The perception of Freshmen QB

AUght2win

Tua, Justin Fields, and Trevor Lawrence have all done what was once impossible: dethroning an established, winning QB as true freshmen. I credit the abundance of year around 7-on-7 camps and combines, not to mention early enrollment, for having kids more ready to play than ever. 

With this new trend, I think the fans' EXPECTATION is going to be that, no matter what, Bo Nix will be Auburn's starting quarterback to open next season. A lot of people are going to be restless if he isn't, ala the Kelly Bryant and Fromm situations. 

Do you guys agree? Will Bo be QB1 next fall?

29 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Gus won't be able to decide until 3, or 4 days before the opener, at which time we may see as many as 5 players taking snaps....Oh wait.

It all depends whether or not Gus is here in 2019.

2 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

What did I miss?  I thought Fromm was still the man?

Fields did not even play against Florida. Not sure where he got that from

2 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Fields did not even play against Florida. Not sure where he got that from

Until the Florida game there was a lot of talk of JF taking over. I think had Fromm had a bad game, following the LSU loss, he would've been yanked.

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Yeah, I read that and he's not gonna be taking over for Fromm.  But, while watching them play Florida, around halftime, I was actually expecting a change until Georgia kind of took command of the game.  Fromm did take over as a freshman, and now I don't expect him to lose the job until he probably goes pro after his junior year. So Fields will sit again next year, or transfer.

12 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Justin Fields

Hasn’t even started yet. 

There are better examples though. Josh Rosen did well as a TF.  Fromm. Jake Bentley did reasonably well as a TF. Shea Patterson played great for 3 games with Ole Miss.  It’s possible for TF to do well if they have a great supporting cast. In our case, we will bave Boobee and receivers and a horrible OL. We don’t need to shellshock Nix.

On 11/2/2018 at 4:41 AM, aujeff11 said:

Hasn’t even started yet. 

There are better examples though. Josh Rosen did well as a TF.  Fromm. Jake Bentley did reasonably well as a TF. Shea Patterson played great for 3 games with Ole Miss.  It’s possible for TF to do well if they have a great supporting cast. In our case, we will bave Boobee and receivers and a horrible OL. We don’t need to shellshock Nix.

I guess the difference is TF quarterbacks have played before, but they usually take the reigns when a program is a dumpster fire and there's no established winner at the position (ala what Gabe Gross did in '98).

Tua, JF, and Lawrence were all highly touted guys who came in and dethroned established QBs (JF hasn't yet but, again, there's a lot of talk about it).

If Stidham stays, I think the fanbase is still gonna be clamoring for Nix to take the job from day 1. It's the new expectation for star QBs coming out of high school. 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

If Stidham stays, I think the fanbase is gonna be clamoring for Nix to take the job from day 1

The QB that gives you the best chance of winning should always play. 

23 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I guess the difference is TF quarterbacks have played before, but they usually take the reigns when a program is a dumpster fire and there's no established winner at the position (ala what Gabe Gross did in '98).

Tua, JF, and Lawrence were all highly touted guys who came in and dethroned established QBs (JF hasn't yet but, again, there's a lot of talk about it).

If Stidham stays, I think the fanbase is still gonna be clamoring for Nix to take the job from day 1. It's the new expectation for star QBs coming out of high school. 

That will depend on who the OC is next year.

If nothing changes or Gus hires another yes-man, then I firmly believe that he'll grad transfer or try his hand at the NFL draft.

If Hugh Freeze comes in, which seems to be the prevailing feeling/rumor now, then the perception is that Gus might actually trust him to run the O.  If so, he could do wonders with JS and maybe ANY of the QB's currently on roster.

Archived