Golfers

I have played 4-5 rounds this spring. Not great but not bad. My best was a 77 at Burning Tree in Decatur a month ago.  Been focused more on fishing this year because of my son. His team finished number 2 in the state Saturday. I’m fighting tennis elbow and injections are not helping anymore. 

• Like 1

I played recently and had the damndest round ever.

Shot a putrid 48 on the front.

Went 3 under 33 on the back. (4 birds, 1 bogey). Almost had a 31.  Missed two other birdies putts by burning the edge.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Went 3 under 33 on the back. (4 birds, 1 bogey). Almost had a 31.  Missed two other birdies putts by burning the edge.

Weird never in my life had that big of disparity from front nine to back. Damn 15 strokes difference.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Should have started drinking on the front nine.

Think I have played one hole of golf in my life. Have three sons that I brought up playing baseball. All are avid golfers now and ask why I didn't have them on the course versus the field. Looking back they have friends that opted golf over baseball around the junior high age. One went on to Georgia and another to Mississippi State with golf scholarships. Seems quite a few continued golf at the college level in various places.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Bunkum!

On 6/30/2020 at 8:11 PM, Brad_ATX said:

My 77 at Burning Tree was 43-34

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, alexava said:

My 77 at Burning Tree was 43-34

The only thing I've ever had come close to this was when I played Chambers Bay.

Went 51-42, but considering that's a U.S. Open course and it was raining most of the round, I wasn't too upset.  The ground was especially tough to get used to since it's very hard pan and lots of thin lies.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m back. The tennis elbow is much better but my lower back has kept me down for several weeks. Not a pain but a stiffness that concerned me so much I was afraid to push it. I’ve played two nine hole rounds the first was ugly as expected the next was a 37. Since then we have been to the range three times and I’m working on some mechanical stuff that is working very well on the range. I’m excited about it. I’ll share details later. 

3 hours ago, alexava said:

I’m back. The tennis elbow is much better but my lower back has kept me down for several weeks. Not a pain but a stiffness that concerned me so much I was afraid to push it. I’ve played two nine hole rounds the first was ugly as expected the next was a 37. Since then we have been to the range three times and I’m working on some mechanical stuff that is working very well on the range. I’m excited about it. I’ll share details later. 

Good luck with all the golf I have played, since I was 12 years old when I started, I only had back problems one time. Amazing I haven't had more

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Good luck with all the golf I have played, since I was 12 years old when I started, I only had back problems one time. Amazing I haven't had more

I’ve never had lower back trouble till this. I’ve had upper back/ neck. Chiropractor x rayed and worked that out about 15 years ago. Golf didn’t cause any of my ailments. I just worried that I would worsen it if I played. I’m good now I think. 

• Like 1

My changes are actually two. On my irons I’m setting up with my hands in front of the ball and the ball back in the stance. I used to play like this years ago and played very consistently but then I also had a strong grip. I have a neutral grip now but for years I have released the club early and can’t stop doing this. I changed a long time ago to get more hight on the irons. It was not a good change. So basically I’m tricking myself to not release the wrists too soon so I keep my bottom of my arc more consistent. Driver next I’ll explain but I am KILLING IT. 

• Like 1

I played 9 Saturday after work. My swing changes are going to take some time to get normalized. It’s probably not possible to get out of the car and step on the tee( like I normally do) and use a different swing than you have for ten years. But boy it works fine at the range with a pitcher of beer. So the 9 holes was a 38 with four putts made in the 8-12 foot range. Meaning I didn’t hit anything well. 

• Like 1

Have any of you all done much with stay and play packages? I went with a buddy to a place called Baneberry up near Knoxville Tennessee back in 2014 and it was a really good deal. It seemed like it was just over 100 bucks a piece for unlimited golf over the weekend. Beautiful area, fun course. Kinda in the middle of nowhere and it was like a 20 or 30 minute ride into Knoxville. Kinda thought about doing that again....Then my mind started wandering to ideas like Florida, then finally started to consider places like Scottsdale or Tucson AZ. ....To play Golf in Arizona is definitely a golf bucket-lister for me!...Anyways, looking around the web, seems like theres a ton of different sites with package deals. Alot of them seem to want your phone number and email to quote prices, and Im not so keen on giving that info out. Anyone know of a good trustworthy site to kinda browse around some package deals like that? 

1 hour ago, SaturdayGT said:

Have any of you all done much with stay and play packages? I went with a buddy to a place called Baneberry up near Knoxville Tennessee back in 2014 and it was a really good deal. It seemed like it was just over 100 bucks a piece for unlimited golf over the weekend. Beautiful area, fun course. Kinda in the middle of nowhere and it was like a 20 or 30 minute ride into Knoxville. Kinda thought about doing that again....Then my mind started wandering to ideas like Florida, then finally started to consider places like Scottsdale or Tucson AZ. ....To play Golf in Arizona is definitely a golf bucket-lister for me!...Anyways, looking around the web, seems like theres a ton of different sites with package deals. Alot of them seem to want your phone number and email to quote prices, and Im not so keen on giving that info out. Anyone know of a good trustworthy site to kinda browse around some package deals like that? 

I use to go on a lot of golf packages but most of mine were paid for by companies plus I haven't been able to play in 10 years. So I'm not going to be much help. Do you know a local golf pro they could recommend a site. As for Arizona I've played a number of courses in the Tucson and Scottsdale. As for Fl there are a ton of packages in the Orlando market, Grand Cypress, Disney, ChampionsGate, and Marriott courses on and on they all have golf packages. If your thinking south Fl or SW Fl. let me know

• Like 1

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Lucky for me that hasn't happen come close a few times.

I’ve been a little late for tee times.  I would hate to have to touch the flagstick behind this group. 

• Haha 1

Just now, augolf1716 said:

One day I will tell the story about Payne Stewart at the Masters and having a close encounter with the poopie man

I’ll hold you to that 

• 2 months later...

A little story 

Some of you may know that I was a huge huge fan of Ben Hogan. Always has been my #1 golfer so I always tried to immulate his swing as well as some of his mannerisms. I had tried for 30 years, before his death, to get his autograph. Well I was out in Palm Springs at my company meeting and also to play in a weekend golf tourney. One nite at the Marriott bar I met a business partner of Bens. After many drinks he said he would try and get Ben to sign one of his books and send it to me. Well the dummy had to go and die on me about 3 weeks after we met. I do have an original of this magazine as well as all his books

For Sale - Life Magazine August 8, 1955 - Ben Hogan | 2Neat Magazines

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

A little story 

Some of you may know that I was a huge huge fan of Ben Hogan. Always has been my #1 golfer so I always tried to immulate his swing as well as some of his mannerisms. I had tried for 30 years, before his death, to get his autograph. Well I was out in Palm Springs at my company meeting and also to play in a weekend golf tourney. One nite at the Marriott bar I met a business partner of Bens. After many drinks he said he would try and get Ben to sign one of his books and send it to me. Well the dummy had to go and die on me about 3 weeks after we met. I do have an original of this magazine as well as all his books

For Sale - Life Magazine August 8, 1955 - Ben Hogan | 2Neat Magazines

Great story, thanks for the post.  So, are you saying that dummy couldn’t handle all those PBRs?  You have to take some responsibility here.

• Like 1

Golf hasn’t been good for me this year. I’ve played about as much as last year. Just never had any consistency. I shot a couple of 35s. But mostly 38- 39 even some 40+. Alex is getting better. He’s going on several mid 40s and one 39. His tee shots improved a lot. Mine are going the wrong way. I think I find something in my swing and it feels good in the yard then the course... I can’t find it. I just don’t have time I need to get a lot better. I will still try. I don’t play as much in cold weather. This monster I am creating in my son wants to play every day.  So I’ve done something right. 

• 2 weeks later...