Will SEC allow Freeze to Auburn

provibe

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, keesler said:

Yeah wellllll, supposedly this ^^^^^ exact thing was supposed to have happened 2 yrs ago when he was forced to can Lashley and hire a new OC.  Supposedly he was told that he had to relinquish the controls of the offense and let Lindsey run this thing.  Least we forget that Gus was "coaching for his job" back in 2016 too and he had to be told to make a change at OC.  We were told on this very board by some insiders that Gus was dictated to and told that he had to pull himself away from the offense.  Now see where we are today?

Gus flip flopped a time or two in the process with "I'm going to take a CEO role, step back & let the OC do his job"....only to turn his ass around a few months later when the ish hit the fan and say "I'm a coach at my core and I'm going to get more involved in the game-planning and play-calling because that's where I feel most comfortable."   

Honestly, I've had my fill of the CGM experiment.  At the same time, I understand the financial repercussions and the uncertainty of starting over - Auburn may do better with a new crew and it may do worse.   

I’d rather him sink on his own vs. being told to hire an OC and get out of the way, whenever Auburn admins get involved with telling someone who should be hired it has not ended well (at least on my lifetime) Gus is married to his system. When this happens essentially you are no longer the head coach, especially if a non-football person is telling you what to do, who to hire, etc. 

I remember before Gus left for Arky St or somewhere people were saying he was being handcuffed by Chizik. There was a % of posters who was happy he left, some felt Chizik had handcuffed him, others not so much. Some even indicated Chizik was telling him what plays he wanted to run. I still remember those that said it’s great we are moving away from his lame offense. It’s not true Auburn football, and the only reason we won was because No2 was running the offense. Finally we are gonna get back to old I formation Auburn football. In comes Scotty Loeffler (you know he once coached Tom Brady to save the day) that excitement flamed out real real quick...

24 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I remember before Gus left for Arky St or somewhere people were saying he was being handcuffed by Chizik. There was a % of posters who was happy he left, some felt Chizik had handcuffed him, others not so much. Some even indicated Chizik was telling him what plays he wanted to run. I still remember those that said it’s great we are moving away from his lame offense. It’s not true Auburn football, and the only reason we won was because No2 was running the offense. Finally we are gonna get back to old I formation Auburn football. In comes Scotty Loeffler (you know he once coached Tom Brady to save the day) that excitement flamed out real real quick...

Do you have a point to this?

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Yeah wellllll, supposedly this ^^^^^ exact thing was supposed to have happened 2 yrs ago when he was forced to can Lashley and hire a new OC.  Supposedly he was told that he had to relinquish the controls of the offense and let Lindsey run this thing.  Least we forget that Gus was "coaching for his job" back in 2016 too and he had to be told to make a change at OC.  We were told on this very board by some insiders that Gus was dictated to and told that he had to pull himself away from the offense.  Now see where we are today  

And then baseball, softball, and basketball issues happened and new president and new AD.  Gus was the benefit of being lost in that shuffle and no one stayed on top of those ultimatums plus beating 2 #1's and Arky job and JJ resigning and Sexton etc.  Be interesting to see how it plays out this time.  What goes around, comes around if you live long enough.

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

I gotta say, the last 2 drives looked so different not only from a success rate standpoint but just what we were trying to do it didn't look like the same person calling plays for the first 55 minutes was the same one calling the last 2 drives.

This is true. That had to be Lindsey calling a pass immediately after the Davis long catch and run. I was already thinking a run up the middle and settling for a game tying field goal.

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

IIRC, he's a member of the Gus Brigade. His point is that Gus is great.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I read the point as being we seem to have had a constant "who's ordering the code red" situation for the past decade. Just Auburn being Auburn with the same rumor's on a different day. Hell, we had these exact same conversations with Borges and Tuberville.

This coach handcuffed this coach, this coach handcuffed that coach, this coach is our savior, that coach is our savior.

54 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I read the point as being we seem to have had a constant "who's ordering the code red" situation for the past decade. Just Auburn being Auburn with the same rumor's on a different day. Hell, we had these exact same conversations with Borges and Tuberville.

This coach handcuffed this coach, this coach handcuffed that coach, this coach is our savior, that coach is our savior.

Exactly..

1 hour ago, selias said:

IIRC, he's a member of the Gus Brigade. His point is that Gus is great.

That would be incorrect....I’m part of the Auburn brigade...get right next time.

Let's say we have Freeze next year who coaches a great passing game. The problem is going to be that we won't have a good passing QB to make this thing go, the exception being a true Freshman. Freeze and Stidham would be the perfect duo imo so let me lay this on the table. If Stidham gets a lower draft grade than expected and Freeze becomes a reality, could there be a possibility that Stidham might want to stay another year ?  Or after getting clobbered so much this year with this OL, is he gone no matter what ?

5 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

My top choice to replace Malzahn would be James Franklin as Heach Coach and either Lane Kiffin, Hugh Freeze or Mario Cristobal to be our OC/QB coach.

You forgot Bill Belichick and Nick Saban as co DCs.

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

Let's say we have Freeze next year who coaches a great passing game. The problem is going to be that we won't have a good passing QB to make this thing go, the exception being a true Freshman. Freeze and Stidham would be the perfect duo imo so let me lay this on the table. If Stidham gets a lower draft grade than expected and Freeze becomes a reality, could there be a possibility that Stidham might want to stay another year ?  Or after getting clobbered so much this year with this OL, is he gone no matter what ?

Kelly Bryant might be a real option as well. I think Freeze would love to have a DT QB like him to work with. It may also help to mask our OL issues.

I like the thought of it. Freeze passing game to compliment Gus run game.  Also,. Freeze could kick start some Oline recruiting much like Muschamp did with our Dline and Linebackers.  That in itself would be worth it.  

12 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

This is true. That had to be Lindsey calling a pass immediately after the Davis long catch and run. I was already thinking a run up the middle and settling for a game tying field goal.

We were setting that up for the Bama game...now how are we going to win that one?

13 hours ago, DAG said:

I think the points are this"

1) some people who think that know what's going on with Gus and the offense have no clue and are just shooting off their mouth and 2) some folks who are so vocally upset actually don't have a better plan.... and have the foolish idea that any change is an improvement, a viewpoint that has been the downfall of many football programs over the years.      

Anyway....just how I see it....

10 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Kelly Bryant might be a real option as well. I think Freeze would love to have a DT QB like him to work with. It may also help to mask our OL issues.

If we can get Kelly Bryant and Coach Freeze I will be a happy guy. At this point I don’t see Gus getting fired so we will just have to suck it up.  Same offensive line and all.. 

10 hours ago, PigskinPat said:
11 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

We haven't heard much about him but at his age and a full season and off-season under his belt of getting back into football shape, I imagine Cord will be a viable option under Freeze.  He's not what I'd call a True DT but he might be similar to a Shea Patterson or Chad Kelly (hopefully w/out CK's mental issues).

I've given up on Gus ever using a True DT again...

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

If we can get Kelly Bryant and Coach Freeze I will be a happy guy. At this point I don’t see Gus getting fired so we will just have to suck it up.  Same offensive line and all.. 

KB + Freeze = hella fun

OL is what it is. I don’t think they can be any worse next year considering everyone is returning. 

11 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

JS is likely gone no matter what. Wish he would let the coaches know that soon so we have a shot at Kelly Bryant.

Just now, Zeek said:

KB + Freeze = hella fun

OL is what it is. I don’t think they can be any worse next year considering everyone is returning. 

& HOPEFULLY Freeze would have contact (and the freedom to choose) a good OLine Coach....

7 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

JS is likely gone no matter what. Wish he would let the coaches know that soon so we have a shot at Kelly Bryant.

He may have.  Gus wouldn't let us know...

Story in the recruiting thread is Auburn didn't want KB and already passed.  However, oddly enough, he came to Auburn for a visit last week.

... maybe something changed?

11 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

He may have.  Gus wouldn't let us know...

Story in the recruiting thread is Auburn didn't want KB and already passed.  However, oddly enough, he came to Auburn for a visit last week.

... maybe something changed?

Not only that apparently we offered him too. So hopefully that means JS is on his way out. I don’t know how much more he can bring to the table 

20 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

& HOPEFULLY Freeze would have contact (and the freedom to choose) a good OLine Coach....

Agreed, open the check book for OL coach. Need someone who can recruit as well as coach.

Archived