Run Game Effectiveness Against Washington

KolchakAU85

19 hours ago, bigbird said:

I bet next week, asaginst AlSt, it will be about 80% run if not more.

This. We might have 5 players with 100 rushing yards. Boobee, Kam, Asa, Shiv, Willis

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Win4AU said:

As much as I hate the predictable run up the middle on 1st down I hate even more the lack of run on first down.  Auburn had a lot of 2nd and 8s today that turned into 3rd and 8s.

Makes you wonder how good this offense could be if they didn't start out with a 2 and long that turns into a 3rd and long so often. I would be willing to bet this team over comes more 2nd and 3rd and longs to make a first down than any other team in the nation.

10 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

I hunted.   it was a good day.    I turned off phone and all social media until after I got home and watched the game

so I didn't know who won till about 9 last nite.

I wanted to do that.  But some of the guys at our hunt listened to the game, and I would have heard them talking about it...

One thought I had this morning about the run game, SIAP: 

A good defense can take away even a good, classic Malzahn rushing game if they choose to. Especially when they have all offseason to prepare for it and especially if we're breaking in a lot of new guys on the OL.

What I keep going back to is the fact that we had our bread and butter taken away *so we did something else and won*. In just a couple weeks I may regret every compliment I've paid Gus the last 3 days, but we can only go on what we've got, and I think we've got a much, much different operation going early than we have the last couple seasons. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

What I keep going back to is the fact that we had our bread and butter taken away *so we did something else and won*

this was enormous!   I kept saying during the game, "Chip is making them defend sideline to sideline and we aren't predictable!"   By eliminating the predictability, we were able to find new gaps or softer gaps to exploit.   that was fun to watch!!!  

Great job Chip/coaching staff/whomever (Gus gets credit as HC).    

Dave Aranda has some serious work to do now.  

On 9/1/2018 at 9:53 PM, BigWhiskey91 said:

At the end of the day, we put up 150yds on one of the top defenses from last year, and the run game made two huge plays to end the game (draw play for TD and 3rd down conversion to ice the clock). We were using two new RBs and a rebuilt OL so it’s not that alarming. Cleaning up the run blocking and some more reps for our RBs, and we will be okay. We had worse performances against Mercer and UCF last year. 

My biggest complaint ironically was the lack of jet sweeps? I was shocked we didn’t use them more to stress their defense horizontally.

I asked the same thing about the jet sweep and was told that their DE  were playing wide of which took away that option. Still, I would have loved to have seen it run at least once to see if Swartz or Worm could have outran them.  I do not think we will see many defenses as good as what we saw with UW. LSU is not comparable to UW and we should hang some yardage and scores on them.  I think this team has a chip on its shoulder from last years game with LSU and will be ready to avenge that hard loss.

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

this was enormous!   I kept saying during the game, "Chip is making them defend sideline to sideline and we aren't predictable!"   By eliminating the predictability, we were able to find new gaps or softer gaps to exploit.   that was fun to watch!!!  

Yes how hard is this to ask for? All we wanted.  Now continue it please.

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

Indeed!  

Great job CGM & CCL:!  

On 9/1/2018 at 9:18 PM, oracle79 said:

If we don't improve dramatically, it's going to be a long year. 

Normally I would agree, but the quarterback play and football IQ from Stidham can hide a lot of our weaknesses on offense. I thought he played a near flawless game in terms of not turning the ball over and hitting clutch plays. He's got a heck of an arm too. He could get rid of the ball a bit quicker sometimes, but I think he's good enough to hide a few deficiencies in the run game. The OL will gel and the backs will get more reps, and will slowly get better, I think. We will have our best games against UGA and Bama, IMO. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

One thought I had this morning about the run game, SIAP: 

A good defense can take away even a good, classic Malzahn rushing game if they choose to. Especially when they have all offseason to prepare for it and especially if we're breaking in a lot of new guys on the OL.

What I keep going back to is the fact that we had our bread and butter taken away *so we did something else and won*. In just a couple weeks I may regret every compliment I've paid Gus the last 3 days, but we can only go on what we've got, and I think we've got a much, much different operation going early than we have the last couple seasons. 

They were taking away the run game and the deep shots.  Looked like UW's game plan was to force us to beat them through the air via short/intermediate routes.  Luckily, we did just that.

17 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

They were taking away the run game and the deep shots.  Looked like UW's game plan was to force us to beat them through the air via short/intermediate routes.  Luckily, we did just that.

...and I don't think we could have the last 3 years. I'm really encouraged. I know we still had a rough stretch in the middle of the game but we broke tendencies and were rewarded for it. 

Archived