Men at LSU - game thread

AU64

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

I’m totally on the missed calls at the end, should have been called, but we once again blew a lead. A 16 pt lead to be exact, we should have been able to take them completely out of the game, but no, we let them back in and the we got dominated the 2nd half

Bingo. 

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t give a s*** how bad Auburn handled the ball earlier, we gotta stop pretending as if teams don’t have bad games and turn it on when it matters. Auburn keeps showing up WHEN THE GAME MATTERS, but gets their dreams stomped out by the refs in clear instances of bad calls. What else can you do???

3 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Horse crap no calls at the end of the game but going down 10+ again in the second half on the road. Our team has to have more focus during the middle of the game and not wait til the end of the game to play well.

JMO but the game was mostly lost the last 2 minutes of the first half.....dry spell and let the big lead get away and changed LSU's expectations.  Momentum changed.

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

Since December we have won only 2 road games... 2

Yep. Good they didn’t quit when I said they did, but just a terrible road team. 

19 turnovers, blew a 16 point lead, couldn’t close. Refs were a factor but they didn’t lose us this game. We did. 

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I’m totally on the missed calls at the end, should have been called, but we once again blew a lead. A 16 pt lead to be exact, we should have been able to take them completely out of the game, but no, we let them back in and the we got dominated the 2nd half

Don’t know if I agree Mav. we let an 18-4 SEC team that’s lost one SEC game by one point back into the game on their home floor. I’d expect that If they were playing almost any team. Once again, the incompetent SEC officiating screws us. Two of our better free throw shooters as well. Sure, we could’ve done some things to not be in that position, but you cant expect us to go on the road in this one and completely wipe the floor with them the whole game. They’re too good to expect that. You’re gonna be in close games on the road, barely anyone blows anyone out on the road, and the fact that we can’t get two calls in a row like that at the end of the game is asinine. 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t give a s*** how bad Auburn handled the ball earlier, we gotta stop pretending as if teams don’t have bad games and turn it on when it matters. Auburn keeps showing up WHEN THE GAME MATTERS, but gets their dreams stomped out by the refs in clear instances of bad calls. What else can you do???

Auburn hasn’t shown up on the road in the SEC yet. Yes, these refs are embarrassing themselves, but so is Auburn with the way they make play after play of vast incompetence. 

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I agree. You can’t expect to wipe the floor with a team like LSU on their home floor. The 16 point lead was going to dwindle, we knew that. They’re too good. We could’ve done a few things better, sure, but when it comes down to it, we should’ve at least been at the line to tie the game. 

7 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

19 turnovers, blew a 16 point lead, couldn’t close. Refs were a factor but they didn’t lose us this game. We did. 

Yep. I’m first to jump on refs, but this was 100% AU’s game to win and they lost it with 20 min of bad basketball. 

Just now, tigerbrotha12 said:

I agree. You can’t expect to wipe the floor with a team like LSU on their home floor. The 16 point lead was going to dwindle, we knew that. They’re too good. We could’ve done a few things better, sure, but when it comes down to it, we should’ve at least been at the line to tie the game. 

Exactly.....refs properly calling a game is an important part of the game...can't just ignore that stuff ...and of course LSU also let a lead get away in the last few minutes and they are a pretty good team playing at home. 

3 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Don’t know if I agree Mav. we let an 18-4 SEC team that’s lost one SEC game by one point back into the game on their home floor. I’d expect that If they were playing almost any team. Once again, the incompetent SEC officiating screws us. Two of our better free throw shooters as well. Sure, we could’ve done some things to not be in that position, but you cant expect us to go on the road in this one and completely wipe the floor with them the whole game. They’re too good to expect that. You’re gonna be in close games on the road, barely anyone blows anyone out on the road, and the fact that we can’t get two calls in a row like that at the end of the game is asinine. 

I’m sorry, but I don’t expect a 26 pt swing. Our problem is we let teams back in it, then they get up by 10, and we play the entire 2nd half fighting back from -10, we get it down to 4-6, then they get 2-3 straight buckets unanswered. My problem is that it’s not like we let them back in it and then it was even the rest of the way, once they took the lead they were able to keep us at distance fairly easily for the most part.

Were 1-6 in our last 7 on the road against power 5 opponents, it’s just becoming a frustrating trend.

Do I think the officiating was crap at times, especially on those last two calls? Absolutely, but we constantly keep putting ourselves in this position

Our shooting was spot on for most of the game. We did have another cold spell in a game where we were up big but rebounding and ball handling killed us the most on this one. How many times did Harper turn it over with a bad pass ? It seemed like a lot. But Brown was definitely fouled by Reid on the 3 point shot at the end of the game. They were letting Reid play some pretty rough basketball all game long, not only on that last play but on both boards.   

Just one other thought.....we were never 16 points better than LSU and the fact that we started hot and them cold meant nothing in terms of what a 40 minute game looks like.  

Games ebb and flow and I always want to be the team having the last run of a game.   AU did that....got behind and then fought back and had a chance to tie or win on the road against a higher ranked team.   LSU is pretty good and some of our problems were self inflicted but some were due to their hustle in the paint.   We are helpless down low against a big team. Looking at the incoming class I don't see that changing any time soon.   Mostly we will just have to hope that the hot shooting lasts for a good part of a game rather than coming in 5 minute spurts.   Tough loss. 

3 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

among many this year......

true....I'm just being careful not to imply anything negative about the coaching...:)

22 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Auburn hasn’t shown up on the road in the SEC yet. Yes, these refs are embarrassing themselves, but so is Auburn with the way they make play after play of vast incompetence. 

Their style of play is never going to lend itself to being consistently successful on the road, shooting doesn’t travel like that and them being undersized on the road is going to lead to ridiculous calls

you just gotta work around that fact 

its not coaching, its players not having it enough between the ears like they should.....plus, for some reason, these guys are not physically tough, save for harper,horace and dunbar....strangely, they appear to be pretty tough mentally....we have gotten very little out of wiley....just a disappointing season overall....if you want poor coaching, check out the football board....pearl is a proven commodity

.I'm just being careful not to imply anything negative about the coaching

10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Their style of play is never going to lend itself to being consistently successful on the road, shooting doesn’t travel like that and them being undersized on the road is going to lead to ridiculous calls

you just gotta work around that fact 

They shot fine. What isn’t traveling is their brain.

9 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I love Bruce. He needs to call out the stupid passes and turnovers. The team needs a leader and no one is stepping up making smart plays like Waters did for LSU. 

The strength and conditioning program at Auburn stinks. Need a complete overhaul in all sports. Out physicaled pretty much every time out. 

5 minutes ago, tigers23 said:

The strength and conditioning program at Auburn stinks. Need a complete overhaul in all sports. Out physicaled pretty much every time out. 

Need to bathe in deer antler spray 

13 minutes ago, jared52 said:

They shot fine. What isn’t traveling is their brain.

It was selective shooting. This certainly isn’t as bad as the MSU game or something but the 3 pt shooting comes in droves and disappears accordingly. They didn’t do anything wrong this game fundamentally from what I saw, they just weren’t in the same league as the opponent rebounding wise

Archived