Trump has a “go back to Africa” moment

AUDub

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the next panel should have been AOC throwing a chair across the room 

AOC - born and raised in NYC

Tliab - born and raised in Detroit

Pressley - born in Cincinnati, grew up in Chicago on the North side.

Of the four he's referring to, Omar is the only one born in another country.  She came over from Somalia when she was 9 years old.  So most everything she's ever known or been taught in schools is 100% America.

So Mr. President, what country would you suggest they go to in order to "fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came from"?  

And the worst politicos are the ones that just assume their positions are valid without reading, discussing, or any involvement of others.  There is obviously two sides to every single issue. But instead of considering the viewpoints and facts of others they just fall mindlessly into the “everyone that doesn’t think like me must be evil” fallacy. Just because someone doesn’t agree with you, that doesn’t mean that they are evil or that their opinions are evil just that they come from a different place or point of view. 

Addendum:

DJT is just icky to deal with at times. He thinks of himself as a Patriot and apparently so do many of his supporters. They vilify their opponents. They make them look bad to the base. His opponents are just those with differing points of view, they are not evil. 

Sometimes contrarians are needed in the debate, like now. For years/decades we ODed on "Murica!" I am a patriot but I am ready to look back in a very very honest and in depth review of America. It's time to look back, re-examining what has gone on. We have been at war in Afghanistan, a god forsaken hell hole, for 18 years now. We will have spent about $5TN on the two Wars. That doesnt include Syria and ISIS. We have killed possibly 100Ks of collateral kills of civilians. We have pissed off the Middle East again. We have done the same idiotic mistakes that Carter made and doubled down on them. Bush Bombed, Obama Droned,  and Trump is too wishy washy to rely on. 

We need to back off and take a LLLOOONNNGG self assessment and make changes. We cannot be at war for the rest of our existence. Picking fights with Russia and in the ME is a loser's game. They love and live war for decades at a time.... We do not. For all of our Imperialism, we do not glorify forever war. We need to sit back and find a new way that agrees with our past and our future. We cannot be the world's policeman. 

If you want to be the world's police, then load up the bags and lets get to Venezuela, Guatemala, and Central America and end the refugee crisis. Lets examine investing on the Monroe Doctrine again. 

But first, lets stop declaring everything our opponents say is evil. Lets just have a good, honest, frank, discussion about where we are and where we need to be. 

5 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

She came over from Somalia when she was 9 years old.  So most everything she's ever known or been taught in schools is 100% America.

And yet she somehow has a soft-spot for terrorists.  What exactly was she being taught in American schools? Or what was she taught in her home, by her I'm sure 100% America supporting parents? 

47 minutes ago, metafour said:

And yet she somehow has a soft-spot for terrorists.  What exactly was she being taught in American schools? Or what was she taught in her home, by her I'm sure 100% America supporting parents? 

tfw every negative opinion you have of a poster is entirely validated. 

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Do you know that her parents fled Somalia's civil war for a better opportunity here?  I'd venture to guess they quite love this country, especially since she's on record as saying much her father and grandfather stressed the importance of democracy.

And what was she taught in school?  I don't know.  You'd have to check with such liberal bastions as the Minneapolis school system and North Dakota State University for that.  

Finally, there's nothing out there to suggest she has a soft spot for terrorists.  If you're referring to her "some people did something" line, then please use the context of the speech, which was one given to fellow U.S. Muslims and how they were (rightfully) afraid of losing civil liberties because of American backlash towards the U.S. Muslim community that had no part in the 9/11 attacks.

2 hours ago, metafour said:

29 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Do you know that her parents fled Somalia's civil war for a better opportunity here?  I'd venture to guess they quite love this country, especially since she's on record as saying much her father and grandfather stressed the importance of democracy.

And what was she taught in school?  I don't know.  You'd have to check with such liberal bastions as the Minneapolis school system and North Dakota State University for that.  

Finally, there's nothing out there to suggest she has a soft spot for terrorists.  If you're referring to her "some people did something" line, then please use the context of the speech, which was one given to fellow U.S. Muslims and how they were (rightfully) afraid of losing civil liberties because of American backlash towards the U.S. Muslim community that had no part in the 9/11 attacks.

touche'

Again, just because she doesnt have the same views doesnt mean that she is evil nor that her views are evil.

Trump calls on minority congresswomen to apologize after he said they should ‘go back’ to their countries

President Trump on Monday called on a group of minority, liberal congresswomen to “apologize” to the United States, Israel and him and accused them of “racist hatred” a day after he said in inflammatory tweets that they should “go back” to their countries.

“When will the Radical Left Congresswomen apologize to our Country, the people of Israel and even to the Office of the President, for the foul language they have used, and the terrible things they have said,” Trump said in new tweets Monday. “So many people are angry at them & their horrible & disgusting actions!”

He later criticized Democrats for coming to defense of the congresswomen, whom he claimed had showed “racist hatred” in their speech and are “very unpopular & unrepresentative.”

With his latest tweets, Trump dug in further on a line of attack that has drawn widespread condemnation from Democrats, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who on Sunday called the president’s comments “xenophobic.” Republicans have remained largely silent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-calls-on-minority-congresswomen-to-apologize-after-he-said-they-should-go-back-to-their-countries/2019/07/15/897f1dd0-a6ef-11e9-a3a6-ab670962db05_story.html?utm_term=.eb6705863ec4

15 hours ago, metafour said:

"Soft spot for terrorists"  ?

What BS. :bs:

You are exactly the sort of MAGA Trump was pandering to.  What an embarrassing period for the United States.  It's as if we haven't learned a thing. :no:  Or at least some of us.

Racism is really hard-wired into the country.

15 hours ago, metafour said:

you mean she loves pootin and kim jong un?

29 minutes ago, homersapien said:

"Soft spot for terrorists"  ?

What BS. :bs:

You are exactly the sort of MAGA Trump was pandering to.  What an embarrassing period for the United States.  It's as if we haven't learned a thing. :no:  Or at least some of us.

Racism is really hard-wired into the country.

I believe metafour was referring to her letter to a judge pleading for lighter sentences for nine *terrorists* convicted of joining ISIS back in 2016.

https://theminnesotasun.com/2019/01/27/flashback-ilhan-omar-asked-judge-for-lighter-sentences-for-nine-minnesota-men-plotting-to-join-isis/

If you look for racism in everything, you will find it.

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I believe metafour was referring to her letter to a judge pleading for lighter sentences for nine *terrorists* convicted of joining ISIS back in 2016.

https://theminnesotasun.com/2019/01/27/flashback-ilhan-omar-asked-judge-for-lighter-sentences-for-nine-minnesota-men-plotting-to-join-isis/

If you look for racism in everything, you will find it.

Telling Latin American or African Americans to go back to their "own" countries is racist, no matter how you cut it.

8 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Telling Latin American or African Americans to go back to their "own" countries is racist, no matter how you cut it.

I wasn’t addressing Trump’s tweets in my response to you.  He does tweet and say some ill advised things.  Some things (not what Trumps says) are blatant, others not so much.  Who knew the “Betsy Ross” flag was racist for example?

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

I wasn’t addressing Trump’s tweets in my response to you.  He does tweet and say some ill advised things.  Some things (not what Trumps says) are blatant, others not so much.  Who knew the “Betsy Ross” flag was racist for example?

I was just pointing out there's "looking for racism" as you put it, perhaps as represented by the Betsy Ross flag,  but there is also flat out, blatant racism as exhibited by our president.

(I never thought I would ever be able to say the latter.)

• TitanTiger changed the title to Trump has a “go back to Africa” moment
22 minutes ago, AUDub said:

A good read

This was especially good:

Let’s also deal with the idea that the one actual immigrant Trump targeted owes a special debt of gratitude to the country and therefore temper her critiques of American politics and culture. I believe Ilhan Omar is a toxic presence in American politics. Her critiques are deeply misguided. But she should temper her critiques because they’re wrong, not because she’s an immigrant.

I'm amazed at how 1) blind or 2) indifferent to the racist connotations of Trump's tweets so many Republicans are.  There's no way around it in a fair reading of what he said.  This is similar to the Tucker Carlson thread in that there's ample grounds on which to clap back at Omar and others that have to do with the things they actually say and the arguments they actually make, but Trump, Carlson and others would rather misrepresent their statements and then imply that somehow they aren't worthy of consideration because they are not real Americans, they are the scary "other", etc.  Grow the **** up.

Just an opinion:

Trump should stay off Twitter.  (I know that is shocking :blink:) His eloquence lacking. Could be wrong, but I expect he could go down as the absolute worst presidential orator of our time. IMO, that would be correct. Definitely gets my vote. Again, needs to STFU or at least have his commentary vetted. I don't expect that to happen.

Roughly half of Americans desire an America with legal white, brown, red, green, purple people.

The other half not concerned with legality. A huge shift in just a couple years. 

That Trump favors a legal path is not a new phenomenon, even among former presidents. I do not believe Trump nor the aforementioned presidents were racists. 

Our current immigration system needs a major overhaul. If we are honest, it should not be complicated, but requires bi-partisan action. Fix it and this debate is over.

9 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Just an opinion:

Trump should stay off Twitter.  (I know that is shocking :blink:) His eloquence lacking. Could be wrong, but I expect he could go down as the absolute worst presidential orator of our time. IMO, that would be correct. Definitely gets my vote. Again, needs to STFU or at least have his commentary vetted. I don't expect that to happen.

Roughly half of Americans desire an America with legal white, brown, red, green, purple people.

The other half not concerned with legality. A huge shift in just a couple years. 

That Trump favors a legal path is not a new phenomenon, even among former presidents. I do not believe Trump nor the aforementioned presidents were racists. 

Our current immigration system needs a major overhaul. If we are honest, it should not be complicated, but requires bi-partisan action. Fix it and this debate is over.

Well it’s hard for the debate to be “ over” when he is calling Americans immigrants and suggesting they return to their “ own “ countries. 

Other than that I agree with your post. Political parties are not helping our country. 

25 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Just an opinion:

The immigration system does need an overhaul. I agree with you on that. I don’t think we would agree with each other on what that needs to be. But that’s another debate.

I don’t agree with you on the racist part. Trump seems to be a pretty big racist. He’s not a racist in the “I won’t talk to black and Hispanic people” sort of way. But he obviously doesn’t think that those people have just as much of a claim to our country as white people do. For him to think that all of those women have a “country to go back to” proves it. He thinks of people of color as invaders and not truly American. I can’t say that any president in the modern era seemed to have those views. But he’s def not the only person in America who thinks like that. I’d say about 38-42% of the country thinks exactly like he does.

18 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The immigration system does need an overhaul. I agree with you on that. I don’t think we would agree with each other on what that needs to be. But that’s another debate.

I don’t agree with you on the racist part. Trump seems to be a pretty big racist. He’s not a racist in the “I won’t talk to black and Hispanic people” sort of way. But he obviously doesn’t think that those people have just as much of a claim to our country as white people do. For him to think that all of those women have a “country to go back to” proves it. He thinks of people of color as invaders and not truly American. I can’t say that any president in the modern era seemed to have those views. But he’s def not the only person in America who thinks like that. I’d say about 38-42% of the country thinks exactly like he does.

Point one: There is a legal path.Take it and I seriously doubt we have the issues we have today. I suspect he'd be silent on that front if this were the case, but agree that might be a leap given his verbal ineptness. I certainly hope he would and hope we agree.

Point two: Appears to me Trump is simply asking they do it legally. Now, I have to read between the lines due to his oratory ineptness, but i believe this is his point. When he talks about a country to go back to, he is speaking to an ideology. He is speaking against open boarders. I could be wrong. I did not sign up to be his interpreter, I simply made an attempt. And yet, I could be wrong. He's not like my best bud I can ask. 

Cops are racist, BP officers are racist, all evangelicals are racists, Pelosi is racist, Biden is racist, Trump is racist, Ohmar is racist.... did I miss anyone? I’m sick of the way people throw this term around like everything anyone says is construed as racist! Ridiculous!

The OP is a great example of making things say something that was never said. He didn’t say go back to your country, and he meant go back to your district and fix that and then come back to congress and tell us how to fix the US.

Archived