2020 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

Yeah, he is getting called out lately on 24/7 for that sunshine pumping,too. He does provide insight on some things, but I don't get my hopes up on what he says about recruiting, and I know he wears O&B glasses when judging our talent. Still, he seems like a okay guy

He's definitely a good guy. Just sees things overly sunny sometimes & gets pissy sometimes when people ask alternative questions or give critiques that aren't truly negative.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Y'all gotta share these things. Posting 2 or 3 tidbits from premium articles & posts are well within our rules.

Ok will do, thought it was not allowed )

6 minutes ago, Samau said:

Ok will do, thought it was not allowed )

There hasn't been a grandiose announcement but Titan posted this in the recruiting forum last year & it applies to the whole site...

• Love 1

10 hours ago, doverstutts said:

Of all the names floating around for big men that AU is recruiting, I hear very little about this guy Dylan Cardwell. i just watched several minutes of video on him, and what am I missing about teams recruiting him? He would be one helluva' consolation prize. I did read where Cooper says he is recruiting him, but very little from other sources. Is he not interested in AU or something?

Cardwell is a guy we’re looking at, but we have some other guys higher on our board right now. Rivals posted a few weeks ago that he was a tier-2 player to keep an eye on. I believe it said he has mentioned wanting to play with Sharife and is waiting on an offer. 

I also think if we take Cardwell we need to take a grad transfer big. Cardwell is a little raw but has upside. Stretch is still raw. I don’t think you can man the 5 with just those two next year. If we land Cliff or Brown, I’m not sure we will go get a GT big. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Feeling lazy. What’s the story here?

Cardwell transferred to McEachern but was ruled ineligible for his senior year. Transferring in the Atlanta metro area seems like a pretty common occurrence, but for whatever reason, Cardwell wasn’t cleared to play and had to sit all year. Sounds like the team that beat them this weekend and the team they beat the previous round both had transfers that were cleared. 

Edited by boomstick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, boomstick said:

Cardwell transferred to McEachern but was ruled ineligible for his senior year. Transferring in the Atlanta metro area seems like a pretty common occurrence, but for whatever reason, Cardwell wasn’t cleared to play and had to sit all year. Sounds like the team that beat them this weekend and the team they beat the previous round both had transfers that were cleared. 

I Agree. I hate that a HS player loses his whole senior year. I could understand a suspension to start the season, but to not allow him to play at all? Was there any evidence of McEachern trying to recruit him there?

What are everyone's thoughts on how we finish with this class? Let's assume, for this exercise, we have 4 spots available because Okoro leaves and one player transfers out. I'll start:

Green

Cardwell

GT big: Someone like Patrick Tape' at Columbia or Salif Boudie at Arkansas St

GT PG: Someone like Mike Smith at Columbia or Tobias Howard at Towson or Brendan Barry from Dartmouth

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I Agree. I hate that a HS player loses his whole senior year. I could understand a suspension to start the season, but to not allow him to play at all? Was there any evidence of McEachern trying to recruit him there?

Don't know much about the situation. I think recruiting in that area is pretty prevalent, and I think that's part of the frustration with this situation. Other competitors in the area had kids transfer in without penalty and McEachern feels like they weren't held to the same stardard.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, boomstick said:

What are everyone's thoughts on how we finish with this class? Let's assume, for this exercise, we have 4 spots available because Okoro leaves and one player transfers out. I'll start:

Green

Cardwell

GT PG: Someone like Mike Smith at Columbia or Tobias Howard at Towson or Brendan Barry from Dartmouth

A 'Mike Smith' sounds like the steadiest hand you could ever get on board, definitely need that at the PG

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

A 'Mike Smith' sounds like the steadiest hand you could ever get on board, definitely need that at the PG

His season and career stat line are pretty dirty too. He might be too high profile a player for us to pull with Sharife coming in. It's going to be difficult to land a highly coveted PG because plenty of other places will offer a better playing time opportunity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

Green

Cardwell

All the above plus Kuminga. That means two current players would be moving on.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, ellitor said:

All the above plus Kuminga. That means two current players would be moving on.

if we do end up getting brown somehow we could lineup like the 2018-19 squad with undersized centers

finish the class with Green, Brown, Caldwell would be a good way to close out the class

Edited by crococile22

35 minutes ago, crococile22 said:

finish the class with Green, Brown, Caldwell would be a good way to close out the class

I don't see a scenario where we don't also add a GT PG barring a Turbo turnaround at point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

It's going to be difficult to land a highly coveted PG because plenty of other places will offer a better playing time opportunity.

What about NCAA Tourney opportunity? That will be a big factor for some from lesser successful schools.

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I don't see a scenario where we don't also add a GT PG barring a Turbo turnaround at point.

its gonna be hard to get a GT pg who will only play 10minutes and be behind a true freshman. We were lucky to find jvon imo and the GT pg we will attract wont be better than turbo at the point. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, crococile22 said:

its gonna be hard to get a GT pg who will only play 10minutes and be behind a true freshman

I don't think it will be that hard. There are approximately 350 D1 teams. Only 68 go dancing. There are many quality PGs not getting to fulfill their dreams of dancing that I would wager a lot we can find one quality to join a team that has a good shot of making the Tourney. Also because there are so many teams & players at each position, not every guy is looking or expecting to get more PT so they can spring boards to the Pros.

35 minutes ago, crococile22 said:

the GT pg we will attract wont be better than turbo at the point. 

Disagree. Turbo is not a PG by nature & we should be able to find a quality GT or Juco PG that is better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

That means two current players would be moving on.

If u were to guess who, who u got?  Turbo and Johnson would be my guess

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

If u were to guess who, who u got?  Turbo and Johnson would be my guess

Not something I'm going to speculate on. Being someone that gets info from time to time & is always looking for info my opinion could get confused as something I heard may happen. I don't think that would be fair to the kids on the team. I will say I think what Turbo ends up deciding may ultimately depend on if we land Jalen Green. I think we are getting a juco or GT PG regardless. If we don't get Green there will be a bigger need for Turbo at the 2 which is his natural position.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, crococile22 said:

couldnt find Thor's page

We don't have a thread for him yet. Will wait to see if he becomes a major target.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, crococile22 said:

couldnt find Thor's page. think he could be our plan b to cliff o

THAT would be awesome to hear over the PA system at Auburn Arena!!!!! THOR HAMMERS HOME ANOTHER MONSTER DUNK!!!!!!!!!!! Where are you G-Will????????????????????

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, crococile22 said:

couldnt find Thor's page. think he could be our plan b to cliff o

This was a little out of left field as Thor and Auburn had not really been mentioned in the same conversation, and Auburn didn't make his top 5. 

Bruce may be really pushing this, which makes me think Cliff to AU is losing traction. Boy I'd love to get JT. Top 10 prospect from the 2021 class that reclassified to 2020.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, boomstick said:

GT big

After looking at last year’s portal I’m not as optimistic about getting a quality GT big. Only ones from last year I would see as quality are Blacksheer and Yanni Wetzel.