AU vs OU Score Prediction

augolf1716

Just now, triangletiger said:

I love the quote.  I guess we'll see how it plays out...

Yep, right now it is mostly coach speak aside from the changes in the Bowl game last year and naming a TF as your Starting QB. I don't expect us to be lights out at first because it takes a few games to find a rhythm but I hope as the season goes on that Gus is able to throw in wrinkles now and then that make the other team go back on their heels.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my objective prediction, I had this as one of three losses for us. However, they will be missing their top 3 receivers and their TE is "limited" which of course probably means he will play almost no snaps against us. They won't be able to run the ball against our DL, and now they have no one to throw it to. I think we win this one soundly because I don't think they will be able to score against us much. That said, I still have questions about our offense, and this is the first game for Bo Nix. I expect him to make some errors, and I expect the offense to sputter at times against their D. 

We score 10 points in the 4th quarter to put it away. They get one TD off of a turnover, but don't sustain any long drives against us.

20-10 Good Guys

I'm just not convinced that Oregon is going to pile up points against this defense, nor am I convinced that they have a defense we should be scared of.  Some key defensive stats from last year for Oregon:

Scoring D - 48th in the country, 25.4 points per game
Pass D - 82nd, 241.6 yds per game
Rush D - 43rd, 144.3 yds per game
Total D - 55th, 385.9 yds per game
Opponent 3rd down conversions - 46th, 37.1% converted
Opponent plays of 20 yds or more - 82nd, 26 plays
Opponent plays of 30 yds or more - 61st, 14 plays

It might take a possession or two to get in the groove, but I think eventually we will.

Auburn 34-17

6 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm just not convinced that Oregon is going to pile up points against this defense, nor am I convinced that they have a defense we should be scared of.  Some key defensive stats from last year for Oregon:

Scoring D - 48th in the country, 25.4 points per game
Pass D - 82nd, 241.6 yds per game
Rush D - 43rd, 144.3 yds per game
Total D - 55th, 385.9 yds per game
Opponent 3rd down conversions - 46th, 37.1% converted
Opponent plays of 20 yds or more - 82nd, 26 plays
Opponent plays of 30 yds or more - 61st, 14 plays

It might take a possession or two to get in the groove, but I think eventually we will.

Auburn 34-17

Auburn total offense #67 ... #79 3rd down conversion offense.

21 hours ago, triangletiger said:

I love the quote.  I guess we'll see how it plays out...

Like I have mentioned in an earlier thread, Gus is still learning the ropes of being a head coach but I don't know of another coach that has had his success in such a short time of being a head coach. It sure isn't saban. and Gus doesn't have the help that saban has (REC). JMO

WDE!!

12 hours ago, japantiger said:

Auburn total offense #67 ... #79 3rd down Conversion offense.

True.  But Auburn has a track record of down years followed by good ones once key positions gain experience and/or depth.  I feel like our OL should be better this year (they were trending better by the end of the year) and there is much better depth at RB as well.  Add the fact that I think much of the problem last year was the strategic confusion of Gus and Chip that won't be there with Gus taking it back over, and I feel like it's far more likely that Auburn will be significantly better on offense than Oregon will finally field a decent defense.

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I feel like our OL should be better this year (they were trending better by the end of the year)

They were, buy they started out so pathetic I'm not sure they even ended as what I would consider average.

Instead of ebola we contract Dengue...better but both will kill you.

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

They were, buy they started out so pathetic I'm not sure they even ended as what I would consider average.

True.  The jury is definitely still out.  But part of me just feels like the experience factor combined with a more cohesive offensive philosophy this year will bring their level of play up significantly.

On 8/27/2019 at 8:31 AM, leglessdan said:

Or maybe...the kid is just THAT good? We are about to find out. Not defending Gus, but in case you haven't noticed lots of teams have incoming players take over existing spots. Don't let your disgust for Gus to throw these kids in front of a bus. No pun intended. 

Agree. I am not stating this is the case, but I disagree with the premise that because we are starting a TFr QB that it has anything to do with QB development. I would say more to do with recruiting and evals. 

37 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

True.  The jury is definitely still out.  But part of me just feels like the experience factor combined with a more cohesive offensive philosophy this year will bring their level of play up significantly.

Any word regarding the O-line philosophy/scheme this year?

In another post/thread, someone stated that Lindsey had a different blocking philosophy than the Tigers were running previously.  "Zone" vs "Gap" (?) or something like that... AKA passive instead of aggressive was the bottom line, and that was a huge part of the problem IMO.

Do we know if they've changed back, if that were the case?  I know the O-line was never THAT much of a sore spot until last year.  I get that perhaps the Jimmy's & Joe's may have been part of the problem but I still feel like the passive scheme was a huge problem.

AU 22

Oregon 19

On the last drive, Boobie falls on a defender, everyone stops, then Boobie runs another 37 yards, setting up Carlson for the walk-off game-winner. 

On 8/25/2019 at 8:07 PM, dyehardfanAU said:

AU 24

UO 17

Ditto. 

Joey scores once on the Wildcat. 

Boobie scores twice on the Wildcat. 

On 8/27/2019 at 11:42 AM, AUSwim said:

Auburn 34

Oregon 17

I would poop a brick if we won by such a comfortable margin.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I would poop a brick if we won by such a comfortable margin.

No margin is comfortable in Auburn sports (I.e. AU vs NC super regional)

15 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

True.  But Auburn has a track record of down years followed by good ones once key positions gain experience and/or depth.  I feel like our OL should be better this year (they were trending better by the end of the year) and there is much better depth at RB as well.  Add the fact that I think much of the problem last year was the strategic confusion of Gus and Chip that won't be there with Gus taking it back over, and I feel like it's far more likely that Auburn will be significantly better on offense than Oregon will finally field a decent defense.

Could be ... what do you use to indicate improvement by the end of the year?  3 of our last 5 games were TAMU, GA and AL ... Oline didn't take the field in those games; I think we rushed for less than 250 yards combined in those 3 games (19 yds against TAMU)...Liberty and the Bowl Game were the other two weren't they?   

I'll be at the game; but am not optimistic.  

I believe we'll own the trenches on both sides of the ball. Justin Herbert will get his yards between the 20's, but I think Oregon will have a hard time scoring. We should be able to over power them.

35-13 AU

Archived