2020 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

5* C Maker Makur has AU in his top 2 with Oregon per his instagram if he is not able to be eligible for the NBA Draft.

Did he delete it or something? I do not see it on his page. Was it in his IG story? 

https://www.instagram.com/makurmaker1/

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Did he delete it or something? I do not see it on his page. Was it in his IG story? 

https://www.instagram.com/makurmaker1/

I saw it on AUC. It was a pic someone took of a post I assumed was from instagram. I guess it could have been another social platform. I don't have instagram so I don't know how to see actual instagram posts.

5* C Maker Makur has AU in his top 2 with Oregon per his instagram if he is not able to be eligible for the NBA Draft.

Not sure it will matter. It looks like the NBA player's assoc is helping in getting him eligible.

"The NBA Players Association is helping Makur get eligible," the source said, adding that Makur has submitted all of his transcripts and is waiting to hear back from the league office. "The NBPA thinks he will receive it. More than likely he will be in this draft class."

Although I will add that his latest showcase, he didn't play well, and if he is applying bc he thinks he will be drafted high, it looks like that isn't going to happen as his draft stock is dropping.

But it is a good fall back option...

Edited by steeleagle

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Not sure it will matter. It looks like the NBA player's assoc is helping in getting him eligible.

"The NBA Players Association is helping Makur get eligible," the source said, adding that Makur has submitted all of his transcripts and is waiting to hear back from the league office. "The NBPA thinks he will receive it. More than likely he will be in this draft class."

Although I will add that his latest showcase, he didn't play well, and if he is applying bc he thinks he will be drafted high, it looks like that isn't going to happen as his draft stock is dropping.

But it is a good fall back option...

Thanks @steeleagle but please always provide links when posting article excerpts whenever possible,

• Like 1

Sounds like a perfect scenario to me in that it's looking like he will need a year of school to polish his game

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

I saw it on AUC. It was a pic someone took of a post I assumed was from instagram. I guess it could have been another social platform. I don't have instagram so I don't know how to see actual instagram posts.

I thought that is where you saw that. I was just making sure. That was just a edit from a fan ig page. 

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I thought that is where you saw that. I was just making sure. That was just a edit from a fan ig page. 

Well damn! That was a misleading post on AUC.

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2020 at 1:04 PM, ellitor said:

Which is why I think it's more important to get a GT PG to help Sharife next season that a GT big man if we land a high school Big. Turbo is a 2 & not adjusting to the 1 well. We have 3 spots left with likely Okoro gone. 1 is for Jalen should he choose AU. I hope we make room to meet all our needs & elite targets which is Kuminga at SF if he reclassifies, a high school big. GT Big, & a GT PG.

We have immediate playing time to sell at every position but PG.  We have putting guys in the league to sell.  I'm feeling good on landing 2-3 of the guys we really want and hitting the GT market for a few role players.  Take a project big if we still have room after a guy or two decides to transfer.

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Daeshun Ruffin's rivals page has him as a high 4 star, almost 5 star type of guy. Dude's doing big things for his height 

Lol bro. Rivals? That's the last place you should be looking at for bball crutin rankings. For bball I would go ESPN then 247.

Greg Brown got a crystal ball to Memphis from Andrew Slater one of the most well connected Bball crutin experts out there yesterday.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2020-Basketball/TargetPredictions/

16 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol bro. Rivals? That's the last place you should be looking at for bball crutin rankings. For bball I would go ESPN then 247.

It was 247, my bad. I don’t personally differentiate any of these sites, its just whichever one validates my agenda https://247sports.com/Player/Daeshun-Ruffin-46057312/

• Haha 1

• Sad 1

On 2/16/2020 at 11:06 AM, dyehardfanAU said:

We have immediate playing time to sell at every position but PG

We have PT to sell at PG also unless Turbo miraculously becomes a PG. Sharife ain't playing all 40 of the PG minutes each game.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We have PT to sell at PG also unless Turbo miraculously becomes a PG. Sharife ain't playing all 40 of the PG minutes each game.

A guy needs to be good with 10 or fewer minutes. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

A guy needs to be good with 10 or fewer minutes. 

Not hard to find a PG to fit that category. There are plenty a quality PG not getting a shot to play in the NCAA Tourney.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not hard to find a PG to fit that category. There are plenty a quality PG not getting a shot to play in the NCAA Tourney.

The hard part is finding a guy who is willing to accept that role and know coming in he's the backup PG to a true freshman. You find that guy and you've found someone who will absolutely help this team next year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

The hard part is finding a guy who is willing to accept that role and know coming in he's the backup PG to a true freshman. You find that guy and you've found someone who will absolutely help this team next year. 

A Robert Johnson type. With 350 or so college basketball teams that’s not hard to find either.

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

I realize he is coming in too as a FR, but wasn't Powell playing some at PG in HS?

I would think an experienced player would be our first option, and either a guy in the portal or a JC PG(Like J'Von) who wants to play with a major college basketball program having success in the NCAAs and a quality coach who develops well, would be an enticing carrot.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

A Robert Johnson type. With 350 so my college basketball teams that’s not hard to find either.

But even Johnson came in thinking he had a chance to win that starting job because we didn't know if Harper would be quite ready for this level as a true freshman. The difficulty is most guys transferring or grad transferring want to play. If a senior is leaving, he's usually looking for a better spot to compete for a championship. And if he has any stats about him, he's been starting at his previous school. It's really hard to find a player who has proven he can play that will also accept a backup role. Most times, they're transferring to be the guy somewhere else.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I realize he is coming in too as a FR, but wasn't Powell playing some at PG in HS?

I would think an experienced player would be our first option, and either a guy in the portal or a JC PG(Like J'Von) who wants to play with a major college basketball program having success in the NCAAs and a quality coach who develops well, would be an enticing carrot.

I think it's possible we could use someone like Powell as a backup option, similar to Samir this year. If I had to guess, I think Bruce would prefer a true PG. And I'm not completely writing Turbo off. For all we know, his injury during the summer could've set him back too much for him to get ready and compete for PT this year but he could be a different guy next year. A lot of what we look for in the offseason will probably hinge on his ability to play PG moving forward.

• Like 1

A Robert Johnson type. With 350 so my college basketball teams that’s not hard to find either.

Are you talking about Ronnie Johnson? If so, I’d agree that someone in his type of roll would be very useful next year. Not just as a PG, but also to address what will be a dearth of upperclassmen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

But even Johnson came in thinking he had a chance to win that starting job because we didn't know if Harper would be quite ready for this level as a true freshman. The difficulty is most guys transferring or grad transferring want to play. If a senior is leaving, he's usually looking for a better spot to compete for a championship. And if he has any stats about him, he's been starting at his previous school. It's really hard to find a player who has proven he can play that will also accept a backup role. Most times, they're transferring to be the guy somewhere else.

Understood but I still say with over 350 college teams we should be able to find a quality PG that's willing to play about 10 minutes a game, especially if he's coming from a school with little to no chance to play in the NCAA Tourney.

1 hour ago, AuburnArch13 said:

Are you talking about Ronnie Johnson? If so, I’d agree that someone in his type of roll would be very useful next year. Not just as a PG, but also to address what will be a dearth of upperclassmen.

Yes & thanks!

On 2/17/2020 at 10:40 AM, GwillMac6 said:

Greg Brown got a crystal ball to Memphis from Andrew Slater one of the most well connected Bball crutin experts out there yesterday.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2020-Basketball/TargetPredictions/

Do you suspect that is a reaction to Jaden getting a CB to Auburn?  

Just seems with the timing, that CB is related.