Clemson Grad Transfer QB Kelly Bryant (Mizzou)

Auburn2Eugene

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

If he were to come to AU in January without graduating from Clemson 1st he would still have to sit the 2019 season so that's another year lost for him. The rule about undergrads having to sit a year after their last semester/quarter at their original school is still in play & was not altered with the new RS 4 game rule. The only way he or any of these other undergrad RS transfers who have played this season will play in 2019 is if they get an NCAA waiver or become a graduate before leaving their original school.

I think it's a moot point regardless. I'm not sure KB is coming to AU. He will want to go to a school. where he is virtually guaranteed to start in 2019 if he is eligible. Don't know where things are now w/ JS potentially leaving after this season but if he does the AU staff is very, very, very high on Bo Nix. They are also pleased with Cord's progression so far.

I think any talk of KB to AU is putting the cart way before the horse until we get actual reports  of the AU staff seriously interested in KB.

Student athletes still only get 1 redshirt year, unless medical RS correct? So kids who have already used their RS cannot utilize the 4 game rule if I am not mistaken. That's how I understood it anyways. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I think it is disrespectful and selfish of Saban to play Hurts unless Tua gets hurt.  Why take a year of eligibility away from him just to prove you're an a--hole?

I can agree with you on Saban being an A-hole. But how they are handling the QB situation is win-win for all involved in my opinion. Saban has a top insurance policy in the event of an injury to Tua. Hurts already has one ring, and came within 1 second of another. He will almost assuredly play for another one this year, albeit as a backup. His legacy is rock solid at Bama. If he stays, he will likely win another ring, and expand his legacy from a championship starting QB, to the epitome of a team player. Then he can still go play for someone else next year. He’s unlikely to be an NFL QB, and probably wont make it long at another position. But he won’t need to. Books will be written about his journey, and he will end up as a highly successful sports anchor. On the other hand, if he leaves now, his legacy with the Tide will be tarnished and he will join the list of many other recent players who will be critiqued for quitting on their team. (I dont look at it that way but many do)

50 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I think it is disrespectful and selfish of Saban to play Hurts unless Tua gets hurt.  Why take a year of eligibility away from him just to prove you're an a--hole?

Because Hurts gets his degree if he stays a mere 3 months longer. Believe me, prior to hearing this fact, I had Hurts gone on 10/15.

35 minutes ago, gr82be said:

JS isn't seeing the field well and I know pressure can contribute to that. I just thought he would be able to over compensate for the OL deficiency while they gained experience and cohesiveness. I like Stidham so I don't want to sound like I've turned on him at all. He played awfully well last year in November and now he just looks different. I just don't think it's all on the line. 

New OL + no Kerryon + under any circumstances no risky throws order by Gus, has turned a 1st Round QB into FA material. I too thought Stidham could compensate for all those factors. Since those two low-risk sideline INTs v LSU, the passing game has shriveled up tighter than a 13-year old's first physical. *cough* *cough*

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

I have an odd feeling this season. Feels like something's off besides the OL. JS isn't seeing the field well and I know pressure can contribute to that. I just thought he would be able to over compensate for the OL deficiency while they gained experience and cohesiveness. I like Stidham so I don't want to sound like I've turned on him at all. He played awfully well last year in November and now he just looks different. I just don't think it's all on the line. 

We are on the same page..........usually I find myself staying up beat......lately I find myself using humor to keep from accepting this may be something more...........strange atmosphere all around college football.

27 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Hurts already has one ring, and came within 1 second of another. He will almost assuredly play for another one this year, albeit as a backup. His legacy is rock solid at Bama. If he stays, he will likely win another ring, and expand his legacy from a championship starting QB, to the epitome of a team player. Then he can still go play for someone else next year. He’s unlikely to be an NFL QB, and probably wont make it long at another position.

If not for Tag, Hurts would have been a two-time consecutive NC game loser. His legacy at UA is anything but rock solid. Can you even imagine the pressure and hatred amongst bammers for Hurts if Tag wasn't an option against Georgia? Hell, they likely would have been shut out against Georgia with Hurts playing the 2nd half. Everyone knows he is only staying for his degree, then is history, off to a new team. Nothing wrong with that. But he will never be regarded as a "bammer legend" or a "team player." In fact, ever since his preseason outburst about no one at UA caring about what he thinks, I've had a level-headed bammer bud done nothing but dog him, saying he doesn't deserve to still be on the team after his outburst.

And let me confirm it for you, Hurts has never, is not, and will never be a NFL QB or any other position in the NFL unless it's a tackling dummy.

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

What if I told you... that there would be whispers that Stidham might come back for another year... and I wouldn't be sure how I felt about it...

Time for him to ...

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5bac5dd13359334345

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

What if I told you... that there would be whispers that Stidham might come back for another year... and I wouldn't be sure how I felt about it...

I would understand your POV however he's not the problem. He's the casualty & most QBs would be struggling with our situation, Kelly Bryant included.

5 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Student athletes still only get 1 redshirt year, unless medical RS correct? So kids who have already used their RS cannot utilize the 4 game rule if I am not mistaken. That's how I understood it anyways. 

Correct.

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

I have an odd feeling this season. Feels like something's off besides the OL. JS isn't seeing the field well and I know pressure can contribute to that. I just thought he would be able to over compensate for the OL deficiency while they gained experience and cohesiveness. I like Stidham so I don't want to sound like I've turned on him at all. He played awfully well last year in November and now he just looks different. I just don't think it's all on the line. 

giphy.gif

• ellitor changed the title to Clemson Grad Transfer QB Kelly Bryant
12 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

With another hot freshman QB (Nix) who can start I can’t see him wanting to be in that situation again. 

I can't think of anything odder than viewing Bo Nix, who isnt a generational HS talent like Trevor Lawrence or in the same realm IMO, as true competition to start over KB year 1. And even if you're looking from his perspective, I doubt Kelly truly views him as comp regardless. Everyone knew the second that Alabama game finished that KB would've been fighting for his job vs Trevor

4 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

If not for Tag, Hurts would have been a two-time consecutive NC game loser. His legacy at UA is anything but rock solid. Can you even imagine the pressure and hatred amongst bammers for Hurts if Tag wasn't an option against Georgia? Hell, they likely would have been shut out against Georgia with Hurts playing the 2nd half. Everyone knows he is only staying for his degree, then is history, off to a new team. Nothing wrong with that. But he will never be regarded as a "bammer legend" or a "team player." In fact, ever since his preseason outburst about no one at UA caring about what he thinks, I've had a level-headed bammer bud done nothing but dog him, saying he doesn't deserve to still be on the team after his outburst.

And let me confirm it for you, Hurts has never, is not, and will never be a NFL QB or any other position in the NFL unless it's a tackling dummy.

all that being said, he'd be the third best QB (at worst) here this millenium lol...and I mean in the context of playing here all years not over there. Guy has a winner's mentality and outward leadership that we havent seen here since Cam and his attributes would be miles better here than a UA team that's predicated on hitting timely passes. Id say Jalen on an avg day is at least as good throwing as 2013 Nick. 

He's a lovable guy that responded loudly after being BS'd by Alabama's system for months on end just so they could have a competent backup in case Tua failed. I havent seen anything that wouldnt make him a quality starter here, especially with his legs and this project of an OL 

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

I would understand your POV however he's not the problem. He's the casualty & most QBs would be struggling with our situation, Kelly Bryant included.

I mostly agree. Which is why him coming back likely wouldn't do us much good and would only further harm his career.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I mostly agree. Which is why him coming back likely wouldn't do us much good and would only further harm his career.

One has to believe that next years o-line will be much more experienced and improved, and our freshman skill players will be much better as well. I believe JS will leave after this year, but whoever the QB is will be in a great position to succeed. 

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

One has to believe that next years o-line will be much more experienced and improved, and our freshman skill players will be much better as well. I believe JS will leave after this year, but whoever the QB is will be in a great position to succeed. 

Would've agreed with you right up until this season started. 

12 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Because Hurts gets his degree if he stays a mere 3 months longer. Believe me, prior to hearing this fact, I had Hurts gone on 10/15.

I am in no way saying he should just walk off right now.  By all means he should stay, stand on the sidelines, encourage his team, be ready to go if needed and graduate in December.

My contention is that if he plays in another unnecessary game, as the first four were, he loses a year of football eligibility if he does transfer.  Saban knows that.  Unless they have discussed this and Hurts is OK with losing a year, Saban is wrong and selfish in playing Hurts unnecessarily.  

1 minute ago, around4ever said:

I am in no way saying he should just walk off right now.  By all means he should stay, stand on the sidelines, encourage his team, be ready to go if needed and graduate in December.

My contention is that if he plays in another unnecessary game, as the first four were, he loses a year of football eligibility if he does transfer.  Saban knows that.  Unless they have discussed this and Hurts is OK with losing a year, Saban is wrong and selfish in playing Hurts unnecessarily.  

Saban made it known that he wouldn’t respect Jalen’s redshirt wishes if he stayed. 

On tbe other hand, Dabo told Bryant that he could hang around if he wanted to without jeopardizing his redshirt.

Correct!  I understand that Saban is a control freak and it works very well for him at UAT.  But, in my opinion, this shows he has no respect, compassion or concern for the player's well being.  All he cares about is winning, being called the greatest college coach ever and disrespecting media. 

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

For me the possibility of Stidham staying...

For what it’s worth, I don’t think he stays Even if his draft stock drops. I think he’ll be ready to leave Auburn regardless.

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

For what it’s worth, I don’t think he stays Even if his draft stock drops. I think he’ll be ready to leave Auburn regardless.

Agree....engaged to a girl in Texas, …should be close to having his degree....seems like his life future is not in the state of Alabama...

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Can't imagine him seeing any reason to stay on this team after this year. 

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

all that being said, he'd be the third best QB (at worst) here this millenium lol...and I mean in the context of playing here all years not over there. Guy has a winner's mentality and outward leadership that we havent seen here since Cam and his attributes would be miles better here than a UA team that's predicated on hitting timely passes. Id say Jalen on an avg day is at least as good throwing as 2013 Nick. 

He's a lovable guy that responded loudly after being BS'd by Alabama's system for months on end just so they could have a competent backup in case Tua failed. I havent seen anything that wouldnt make him a quality starter here, especially with his legs and this project of an OL 

3rd best QB since 2000? Hilarious. Guy has a terribly inaccurate arm. Gets his rushing stats off scrambles and the occasional draw. Avoids contact, which made it simple to scout him. I predicted Steele would put a spy on him and flush him to the sidelines. Exactly what he did. His one big passing play was essentially a desperate hail mary in which the WR pushed off our DB. Kirby Smart merely followed the blueprint that Steele laid out and shut him down too.

Marshall has a much better arm. Marshall just didn’t have the luxury of Calvin Ridley to throw to.

Hurts would be a bust in a zone read offense as he avoids contact and has zero lateral quickness, like Cam and Marshall were exceptional at. 

55 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Someone posted a link in this thread that points out Saban and Hurts came to an agreement about the remainder of this season. That tells me Hurts is good with just one eligible season left. 

Archived