AuburnTiger4Life

Fire Gus (merged threads)

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

"Easy to win when you hold all the cards."

And when Leath's idea of negotiating is simply to say OK. Believe it!  Seriously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




4 hours ago, Tiger said:

@AUwarriorIn what capacity would it be negative PR for us to fire him with the buyout? It'd show the rest of the landscape that we are serious about winning and we will pay for it. Coaches around the country are understanding Gus is not a good coach so us cutting him loose wouldn't deter anyone from coming to AU IMO. They know he's a joke at this point in his career due to inability to progress his system. Coaches talk to one another, I promise it's not a secret. I bet Pruitt, Saban, and Smart all have shared many laughs laughs over how dumb our offense and how it's run is.

Shoot, even Ed O is probably chuckling it up with Aranda after their literal one adjustment put our O into the tank last season.

I think if we gave him $30M+ to leave it would be viewed as an obscene amount of money by the general public. Lately it seems like there is a lot more attention on the rising cost of college and the massive amounts of debt students are graduating with so I don't think it would look good to basically piss away $30M+. and it could draw some negative attention. I dont mean from football fans, I mean from the general public. On the flip side maybe it could open a serious public discussion about the absurd contracts that many college coaches are being given.

  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AUwarrior said:

I think if we gave him $30M+ to leave it would be viewed as an obscene amount of money by the general public. Lately it seems like there is a lot more attention on the rising cost of college and the massive amounts of debt students are graduating with so I don't think it would look good to basically piss away $30M+. and it could draw some negative attention. I dont mean from football fans, I mean from the general public. On the flip side maybe it could open a serious public discussion about the absurd contracts that many college coaches are being given.

"General public" as you put it....or academics.... already view sports as wasteful.  The football world couldn't care less what they think.

Auburn's already a laughing stock to it's peers for the contract anyway.  The results of this season only solidify the ridiculousness that the contract was.  

Cut your losses.  Hire a competent HC, hopefully with a reasonable contract (here's where AD Greene can really make an impression) and forget about Gus & the money.  None of us could care less about the money once Gus is gone.

Edited by AUsince72
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

 Meanwhile he just won the West and had his starting QB coming back, most of the defense, and a killer WR corp along with a Top 10 recruiting class.

Yep. Also Gus truly believed that we were going to the playoffs this year. He was very confident. We had everything... except an OL, a running back, and a good game plan on offense. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Not really an apples to apples comparison between Michigan State and Auburn, but ok.  Saban came in after MSU went 0-11 the year before and had won 8 or more games only 4 times in the previous 28 seasons (they won 8 three times and 9 once).  Saban improved them to 6-5-1 his first season and hung there until his fifth year, when he went 9-2.  Gus on the other hand came in two seasons removed from a national championship, with many of the player he'd recruited for his system still there and took off, only to have spectacular ineptitude in the three seasons that followed.  He partially puts it together last year after a craptastic showing at Clemson and an inexplicable loss at LSU after leading by 20 and goes on a run, only to see it die on the vine because he can't recruit more than one good tailback.

Now here we are with many of the pieces back from that run and we're staring at 6-6, if we're lucky enough to win this weekend.  And it's not just that we'd be 6-6, it's the bumbling, Keystone Cops way we get there.  We look absolutely lost.  

 

Sometimes you have to swallow the bitter pill.  Putting it off fixes nothing.

Definitely not apples to apples, I mainly was using him as a general example to show that there have been coaches who took a decade to reach elite results.  Great info on MSU, it kind of highlights part of the reason I want to give CGM a couple more years. Saban was under next to no pressure to win at a program like that. He was green and had the freedom to try different things and figure out what works. Gus on the other hand has had to try to figure out how to be a HC while basically in a pressure cooker where his every move is criticized while being expected to win immediately. I get it though, when things are bad people dont want to see the good and when things are good people dont want to see the bad. I just think so far his good has far outweighed his bad but I understand why people are focused on the bad currently.  Since 2013 Saban has lost 4 SEC games, 2 of those are to CGM. It takes skill to do that and that gives me hope for the future.  Yeah yeah Hugh Freeze got the other 2 but he was cheating. lol War Eagle!

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Are there still Gus supporters out there or is the majority for firing Gus?

Is that going to be on the ballot Nov.6th? LOL!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2018 at 3:06 PM, shabby said:

People are delusional if they think that Gus's contract keep him safe I don't buy that for a second.

From what I have heard and have read from a good source, firing Gus at season's end is a real possibility and the money will be there to do the deed. Part of it will be paid upon the good riddance ceremony, and the rest over the next  3-4 years. The coach searching committee better get it right. I hope that they would have Bo Jackson and Frank Thomas on the committee along with some former Auburn football players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, cctiger said:

Is that going to be on the ballot Nov.6th? LOL!

Since bammer fans outnumber Auburn fans heavily, guess we're keeping Gus ... LOL

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

From what I have heard and have read from a good source, firing Gus at season's end is a real possibility and the money will be there to do the deed. Part of it will be paid upon the good riddance ceremony, and the rest over the next  3-4 years. The coach searching committee better get it right. I hope that they would have Bo Jackson and Frank Thomas on the committee along with some former Auburn football players.

I hope there's no committee.

From what I've read Corch & Bird need to just send their lists to AD Greene and he needs to go from there.

😁

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Are there still Gus supporters out there or is the majority for firing Gus?

I’m a stability supporter. I’ve been accused of being a sunshine pumper recently and that’s caused me to do some self reflection. I’m also a consistency supporter on the plus side, so I recognize that Gus has been disappointing  there. If we are going to fire Gus, I wish it would go ahead and happen. The speculation will soon take it’s toll on the recruits and the team. We cannot sacrifice the locker room in favor of stability.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

We didn't have an AD.  He got advice from powerful people but he steered that thing himself and signed off on that stuff and no one really had the authority to stop him.

Maybe we can find some loophole that finds that Leath was incompetent and not of sound mind when he negotiated this contract!  I honestly think that if the season goes as far south as it can go, there will be big money contributors ready to negotiate some kind of deal that will get Gus gone. If this happens, you can bet the farm that a competent coach will be hired. There are many good options out there. I like:

1. Brian Harsin -Boise State

2. Bill Clark -UAB

3. John Grass - JSU

4. Lance Leipold - Buffalo 

5. Will Muschamp -USC

6. David Shaw -Stanford

7. Paul Chryst - Wisconsin

8. Dave Aranda -LSU DC

9. Brent Venables -Clemson DC

10. PJ Fleck - Minnesota

11. Mike Norvell - Memphis HC

12. Justin Fuentes - VaTech HC

13. Lane Kiffin - FAU

14. Mark Richt - Miami HC

There are others out there as well. We have to get it right this time around with no exceptions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sevenlee36 said:

Are there still Gus supporters out there or is the majority for firing Gus?

I think that another year should be given. A lot of down aspects hit in perfect storm on offense. I see OL getting better, and RBs are settling in. Stidham still baffles me, and was supposed to be the bright spot.

I’m just not ready to set blazes to all the contacts. I felt the same way the year Tommy’s forced OC debacle blew up. Especially considering he wanted to hire his Arkansas buddy, Gus, who did well that next year.

41 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

From what I have heard and have read from a good source, firing Gus at season's end is a real possibility and the money will be there to do the deed. Part of it will be paid upon the good riddance ceremony, and the rest over the next  3-4 years. The coach searching committee better get it right. I hope that they would have Bo Jackson and Frank Thomas on the committee along with some former Auburn football players.

Forget that jazz. Committee, maybe. Load it with “AU men/women”? No. Everyone boohoos about the GOB network and this would just keep that alive and thriving.  Bama did well to drop the inbreeding (Shula, etc) and step out and grab Saban.... even if he was plan B (maybe C).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad but true Leath was incompetent  and inexperienced to do this contract with Gus.  Sexton took advantage and played Auburn and Arkansas against each other. Makes you wonder where our Tustees and Football minds were thinking.  Centainly not Auburn University  o r the Program.  Gus will laugh all the way to the Bank. We will pay for years. I am getting  to rhetoric point I have not been since Barfield days. Sorry guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

I think that another year should be given. A lot of down aspects hit in perfect storm on offense. I see OL getting better, and RBs are settling in. Stidham still baffles me, and was supposed to be the bright spot.

I’m just not ready to set blazes to all the contacts. I felt the same way the year Tommy’s forced OC debacle blew up. Especially considering he wanted to hire his Arkansas buddy, Gus, who did well that next year.

Forget that jazz. Committee, maybe. Load it with “AU men/women”? No. Everyone boohoos about the GOB network and this would just keep that alive and thriving.  Bama did well to drop the inbreeding (Shula, etc) and step out and grab Saban.... even if he was plan B (maybe C).

Bo and Frank are as about as good as you can get for Auburn Men. Both played football at Auburn and would make sure we got a coach that can do what Gus has been unable to do. There are many excellent coaching options out there no doubt and Auburn would attract some great options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a search committee last two times....which guarantees nothing.  Committees or ADs get it wrong about as often as they get it right....maybe more often if you look at how many new coaches there are in the SEC in recent years.  

JMO but having a bunch of former football players as the committee is about the worst possible make-up of a committee with the task of finding the right guy for AU.  

 

PS...and IMO there are very few good and likely candidates out there.....and few who have coached against a season of SEC caliber teams....

Edited by AU64

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Maybe we can find some loophole that finds that Leath was incompetent and not of sound mind when he negotiated this contract!  I honestly think that if the season goes as far south as it can go, there will be big money contributors ready to negotiate some kind of deal that will get Gus gone. If this happens, you can bet the farm that a competent coach will be hired. There are many good options out there. I like:

1. Brian Harsin -Boise State

2. Bill Clark -UAB

3. John Grass - JSU

4. Lance Leipold - Buffalo 

5. Will Muschamp -USC

6. David Shaw -Stanford

7. Paul Chryst - Wisconsin

8. Dave Aranda -LSU DC

9. Brent Venables -Clemson DC

10. PJ Fleck - Minnesota

11. Mike Norvell - Memphis HC

12. Justin Fuentes - VaTech HC

13. Lane Kiffin - FAU

14. Mark Richt - Miami HC

There are others out there as well. We have to get it right this time around with no exceptions. 

You leave Kiffin and Matt Campbell off on purpose? I’d put Campbell near the top.

Edited by sevenlee36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

From what I have heard and have read from a good source, firing Gus at season's end is a real possibility and the money will be there to do the deed. Part of it will be paid upon the good riddance ceremony, and the rest over the next  3-4 years. The coach searching committee better get it right. I hope that they would have Bo Jackson and Frank Thomas on the committee along with some former Auburn football players.

Don’t tease me. I hope you’re right. Quicker he’s gone. Quicker things improve. Otherwise this is really going to suck for the foreseeable future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tiger said:

What kind of world are we living in where an Auburn win over Ole Miss dictates whether the man is fired or not. If we have arrived at this place he should be fired anyways.

Scary. Just as scary...we were that team to LSU two years ago.😳

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listened to Bryan Matthews and Jay Tate podcast. They think there's a real chance Gus is fired during bye week if AU loses to Ole Miss. Says he has little to no ability to fire his players up to play for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CR said:

Listened to Bryan Matthews and Jay Tate podcast. They think there's a real chance Gus is fired during bye week if AU loses to Ole Miss. Says he has little to no ability to fire his players up to play for him.

I don’t understand folks. TAM just went out and got Jimbo for 75 million because they want to win not just be average. That was in addition to buying out Sumlin. D1 (especially SEC west) is a massive money train. They were not scared for a minute to spend the money because they know the return on that money will be a lot. AU can pay the 32 million and still invest 50 million more over 7 to 10 years and still be under what TAM just spent. Heck uat has Saben at about 80 million over the next 10 years in guaranteed money even if he walks. If you don’t want to run with the big dogs just stay on the porch. Another words go big or go home. Nuff said.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been pissed off at how s***ty Gus has been.  However, I want to keep him.  All of you can downvote me.  I feel the effects of the sunk cost fallacy, amd I think he will learn and adjust.   

  • Haha 2
  • Dislike 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I don’t understand folks. TAM just went out and got Jimbo for 75 million because they want to win not just be average. That was in addition to buying out Sumlin. D1 (especially SEC west) is a massive money train. They were not scared for a minute to spend the money because they know the return on that money will be a lot. AU can pay the 32 million and still invest 50 million more over 7 to 10 years and still be under what TAM just spent. Heck uat has Saben at about 80 million over the next 10 years in guaranteed money even if he walks. If you don’t want to run with the big dogs just stay on the porch. Another words go big or go home. Nuff said.

What was his record his last year at FSU? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I find all of the talk fascinating, but still...  This is like fantasy stuff we are talking about here, right? I read rivals, and what the mod over there is selling is subscriptions. I think he is casting a net like a "shock" journalist and people are jumping in like fish. Talking about firing the president of a university or the head football coach ? Talking about not paying him or paying him less money to bow out? That is crazy talk.  IF we canned Gus we would have to pay per his contract because if we did not, there would not be a coach to want to come here...ever. Maybe there are some super rich boosters (not Tim Cook) that are willing to pony up this cash but come on...it seems very, very far fetched. 

First as far as not paying Florida just did McE like that and it didn’t effect them getting the coach they wanted. But I doubt anyone from AU is considering not paying . In case you missed it we would owe Gus 15 million up front then 4 million a year for 4 years. We do have boosters that would be willing to pony straight up but it’s not needed. AU can write the first check tomorrow without flinching a bit. Folks keep talking about renovations it’s not a money thing , it’s about the long term plan and what we really want vs need. It’s not like we sell out tickets now without discounting them. When we start having a waiting list for seats like other teams do then we can look at increasing seats.   For those that think the University Athletics doesn’t have money in reserve then your just not checking the right sources. As far a return. If we can become revenant year in and year out ( not just once a decade) then our revenue will go through the roof. We could net an additional 50 to 80 million a year. Look across the state that’s exactly what they did.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AUwarrior said:

Definitely not apples to apples, I mainly was using him as a general example to show that there have been coaches who took a decade to reach elite results.  Great info on MSU, it kind of highlights part of the reason I want to give CGM a couple more years. Saban was under next to no pressure to win at a program like that. He was green and had the freedom to try different things and figure out what works. Gus on the other hand has had to try to figure out how to be a HC while basically in a pressure cooker where his every move is criticized while being expected to win immediately. I get it though, when things are bad people dont want to see the good and when things are good people dont want to see the bad. I just think so far his good has far outweighed his bad but I understand why people are focused on the bad currently.  Since 2013 Saban has lost 4 SEC games, 2 of those are to CGM. It takes skill to do that and that gives me hope for the future.  Yeah yeah Hugh Freeze got the other 2 but he was cheating. lol War Eagle!

Don't know if you've ever seen the football life series on Bill Belichick when he began his head coaching career with Cleveland.  He had a TON of coaches under him that are now successful coaches and/or GM's from that staff.  Saban was his DC.  I'll bet Saban put in more hours in those 4-5 years (before he was a college head coach) than Gus has put in in his total career.  Comparing those two is like comparing General George Patton to PFC Gomer Pyle.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now