Update on 4 2018 Signees Not Yet Enrolled (Oladele update 7/9/18)

LKEEL75

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If I'm not mistaken, this is still only the 2nd non-qual in Gus's 6 classes. Could be wrong. 

Newkirk, Alaric, Carlito, Kayode

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

... and assuming it is an academic thing then appears it is Auburn’s more stringent academic requirements and not an overall NCAA thing ... basically my point is he was probably thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close.

Just out of curiosity, what are AU's academic requirements relative to the NCAA's?  And even more importantly, what are AU's academic levels compared to our immediate recruiting rivals? i.e.  Clemson/FSU/Miami, etc?

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

http://www.theplainsman.com/article/2018/07/four-star-oladele-decommit

Student visa's & many other temporary resident immigration situations in the US (& every other country I'm aware of) are usually not a one & done thing. If he was cleared for a visa last year it would be subject to renewal - how often & what's involved depends on several facts including his country of origin and reasons for being here. Country of origin can make the immigrant's status totally different from one year to the next, something not necessarily easy for Auburn to predict (e.g. Iceland funds Greenland's invasion of Maine in 2017, Icelandics will face higher immigration status scrutiny in US in 2018). I can say from personal experience & opinion that Homeland Security & the complicated Patriot Act & related laws (largely a compilation of previously lightly enforced immigration laws) have in many ways made immigration logistics clearer & smoother for the immigrant than pre terrorist attacks of 9/11.

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

And to be clear, immigration agreements between countries to enhance numbers of student visas that will expire after a date certain (with possible options for renewal) is very common. 

Very unlikely a visa issue. Other D1 teams likely would not be looking to take him now if that were the case.

For all. Can we table all visa talk til we get actual reports saying there's a visa issue. This is not ESPN so I'd like to keep my sports & politics seperate if possible. Thanks!

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If I'm not mistaken, this is still only the 2nd non-qual in Gus's 6 classes. Could be wrong. 

5th

'13: Jason Smith (HS) & Earnest Robinson
'17 Alaric Williams & Carlito Gonzales
'18 Oladele

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

5th

'18 Oladele

Ahhh, forgot about Smith, Robinson and Williams. I should *not* have forgotten about Williams. 

10 minutes ago, keesler said:

Just out of curiosity, what are AU's academic requirements relative to the NCAA's?

We don't have that answer other than we know from Lavon Hooks in 2013 that AU will not accept a D in some core classes even if the overall GPA is satisfactory.

20 minutes ago, keesler said:

And even more importantly, what are AU's academic levels compared to our immediate recruiting rivals? i.e.  Clemson/FSU/Miami, etc?

We don't know other than it's higher than Ole Miss & Memphis. If Oladele goes to another D1 school. we know it's higher than them too.

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

Same situation but different rules in place When he signed there were essentially 2 different 25 limits. A signed 25 & enrolled/initial counter 25 limit. If a player signed but did not enroll they didn't count to the yearly 25 initial counter limit. CG signed with AU before the new rule went into effect Aug. 1, 2017 that made NLIs & enrollies both count in the same 25 as initial counters. He initially counted on the signed 25 limit but not the IC limit.

So let me make sure I understand what you are saying. 

1) He will count as one of our 25 because he signed the NLI?

2) He will re-sign and enroll at another D1 school and count as one of their initial 25?

3) He will be eligible to play immediately at his new school?

If all of that is true, it doesn't make any sense to me, but given we're talking about the NCAA that isn't surprising.  Basically, in practice/reality, it's a player transferring schools with no penalty to the player.  The only entity being penalized here is Auburn University.  So the NCAA counts him twice as an initial 25 enrollee but he is allowed to play with no penalty.  Any idea of the rationality behind the 2017 rule change?  Made a lot more sense in Carlito's situation where he didn't count against us.

So in theory, the NLI means nothing correct?  Nothing is enforced until they actually enroll in the school?  Any recruit could sign an NLI and then re-sign with another team with no penalty as long as they didn't enroll with the school?  What purpose does an NLI serve?  Seems no different than a verbal commitment. 

18 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

1) He will count as one of our 25 because he signed the NLI?

Yes

2) He will re-sign and enroll at another D1 school and count as one of their initial 25?

Doesn't have to resign to go to another D1 school but if he enrolls at another D1 school this Fall he does count to their 2018 limit.

3) He will be eligible to play immediately at his new school?

If his path is the same as Carlito's last year then yes.

in practice/reality, it's a player transferring schools with no penalty to the player. 

If he meets NCAA requirements but not the NLI school's then yes. Anytime a recruit can't meet admitance requirements the NLI is null & void except counting on the NLI team 25 limit. (Yeah I know.NCAA = DUMB).

The only entity being penalized here is Auburn University.

That's by design. The NCAA is trying to limit football teams from over signing.

So the NCAA counts him twice as an initial 25 enrollee but he is allowed to play with no penalty.

Appears that way.

Any idea of the rationality behind the 2017 rule change?

See 2 answers up.

So in theory, the NLI means nothing correct?

Incorrect. It mean a lot from the school's end. If you sign a non qualifier you lose that spot.

Nothing is enforced until they actually enroll in the school?

NLIs are immediately enforceable & are binding 1 year should the recruit meet academic enrollment requirements.

Any recruit could sign an NLI and then re-sign with another team with no penalty as long as they didn't enroll with the school?

Incorrect. They can only go to another school immediately if the meet NCAA enrollment requirements but not the NLI school's enrollment requirements.

What purpose does an NLI serve?

Binds the school & recruit for 1 year as long as the requirements listed above are met.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If he meets NCAA requirements but not the NLI school's then yes. Anytime a recruit can't meet admitance requirements the NLI is null & void except counting on the NLI team 25 limit.

Thanks for all that info.  So, it appears that the problem here is that he meets NCAA requirements, but not Auburn's requirements correct?

Has Auburn University ever made an exception for ANY student to enroll that didn't meet Auburn's admission standards?  Something seems amiss here. Why recruit the guy if you're not sure he can get in?  Was he just that good that we had to take a chance on burning a scholarship spot?

16 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Thanks for all that info.  So, it appears that the problem here is that he meets NCAA requirements, but not Auburn's requirements correct?

If he can go to another D1 school this Fall then that's the only explanation I can see.

Has Auburn University ever made an exception for ANY student to enroll that didn't meet Auburn's admission standards?

To my knowledge not since prop 48 was done away with a good while back.

Why recruit the guy if you're not sure he can get in?

No recruit is technically a sure thing til they graduate HS & get clearance from the NCAA & AU.

Was he just that good that we had to take a chance on burning a scholarship spot?

Don't know. When we took his commitment & NLI the staff was confident he would make it.

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW Marcello talks about the Oladele sitch at the 5 minute mark to the 7:50 mark...

Not giving Marcello any support.

13 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Not giving Marcello any support.

He's a last resort for me too but he's gone into it more publicly than any other AU reporter so far so worth posting IMO.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

5th

'18 Oladele

So Dequan never went to juco?

FWIW based on this article it looks like an NCAA issue & KO will have to finish everything & get NCAA clearance before going to another school.

Auburn signee looking for new home

Jeffrey Lee

Kayode Oladele is looking for a new home.

Oladele, a four-star defensive end from Hialeah, Fla., signed with the Tigers in February, but will not be enrolling at Auburn in the fall.

“I’m not fully qualified because some of my credits were not counted by the NCAA,” Oladele said. “I’m short of some credits, so I have to take more classes.”

“I can’t even grayshirt at Auburn,” Oladele said. “I’m parting ways with Auburn and looking for another home to further my education and football career.”

Oladele said he’ll now work to finish qualifying while searching for a new school.

“I’m open to all schools,” he said.

Oladele is the first academic casualty in Auburn’s 2018 class, which included 24 signees in February and was ranked No. 12 nationally. Four-star defensive lineman

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

So Dequan never went to juco?

He never signeed out of high school so he doesn't count since verbal commits are not binding.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He never signeed out of high school so he doesn't count since verbal commits are not binding.

Gotcha 

21 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

He is "still exploring options for this fall and will make a decision in the next few weeks," per Wolk, who is formerly of SEC Country. Oladele had been awaiting word from the NCAA Clearinghouse about his eligibility after passing the one extra class he needed to take over the summer, per Keith Niebhur of 247Sports, but his decision to not attend Auburn was ultimately the Tigers' call.

It's crap like this that sent the whole saga into a tailspin.  :angry: 

The kid was short more than just one class credit, HE didn't to take care of business in the classroom resulting in no clearance from the NCAA or AU.  Auburn had no choice but to part ways with him, yet the statement above makes it appear AU made the call.

51 minutes ago, keesler said:

It's crap like this that sent the whole saga into a tailspin.  :angry: 

The kid was short more than just one class credit, HE didn't to take care of business in the classroom resulting in no clearance from the NCAA or AU.  Auburn had no choice but to part ways with him, yet the statement above makes it appear AU made the call.

I’m right there with you. I hate it when they post crap like this making it look worse for AU than it is. 

14 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

F45FE78B-9462-4CC6-9C1C-393E62BA2DE5.gif

First time I saw that scene I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe!

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

First time I saw that scene I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe!

My wife just walks out of the room if it comes on now. I’ll laugh to the point of exhaustion.

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Auburn had no choice but to part ways with him yet the statement above makes it appear AU made the call.

Pending on the details they potentially did have a choice. If he could get everything done and cleared before January Auburn still could’ve taken him and counted in either the 2018 or 2019 class. And AU did make the call Instead of waiting on him to finish what he needed to finish.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Pending on the details they potentially did have a choice. If he could get everything done and cleared before January Auburn still could’ve taken him and counted in either the 2018 or 2019 class. And AU did make the call Instead of waiting on him to finish what he needed to finish.

Is it possible that TPB at AU, whether coaches or admins didn't like something they saw in how HE was handling things?  Maybe saw a lack of care or effort?  Thus deciding "nevermind"...

Archived