2020 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

I saw where somebody mentioned Dylan Cardwell as a backup choice at Center. I went out and watched his film . He appears to be an honest 6'10"  he is not thick but he is not skinny either so he won't be pushed around, runs fairly well protects the rim, rebounds well , most of his offense are put backs after rebounds and dunks has decent form on a mid range jump shot but did not see enough to say he is a good mid range shooter.  He is an honest 4* who will develop and get better each year. 

I would be happy to get him especially as he is type of player who would probably stay at Auburn for 3 to 4 years.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Which is why I think it's more important to get a GT PG to help Sharife next season that a GT big man if we land a high school Big. Turbo is a 2 & not adjusting to the 1 well. We have 3 spots left with likely Okoro gone. 1 is for Jalen should he choose AU. I hope we make room to meet all our needs & elite targets which is Kuminga at SF if he reclassifies, a high school big. GT Big, & a GT PG.

To me, it depends on the big. If we land Cliff or Maker, I don't think we need a GT big. We can use Stretch and the elite HS kid and supplement with Jaylin or Moore or Franklin if we got into foul trouble. But if we take a big who needs more time (like Kai Sotto or Dylan Cardwell or someone further down our list), then I think we need to take a GT big. And I still think we need a backup PG even if we take a GT big. If Turbo isn't going to be a PG, I agree that we have to have help for Sharife.

Right now, I'd say Green, a big (maybe 2 depending on the HS kid), and a GT PG are necessities. If we need to take more than 3 guys because of a second big or Kuminga, we probably have to make room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I saw where somebody mentioned Dylan Cardwell as a backup choice at Center. I went out and watched his film . He appears to be an honest 6'10"  he is not thick but he is not skinny either so he won't be pushed around, runs fairly well protects the rim, rebounds well , most of his offense are put backs after rebounds and dunks has decent form on a mid range jump shot but did not see enough to say he is a good mid range shooter.  He is an honest 4* who will develop and get better each year. 

I would be happy to get him especially as he is type of player who would probably stay at Auburn for 3 to 4 years.

This is only me talking, but if we don't get Cliff Omoruyi, I want us to get Dylan Cardwell. He's a guy that I think fits what we want pretty well, and I think he's a long-term guy for us. I do think we'd need to bring in a GT big with Cardwell for a year to help take the load off him and Stretch, but I think Cardwell would be a great pickup for us.

• Like 1

Cliff isn't considered a 1 and done prospect is he? I see he's a 4 star but at this moment he's looked at as a 2 year guy at least, right? Doesn't mean he can't play his way into one but just wondering what the thought is on him.

I want him really badly though. Him and Stretch manning the 5 would be so fun to watch

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Cliff isn't considered a 1 and done prospect is he? I see he's a 4 star but at this moment he's looked at as a 2 year guy at least, right? Doesn't mean he can't play his way into one but just wondering what the thought is on him.

I want him really badly though. Him and Stretch manning the 5 would be so fun to watch

I think he's probably a 2 year guy, but he has the athleticism and build to come in and play immediately IMO.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, boomstick said:

To me, it depends on the big. If we land Cliff or Maker, I don't think we need a GT big. We can use Stretch and the elite HS kid and supplement with Jaylin or Moore or Franklin if we got into foul trouble. But if we take a big who needs more time (like Kai Sotto or Dylan Cardwell or someone further down our list), then I think we need to take a GT big. And I still think we need a backup PG even if we take a GT big. If Turbo isn't going to be a PG, I agree that we have to have help for Sharife.

Right now, I'd say Green, a big (maybe 2 depending on the HS kid), and a GT PG are necessities. If we need to take more than 3 guys because of a second big or Kuminga, we probably have to make room.

Ronnie Johnson was big time for us off the bench his one year at AU. I was really impressed by him and his leadership and professionalism. I hope we can get someone in that same vein. It will be so huge for next years team to have a guy like that in the rotation. Specifically at the PG position.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

21 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Ronnie Johnson was big time for us off the bench his one year at AU. I was really impressed by him and his leadership and professionalism. I hope we can get someone in that same vein. It will be so huge for next years team to have a guy like that in the rotation. Specifically at the PG position.

Same for J'Von last year. We need a guy looking for a spot and wanting to be a team guy who would understand the role we're looking to fill. I'd say they're a little harder to find because so many guys want to be the man, but I think we can find someone out there that fits that mold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, boomstick said:

Same for J'Von last year. We need a guy looking for a spot and wanting to be a team guy who would understand the role we're looking to fill. I'd say they're a little harder to find because so many guys want to be the man, but I think we can find someone out there that fits that mold.

Slightly undersized PG at a smaller school who would like to play one more year as a GT with a team like Auburn. We should be able to find that. who wouldn't want to finish his career playing for Pearl and probably play in the NCCA tourney.

7 minutes ago, Samau said:

What about Greg Brown? Is he still a possibility?

I've read its unlikely and that he's a Texas lean but with Shaka Smart likely to be fired after this season I wonder if he's exploring other options. Greg Brown's highlights are so ridiculous I'm pretty sure Auburn Arena would collapse on itself after one of his dunks. Absolutely filthy the kid is looking to embarrass anyone that jumps with him lol I love it

Edited by Tiger
  • Haha 1

I don't know what we have one way or the other at center, and with that being the case, I'd love one high end center and one that fits the Bruce "project" guy. I feel like the Asian (no racism) cat has the latter spot locked down, without it already being written. I don't think Bruce continues to go back and forth with a guy's family like that if the mutual attraction isn't there 

38 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I've read its unlikely and that he's a Texas lean but with Shaka Smart likely to be fired after this season I wonder if he's exploring other options. Greg Brown's highlights are so ridiculous I'm pretty sure Auburn Arena would collapse on itself after one of his dunks. Absolutely filthy the kid is looking to embarrass anyone that jumps with him lol I love it

Thanks for your quick response. Had not heard Shaka Smart is likely to be fired. Yes that could hurt Texas.  Also wasn’t Memphis our other main competition for Brown? With their terrible season maybe we are still in this? I already love our class but can you imagine if we were to add Green, Brown and another top big man (assuming Okoro leaves)? That would be insane!

Edited by Samau

36 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Realistically could have 3 straight top 10 guys if Green doesn't hurt himself or anything crazy his year here. He should go top 5, Okoro should go top 5, Sharife should have a floor of lottery pick in 2022

Okoro is still trending in the 10-15 range from what I've seen, and I don't know about Coop's floor being a lottery pick. He's not that long for a PG in the NBA. No doubt that the talent is there (or that Okoro is worthy of being a top 5 pick, for that matter), just playing the devil's advocate.

1 hour ago, Samau said:

Thanks for your quick response. Had not heard Shaka Smart is likely to be fired. Yes that could hurt Texas.  Also wasn’t Memphis our other main competition for Brown? With their terrible season maybe we are still in this? I already love our class but can you imagine if we were to add Green, Brown and another top big man (assuming Okoro leaves)? That would be insane!

We are probably running currently fourth for Greg Brown behind some combination of Kentucky, Memphis and Texas. Let's see if coooop crutin him at the McDonald's game can have any kind of positive effect whatsoever for us.

Edited by GwillMac6

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Realistically could have 3 straight top 10 guys if Green doesn't hurt himself or anything crazy his year here. He should go top 5, Okoro should go top 5, Sharife should have a floor of lottery pick in 2022

Jeeeeesus dude go find a tree to knock on!!!! Lol. We don't have him yet!! Don't talk in such absolutes. Bball crutin strange strange things happen. It's not over and I won't feel good till I see the official AU bball Twitter account tweet out he has signed!!! Haha

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Memphis & Kentucky are considered the favorites now.

• Thanks 1

Oh ok well Memphis just lost again tonight to Cincinnati. They are 17-7 now, having a disappointing season (even Ga beat them). Maybe this will help us?

Edited by Samau

31 minutes ago, Samau said:

Oh ok well Memphis just lost again tonight to Cincinnati. They are 17-7 now, having a disappointing season (even Ga beat them). Maybe this will help us?

Current season records don’t usually affect recruiting battles barring coaching changes. We’re just going to have to out recruit Memphis and Kentucky to land him.

28 minutes ago, Samau said:

I honestly don't think it factors in to their decisions at all. Bball crutin is a different animal than even fball. So many different things go in to it and there is a lot of politics involved. All I know Memphis is still a Nike school and they still have penny and they haven't lost hardly any big time battles recently.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I honestly don't think it factors in to their decisions at all. Bball crutin is a different animal than even fball. So many different things go in to it and there is a lot of politics involved. All I know Memphis is still a Nike school and they still have penny and they haven't lost hardly any big time battles recently.

Not to mention Mike Miller has the same NBA Pedegree and also appears to be a hell of a recruiter.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not to mention Mike Miller has the same NBA Pedegree and also appears to be a hell of a recruiter.

Yes! Vicious 1-2 combo with Penny and Mike. Plus kids love the all access ESPN plus show they got this season.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Okoro is still trending in the 10-15 range from what I've seen, and I don't know about Coop's floor being a lottery pick. He's not that long for a PG in the NBA. No doubt that the talent is there (or that Okoro is worthy of being a top 5 pick, for that matter), just playing the devil's advocate.

there's a few, posted in the last week, mocks, one posted in the okoro thread, that have him in the top 10. Ive seen 3, I think 5 and 7 around. ESPN has him as the #1 SF too. I think the year after will be the cream of the crop for wings, but for some teams that cant wait another year, and can take an offensive project, he's about as good as you can ask for. 

I think Coop's offensive skillset is good enough to be a high 2nd round even in the stacked '21 draft. I believe a whole 2 years in Bruce's system, with other elite talents around him, should get his outside shot better. I don't see many draft profile outlets talking about him one way or the other so IDK what people who have watched more raw film, not just highlights, think of his weaknesses, but to me, it just seems like he's going to need some help at becoming a viable off the dribble shooter on this level and he's probably not very good defensively. To me, it doesn't appear he is and his weight and height would also favor that sentiment. 

He's got like an inch on Harper and a smidgen of weight, but his wingspan is like 5 inches shorter and he's not as much of an athletic marvel. BUT if he can be as smart when it comes to steals and passing lanes as Jared, then we can work around it, I suppose.

• Thanks 1

5* C Maker Makur has AU in his top 2 with Oregon per his instagram if he is not able to be eligible for the NBA Draft.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2