Why are we so divided?

tbone4jc

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I swear if Dabo never had that post-game moment after beating us in 2011 people would be drooling all over him for what he's done. He's stopped Bama from winning more championships and does it in every single way most AU fans who hang on to the creed and family/religious aspect of things like to see things being done.

I can overlook 2011 in this context. Here's to every coach finding his groove and consistently grooving. 

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tiger said:

I swear if Dabo never had that post-game moment after beating us in 2011 people would be drooling all over him for what he's done. He's stopped Bama from winning more championships and does it in every single way most AU fans who hang on to the creed and family/religious aspect of things like to see things being done.

I don't think what he said was all that bad if I remember....Wasn't it along the lines of " Best place to end a winning streak right here in Death Valley"? I know Gus personally has said worse "We Whipped the Dog Crap out of em didn't we". I actually like Dabo. A lot actually. I think he is a more charismatic version of Gus, or Gus with Personality. He is a good man. He seems to run a good clean program. His players and recruits love him. I really dislike Saban. I really dislike Kirby and Jimbo. I honestly like Dabo. 

4 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I don't think what he said was all that bad if I remember....Wasn't it along the lines of " Best place to end a winning streak right here in Death Valley"? I know Gus personally has said worse "We Whipped the Dog Crap out of em didn't we". I actually like Dabo. A lot actually. I think he is a more charismatic version of Gus, or Gus with Personality. He is a good man. He seems to run a good clean program. His players and recruits love him. I really dislike Saban. I really dislike Kirby and Jimbo. I honestly like Dabo. 

Can't wait for the responses to this. (I like Dabo, too). 

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Bring them on. I honestly don't care what anyone else thinks. I think he is a hell of a good coach and I wouldn't mind my kid playing for him that is for sure.

5 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Bring them on. I honestly don't care what anyone else thinks. I think he is a hell of a good coach and I wouldn't mind my kid playing for him that is for sure.

He made reference to being a bama guy after he beat us. 

Auburn fans can be the 2nd whiniest bunch on the planet after uga fans sometimes. 

7 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Yeah but you don't know all the terrible things that he and the Bama machine (of which is he is a part) are capable of? Conspiracies of the highest order, corruption, possibly even murder. Just google it. It's all there. I know firsthand. What do I know, you ask? Can't tell you. I won't do your research for you. Plus, it's far too dangerous. "They" might find out. Besides, just google it! 

14 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah but you don't know all the terrible things that he and the Bama machine (of which is he is a part) are capable of? Conspiracies of the highest order, corruption, possibly even murder. Just google it. It's all there. I know firsthand. What do I know, you ask? Can't tell you. I won't do your research for you. Plus, it's far too dangerous. "They" might find out. Besides, just google it! 

Burn the hard drive, then drill a hole in it, then throw it in the Tennessee River

49 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

it's too late. You are compromised. Get out of there, NOW!

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

At which school? He would have had (past tense because he's single-handedly made Clemson- Clemson- the hottest destination in the country) a much easier time recruiting players to LSU, TAMU or probably even Auburn. So yeah, the same guy who embarrassed Gus two years in a row at Clemson would probably embarrass Gus most years coaching at one of the better SEC West schools. And yeah, he could have been Hugh Freeze or Dan Mullen at the Mississippi schools and leveraged himself into a premiere gig as Mullen has.

In year 6, Dabo won 10 games. It was his 4th consecutive season winning 10 or more games (11 twice). He was 4-2 in bowl games. In year 7, he appeared in the national title game. Since then, he's won it twice against the greatest coach and dynasty in history and appeared in the playoffs in the other year. 

Gus went 18-9 with Jarrett Stidham in years 5 and 6. He went 1-1 in bowls and 1-2 in the postseason. He blew a 3 score lead to LSU, lost to Tennessee, and put up 117 yards of total offense against- wait for it- Dabo Swinney. 

I won't deprive you of your optimism about Gus but he is not even remotely in the same league as Dabo at this stage in their respective careers. 

Again, was still losing in big games in that time frame. Again, he did not get over the hump until Deshean Warson came on the seen. In the ACC it's easy to win a lot of games. Why do you think Florida St and Miami chose that conference over the SEC. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

I don’t dislike the guy, but he has too much Bama in him for me to like him.   I’m indifferent about the guy.   The only reason I cheer for Clemson is because they are playing Bama.   

34 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Again, was still losing in big games in that time frame. Again, he did not get over the hump until Deshean Warson came on the seen. In the ACC it's easy to win a lot of games. Why do you think Florida St and Miami chose that conference over the SEC. 

What hump are you talking about? He went 11-2 in the two years preceding Deshaun Watson, going 7-1 in conference and winning the Chick-fil-A against LSU and the Orange Bowl against Ohio State. He beat Auburn and Georgia. Clemson finished as a top 10 team in both of those years. If winning the national championship game is "the hump", then okay. 

5 hours ago, Barnacle said:

What hump are you talking about? He went 11-2 in the two years preceding Deshaun Watson, going 7-1 in conference and winning the Chick-fil-A against LSU and the Orange Bowl against Ohio State. He beat Auburn and Georgia. Clemson finished as a top 10 team in both of those years. If winning the national championship game is "the hump", then okay. 

Lost to S. Carolina each if those years, lost to Florida St both of those years. Barely beat LSU. And they went 6-1  in conference. They lost to S. Carolina 5 years straight, their biggest rival, under Dabo. In 2011 they got drubbed 70-33 by West Virginia. Fans wanted to run Coach Dabo off because he could not win the big games as I stated before.

He won a couple games against good teams and was able to pile up wins against very weak ACC conference foes and weak( for the most part) OOC schedule. Dabo has become a great coach and a very likable person as well. I am glad to see a good guy win for a change but let's not act as if he was always loved and hasn't had the privilege of playing in a weak conference to learn on the job. But I am done on this topic 

5 hours ago, aubaseball said:

I don’t dislike the guy, but he has too much Bama in him for me to like him.   I’m indifferent about the guy.   The only reason I cheer for Clemson is because they are playing Bama.   

Agreed, he’s also exhausting in interviews. They’ll beat Alabama Polytechnic Community college and Dabo will be screaming like it’s the Super Bowl. He strikes me as a coach who might not be recruiting within the rules. 

well i guess one thing I dont like about dabooo is that anytime during an on field interview(especially after the game)  he rambles on . and on, and on, and on, and on...

he's a talker thats for sure. otherwise yeah they will be better than us for the foreseeable future. and thats pathetic. we are like the drunkle now instead of the big brother for all those years.

People are too quick to dismiss how long it takes to build a program.  People see Saban go undefeated in year 2 and assume everyone should be able to do it.  Clemson was smart in giving Dabo time to recruit and build his program and it’s paying off dividends.  Generally it takes 4-5 years to recruit,  allow those guys to mature and grow, and build meaningful depth.  I’m pro Gus but he’s going to have to prove he can take that next step the way Dabo did.  Buyout aside coaches have a shelf life and when they grow stale it’s time to change Tubs, Richt, Fulmer.  Gus is still young and he’s got a team that could be good for several years.  I’m rooting hard for this team and coach to take the next step.

Its Late for me so I’m probably not thinking straight but If Gus were to make it to the playoffs and win the natty in the next 3 years with Bo/Joey you’d have to argue he’s Auburn’s greatest coach.  2 natty appearances.  1 championships along with what he did as a coordinator.  Who would you put above him?  Big what if I realize.  

10 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Beats having to answer my question, I 

I answered but you are caught up in being right that you chose not to see. I actually live in Charlotte NC where Clemsons fanbase is similar to bammer in Birmingham . And for those"great years" you discuss sounds eerily similar to Auburn fans and their qualms about Gus. 

Division?  Divided?  I am almost 60 and I still cannot function on the internet scene.  I say what I mean and mean what I say 99% of the time. I was taught regardless of verbal or written word honesty is honesty. There is no such thing as anonymity.   

So when I meet those who play the trolling or fishing game with the idea of it is just the internet I understand fully where division comes on This and other sites.  

Like others,  I think it is a personal like or dislike of Gus and if he wins then it really does not matter. He loses and the division is seen

10 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

I answered but you are caught up in being right that you chose not to see. I actually live in Charlotte NC where Clemsons fanbase is similar to bammer in Birmingham . And for those"great years" you discuss sounds eerily similar to Auburn fans and their qualms about Gus. 

No sir, you did not, but that's okay! 

Imagine hating on Gus for the blandest interviews we've ever seen but also hating Dabo for actually talking to the media

23 hours ago, Barnacle said:

What hump are you talking about? 

This was the answer I gave.

17 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

Lost to S. Carolina each if those years, lost to Florida St both of those years. Barely beat LSU. And they went 6-1  in conference. They lost to S. Carolina 5 years straight, their biggest rival, under Dabo. In 2011 they got drubbed 70-33 by West Virginia. Fans wanted to run Coach Dabo off because he could not win the big games as I stated before.

Again 

6 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

Your perspective living where you do really catches my attention. You're right, and it's the same for church planting and growing a business...no one writes the best-sellers until after the fact. You don't see the tears, doubt, sweat, and grind from the acorn to the oak. You don't even hear about the ones that labored so faithfully but don't make it. Honest question and absolutely no shade ... was it ever generally thought, assumed, perceived that Dabo seemed to have difficulty tweaking his plan, learning from errors, trusting his staff, etc.? Because if the inexplicable rollercoaster results we see as Auburn fans were to cease even in the most miniscule of steady yearly improvements, so much criticism would dry up. Honest question, and valuing your perspective as an on-the-ground Tiger. Thanks, tbone4jc! 🙂

24 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

This was the answer I gave.

Not really an answer to my question. 

First, 2011 has nothing to do with 2012 or 2013. 

You said he did not get over the hump until Deshaun Watson arrived in 2014. I cited the 12' and 13' seasons as evidence of very good to great seasons. There's not a reasonable Clemson fan alive who wanted to get rid of Dabo after those two seasons.

In 2012 FSU was a top 5 team. In 2013 they were a top 5 team and the eventual undefeated national champions. 

South Carolina was ranked 13th in 12' and 10th 13'. 

So I ask again, what is the hump? Is it winning the national championship? One loss season? Clearly, two losses is too many, even if they come to good or even great teams.

I'm not trying to "be right", I'm trying to understand what your definition of "over the hump" is. 

As stated before, couldn't win the games against South Carolina and Fla St in those years you mentioned. Lost 5 straight to S Car and seem to always drop a game to an inferior fow, Ga Tech, NC State. That is the hump.  Ga, LSU and Alabama are all considered "hump" games for Auburn. All three are top tier teams, just as SC and Fl. St were in those years. And yes, there were a lot of fans rumbling about those exact things. If you cannot understand that then I don't know what else to tell you

Archived