Should Austin Wiley return?

toddc

What do y’all think about AW returning for another year? I would think his draft status has dropped considerably after the injuries and lack of good play. Other than getting paid sooner I can’t see any other down side. It’s rare for b-ball players to get a career ending injury like in football, so there’s minimum risk in that area. He hasn’t shown much when he has been healthy for me to think he’s helped his draft status, and probably hurt it imho! What say you?

I think a factor in this equation that has to be looked at is how well he fits into our system. I'm glad he chose AU, and appreciate the hard work he has put in to stay in shape and contribute, however, given all of the events in the last couple of years it has to be asked. Does he fit somewhere else better? Not just better for us, but better for him. Maybe that is leaving early as a late round pick in the NBA, maybe that is a transfer, who knows. At this point I don't see how another year in our system helps him. The only way it would be good for us and him, is if he were 100% the whole season.

55 minutes ago, toddc said:

What do y’all think about AW returning for another year? I would think his draft status has dropped considerably after the injuries and lack of good play. Other than getting paid sooner I can’t see any other down side. It’s rare for b-ball players to get a career ending injury like in football, so there’s minimum risk in that area. He hasn’t shown much when he has been healthy for me to think he’s helped his draft status, and probably hurt it imho! What say you?

Big men with lower leg injuries that persist like Wiley's tend to stay injury prone. Some think it may be best for him to go ahead & leave & get paid while his legs hold out even if it's overseas. With that said, expectation as of now is him to test draft waters again but return to AU next season.

I actually think he can be an asset in our system when completely healthy. He was vs Duke and a few other games this year. He definitely has been in various games as a true freshman. We don't have guys that can make good entry passes but he's also just not a polished player on the block (not great touch, often times isn't aware of where he is in relation to the basket, doesn't handle double teams or make quick decisions with the ball, etc) so getting a ton of post touches isn't really what would be best for this team, or him really. Now, I'm not saying he can't develop a nice hook shot or a go-to move down low but as of right now he doesn't have it. He also has had a less than ideal time at AU with injuries and the FBI thing stunting his development a bit.

I think his rebounding and rim protecting is a big deal for us and would love to see him continue to grow his game at AU. We have to remember he got injured just prior to the season and it has been a battle getting to 100% since with tons of bumps in the road.

He definitely won't leave for the NBA. If anything, his stock has dropped a good bit since a year ago.

I could see him transferring somewhere he thinks he may fit better, but honestly, given his deficiencies, I don't think he would magically become all-conference anywhere else. I think he can stay here another year or two and work on honing his skills for the style of ball the NBA facilitates today.

18 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

I think he can stay here another year or two

He only has 1 year left. The NCAA is not allowing the year he had to sit out as a redshirt year.

15 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

He definitely won't leave for the NBA. If anything, his stock has dropped a good bit since a year ago.

I could see him transferring somewhere he thinks he may fit better, but honestly, given his deficiencies, I don't think he would magically become all-conference anywhere else. I think he can stay here another year or two and work on honing his skills for the style of ball the NBA facilitates today.

if he could just stay healthy enough to get into a routine....honestly, he might be better served to lose a few pounds to take some weight and stress off of the legs....he looked better in his first half season than he did this year

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He only has 1 year left. The NCAA is not allowing the year he had to sit out as a redshirt year.

Woops, I stand corrected.

I don’t think he’s been healthy long enough for the team to gel with him in the lineup, but I do believe with another off season CBP could make it work! Our style of play may change quite a bit next year after loosing both of our best 3point shooters.

I hope he comes back.  If we lose chuma, then a case could be made that the offense could focus through him while we are getting the new young bucks up to speed.

since we are all guessing ... I think his 3 injuries in 3 years will make him go pro.  the chance of a 4th injury in 4 years would torpedo his pro chances I would think.  wouldn't be worth the risk.  since I am no pro bball guy, I'll just assume that he could make a real nice living in europe then give himself a chance back in the nba.

On 3/6/2019 at 3:16 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

yeah his stock probably plummeted. I think next year will be more big oriented (do we get Sharife next season or the one after?), so it's likely in his best interest

Don’t agree with next season being more big-oriented. Looks like we’ll lineup with:

Harper

McCormick

Jones

Flannigan

Doughty

Okoro

Maybe Purifoy

Johnson

Williams

McLemore

Akingbola

Maybe Wiley.

I’m assuming Chuma goes pro. We simply replace Chuma with Jaylin Williams and Dunbar/Brown with Okoro/Flannigan, and Spencer with Akingbola. I don’t know, I just don’t see us being a big team again next season, unless we get some good news with Chuma and maybe pick up a grad transfer or something. 

Edit: Added "Maybe Purifoy" and Johnson

2 hours ago, toddc said:

I don’t think he’s been healthy long enough for the team to gel with him in the lineup, but I do believe with another off season CBP could make it work! Our style of play may change quite a bit next year after loosing both of our best 3point shooters.

I agree our style may be a bit different but I also tend to think we will still be a pretty heavy run and gun team, we just won’t be as dependent on the three ball. 

Okoro is a rim finisher, Williams is another Chuma, and Jones is a distributor. Harper may well lead us in three point attempts next season. I think we’ll be more balanced from a half court set, but not necessarily in our overall offensive strategy 

He has been hurt so much in his AU career I don’t see why an NBA team would take a chance on him.  He needs to come back.  

3 hours ago, toddc said:

Our style of play may change quite a bit next year after loosing both of our best 3point shooters.

Unlikely. Bruce teams everywhere he has been has been up tempo 3 point shooting teams.

2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Don’t agree with next season being more big-oriented. Looks like we’ll lineup with:

Harper

McCormick

Jones

Flannigan

Doughty

Okoro

Purifoy

Williams

McLemore

Akingbola

Maybe Wiley.

I’m assuming Chuma goes pro. We simply replace Chuma with Jaylin Williams and Dunbar/Brown with Okoro/Flannigan, and Spencer with Akingbola. I don’t know, I just don’t see us being a big team again next season, unless we get some good news with Chuma and maybe pick up a grad transfer or something. 

@tigerbrotha12 not sure if you saw my posts in the Purifoy thread but he's not returning barring a major shift. Also you forgot Jamal Johnson on your roster.

one thing that kinda' intrigues me for next year is maybe moving doughty to the 2....he would have to work on his ball handling a lot, but he won't be any worse than BB....one thing i notice about doughty, the guy can shoot basketball pretty well......if purifoy does leave, a move that i don't understand, and wiley comes back, and chuma comes back and harper comes back and mac, thats a good basketball right there and a much BIGGER lineup....johnson, okoro, williams and jones along with mccormick.....hmmm....maybe not a championship team but another good one.....i'm guessing, but i suspect chuma is back next year

10 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

if purifoy does leave, a move that i don't understand,

You don't understand a kid potentially wanting a fresh start & to be closer to his girlfriend & child? Well...

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

I think a factor in this equation that has to be looked at is how well he fits into our system. I'm glad he chose AU, and appreciate the hard work he has put in to stay in shape and contribute, however, given all of the events in the last couple of years it has to be asked. Does he fit somewhere else better? Not just better for us, but better for him. Maybe that is leaving early as a late round pick in the NBA, maybe that is a transfer, who knows. At this point I don't see how another year in our system helps him. The only way it would be good for us and him, is if he were 100% the whole season.

He seems a bit injury prone......or maybe just unlucky...but not sure what kind of program he could to at this point and expect to get a lot of playing time.  He's not a good shooter or ball handler.....and not sure what benefit it would be for him to go to some lower level program.   JMO but he's pretty much stuck where he is...and just needs to get healthy and in good shape to run the floor in the BP style of offense. 

14 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

.maybe that will open a spot for a transfer that can give more from a minute and production standpoint

There's a juco big man I'd love to get. Khadim Sy...

3 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

he actually does run the floor pretty well when he is not hurt

Seems that way but wonder if pounding up and down the floor contributes to those lower leg injuries?       I took a quick look at his stats and while at AU he's mostly been a role player I guess....only a few games with as many as 20 minutes...either year.   I guess some kind of half court offense would fit him...but his shooting is still sub-par.  

Archived