2020 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

11 hours ago, Tiger72 said:

did the 7'2" Philippino player get an offer?

@Tiger72 There have been no reported offers yet for him from any school. Also not sure where he is on our staff's board at C as it relates to Makur & Big Cliff.

2 hours ago, Tiger72 said:

Does anyone know the recruits that attended today's game? I saw four young men inside the locker room after the game on a clip on social media.

I'll try to remember to ask Mark or Jason from ITAT the next time I see them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on pins and needles waiting to see where Green and Big Cliff sign.  If by some type of miracle we get both we would be incredibly good next year.  We will be returning some really good players in Flanagan, Cambridge, Williams, Johnson adding  a sharp shooter in Powell, a complete 2 in Green, one of the best PG's in the game in Cooper and a big man in Cliff. The only thing better than that would to get all 4 and then have Okoro decide to stay for one more year to play with Cooper.  That would be a scary good team.

In the past I couldn't even dream about signing a class like this but with Bruce anything is possible. 

• Like 2

Here’s how I predict that we finish

Center (1 of the following 3) - Cliff Omuruyi, Makur Maker, or Kai Sotto

SF - Jonathan Kuminga (reclassified to 2020)

SG - Jalen Green

2020/21 National Champions!

• Love 1

Man if we get Green and a high quality big man then next years team would have to go down as the most talented AU team ever. I put the big man need slightly higher then getting Green just because of our lack of bodies for that position

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

SG - Jalen Green

The thing is, this isn't that crazy of a prediction...

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:
2 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

SG - Jalen Green

The thing is, this isn't that crazy of a prediction...

No, it's a damn CameronCrazy prediction

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Man if we get Green and a high quality big man then next years team would have to go down as the most talented AU team ever. I put the big man need slightly higher then getting Green just because of our lack of bodies for that position

It will be interesting to see how the roster is managed. Big man is a big need for sure. The staff wants 2. They also want to get a PG, preferably a Grad Transfer, so Sharife isn't doing all the PG work by himself. Then you have these other supremely talented kids at other positions.

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

No, it's a damn CameronCrazy prediction

& the one time CC isn't crazy at all. Well except for the 2021 Natty. It will be hard for a roster of near all underclassmen to win it all, no matter how talented they are.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ellitor said:

& the one time CC isn't crazy at all. Well except for the 2021 Natty. It will be hard for a roster of near all underclassmen to win it all, no matter how talented they are.

If this all comes true, I still don't think our class will be rated #1. True or False? Duke and KY may still have higher rated classes.

29 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

If this all comes true, I still don't think our class will be rated #1. True or False? Duke and KY may still have higher rated classes.

if they don’t add any more to their classes then false. As player rankings are now auburn would have the number one class if we land Green, Kuminga, and anyone of the centers (i’m assuming given all the buzz Sotto will be a top 50 recruit whenever he gets rated.)

• Love 1

On 1/21/2020 at 3:01 PM, ellitor said:

if they don’t add any more to their classes then false. As player rankings are now auburn would have the number one class if we land Green, Kuminga, and anyone of the centers (i’m assuming given all the buzz Sotto will be a top 50 recruit whenever he gets rated.)

That's cool news. Crossed fingers Pearl pulls this off!

On 1/21/2020 at 12:56 PM, ellitor said:

It will be interesting to see how the roster is managed. Big man is a big need for sure. The staff wants 2. They also want to get a PG, preferably a Grad Transfer, so Sharife isn't doing all the PG work by himself. Then you have these other supremely talented kids at other positions.

You expect Turbo to not step into at least a backup role? If not, I bet he transfers. 

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

You expect Turbo to not step into at least a backup role?

@jared52 No because the staff doesn't expect it. As Pearl has said a number of times Turbo was strictly recruited to play the 2  During his recruitment Jared was expected to come back to AU. Turbo was moved to the point out of necessity when Jared left.

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

If not, I bet he transfers. 

I'm all for it if it opens up a spot for us to get a Grad Transfer more acclimated to playing the point. If Turbo stays I expect the staff to move him back to his natural position as soon as the roster make up allows it.

• Like 1

Assuming they havent given him many reps at the 1 in practice, Id honestly just rather start from ground zero there and have him transfer. He might have a leg up in experience over any transfer, but its not good experience 

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Assuming they havent given him many reps at the 1 in practice, Id honestly just rather start from ground zero there and have him transfer. He might have a leg up in experience over any transfer, but its not good experience 

Only on the scout team, he probably is getting reps.

In games, if he had any, any ability to run the point he would have been in the mix.

but as all of us see, PEarl has resigned himself to only using J'Von and then Samir as PGs, and basically bringing Okoro up to the 2 guard spot when Samir is in. 

• Like 2

I want Turbo to stay. He hasn't been able to put his best foot forward because of his injury really setting him back in the summer/fall. I want to see what this kid can do with a real off-season playing in the SG/combo guard role. He's had some moments that make you think once he gets his feet under him he can be an asset for us. And of course he has had some cringe worthy moments too.

It's ok that he's not a true PG, that's fine we can utilize him at the 2. As it stands right now our SG rotation will likely be Al Flan/Turbo/Powell next year. Flan and Powell can probably play 3 for us but Turbo is too small for that.

The kid was a 4* guard, we can use someone with his talent on our team. I think it's a little quick to write him off just yet, although we were all hoping for more from him this season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2020 at 2:32 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Assuming they havent given him many reps at the 1 in practice

It's not football where the 2nd teamers don't get much work. He's getting plenty of practice work right now & it's all at the 1 by necessity.

On 1/26/2020 at 2:32 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He might have a leg up in experience over any transfer

Not a quality Grad Transfer which we could easily get if we have the spot open for it.

On 1/21/2020 at 2:01 PM, ellitor said:

Will this be the first Japanese player we ever signed?    Sorry couldn't resist. his grandfather was really good on Karate Kid II

Edited by ArgoEagle

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

I want Turbo to stay. He hasn't been able to put his best foot forward because of his injury really setting him back in the summer/fall. I want to see what this kid can do with a real off-season playing in the SG/combo guard role. He's had some moments that make you think once he gets his feet under him he can be an asset for us. And of course he has had some cringe worthy moments too.

It's ok that he's not a true PG, that's fine we can utilize him at the 2. As it stands right now our SG rotation will likely be Al Flan/Turbo/Powell next year. Flan and Powell can probably play 3 for us but Turbo is too small for that.

The kid was a 4* guard, we can use someone with his talent on our team. I think it's a little quick to write him off just yet, although we were all hoping for more from him this season.

Oh, I don't think most of us are giving up on him. We are just addressing his ability to play pg to help THIS team.

I know he also had surgery before fall practice and was out for about 2 months I think, putting him behind.

And he is a freshman,  but he definitely helps Bruce with the fast pace he wants to run with, especially his guards.

We will get a better gauge on his ability to contribute next year and if he has a place in the rotation. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Oh, I don't think most of us are giving up on him. We are just addressing his ability to play pg to help THIS team.

I know he also had surgery before fall practice and was out for about 2 months I think, putting him behind.

And he is a freshman,  but he definitely helps Bruce with the fast pace he wants to run with, especially his guards.

We will get a better gauge on his ability to contribute next year and if he has a place in the rotation. 

I hope we wait until next year. We are a turned ankle away from having to play him 10-15 minutes a night

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

We are a turned ankle away from having to play him 10-15 minutes a night

Hence why I want to bring in a Grad Transfer PG if we have a spot for one. Then Turbo can move to the 2.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

Hence why I want to bring in a Grad Transfer PG if we have a spot for one. Then Turbo can move to the 2.

And a grad Tranfer PG will definitely get playing time, either as the starter, if Cooper is slow to take over, or if Cooper is our starting PG, the transfer will also play a lot anyway...

Although I wish their was a JC PG out there like McCormick was, that would give us 2 years

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

But what are the chances of having a spot for one? I know you've said the staff believes Okoro will go pro, but are there any other hints out there? Besides Okoro leaving, the only indication I've seen that we might have a third spot (presuming we do get two big men, as would seemingly be ideal) is for Turbo to transfer.

*Full disclosure* I only started getting caught up with basketball recruiting yesterday, and I did that primarily by reading the last few pages of this thread, so there are likely gaps in my awareness about what's going on with the program past this season.

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

But what are the chances of having a spot for one?

@Rednilla It may depend on who's willing to come on board & if the staff is willing to make room for what they feel they need.

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

are there any other hints out there? Besides Okoro leaving, the only indication I've seen that we might have a third spot (presuming we do get two big men, as would seemingly be ideal) is for Turbo to transfer.

Kind of confused how this is worded. If Okoro goes pro then there will be a 3rd open spot without anyone needing to transfer. There's 2 open spots now with 5 SRs leaving & 3 recruits signed. I don't think 2 Bigs is a presumption nor necessarily ideal to the staff. Not sure if true but people close to the program say the staff will make room on the roster for their top targets in the class regardless of position. Those being SG Jalen Green, F John Kuminga (if he reclassifies to 2020 which looks likely), PF Greg Brown, 1 C (Maker Makur, Big Cliff, Kai Sotto), & maybe a transfer PG. So best case scenario that would be 5 additions. Greg Brown is likely a longshot so 3-4 is more realistic. If it is 4 then someone will have to transfer.