Random QB talk Mainly Centered on Nick Marshall

Scotty2Hotty

20 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

He is better passed than NM was in my opinion.

Couldn’t disagree more. Marshall had the strongest cannon arm in CFB I’ve ever seen and was accurate between the hashes. Sure he missed some passes, but was a more impressive passer than Bryant. Plus Bryant had a much better group of WRs than Marshall. 

1 hour ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Couldn’t disagree more. Marshall had the strongest cannon arm in CFB I’ve ever seen and was accurate between the hashes. Sure he missed some passes, but was a more impressive passer than Bryant. Plus Bryant had a much better group of WRs than Marshall. 

I would never doubt the arm strength of Nick Marshall.... Definitely a strong arm... And was pretty impressive to be a DB turned QB... And was more accurate than anticipated... But I still think KB is more polished and a more prototypical dt QB. I would love to have NM again... Oh heaven please!!!! Bring back NM ....I can wish right.... I need to go watch more film maybe you're right I'm just going if my recent memory which can be skeptical

I would have to say he definitely that NM didn't have the strongest arm I have ever seen though.....I can think of plenty of cfb qbs with stronger arms.... But he had a good arm. 

Also, I think Nick was extremely cautious. He seemed to always miss away from the defender. Was probably coached to avoid interceptions at all costs. There were times when he just straight up missed, but he threw very few picks IIRC.

And he had the strongest arm I can recall since Vick. 

You don't hold Georgia state passing records for Deshaun Watson to beat if you aren't a good passer. Nick did. #CaseClosed #DerailmentOver

On 11/2/2018 at 2:17 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

I would never doubt the arm strength of Nick Marshall.... Definitely a strong arm... And was pretty impressive to be a DB turned QB... And was more accurate than anticipated... But I still think KB is more polished and a more prototypical dt QB. I would love to have NM again... Oh heaven please!!!! Bring back NM ....I can wish right.... I need to go watch more film maybe you're right I'm just going if my recent memory which can be skeptical

For the billionth time, Nick Marshall was a QB in high school and a QB in JUCO. Mark Richt moved him to DB, where he never played, due to QB depth.

Bryant is a good DT QB, but couldn't shine Marshall's shoes when it comes to rushing.

Marshall had 1068 yards rushing in 2013 and 798 in 2014 with more emphasis on the pass.

Bryant had 665 yards in 2017.

On 11/2/2018 at 2:20 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

I would have to say he definitely that NM didn't have the strongest arm I have ever seen though.....I can think of plenty of cfb qbs with stronger arms.... But he had a good arm. 

Name another CFB QB who has thrown it 63+ yards taking only a SINGLE step forward.

On 11/2/2018 at 2:46 PM, McLoofus said:

Also, I think Nick was extremely cautious. He seemed to always miss away from the defender. Was probably coached to avoid interceptions at all costs. There were times when he just straight up missed, but he threw very few picks IIRC.

And he had the strongest arm I can recall since Vick. 

Yep, Vick is the only QB I can think of that could throw it as far as Marshall flat-footed. But Marshall had more velocity, esp in 2014.

15 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

For the billionth time, Nick Marshall was a QB in high school and a QB in JUCO. Mark Richt moved him to DB, where he never played, due to QB depth.

Bryant is a good DT QB, but couldn't shine Marshall's shoes when it comes to rushing.

Marshall had 1068 yards rushing in 2013 and 798 in 2014 with more emphasis on the pass.

Out of "likes"....but you are correct......NM was something special as far as running QBs go.  

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Out of "likes"....but you are correct......NM was something special as far as running QBs go.  

Yep. Bryant has always been a poor man's Jalen Hurts. Nothing wrong with that as I believe Bryant will give Gus' offense a shot in the arm reintroducing the zone read. He's not afraid to run up the gut in traffic like Hurts is.

But Marshall had elite quickness, speed and arm strength, all better than even Cam.

45 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Name another CFB QB who has thrown it 63+ yards taking only a SINGLE step forward.

So just to name a few QBs who had better arms I think....Phillips Frank's, kordell Stewart, ben rothlisberger threw one 68 I think, that's just too if my head. I'm not arguing he had a hell of an arm... Just saying not the best arm I've ever seen in college. I loved NM.... Not criticizing him at all

50 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Ok... Billionth time .... This is first time talking with be my friend..... No need to have attitude lol.  I was not aware of that. 

21 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Yep. Bryant has always been a poor man's Jalen Hurts. Nothing wrong with that as I believe Bryant will give Gus' offense a shot in the arm reintroducing the zone read. He's not afraid to run up the gut in traffic like Hurts is.

But Marshall had elite quickness, speed and arm strength, all better than even Cam.

That would  be good enough in my view.   Too bad than JS can't take advantage of the openings that appear on those busted or poor developing pass plays where he just has to take the loss or dump the ball.   Mostly SEC defenses are not going to let a QB just stand back and look for an open receiver ….and QBs with even modest running ability can help themselves by keeping defenses aware of the possibilities.   

16 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So just to name a few QBs who had better arms I think....Phillips Frank's, kordell Stewart, ben rothlisberger threw one 68 I think

Felipe Franks - took 5 steps forward

Kordell Stewart - took 3 steps forward

Ben Roethlisberger - took 10 steps forward

23 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Yep, Vick is the only QB I can think of that could throw it as far as Marshall flat-footed. But Marshall had more velocity, esp in 2014.

Maybe Jemarcus Russell?

24 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

The only thing that will give the offense a shot in the arm will be some OL who can block

With the current slate of OL talent on the roster and not alot of help on the way I don't see KB ending up on the plains.

Agreed with the first statement.

As for the 2nd statement, out of the four programs he's seriously considering (Auburn, Arkansas, Missouri and North Carolina), who's offense and returning offensive personnel is best?

Arkansas?? Their OL can't even keep Ty Storey healthy for three consecutive games. That guy has taken a beating every single game, only paralleled by Deondre Francois. Arkansas has no playmakers. At all.

North Carolina, one of the worst teams in the country??

Missouri? Sure, they have a good offense. But it's Missouri. And they're halfway across the country from Clemson.

Auburn is close to home. The offense has three awesome starting WRs returning + Stove and Hastings. The entire OL and RBs will be back. No, they're not good now, but Gus can sell that they're young and will be more experienced a year from now. And as the closing sales line, all Gus has to say is, "I coached Cam and Nick Marshall."

8 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Felipe Franks - took 5 steps forward

Kordell Stewart - took 3 steps forward

Ben Roethlisberger - took 10 steps forward

Ok.... Haven't watched the film if the other 2 but KS was at Max 2 steps... But more importantly ...I don't know if you ever played QB.... But you can hop forward 10 times and then throw it .... It isn't going to boost your arm strength... Only the last step and a half matter. But NM head a great arm not the best in CFB history as you claim. 

Just now, Tigerpro2a said:

Ok.... Haven't watched the film if the other 2 but KS was at Max 2 steps... But more importantly ...I don't know if you ever played QB.... But you can hop forward 10 times and then throw it .... It isn't going to boost your arm strength... Only the last step and a half matter. But NM head a great arm not the best in CFB history as you claim. 

None of the three you mentioned had to alter their running path just prior to their release because they were about to be tackled. Look at the Ole Miss throw I posted above. Marshall had to juke a defender, take a sidestep, then released it with a single forward step. None of the three you mentioned were under that kind of duress nor took a single step forward in their release.

I saw Stewart's hail mary live. It was the greatest throw I had ever seen until Marshall uncorked his 63 yards on the money, in stride, with arguably the best CB in the SEC that season in near-perfect coverage on Coates.

5 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

None of the three you mentioned had to alter their running path just prior to their release because they were about to be tackled. Look at the Ole Miss throw I posted above. Marshall had to juke a defender, take a sidestep, then released it with a single forward step. None of the three you mentioned were under that kind of duress nor took a single step forward in their release.

I saw Stewart's hail mary live. It was the greatest throw I had ever seen until Marshall uncorked his 63 yards on the money, in stride, with arguably the best CB in the SEC that season in near-perfect coverage on Coates.

Ok. So this will be my last reply to this topic. I'm jealous you saw kordell love today is awesome. It was an awesome play by NM I think we can agree on that.... Sometimes we don't appreciate those variables until we rewatch ... Amazing..... I just disagree that he had the strongest arm in CFB history based on one throw from him or anybody else. It's a fair opinion... I'll give you that he had one of the strongest.... But I doubt the strongest. Anyways.... Good chatting with u

On 11/3/2018 at 6:14 PM, Scotty2Hotty said:

This makes me feel the same way that I feel when I think about a sunny day by Webster's Lake in the mid 90s with a pretty girl and a bottle of cheap wine, or climbing Reynolds Mountain in Glacier NP, or honeymooning in Italy... but now I'm sitting in an office with no windows, it's raining outside and it's Monday. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This makes me feel the same way that I feel when I think about a sunny day by Webster's Lake in the mid 90s with a pretty girl and a bottle of cheap wine, or climbing Reynolds Mountain in Glacier NP, or honeymooning in Italy... but now I'm sitting in an office with no windows, it's raining outside and it's Monday. 

Rainy Monday....and I have a window that usually has a great view...but can only see about 50 feet through the  fog/ cold rain and /or clouds.   Window or no window, there's not much difference today...😕

18 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Ok. So this will be my last reply to this topic. I'm jealous you saw kordell love today is awesome. It was an awesome play by NM I think we can agree on that.... Sometimes we don't appreciate those variables until we rewatch ... Amazing..... I just disagree that he had the strongest arm in CFB history based on one throw from him or anybody else. It's a fair opinion... I'll give you that he had one of the strongest.... But I doubt the strongest. Anyways.... Good chatting with u

Fair enough. One thing’s for certain.

We know how far Stewart could throw it, with no one in his face, and with more than a single step. 

We don’t know how far Marshall could in a game given the same circumstance.

The closest to that circumstance we saw was the Miracle at JH. Problem is, Marshall did not need to throw it as far as he could as Louis was 23 yards away from the end zone when the ball was tipped. I have no doubt if he had needed to throw it to the end zone (which would have been 80 yards), he would have easily. It was reported back then that he threw it 90 yards in practice. 

6 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Fair enough. One thing’s for certain.

We know how far Stewart could throw it, with no one in his face, and with more than a single step. 

We don’t know how far Marshall could in a game given the same circumstance.

The closest to that circumstance we saw was the Miracle at JH. Problem is, Marshall did not need to throw it as far as he could as Louis was 23 yards away from the end zone when the ball was tipped. I have no doubt if he had needed to throw it to the end zone (which would have been 80 yards), he would have easily. It was reported back then that he threw it 90 yards in practice. 

One thing that does amaze me about NM was how strong his arm was for a smaller guy. 

13 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

One thing that does amaze me about NM was how strong his arm was for a smaller guy. 

Same with Mike Vick. So much of it is about mechanics and what kind of motion the arm is capable of. Not that I actually understand it at all. 

53 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Same with Mike Vick. So much of it is about mechanics and what kind of motion the arm is capable of. Not that I actually understand it at all. 

Yes I agree. I played hs ball with a kid in Tennessee who had as much talent to take him anywhere but grades were horrific do ended up being factory worker... Point is .... He had acannon. I played QB and could throw about 55 yards ... My biggest problem was hand size... But this kid was two years behind me and he could flat-footed throw 50 yards ...I saw him throw 78 in practice... Just a wasted talent

Archived