Men vs. Missouri game thread

WarTiger

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That was a lot of fun. Lets do it again saturday fam!  Crowd never really did get in to it. Even when we were En Fuego in the second half. Even last year when we won every home game but 1 and having a historic season I thought the AU basketball crowd STILL does not get loud enough AND STAY LOUD consistently. They fade out to quickly. They are still figuring out how this being a big fan of basketball works lol. WE ARE GOING TO NEED THEM in a big way saturday though. We need that place rocking.

That’s the one thing I’ve noticed about auburn athletics recently here (and by that I mean football and basketball), there’s an aura of timidness ever present. Now you can’t blame them for what those programs have gone through recently, you don’t know when something heart breaking might occur, but they can be taken out the game quickly. Case in point, that LSU game last season 

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Definitely agree about the crowd not being consistently loud. They CAN get loud but it's never for more than a possession. Got to get loud and stay loud even when the other team knocks down a three or something.

I think it just comes without hardly any history of basketball tradition in place. Most of these kids probaly did not grow up watching Auburn basketball as religiously as Auburn football because we have been bad for so long so they are not to familiar with the sport. You are so on the money. THEY NEVER stay loud. EVER. 

55 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That’s the one thing I’ve noticed about auburn athletics recently here (and by that I mean football and basketball), there’s an aura of timidness ever present. Now you can’t blame them for what those programs have gone through recently, you don’t know when something heart breaking might occur, but they can be taken out the game quickly. Case in point, that LSU game last season 

The Auburn Family vibe we like to hang our hat on is a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it is awesome and there is nothing like it. That feeling you get when you go back to campus is second to none. But a curse because it invites a family like atmosphere to our sporting events. And families just do not make as much noise as the rowdy atmospheres of other places. It has even affected football as well. Recently the only games that sound like vintage Jordan Hare were the Auburn and Georgia games at the end of the 2017 season. We are the "nice" program. The Aw shucks program. A lot of our fans do not seem to have a killer instinct. A lot of it has to do with what you laid out above. They are so married in both sports but especially football to that craving of being the underdog. I HAAAAAAAAAATE it. Huge huge pet peeve of mine! lol.

8 hours ago, sandyclawedtiger said:

The 3s are falling this half. They were not the first. I'm just not seeing a team effort. I admit I've had a few shots of Bulleit so I'm probably rambling. 

you are also correct....meball and not much toughness outside of dunbar and horace

Good win....did not expect the margin of victory....but looking at SEC records and scores lately there is a lot of parity. .....And playing at home is big.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good win....did not expect the margin of victory....but looking at SEC records and scores lately there is a lot of parity. .....And playing at home is big.

I imagine the home advantage even more so for us. The tension on rims really do effect shooters. We shoot more long distance shots than most so......

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

One thing I did see tonight was all that out of shape stuff about DP is bull.....but I figured that

He played around ten minutes! Nobody but Cole would think he can tell what kind of shape a guy is in when he plays just a few minutes, most of it in mop up time. That's funny.

12 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

I swear Doughty plays like he's a freshman at times. He's too experienced to make a stupid foul like that.

This is his first season playing power 5 basketball. Just wait and see how he develops over his junior and senior years. I think he has it in him to be a weapon for us as he improves.

One thing I did see tonight was all that out of shape stuff about DP is bull.....but I figured that

“A lot of time," Purifoy said on Wednesday night, in regards to missing nearly two years of basketball. "A little frustrating, but I really don’t let it bother me too much. I’m just doing what I got to do, like I said, to help the team get better.”

He’s had to get back in shape — something else he’s tweeted about. He said on Wednesday that included working out three times a day. He said there’s still more to do.

I dunno man, I just watched some of his freshman highlights. He just looks heavier than back then. It also looks like he's running on his heels out there compared to how light on his feet he looked 2 years ago IMO.

He will get there though, he's already making tangible progress

28 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He played around ten minutes! Nobody but Cole would think he can tell what kind of shape a guy is in when he plays just a few minutes, most of it in mop up time. That's funny.

Lol, you coached basketball huh? Yeah in those minutes I can watch and see the he's so big and out of shape he can hardly move and he's been sitting around and doing nothing stuff is made up. 

59 minutes ago, AU64 said:

“A lot of time," Purifoy said on Wednesday night, in regards to missing nearly two years of basketball. "A little frustrating, but I really don’t let it bother me too much. I’m just doing what I got to do, like I said, to help the team get better.”

He’s had to get back in shape — something else he’s tweeted about. He said on Wednesday that included working out three times a day. He said there’s still more to do.

I'm the only person on here that was saying he shouldn't be expected to look like he did when he played

YOU and your flunkie argued against that and now you want to post a quote. Why didn't you look it up when you were arguing against it? 

I'm not talking about his wind and stuff like that, I'm talking the stupidity of saying he's "sat around and hasn't done anything for two years" it was stupid then and it's clearly as stupid now.

But stop flip flopping which one is it? Are you listening to him or not? You two love making clown posts. Just sitting in the cut waiting on the team to do bad so you can blame Pearl. You really think people don't see what you are doing

23 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I dunno man, I just watched some of his freshman highlights. He just looks heavier than back then. It also looks like he's running on his heels out there compared to how light on his feet he looked 2 years ago IMO.

He will get there though, he's already making tangible progress

EXACTLY. You think a guy can sit around for two years and do nothing, can jump from behind the timeline while a guy is breathing down his neck and dunk with ease? I know he wasn't in playing with the team shape but the lazy sitting around being a slob was rumor that people ran with

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

EXACTLY. You think a guy can sit around for two years and do nothing, can jump from behind the timeline while a guy is breathing down his neck and dunk with ease? I know he wasn't in playing with the team shape but the lazy sitting around being a slob was rumor that people ran with

Gotcha. I misunderstood your post. I thought you were refuting the idea that he isn't in physical peak condition.

The layup he smoked in the first half, I thought the old Danjel would've dunked that one home. But he had another dunk later. I'm liking where he's heading, whether it's this year or next.

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Gotcha. I misunderstood your post. I thought you were refuting the idea that he isn't in physical peak condition.

The layup he smoked in the first half, I thought the old Danjel would've dunked that one home. But he had another dunk later. I'm liking where he's heading, whether it's this year or next.

He's been on both sides of the issue.....so easy to be confused..

DP has looked out of shape, played like he's out of shape and in an interview after the game last night apparently ,said he had been out of shape.....and was still working on it.   Hoping he comes along as the year develops but can't see that he's ready to start ...or even play many consecutive minutes. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

And Mizz's best scorer did not play. We still would have won, but it would have been much closer.

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And Mizz's best scorer did not play. We still would have won, but it would have been much closer.

I did not realize that

57 minutes ago, Tiger said:

This is his first season playing power 5 basketball. Just wait and see how he develops over his junior and senior years. I think he has it in him to be a weapon for us as he improves.

Just an FYI. He is a junior this year, so I hope he does get better going into his last year.. He plays a little too soft for me at times. And he is not the dribble drive player he was made out to be. But he probably is one of our better defensive players.

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Look 64 is your friend now lol. 

Purifoy is a lot like the way Brown was, when he was a Freshman and sophomore. A lot of talent, but streaky confidence. It took Brown 2 whole years to become the better player he was/is his JR and SR years now. 

Purifoy, not playing competitively for almost 2 years, definitely affects his mental strength. He has skills, for sure, but when he is off he is really off. His weakness is defense, and I feel Pearl doesn't play him much for that reason, since his replacements do play better D.

He is thicker around the middle than I remember him, when he was playing a lot his FR year. But  he showed the second half last night, his spurts of pure hand quickness and ability to light it up. 

I see a possible conflict though down the road. As he mentioned in the press conference, he says he should be playing more now. Pearl says to wait and see AFTER Wiley comes back. 

The only way I see him getting more minutes when Wiley comes back, is if Doughty takes a back seat. But Pearl likes Doughty for all the little things he does in totality, that many of us don't really see as important. 

23 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Well  you can see that the quote 64 used is taken out of context but that's pretty easy to see.

The thing people don't get mostly I think about DP is they switched his position. Now what he did say himself was that Pearl told him he's changing positions again to the 3. Well that's a big transition so he then worked himself back into shape FOR THAT POSITION. He said when Pearl told him this he lost 12 pounds in two weeks.....that doesn't sound like a lazy bum to me....if you go back and read that DP thread nobody mentions this, but that's pretty major if you are just going off an eye test and then claim a guy out of shape right?

The same guys who are now using an out of context quote from him were calling him lazy....how does that even make sense?

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Just an FYI. He is a junior this year, so I hope he does get better going into his last year.. He plays a little too soft for me at times. And he is not the dribble drive player he was made out to be. But he probably is one of our better defensive players.

Damn! I thought he was a sophomore! Didn't realize he took a redshirt earlier in his career. Thanks for correcting me. That changes things a little for me actually. Hopefully he can be a stud as a senior next year. We're gonna need him.

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Damn! I thought he was a sophomore! Didn't realize he took a redshirt earlier in his career. Thanks for correcting me. That changes things a little for me actually. Hopefully he can be a stud as a senior next year. We're gonna need him.

Was gonna respond saying that he was a junior. I've never played professional basketball but when a guy has an easy layup if you're gonna foul him make sure he doesn't make that layup. If not then just let him get the easy 2 points, don't give up a foul, and get back on offense. I feel like a guy that has been playing basketball his entire life should know think like that as well? 

Also, maybe me nit-picking, is me not believing Doughty should be starting. IMO, he hasn't shown me anything during conference play to deserve the starting nod. *shrugs*

I'm not sure we have any excellent defenders on our team that plays the perimeter. We're getting blitzed by every team that has big guards. I feel bad for samir because he really shouldn't be evaluated on playing the guys he has to match up with. This is what Herron was having to deal with last year, but he's much stronger and had the bulk to handle it better

Archived