Chuma Okeke draft discussion

I have been in the camp that Chuma is not an NBA ready player basically do to the fact he was to passive on offense and hadn't carried the team on his back. I always believed in his skill set. but thought he needed to mature mentally. The last few games he has shown me the things so many others have been talking about. I now believe he might be a 1st round pick and would for sure be a 2nd round pick.  If he plays like this in SEC and NCAA I am pretty sure he is gone.  Before I was 30% gone and 70% stay now I think it is the exact opposite 70% go 30% stay. 

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I have been in the camp that Chuma is not an NBA ready player basically do to the fact he was to passive on offense and hadn't carried the team on his back. I always believed in his skill set. but thought he needed to mature mentally. The last few games he has shown me the things so many others have been talking about. I now believe he might be a 1st round pick and would for sure be a 2nd round pick.  If he plays like this in SEC and NCAA I am pretty sure he is gone.  Before I was 30% gone and 70% stay now I think it is the exact opposite 70% go 30% stay. 

I think he's playing too well for us to keep him too

Not sure he’s a first round pick right now. To play 3 in the league I think his would need to show a bit mor ball handling ability. Just haven’t seen him do it enough to evaluate (I’m not saying he can’t handle the ball).  That would be the area for him to work on most IMO. I’m not much of a draft expert though. 

43 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Not sure he’s a first round pick right now. To play 3 in the league I think his would need to show a bit mor ball handling ability. Just haven’t seen him do it enough to evaluate (I’m not saying he can’t handle the ball).  That would be the area for him to work on most IMO. I’m not much of a draft expert though. 

I think he’d be a great project piece currently, there’s always a few dumb GMs who love project pieces in the first round, e.g NO, NY

But we’ll see one way or the other

Well I've been in the camp that he was ready and I said two good games in the tourney (ncaa) would get him there. I still feel the same way

27 minutes ago, alexava said:

A good two or three games in conference tournament AND two in NCAA... yes that would go a long way. 

No I'm not saying and. He's already on draft boards right now. Also like I said a while ago he's almost a carbon copy of how Leonard played and frame. Same questions that I've read people on here say about chumma are the same they said about kawhi. Leonard was better rebounding statistically but played in a weaker conference, chumma a much better shooter. 

Not coincidentally I don't think San Antonio is really watching him. Rudy gay is getting older

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

No I'm not saying and. He's already on draft boards right now. Also like I said a while ago he's almost a carbon copy of how Leonard played and frame. Same questions that I've read people on here say about chumma are the same they said about kawhi. Leonard was better rebounding statistically but played in a weaker conference, chumma a much better shooter. 

Not coincidentally I don't think San Antonio is really watching him. Rudy gay is getting older

I am speaking more on a feeling that 3,4,5 more strong games would erase any doubt in my mind or most fans minds. I know he’s going to go eventually. Just to this point I don’t think he’s a lock to go. I selfishly want him back but I think he can make himself more money improving his draft position in college than being a mid second round pick now. 

Just now, alexava said:

I am speaking more on a feeling that 3,4,5 more strong games would erase any doubt in my mind or most fans minds. I know he’s going to go eventually. Just to this point I don’t think he’s a lock to go. I selfishly want him back but I think he can make himself more money improving his draft position in college than being a mid second round pick now. 

Yeah that's cool we can agree to disagree. You're right as far as more good games raises stock. He's not a mid second round right now though and he won't come out without a first round grade I'm pretty sure of that. For whatever reason it seems that on the board we're not used to having good basketball teams but we're harder than scouts on prospects, I think that's ironic. 

Oh and his measurables could push him as well. If he's a legit 6'8" and he certainly looks it and I can also tell he has long arms which the league loves. If his vertical is 36"or above no way he's not drafted in the first round. I don't know any of his measurables though. Having long arms can masquerade a players athleticism. All of that is just my opinion of course

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yeah that's cool we can agree to disagree. You're right as far as more good games raises stock. He's not a mid second round right now though and he won't come out without a first round grade I'm pretty sure of that. For whatever reason it seems that on the board we're not used to having good basketball teams but we're harder than scouts on prospects, I think that's ironic. 

Oh and his measurables could push him as well. If he's a legit 6'8" and he certainly looks it and I can also tell he has long arms which the league loves. If his vertical is 36"or above no way he's not drafted in the first round. I don't know any of his measurables though. Having long arms can masquerade a players athleticism. All of that is just my opinion of course

We are probably hard on prospects because we have had players produce more ( like Marquis Daniels) and not even get drafted. I admit I’m not very confident in my predictions. Hell I was planning on betting 500$ on Tennessee Saturday because I thought we would get blown out. I haven’t gambled on sports in 14 years and waited too late to get my bookies number. 

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

We are probably hard on prospects because we have had players produce more ( like Marquis Daniels) and not even get drafted. I admit I’m not very confident in my predictions. Hell I was planning on betting 500$ on Tennessee Saturday because I thought we would get blown out. I haven’t gambled on sports in 14 years and waited too late to get my bookies number. 

I thought we would beat Kentucky and lose to Tenn myself. Usually I do pretty good in draft but I'm not as thorough and game has changed. But I actually think the change helps him and things he can do on defense makes him so important. You basically need at least one guy like him to have a chance to slow down the elite teams now. Imo

latest projections I've seen have him going mid second round

4 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

that feels about right when people factor in that we're weighing a string of ~10 games or so against almost two years of mental passivity on the court. He's never been a bad prospect, but it may take scouts a bit more to say "it's time"

of course he still has potential matchups against LSU and UK/UT and the NCAA tourney's finest to raise that stock. id say with how many good 4s he's bound to play, he has the chance to raise his stock more than just about everyone

7 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Nbadraft.net is the best you'll find on the web they have him as a first. We'll see

Ironically the thing that may hold him back is there are alot of 6'7"-8" guys playing now but they are in a guard mold and skill set. Chumma hasn't done that here, he plays more post. This is what I was talking about when I didn't want him to play 4. I still think our best line up would be him at 3. 

If anything is holding him back is that. There are about 3/4 other guys that are similar to him but they have had the ball in their hands much more

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Ironically the thing that may hold him back is there are alot of 6'7"-8" guys playing now but they are in a guard mold and skill set. Chumma hasn't done that here, he plays more post. This is what I was talking about when I didn't want him to play 4. I still think our best line up would be him at 3. 

If anything is holding him back is that. There are about 3/4 other guys that are similar to him but they have had the ball in their hands much more

No way he’s a 4 in the nba this year. Maybe never. Scoring on the inside is his weakness to me. This might be where I’m hard on him. But he’s missed a lot of opportunities to get buckets in the paint.i know  He’s made some too. This is where he needs more consistency. IMO his strength is his ability to guard 1-3 on defense at 6’8”. And shoot over smaller defenders. I think he’s a mid second rounder at best right now. 3-4 more solid games he could get in first round. Next year he could improve and there’s no limit.  

6 hours ago, alexava said:

No way he’s a 4 in the nba this year. Maybe never. Scoring on the inside is his weakness to me. This might be where I’m hard on him. But he’s missed a lot of opportunities to get buckets in the paint.i know  He’s made some too. This is where he needs more consistency. IMO his strength is his ability to guard 1-3 on defense at 6’8”. And shoot over smaller defenders. I think he’s a mid second rounder at best right now. 3-4 more solid games he could get in first round. Next year he could improve and there’s no limit.  

You're absolutely right about the defense part. I imagine if you looked at his commit thread you'd see me multiple times saying his impact would be defensively. As a matter of fact even in high school he was better at D than offense. And the way the game is played now puts him in an even better position

Staying here another year does absolutely nothing for him personally, I guess fans look at it as score some 20 point games and now you're ready but smart people that actually run a NBA team can see what he has to offer them now and know as far as developing him more, their staff can do much more than a school that doesn't play him at the position they will use him. 

He's first round, to say mid second round is laughable at most it would be a slip to early firstand this is right now. He's a great athlete so pro day he'll boost up. Golden State would love to have a guy that could do what draymon Greene does right now. Like I said though only thing that holds him back is the sacrifices he made for this school playing out of position and not being as developed as an offensive threat on the perimeter

Chumma is easily the best draft prospect besides Barkley Auburn has ever had. 

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

You're absolutely right about the defense part. I imagine if you looked at his commit thread you'd see me multiple times saying his impact would be defensively. As a matter of fact even in high school he was better at D than offense. And the way the game is played now puts him in an even better position

Staying here another year does absolutely nothing for him personally, I guess fans look at it as score some 20 point games and now you're ready but smart people that actually run a NBA team can see what he has to offer them now and know as far as developing him more, their staff can do much more than a school that doesn't play him at the position they will use him. 

He's first round, to say mid second round is laughable at most it would be a slip to early firstand this is right now. He's a great athlete so pro day he'll boost up. Golden State would love to have a guy that could do what draymon Greene does right now. Like I said though only thing that holds him back is the sacrifices he made for this school playing out of position and not being as developed as an offensive threat on the perimeter

He’s got to get a lot nastier to do Draymond type work. I could see it happening though. 

On 3/11/2019 at 8:56 PM, cole256 said:

Hey now, I'm supposed to steal your material. 😁

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

I know people wanna eliminate Chuck Person from their memory but he was still AU’s second best ever player and the #4 overall draft pick. 

5 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

I know people wanna eliminate Chuck Person from their memory but he was still AU’s second best ever player and the #4 overall draft pick. 

I'm just saying as far as tools and potential I'll never pretend to say I know how everybody will perform once they are there. The most I can do is go off of blue prints set by other players

Archived