Null



Sign in to follow this  
Dual-Threat Rigby

Chuma Okeke draft discussion

Recommended Posts

The talk begins with me making this thread probably, but it’s a worthwhile convo to have

 

there’s a lot of teams who COULD use him, but I’d love to see him in the Hawks system. His versatility would be perfect for the 3 there. Supplement John Collins 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Is it even a foregone conclusion that he's leaving? I've seen him pop up on a few mock drafts but he's definitely on not a sure fire bona fide 1st round pick yet. Definitely has the potential though to put nba teams on notice if he has a huge month

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Is it even a foregone conclusion that he's leaving? I've seen him pop up on a few mock drafts but he's definitely on not a sure fire bona fide 1st round pick yet. Definitely has the potential though to put nba teams on notice if he has a huge month

No, it's not a forgone conclusion. It's too early for one, and although he will probably enter his name, he still doesn't know what his eval will be, to determine if he needs another year of college.

It seems he still needs some refining and some repetition, as Pearl has started this year to make him more of a focal point of the offense and the go to guy at times. He just seems to still have to much timidness on offense to be ready for NBA.

But who knows what his personal goals, and issues are that might sway him to leave...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Is it even a foregone conclusion that he's leaving? I've seen him pop up on a few mock drafts but he's definitely on not a sure fire bona fide 1st round pick yet. Definitely has the potential though to put nba teams on notice if he has a huge month

I’m just under the belief that if his trajectory continues, a first rounder eval should be in the books. I’ve heard from a multiple of platforms that this draft is historically bad (in terms of depth), so maybe he could get a mid 1st type of projection just off potential 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's best suited for a team that's close and need a good defender. Nobody would be drafting him on a need for a scorer and to be frank they're nothing he can learn from a another year of college ball. He's shown as much potential as kwai Leonard showed when he was in college

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve simply not been impressed enough to put him in the first round. Second round would be a stretch.  I don’t claim to have a record of predicting these things right either. If he goes I will hope I’m wrong. But offensive fundamentals are nonexistent on this whole team including Okeke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cole256 said:

He's best suited for a team that's close and need a good defender. Nobody would be drafting him on a need for a scorer and to be frank they're nothing he can learn from a another year of college ball. He's shown as much potential as kwai Leonard showed when he was in college

Thats why I mentioned ATL. Hes a decent creator (a bonus for their system), a decent shooter (better than Kawhi before the Spurs shooting coach blessed him), and can work around the rim fairly well. He's really a master of none offensively and as you mentioned, great defensively. I dont know how good Collins is defensively, but you pair him with Chumer and you got an ideal 3/4 pairing on both ends. After seeing them get WACKED at that position between old a(..) Vince Carter and Justin Anderson last night, it's probably the only ting holding them back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also think an interesting question here is what helps the program more, Having him back one more season, or having a player leave early and get drafted in the first round? Him coming back is obviously better in the short term, but I’m talking overall program value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

I also think an interesting question here is what helps the program more, Having him back one more season, or having a player leave early and get drafted in the first round? Him coming back is obviously better in the short term, but I’m talking overall program value.

If he comes back and his presence helps the team advance far into the tournament next season, then both short and long term it's better for AU if he returns. Now, a lot depends on someone's personal situation. When I was age 20, had there been an opportunity to cash a fat check I'd have been stupid to turn the money down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he should put his name in the hat and get evaluated and am on the fence as to whether he has shown enough Offensive skills to be a 1st or 2nd rounder.  I see flashes more so lately then I see the timid Chuma.   Part of that may be the fact that we are so guard oriented that he doesn't get the ball enough to really showcase his game. From a team perspective we will need him back next year as we are loosing a lot of veteran players next year.  I love the players we have coming in next year but they will need some veteran leaders. With Brown gone Chuma should see a lot more of the ball next year which I think would allow him to showcase his talent and move up the draft board which would help both Chuma and the team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think he should put his name in the hat and get evaluated and am on the fence as to whether he has shown enough Offensive skills to be a 1st or 2nd rounder.  I see flashes more so lately then I see the timid Chuma.   Part of that may be the fact that we are so guard oriented that he doesn't get the ball enough to really showcase his game. From a team perspective we will need him back next year as we are loosing a lot of veteran players next year.  I love the players we have coming in next year but they will need some veteran leaders. With Brown gone Chuma should see a lot more of the ball next year which I think would allow him to showcase his talent and move up the draft board which would help both Chuma and the team.

Best case scenario for all parties involved IMO. He will have a huge opportunity for him to show out next year

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he gets a first round grade he should leave, end of story. As fans we should want these players to make the best choice for them and their future. I'd love for him to play for AU if that what he thinks is best for him, but agree with @cole256 that he wouldn't benefit much from another year of college ball. He has shown great progress from year 1 to year 2. If he finishes out this year strong, and performs well in any post season workouts, he should go. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know what hawks team you're watching but he could easily do what prince and the other small forward does and he has more potential than both. Plus Prince could be coming up for a contract hike, and chumma is a hometown kid that couldn't hurt with marketing

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless Chuma goes 2nd round there's essentially no shot for the Hawks to draft him as thing stand right now. ATL will be picking in the top 10 and also have Dallas' pick which also will likely will fall in the top 10 (or not far from it), and unless he absolutely explodes down the stretch like Derrick Williams did for Arizona back in 2011 I don't see how he's a lottery choice at this time. And if Chuma is a 2nd round prospect I would love for him to stay and try to play his way into the first. Depends on what his family situation is like of course.

IMO if you're Hawks fan you should have your eye on some other players to help the very promising core of Trae/Huerter/John Collins. If I'm a Hawks fan (I'm not) I'm hoping there will be value for a rim protector or a true center when I pick. I don't think there are a whole lot of bigs in this class but without getting into the nitty gritty details I really like the idea of like Bol Bol playing alongside John Collins as a front court tandem. Or the kid from Maryland Fernando could be a good fit, he's a beast. And adding another wing, preferably an athletic one with good measurables would fit alongside what they are building. With where they likely will be picking they will have a chance to fill these needs with elite prospects rather than a player like Chuma. This is not to bag on Chuma, but I think we can all agree he's not an elite NBA prospect right now or else it wouldn't even be a discussion about whether he leaves or not it would just be a foregone conclusion

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Don't know what hawks team you're watching but he could easily do what prince and the other small forward does and he has more potential than both. Plus Prince could be coming up for a contract hike, and chumma is a hometown kid that couldn't hurt with marketing

Re-read my post. The Hawks are 20 games below .500. I really like Chuma and I hope he stays after this season because I think he has an absolute ton of potential.... BUT where his game is right now would in no way make the Hawks a better team. The Hawks need players that are ready to help them win now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BigSammyK said:

Re-read my post. The Hawks are 20 games below .500. I really like Chuma and I hope he stays after this season because I think he has an absolute ton of potential.... BUT where his game is right now would in no way make the Hawks a better team. The Hawks need players that are ready to help them win now.

Respectfully disagree on the Hawks. They are built to win 3 years from now and should continue to carry that plan out. I know there has been some talk of trying to land a big fish in free agency but that would go against their best interest in the long term IMO. This is the time for them to build the culture they want as a team because they have 3 pieces of their future starting 5 in place with Trae, Collins, and Huerter. Short of landing Kyrie and KD they are nowhere close to "win-now" mode and they certainly won't reach that point through the draft for next year. I don't think any team who's record has them picking in the top 10 is in win-now mode. 

I'd argue the Hawks don't have a single "win-now" player on their entire roster outside of a few guys that could be role players exclusively. 

 

Ok I'm done talking about the Hawks they are a division rival of my Hornets lol

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigSammyK said:

Re-read my post. The Hawks are 20 games below .500. I really like Chuma and I hope he stays after this season because I think he has an absolute ton of potential.... BUT where his game is right now would in no way make the Hawks a better team. The Hawks need players that are ready to help them win now.

I don't understand why you tell me to re read your post. I think he could absolutely help the hawks right now. He's a fantastic defender. He can play and guard 3 to 4 positions easily and he doesn't shoot stupid shots. He would absolutely make them better on defense. He could make them better in every aspect of the game besides scoring and if you re read my post by opening up cap space you can now sign a big time scorer

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

If he gets a first round grade he should leave, end of story. As fans we should want these players to make the best choice for them and their future. I'd love for him to play for AU if that what he thinks is best for him, but agree with @cole256 that he wouldn't benefit much from another year of college ball. He has shown great progress from year 1 to year 2. If he finishes out this year strong, and performs well in any post season workouts, he should go. 

He absolutely would benefit from coming back for another year. He can be THE guy on next years team. He needs to develop more of a alpha mindset and attack attack attack. It will be his team next year. It will allow Harper to scale back and be a pass first point guard full time. Play the kind of game he did vs MSU saturday which is get others involved and drop dimes. I think he will come back have a awesome season and be a lottery pick in the 2020 draft. 

Edited by GwillMac6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He absolutely would benefit from coming back for another year. He can be THE guy on next years team. He needs to develop more of a alpha mindset and attack attack attack. It will be his team next year. It will allow Harper to scale back and be a pass first point guard. Play the kind of game he did vs MSU saturday which is get others involved and drop dimes. I think he will come back have a awesome season and be a lottery pick in the 2020 draft. 

I can't see Harper scaling back at all, if anything he'll shoot more. I can't see anybody here developing him better than any team in the NBA. But any way it goes one year isn't going to change you like that, but having a role player mindset isn't a bad thing, if he's drafted by a good team that's exactly what he'd have to do anyway, play a role. If it's in him to be a go to guy he could develop it in the league like giannis (sp)? and kawhi did. He gets drafted high by a suck team is what would hurt him the most.  

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he could develop only in showing scouts that he could be a #1 scoring option if forced to, but I dont think that's what you'd draft him for anyway. I think if this team could play team defense like they did last year and get smarter, more varied shots than this year, then maybe he could develop something next season

 

as it is now, I dont see the opportunity for his game to progress too much and breaking the mental offensive consistency shouldnt be an absolute gamebreaker. I feel like he'll be late first early second as of right now 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Stephen Hooks who is very connected to the program FWIW...

Quote

 

He 100% needs one more year and if he plays to this level all next year he can find himself in a position for many more millions than leaving after this year.

I think he is smart enough to stay. He for sure will get evaluated. He will do what Gafford did last year.

 

 

Edited by ellitor
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i agree with stephen completely...chuma has to become more assertive, like he did tuesday night.....he was awesome and just showed what he can be....he needs to develope what football coaches call a mean streak.....the sky is the limit for him because he has the ability to be an all-american next year, and against the updykes, i saw some mental toughness start to show

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as contacts there's lottery money and everybody else. I don't see him being in the lottery because he'll be a junior by then but maybe so. The only thing that would matter to me is being in the first round and going late in the first round is a good thing. That's when you're going to be picked up by teams that are successful. It would be much better to get picked up by San Antonio and signing for less in the beginning than getting drafted by the suns with no direction. Nobody is picking chumma up to be a scorer anyway. 

Here he plays out of position, guards makes questionable decisions.....it's more of a risk coming back. 

All that is dependent on being a first round pick, if he doesn't have a first round guarantee then he should come back, anything besides that though he should go

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this