Tulane Post Game Thread

Auctoritas

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again, Gus trots out specific personnel for a specific play. Joiner comes in only for the wheel route, we never look at another receiver on the pattern  and he heads back to the sidelines. Apparently he doesn't believe other teams watch film. 

If an opposing D (and it looks like they are consistently) is guessing run between the tackles on first down, then we oblige by doing it about 8 out of 10 times...at least until we have several series in the books with no success. 

Also, immediately after a first down, normally the next play is also a run between the tackles with the same player, even if that player just ran 40 yards down field. (last night again with Whitlow). Also, keyed on by the D and typically results in little gain or loss on the play. 

Just frustrating watching our continually predictable, lackluster offense year in and year out.  If Malzahn didn't have Steele and that D on the other side, this might be a 3-9 type season, and this is his 7th year in?  Not acceptable.

19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm not mad at the play calls disappointed, but not mad. This year I'm actually on the execution side of the debate. A lot of the plays would have worked behind a competent line. The player utilization is still bad, but every struggle can be linked to the bad play of the OL. 

QB is a freshman ...and speed of the game is still an issue...and not sure what decisions he is supposed to make based on what he sees but lack of experience by the QB affects his ability to over-come some of the mistakes made by the WRs, RBs and OL. 

And why is it that Hastings is the only WR who seems able to get open?  

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Touché, agreed.  

However in this case I was referring to the o-line

I'd sit both guards and center. I'd put in the young guys in and tell them to grow up. If we had any tackles, I'd sit Driscoll too.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I'd sit both guards and center. I'd put in the young guys in and tell them to grow up. If we had any tackles, I'd sit Driscoll too.

Not a bad idea. 

10 hours ago, DAG said:

I just think Gus does not have the progression to be a HEAD COACH. Granted the line isn’t great, but that also falls at his feet. I always support the boys and they play so hard, but I am at a point that I can’t stand see us like this. 

FIFY

At least we aren't  FSU. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

QB is a freshman ...and speed of the game is still an issue...and not sure what decisions he is supposed to make based on what he sees but lack of experience by the QB affects his ability to over-come some of the mistakes made by the WRs, RBs and OL. 

BS! That's absolutely ridiculous

So if you're going with the lack of experience thing, please explain the inability to positively affect the game by the OL. 105 starts. 0 push, 0 holes, and 0 attitude.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yeah, this is kind of strange actually. Kid always creates separation, and is an easy target. Whenever we throw to someone else, it's a tight window with a defensive back all over him. 

Stop being an apologist for Gus lol. For crying out loud folks, the deficiencies are obvious and are a direct extension of the man in charge. 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The middle of our OL is worse than bad.  Seniors no doubt.. wait until they have to block SEC DLs ... 

Just now, Cardin Drake said:

Yeah, this is kind of strange actually. Kid always creates separation, and is an easy target. Whenever we throw to someone else, it's a tight window with a defensive back all over him. 

McClain was open several times last night. He is apparently invisible to Gus and all of the QB's.

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

He is a freshman we can all agree and we can all agree he will make mistakes.. but please don't downplay the OL and their absolute inability to block. That has nothing to do with Nix, or the WRs or the RBs

3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

McClain was open several times last night. He is apparently invisible to Gus and all of the QB's.

And had a beautiful seal block to allow Boobee to score on his Wildcat buck sweep.

Just now, AuMarine said:

He is a freshman we can all agree and we can all agree he will make mistakes.. but please don't downplay the OL and their absolute inability to block. That has nothing to do with Nix, or the WRs 

It all goes together I admit....but he's not the only QB to have a leaky OL....and he just has to learn to deal with it.   

AU's defense makes most opponent OLs look pretty bad too....and their QBs have to deal with it.     Just part of the job. 

35 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm not mad at the play calls disappointed, but not mad. This year I'm actually on the execution side of the debate. A lot of the plays would have worked behind a competent line. The player utilization is still bad, but every struggle can be linked to the bad play of the OL. 

Amen. I’m not a coach and have no particular expertise about football. But our o-line is passive. I don’t like to call out individual players, but one guard in particular can go 2-3 plays at a time without engaging a defender. My definition of engage is not to shield in an upright posture or touch with hands, but to drive into them with full force and in a leveraged body position. Either our coach teaches that, or he accepts it because the lineup doesn’t change because of it. Bo is the latest proof that we can bring in the nation’s highest rated skill players, but until we get an o-line coach and players who believe in aggression nothing will change. What is unbelievable is that we have coaches who can’t see it on film and adjust accordingly. 

I mentioned in the game thread, but the most impressive play last night was Derrick Brown busting through the line and forcing the reverse by the RB, only to be the man that made the tackle 20 yards downfield.  That will definitely be on every NFL scout video.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

It all goes together I admit....but he's not the only QB to have a leaky OL....and he just has to learn to deal with it.   

AU's defense makes most opponent OLs look pretty bad too....and their QBs have to deal with it.     Just part of the job. 

I didn’t see that last night.   What I saw was an opposing QB that couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat.   They had guys wide open and we generally had no pressure.   

What I saw was a High School offense trying to play Division 1 football.   It’s the same thing I’ve watched for 10 years, mixed in with a couple outstanding college QB’s running it.   

Im at a loss as to why he doesn’t see it and people that are around him.   More so in the people that pay him.   

I just want to be able to enjoy most of the games again.  It's more the opposite.  We have a good play here or a good series.  Thank God we have a fantastic defense.  Even though, the offense never provides a cushion to fully enjoy the defense ripping a head off. 

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Your opinion and I respect that.. but go back and watch a couple of plays from last night specifically early in the game when we had several 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 situations where our interior got manhandled by Tulane's dl.. as a matter of fact they were destroyed by that DL. Then maybe revisit the word leaky.. 

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I agree that a QB has to deal with O line breakdowns, but his veteran SEC coach should have schemes to neutralize those disruptions. That didn’t happen last night. 

10 hours ago, gr82be said:

They use the middle of the field. 

They also pass the ball beyond the line of the scrimmage. 

10 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

You can just buy Gus Malzahn's playbook for dummies at Barnes n Nobles in the 75% off bin.

Problem is... he wrote that book...

10 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Your opinion and I respect that.. but go back and watch a couple of plays from last night specifically early in the game when we had several 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 situations where our interior got manhandled by Tulane's dl.. as a matter of fact they were destroyed by that DL. Then maybe revisit the word leaky.. 

We had a  second and 2, third and 2, fourth and 2 #28 fumbles. Exact same play all 3 downs in succession.. 

Archived