2020 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Rednilla It may depend on who's willing to come on board & if the staff is willing to make room for what they feel they need.

Kind of confused how this is worded. If Okoro goes pro then there will be a 3rd open spot without anyone needing to transfer. There's 2 open spots now with 5 SRs leaving & 3 recruits signed. I don't think 2 Bigs is a presumption nor necessarily ideal to the staff. Not sure if true but people close to the program say the staff will make room on the roster for their top targets in the class regardless of position. Those being SG Jalen Green, F John Kuminga (if he reclassifies to 2020 which looks likely), PF Greg Brown, 1 C (Maker Makur, Big Cliff, Kai Sotto), & maybe a transfer PG. So best case scenario that would be 5 additions. Greg Brown is likely a longshot so 3-4 is more realistic. If it is 4 then someone will have to transfer.

You answered perfectly. If Okoro doesn't go pro, do you think Bruce would push two guys to transfer should we get Green, Kuminga, 1 C (I don't know why, but I get the feeling it will be Sotto), and a transfer PG? And how likely do you think it is that Turbo will transfer? I saw one person on here seemed to think it's inevitable, but that appeared to me more a sky-is-falling prediction than knowledgeable insight.

Also, this isn't recruiting related, but I've been wondering: how did Stretch go from 6'8 on his recruiting profile to 6'10 on the roster? Did he actually grow, or is it more a fudge job? Or, perhaps, in between, like he did grow an inch to 6'9, but the extra inch is just to look better for the fans? I noticed Okoro is listed as 6'6 now instead of 6'5, as well, so I would guess that we're pushing the boundaries a little with the measurements, as most schools do (such as listing me at 160 on the football team in high school when I was 140 soaking wet), but it seemed a little more relevant for Stretch since he's the only true center we have coming back next year.

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

If Okoro doesn't go pro, do you think Bruce would push two guys to transfer should we get Green, Kuminga, 1 C (I don't know why, but I get the feeling it will be Sotto), and a transfer PG?

@Rednilla I don't know. Just saying that's what people close to the program are implying. Likely doesn't matter because word is if Okoro stays (which is a very very long longshot right now) our chances of getting Kuminga drop a good bit.

And how likely do you think it is that Turbo will transfer?

No clue & I won't speculate on it. I'll just bring over credible info if I find any on it at any point. Also rumblings of particular players transferring don't usually come out til after the season so we still have a ways to go before crossing that bridge.

how did Stretch go from 6'8 on his recruiting profile to 6'10 on the roster? Did he actually grow, or is it more a fudge job? Or, perhaps, in between, like he did grow an inch to 6'9, but the extra inch is just to look better for the fans?

It's very possible he grew a couple inches since he wasn't 18 when recruiting sites had access to him & he had to go back to Nigeria & not even have a high school SR year in the US. So there was nearly 2 years from the time recruiting sites had access to him til he came to AU straight from Nigeria this past August. Makes the growth all the more likely. That being said AU football & basketball has a history of enhancing heights & weights. For example, Jared Harper was list at 5-11 at AU. I can tell you from standing right by him several times he's not 5'11.

• Thanks 1

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 1:02 PM, Rednilla said:

You answered perfectly. If Okoro doesn't go pro, do you think Bruce would push two guys to transfer should we get Green, Kuminga, 1 C (I don't know why, but I get the feeling it will be Sotto), and a transfer PG? And how likely do you think it is that Turbo will transfer? I saw one person on here seemed to think it's inevitable, but that appeared to me more a sky-is-falling prediction than knowledgeable insight.

Also, this isn't recruiting related, but I've been wondering: how did Stretch go from 6'8 on his recruiting profile to 6'10 on the roster? Did he actually grow, or is it more a fudge job? Or, perhaps, in between, like he did grow an inch to 6'9, but the extra inch is just to look better for the fans? I noticed Okoro is listed as 6'6 now instead of 6'5, as well, so I would guess that we're pushing the boundaries a little with the measurements, as most schools do (such as listing me at 160 on the football team in high school when I was 140 soaking wet), but it seemed a little more relevant for Stretch since he's the only true center we have coming back next year.

I think he would.  Improving your roster and kids transferring for more playing time is just part of building a championship basketball program.

The players you mentioned are all at a skill level beyond where some of our current players are.  1-2 transfers a year sounds about right if you're bringing in Top 100 players.

• Thanks 1

#not2020 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Thanks 1

• Thanks 1

• Like 1

We are going to lose a heck of a lot down low next year: Wiley, McLemore, Purifoy.  Two-part question: 1) Who are we really actively in the hunt for as far as bigs go (Omoruyi, Maker, Brown)? 2) Who is likely to contribute next year on the existing roster (Akingbola, Williams)?  From everything I can tell, Babatunde will be our tallest guy at 6'8."

10 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

We are going to lose a heck of a lot down low next year: Wiley, McLemore, Purifoy.  Two-part question: 1) Who are we really actively in the hunt for as far as bigs go (Omoruyi, Maker, Brown)? 2) Who is likely to contribute next year on the existing roster (Akingbola, Williams)?  From everything I can tell, Babatunde will be our tallest guy at 6'8."

If we get Cliff, we'll have a 6'11 guy. We also bring in 6'6 Chris Moore who will have the body type of Okoro. (Big, strong small forward that can play PF if needed).

12 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

the bio on Akingbola says he is 6' 10". If you look at the team photo and he standing next to WIley, he is either 6' 10" or Wiley is not 6' 11" as stated, bc Akingbola is only 1 inch shorter than Wiley in the photo. Aking just needs some more bulk, if he can gain some weight.

This is from memory so forgive if it's off but IIRC, per the NBA combine where they use actual measurements, Austin Wiley measured at 6'8.5 without shoes and and 6'10 with shoes.

Just for reference if we're comparing based on pics. The listed heights of these guys are not going to be accurate at all when it comes to the schools publishing these things. Pro combines are really info you can trust.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, War to the Eagle said:

Anyone know which visitors were in for the game?

Just a couple of 2022 kids. Chandler Jackson & Devin Ree.

• Thanks 1

I hope @jalengreen got to watch our game and Memphis today.  Memphis gave the 11-12 USF Bulls almost everything they could handle today.

On 2/2/2020 at 10:08 PM, War to the Eagle said:

Theres like 4-5 bigs we're recruiting and Im pretty sure, while Akingbola isn't getting time currently, he is expected to be a huge part of their future. He's the type of guy that once they add some weight on him, height against 4s or 5s shouldnt matter. I dont have too much of a preference for which centers they take, but I know we need one that can shoot to replace Mac

22 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I want Jalen Green to play for Auburn so bad. 

I'm greedy. I want Kuminga too. Plus one of the three big time centers we're in on. And a JUCO/grad transfer point guard if Bruce thinks we need one.

But we won't find out about this for another couple of months yet, unfortunately.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2020 at 10:08 PM, War to the Eagle said:

1) All three bigs you mentioned are in play. We’re trying to get Cliff to take another visit soon. He’s the one I want in this group of bigs. There’s also Cooper’s McEachern teammate Dylan Cardwell, who is a little more of a project big and might not contribute as much next year. If we miss on all the top names, I think we will take a HS kid like Cardwell and a grad transfer big to give Stretch some help and add some experience to the roster. 

2) Stretch is really the only true 5 on the roster right now. We need to add at least 1, possibly two to next year’s roster, depending on ability.

I love having 3 guys that can play 5. How key was it for us last year having Mac, Wiley, and Horace able to give us big minutes at the 5? With how aggressive we are on D getting in foul trouble, especially down low, is inevitable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

I love having 3 guys that can play 5. How key was it for us last year having Mac, Wiley, and Horace able to give us big minutes at the 5? With how aggressive we are on D getting in foul trouble, especially down low, is inevitable.

IMO it's very important to have that flexibility for the way Bruce wants to play. We're aggressive and physical, and that, at times, puts us in foul trouble. Having three able bodies to play the 5 and not have an obvious hole in our defense if two guys get into foul trouble has really helped us the last two seasons. That and having 3 guys who can play PG are two really important aspects of our roster.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, boomstick said:

IMO it's very important to have that flexibility for the way Bruce wants to play. We're aggressive and physical, and that, at times, puts us in foul trouble. Having three able bodies to play the 5 and not have an obvious hole in our defense if two guys get into foul trouble has really helped us the last two seasons. That and having 3 guys who can play PG are two really important aspects of our roster.

100% agree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, boomstick said:

That and having 3 guys who can play PG are two really important aspects of our roster

Which is why I think it's more important to get a GT PG to help Sharife next season that a GT big man if we land a high school Big. Turbo is a 2 & not adjusting to the 1 well. We have 3 spots left with likely Okoro gone. 1 is for Jalen should he choose AU. I hope we make room to meet all our needs & elite targets which is Kuminga at SF if he reclassifies, a high school big. GT Big, & a GT PG.

• Like 1