2020 5* F Greg Brown (Texas)

aucanucktiger

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The ones that we didn't get due to the LETTER OF INQUIRY were a problem! 

The point he and I are making is there is no such thing as a letter of intent inquiry. Letter of intent only applies to recruit signing with a school. If we have gotten inquiries those letters are called something else.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, crococile22 said:

[removed] just saw rule on premium content, sorry. Got a lil too excited

@crococile22 You can post one or two points from the premium content.

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@crococile22 You can post one or two points from the premium content.

point 1: greg says relationships are important and he's closest to shaka smart and bruce pearl out of all the schools

point 2: says winning is important but makes out like he's leaning towards texas (some mental gymnastics there for sure) but wont go there if shaka is fired

43 minutes ago, Butthead said:

so what are the odds of shaka being fired?  i don't follow texas stuff.

depends on if texas wants to remain mediocre. theyve only been to the tournament once (2018) in the past 5 years and doesnt look like theyll make it again. they could keep him another year just for a one and done prospect but idk if texas will just accept being a mediocre school in sports with the amount of money the shell out.

1 hour ago, crococile22 said:

depends on if texas wants to remain mediocre. theyve only been to the tournament once (2018) in the past 5 years and doesnt look like theyll make it again. they could keep him another year just for a one and done prospect but idk if texas will just accept being a mediocre school in sports with the amount of money the shell out.

They’re a bubble team. Probably need to win their last two and a big 12 tourney game or two to make sure they get in. I just have a hard time believing they would fire Smart if they’ve got a 5 star program changer waiting at the door to come in just because of him. Not sure how that dynamic would work, though. 

39 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

They’re a bubble team. Probably need to win their last two and a big 12 tourney game or two to make sure they get in. I just have a hard time believing they would fire Smart if they’ve got a 5 star program changer waiting at the door to come in just because of him. Not sure how that dynamic would work, though. 

I don't know.  He had Mo Bamba, and that wasn't a program-changing situation.  I think there's a greater precedent to suggest such a recruit would not necessarily right the ship.

I wonder how they view AU as far as winning goes. We are going to lose our entire starting 5 but if JG comes, we already have SC. That would be 3 big impact players coming in. Shoot add in the possibility of Kuminga too!  Would that look like a winning team to Mr. Brown vs his other top choices?

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

The point he and I are making is there is no such thing as a letter of intent inquiry. Letter of intent only applies to recruit signing with a school. If we have gotten inquiries those letters are called something else.

You can say that without the extra rhetoric, I certainly gained nothing from the condescending tone 

4 hours ago, Butthead said:

so what are the odds of shaka being fired?  i don't follow texas stuff.

The few UT fans I know have wanted him gone for years now, I think he's clearly clearly hit his ceiling at that school. probably like a Crean at Indiana situation (I find myself referencing that coach more than I'd like to) 

9 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Shaka has had 3 first round picks in his tenure (Jarrett Allen, mo Bamba and jaxson Hayes. The latter 2 were top 10 picks.). He did absolutely nothing with any of those teams. He's been had. He's been exposed. He's been caught. He's a fraud. He's a really good mid major coach but he is not a good power 5 coach. He has good talent every year at Texas and it's not like he took on a huge rebuilding project as Rick Barnes made the NCAA tourney 16 out of 17 seasons at Texas. If shaka does not make it this season it would be 3 times in 5 seasons he hasn't made it.

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The few UT fans I know have wanted him gone for years now, I think he's clearly clearly hit his ceiling at that school. probably like a Crean at Indiana situation (I find myself referencing that coach more than I'd like to) 

You and your crean love lol. That certainly took a big hit this year after you bought a lot of his stock! Haha.

But hey! Man shaka is really good at these loser lane post season tourneys! Lol. He has a CBI and NIT trophy to his resume!!! Haha.

These vcu coaches don't translate well to the power 5 level besides will wade. Jeff capel flamed out at Oklahoma after Blake Griffin left. Anthony grant was meh at bama. Shaka is woefully mediocre and has under performed for their talent level at Texas. Shaka should look at what anthony grant has going at Dayton and be like hey! That could be me in a few years when he finds a soft landing spot whenever this Texas thing ends in a a few weeks or a year. Anthony Grant has it freaking rolling in year 2 at Dayton. 

7 hours ago, thewhiz7 said:

I wonder how they view AU as far as winning goes. We are going to lose our entire starting 5 but if JG comes, we already have SC. That would be 3 big impact players coming in. Shoot add in the possibility of Kuminga too!  Would that look like a winning team to Mr. Brown vs his other top choices?

It’s supposedly an Auburn-Memphis battle right now. Coach Pearl has proven at least at this point he can build more of a winner team than Penny has. Particularly this season which was supposed to be a rebuilding year we are going to the tournament and have a good chance of winning more than 25 games.

This is going to be a weird recruitment, and I'm not sure anyone quite knows what GB (and/or his dad) will decide. I think all of his top 5 teams have some or most of the criteria they seem to be looking for, but I think every school also is missing a piece or two to what they want. And on top of all that, GB and his dad this he's a 2/3/4, but I don't see it as a 2/3. And I don't think a lot of others see that either. IMO I don't think he can defend those guard positions in the SEC but would be a really good matchup problem as a 4. And almost every program now is running some type of 4 out/1 in set. GB might actually fit offensively as a 3 at Auburn with Jaylin and Moore as the 4s and Stretch and someone else at the 5. But defensively, I think he'd be a liability there, which honestly might be the case with most of the roster next year. We just might not be very good defensively next year because of the youth and inexperience but could have a ton of overall offensive talent.

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

This is going to be a weird recruitment, and I'm not sure anyone quite knows what GB (and/or his dad) will decide. I think all of his top 5 teams have some or most of the criteria they seem to be looking for, but I think every school also is missing a piece or two to what they want. And on top of all that, GB and his dad this he's a 2/3/4, but I don't see it as a 2/3. And I don't think a lot of others see that either. IMO I don't think he can defend those guard positions in the SEC but would be a really good matchup problem as a 4. And almost every program now is running some type of 4 out/1 in set. GB might actually fit offensively as a 3 at Auburn with Jaylin and Moore as the 4s and Stretch and someone else at the 5. But defensively, I think he'd be a liability there, which honestly might be the case with most of the roster next year. We just might not be very good defensively next year because of the youth and inexperience but could have a ton of overall offensive talent.

Sigh, I'll deliver the bag if @augolf1716 fills it. I'm sure Greg is a big PBR guy.

2 hours ago, crococile22 said:

this is also a bad look

Let's send them the old curtains from the Ellis days that hung in the Coliseum...

CAN WE GET A LITTLE HELP HERE?!?!?! TO make it easier for us to get a top 10 recruit!!!! lol. LOSE LOSE LOSE DANGIT!!!!! hahaha.

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

CAN WE GET A LITTLE HELP HERE?!?!?! TO make it easier for us to get a top 10 recruit!!!! lol. LOSE LOSE LOSE DANGIT!!!!! hahaha.

I know it- Brown's recruitment might rest on whether Texas makes the tournament or not, given it could likely determine Smart's job status. When that shot went in, I was very disappointed because it could mean we don't get Greg.

I really hope Pearl is focusing his efforts on guys who want to be at AU vs hoping a highly rated player like Brown falls into our laps. Hope is not a good recruiting strategy

I'm going to trust Pearl on his recruiting. He seems like he's pretty dang good at it.

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

I really hope Pearl is focusing his efforts on guys who want to be at AU vs hoping a highly rated player like Brown falls into our laps. Hope is not a good recruiting strategy

Pearl is focusing his efforts on *making* guys "want to be at AU", because nobody "wants to be at AU" to play basketball. No offense, but nothing would be more "hopeful" than trying to build a perennial contender out of guys who "want to be at AU".

Now, you might win a lot of celebration contests with Moppy McBamabangs and his 3 amigos at the end of the bench. Those dudes want to play at AU.

But blue chip basketball players who win trophies... well, the more I learn about college recruiting, the less I understand. But I know it's complicated, and it's even more about business decisions than football is. 

1 hour ago, thewhiz7 said:

I'm going to trust Pearl on his recruiting. He seems like he's pretty dang good at it.

True.....i'm still getting used to the bball recruiting and the lack of information we get makes it hard. Seems we are finishing second or third for lots of the big names which while a great improvement on where we used to be, won't do us a heck of a lot of good next season when we lose pretty much all our production. In football there seems to always be tons of names out there as potential recruits while in bball there are much fewer names floating out there. So makes the misses seem like a bigger then when i'm sure they are not. 

I'm also still trying to get on board with having multiple 1 and done guys on the team. I honestly like the idea of 1-2 each year and fill the rest with the Cambridge, Flanigans and Jaylin's of the world. Guys who will develop for 3-4 years......fingers crossed we find the size we'll require to be successful next season. 

Archived