Jack Bicknell, Jr. -- New OL Coach

Auhud08

I think that Coach Morris had a lot of input with hiring coach Bicknell for the OL coach. I think that we may very well see something we have not seen since maybe 2013 when our OL was performing at a higher level that resulted in a successful running and passing game.  I really think we will see Gus go all season without interfering with his OC with the play calling and let him do his thing.

I think Gus trusts Coach Morris more than he has any OC he has ever had at Auburn.  With 2 former HCs at the OL & OC positions, I think we will see something different from the first to last game of the season. I could be all wrong and Gus could get frustrated earlier in the season and start tinkering with the play calling. Who knows folks? I would love to see Gus as a CEO coach and let Coach Morris run the offense with minimal interference from Gus. Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part, but like I am saying, we might see a different Gus for the 2020 season. 2020 could be a crossroad season for Gus with determining his future at Auburn.

It has been a long day and have started a new medication, so if I am a bit too repetitious blame it on the medication folks! Like all of you, we all want the same thing and that is for Auburn to win a lot of games in 2020 with good numbers on both sides of the ball. Will this happen? Only the Good Lord knows!

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

different Gus for the 2020 season.

It would be a welcome change, buuuuuuuuutttttttttttttttttttttttttttt...............................................................

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

It would be a welcome change, buuuuuuuuutttttttttttttttttttttttttttt...............................................................

We need to start taking odds on this one! Part of me says that Gus sees the light and lets his coordinators do their thing all season long. However, the negative side sees this as the same old Gus as in previous years!

6 hours ago, meh130 said:

Really interesting to read these posts. Our OL over the last few years has not lacked for recruited talent.  We have recruited plenty of 4-stars, and even a 5-star. It appears to have lacked from development. When junior and senior 4-star OLs can't win a starting position against underclassmen, graduate transfer 0-stars and 2-stars, and converted defensive ends, either they were not 4-stars to begin with, or they were not developed.

Also, anyone looking at our OL over the last two years and one can see the lack of push during running plays. Our pass protection was rated pretty good this year. But in 2018 and 2019 our zone blocking for the run was poor. It was very bad in 208. As was some of the other plays. I honestly think the reason we did not run a lot of power, counter, and buck sweep is because Gus did not trust his offensive linemen to be able to execute on those plays.

The constant changes to the starting center in 2018 and 2019 between Kim and Brahms, and the need for graduate transfer Jack Driscoll to start at right tackle were indicative of the challenges we had. Nothing against Driscoll, but when a 2-star graduate transfer can come into a SEC school and start, that school is lacking something. Add to that, our best offensive lineman turned out to be that converted defensive end who played one year of high-school football.

Our OL issues are systemic. They existed across two OL coaches over a number of years. It is not just recruiting. Our 4-star recruits get beat by 2-star and 0-star transfers. The OL requires coaching and development more than any other position. And we have consistently failed since the 2015 season, with a brief exception during our 2017 run (after a dismal start). Don't forget in 2017 our entire second string OL was Austin Golson. Our 2019 starting OL was relegated to third string behind one guy.

I think it is much more a recruiting problem than development. OLine is hard to evaluate. Therefor you need to bring in numbers at every position. Not 9 guys over 3 years. It was pathetic the rate at which we recruiting OL for the past 4 years. 

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Regardless of talent, recruiting, or positional coaching, I just hope that CCM has some autonomy and can get his position coaches on the same page he's on. Really feels like the players' collective ability to get their assignments right has been compromised by a lack of offensive identity and cohesion. Now this guy's the OC, now that guy is but he's only sorta calling the plays, now he's on the sideline, now he's not calling the plays, now he's in the box, oh there's a new OL coach, oh here's the old one again, we only run 4 plays and they all require wholesale substitutions......

I don't have a lot, but do have some experience as an O-lineman.  I can assure you that "offensive identity and cohesion" has nothing to do with an O Lineman evaluating what the defensive scheme is, what his assignment is relative to said scheme and play called and whipping the guys ass across from him.  EVERYTHING else is outside noise.  All of the things relative to an individual O Lineman's on-field success have to do with talent, coaching and desire.

19 hours ago, cole256 said:

Where your post doesn't work for me is you can't just look at a box score and see sack and say that's automatically on the o line. I saw many pressuresand a few sacks where Bo just had to step up in the pocket and throw the ball. Stidham did that alot too. 

I didn't just look at the box score. The stats were for your benefit and to back-up my discussion. I watched the game and saw what I'm saying. The Minnesota O-line was pushing our guys all over the place and exactly where they wanted them. They had blockers making it to the second level consistently and closing off run fits. Our O-line was having a hard time just holding ground against their D-line let alone open holes or generate any push.

It's interesting you mention Bo and Stidham. Stidham got clobbered early in the season in 2018 and for the remainder of the season he was watching his back and keeping an eye on his line instead of down field. As a result, throughout the year we saw him miss chances to hit open receivers and wound up holding on to the ball too long because of it. He lost trust in the O-line. Same thing with Bo. I agree that several times this year he ran out of the pocket well before he needed to and sometimes right into trouble. I wonder why he did that, loss of trust and confidence in the O-line maybe?

You're not going to find too many stats showing a team running well losing, that's not the argument. 

Actually, I thought that was the argument, at least my argument. Our bad O-line was a good part of the reason we could not establish a run game and also why Bo didn't have the type of season we all hoped he would have. Those things go somewhat hand-in-hand.

As far as your point with Kirby and Saban I don't see how it relates to your point but it strengthens mine. They are sure to recruit talent on the line and they are always capable of running so no they may not win a championship every year but they are always there with a chance to get in the playoffs.

My point goes to your argument about outstanding coaches not needing great line talent. You're actually making my point for me. They had great line talent and yet they didn't have the unfettered success you would expect with your outstanding coach argument. Georgia, and especially Fromm, didn't have the numbers he had the previous year. Their O-line play and his protection wasn't where it had been the previous year and so his passing suffered for it.

Alabama's O-line, while still very talented and pretty good had some breakdowns at inopportune times which cost them in tight games. One was the Auburn game. They played pretty decent most of the day but at times they weren't up to snuff. Case in point: They managed to get all the way down the field and inside the 10 but a breakdown on the O-line allowed Big Cat to get to Jones unblocked which forced him to throw much sooner than he wanted and was ready to and well before the receiver was ready causing an errant throw and a 100 yd pick six. Was that on Saban or the O-line?

The thing is, Auburn dealt with that sort of stuff the whole year besides not being able to run with much success. Hence you had a freshman QB (albeit a very talented freshman QB) looking over his shoulder or getting happy feet when he should be building confidence and getting comfortable in the pocket. He spent a lot of his time getting out of trouble (real or just perceived) or throwing the ball away when he should've been looking for open receivers. His talent and athletic (escape) ability kept him from getting more sacks and I think that skewed some protection stats also (JMO).

Then you make my point again with Minnesota. A coach can get production out of guys. This coach did with less talent.

I really thought it was my point: a good O-line a good coach doth make. Just like a bad O-line can make a coach, a QB, a RB a WR, etc. look pretty pedestrian or pretty bad. I think the fact that Auburn was more talented than Minnesota in most positions was a reason they were able to stay close score-wise because it could've easily been a blowout the way the lines were playing.

But no I understand better than most how important an o line is. But many of you are blaming things about Bo that wasn't on the o line. It wasnt the best play but it wasn't close to Bo couldn't even think because as soon as he hiked the ball he was getting sacked. 

Actually what some of us are saying is that a bad O-line can be responsible for a lot of things. Not just the QB getting sacked but yes that also. If you can't run, then play-action and other motions won't misalign or affect the defense like they would if you could. Safeties don't feel the need to cheat up in run support, linebackers can drop back in coverage and just read, making it that much harder on short passing and slants, CBs can spend more time and effort covering their guy rather splitting time in run support also. All these things make it harder on the QB and they all can stem from poor O-line play.

Now, please don't think I'm saying this was the only reason Bo had a less than stellar year because I'm not. It was just a very big part of the reason. It also was a factor in why the defense struggled at times. They had to spend more time on the field because of it. All phases suffered for it.

I think we're not that far apart in what we are saying or thinking. I also don't want anyone to think I'm blaming Bo for how the offense went this year. I think he did a stellar job with what he had to deal and work with as well as being a true freshman QB in the SEC.

That's why I can't see the new O-line coach and replacement of most of the senior lineman as being anything but a step (hopefully a big step) in the right direction. I only wish we had done the new coach part sooner. Could've probably helped us with O-line recruiting sooner also.

Just imagine what Auburn could've been this year with a better O-line and with the D we had.

22 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'd say it was easily about 80-90% of the problem. RBs couldn't find a hole and Bo rarely had the time to scan or the pocket to step up in. 

I've been hypercritical of Gus' predictability, his game plans, and the timing of certain  play calls. However, this year there was a lot less of those criticisms.  I actually agree with him this year that most of the issues were due to player execution and to me, that was mostly due to the very poor OL play and inconsistencies

Agreed. I've felt like our best years in Gus' system was when we had excellent OL/QB who can run. We ran it down people's throats and there was nothing they could do about it. It greatly impacted those 1st downs where we get 5+ a carry. Then set up for what would be a successful 3rd and short, which we were awful on this year. This would set up a great RPO/play action/rollout, keep the defense on the field, control the game, and score points. Fix the OL for good + keep a similar roster/coaches and I think we have a 10+ win season year in and year out. What's frustrating is that Gus had a chance to fix it after Herb Hand and didn't..let's hope this is the right hire.

14 hours ago, doc4aday said:

...we might see a different Gus for the 2020 season.

Instead of the visor and vest combo he's going to start wearing a flat cap and a tweed jacket with patches on the elbows. Tally-ho!

1 hour ago, brad5628AU said:

What's frustrating is that Gus had a chance to fix it after Herb Hand and didn't.

He took an entire 8 hours to make that hire and the results the last two years reaffirmed his effort

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He took an entire 8 hours to make that hire and the results the last two years reaffirmed his effort

Law of the Lid....

The-21-irrefutable-laws_1-Law-of-the-Lid

2 hours ago, AuJoe said:

I didn't just look at the box score. The stats were for your benefit and to back-up my discussion. I watched the game and saw what I'm saying. The Minnesota O-line was pushing our guys all over the place and exactly where they wanted them. They had blockers making it to the second level consistently and closing off run fits. Our O-line was having a hard time just holding ground against their D-line let alone open holes or generate any push.

It's interesting you mention Bo and Stidham. Stidham got clobbered early in the season in 2018 and for the remainder of the season he was watching his back and keeping an eye on his line instead of down field. As a result, throughout the year we saw him miss chances to hit open receivers and wound up holding on to the ball too long because of it. He lost trust in the O-line. Same thing with Bo. I agree that several times this year he ran out of the pocket well before he needed to and sometimes right into trouble. I wonder why he did that, loss of trust and confidence in the O-line maybe?

Actually, I thought that was the argument, at least my argument. Our bad O-line was a good part of the reason we could not establish a run game and also why Bo didn't have the type of season we all hoped he would have. Those things go somewhat hand-in-hand.

My point goes to your argument about outstanding coaches not needing great line talent. You're actually making my point for me. They had great line talent and yet they didn't have the unfettered success you would expect with your outstanding coach argument. Georgia, and especially Fromm, didn't have the numbers he had the previous year. Their O-line play and his protection wasn't where it had been the previous year and so his passing suffered for it.

Alabama's O-line, while still very talented and pretty good had some breakdowns at inopportune times which cost them in tight games. One was the Auburn game. They played pretty decent most of the day but at times they weren't up to snuff. Case in point: They managed to get all the way down the field and inside the 10 but a breakdown on the O-line allowed Big Cat to get to Jones unblocked which forced him to throw much sooner than he wanted and was ready to and well before the receiver was ready causing an errant throw and a 100 yd pick six. Was that on Saban or the O-line?

The thing is, Auburn dealt with that sort of stuff the whole year besides not being able to run with much success. Hence you had a freshman QB (albeit a very talented freshman QB) looking over his shoulder or getting happy feet when he should be building confidence and getting comfortable in the pocket. He spent a lot of his time getting out of trouble (real or just perceived) or throwing the ball away when he should've been looking for open receivers. His talent and athletic (escape) ability kept him from getting more sacks and I think that skewed some protection stats also (JMO).

I really thought it was my point: a good O-line a good coach doth make. Just like a bad O-line can make a coach, a QB, a RB a WR, etc. look pretty pedestrian or pretty bad. I think the fact that Auburn was more talented than Minnesota in most positions was a reason they were able to stay close score-wise because it could've easily been a blowout the way the lines were playing.

Actually what some of us are saying is that a bad O-line can be responsible for a lot of things. Not just the QB getting sacked but yes that also. If you can't run, then play-action and other motions won't misalign or affect the defense like they would if you could. Safeties don't feel the need to cheat up in run support, linebackers can drop back in coverage and just read, making it that much harder on short passing and slants, CBs can spend more time and effort covering their guy rather splitting time in run support also. All these things make it harder on the QB and they all can stem from poor O-line play.

Now, please don't think I'm saying this was the only reason Bo had a less than stellar year because I'm not. It was just a very big part of the reason. It also was a factor in why the defense struggled at times. They had to spend more time on the field because of it. All phases suffered for it.

I think we're not that far apart in what we are saying or thinking. I also don't want anyone to think I'm blaming Bo for how the offense went this year. I think he did a stellar job with what he had to deal and work with as well as being a true freshman QB in the SEC.

That's why I can't see the new O-line coach and replacement of most of the senior lineman as being anything but a step (hopefully a big step) in the right direction. I only wish we had done the new coach part sooner. Could've probably helped us with O-line recruiting sooner also.

Just imagine what Auburn could've been this year with a better O-line and with the D we had.

Great post. 

16 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I think that Coach Morris had a lot of input with hiring coach Bicknell for the OL coach. I think that we may very well see something we have not seen since maybe 2013 when our OL was performing at a higher level that resulted in a successful running and passing game.  I really think we will see Gus go all season without interfering with his OC with the play calling and let him do his thing.

I think Gus trusts Coach Morris more than he has any OC he has ever had at Auburn.  With 2 former HCs at the OL & OC positions, I think we will see something different from the first to last game of the season. I could be all wrong and Gus could get frustrated earlier in the season and start tinkering with the play calling. Who knows folks? I would love to see Gus as a CEO coach and let Coach Morris run the offense with minimal interference from Gus. Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part, but like I am saying, we might see a different Gus for the 2020 season. 2020 could be a crossroad season for Gus with determining his future at Auburn.

It has been a long day and have started a new medication, so if I am a bit too repetitious blame it on the medication folks! Like all of you, we all want the same thing and that is for Auburn to win a lot of games in 2020 with good numbers on both sides of the ball. Will this happen? Only the Good Lord knows!

Gus isn't a CEO.  Some people are; some aren't.    I will forever be thankful to him for his contribution to 2010; and his efforts in 2013 and getting so close to a Natty.  However, his day has come and gone.  He has not evolved or made any effort to reinvent himself or address the systemic issues leading to underperformance; which is the hallmark of a good CEO.  He's is now 1) an above average recruiter in skill positions and a below avg  recruiter for linemen, 2) a once oustanding position coach who has become an average position coach, and 3) he has a track record of misfires on assistant coaches; the lifeblood of recruiting and player development.    He's basically Kevin Sumlin.      

Not sure where all these sacks we gave up are coming from-we were 68th in sacks given up per game @ 2.something a game.

4 hours ago, AuJoe said:

I don't like doing the super long posts with the break ups because that will just lead to confusion. Once again I understand every little detail having a good o line will do and yes it's optimal. What I'm saying is the pass blocking wasn't horrible. 

The Bo takes off running when he shouldn't being the o line fault is ridiculous IMO. We differ in saying it was a very big part of his average year. The things that he was bad on pretty much shows IMO. 

Yes if you have a dominant o line things are easier but if you don't have one you still have to play and produce. When that Bentley kid started playing at south c he didn't have the o line, weapons or any of that but nobody held him and said it's ok your team sucks....he was still looked at to be a leader. 

Bo was not in these games running for his like a majority of time. The o line sucked at run blocking so naturally people want to say they sucked at everything

Is there a stat out there for the number of QB hurries our OL allowed because I think our sack numbers are relatively low due to Bo escaping and throwing the ball away. So I'm not sure if the sack totals tell the whole story. I'm curious about the numbers because hurries should discount Bo bailing out of the pocket unnecessarily and only count when he faced real pressure

23 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't like doing the super long posts with the break ups because that will just lead to confusion. Once again I understand every little detail having a good o line will do and yes it's optimal. What I'm saying is the pass blocking wasn't horrible. 

The Bo takes off running when he shouldn't being the o line fault is ridiculous IMO. We differ in saying it was a very big part of his average year. The things that he was bad on pretty much shows IMO. 

Yes if you have a dominant o line things are easier but if you don't have one you still have to play and produce. When that Bentley kid started playing at south c he didn't have the o line, weapons or any of that but nobody held him and said it's ok your team sucks....he was still looked at to be a leader. 

Bo was not in these games running for his like a majority of time. The o line sucked at run blocking so naturally people want to say they sucked at everything

I agree that the O-line didn't completely suck at pass-blocking. Heck, I recall reading somewhere that they graded out OK on that so there must've been something good there. However, their lack of good run-blocking didn't do the passing game or Bo any favors and in some ways hurt both as I stated in my earlier post.

I'm not sure what the SC - Bentley stuff had to do with anything since no one was questioning Bo's leadership or what was expected from him but OK, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the other stuff.

Enjoyed the conversation even if it was a bit long and more than I've written in any month I've been on here.

18 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Is there a stat out there for the number of QB hurries our OL allowed because I think our sack numbers are relatively low due to Bo escaping and throwing the ball away. So I'm not sure if the sack totals tell the whole story. I'm curious about the numbers because hurries should discount Bo bailing out of the pocket unnecessarily and only count when he faced real pressure

I've looked before and can't find those anywhere. I'm sure we keep them internally, but I don't know where someone else might publish them. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I've looked before and can't find those anywhere. I'm sure we keep them internally, but I don't know where someone else might publish them. 

I wonder if Pro Football Focus has them somewhere I haven't looked but they are an organization that would keep tally of such things I think

44 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't like doing the super long posts with the break ups because that will just lead to confusion.  For that reason is why you see my go into posts and post my response in blue font for the recipients convenience.  I do the same thing at work.  :bananadance:

23 minutes ago, AuJoe said:

I agree that the O-line didn't completely suck at pass-blocking. Heck, I recall reading somewhere that they graded out OK on that so there must've been something good there. However, their lack of good run-blocking didn't do the passing game or Bo any favors and in some ways hurt both as I stated in my earlier post.

I'm not sure what the SC - Bentley stuff had to do with anything since no one was questioning Bo's leadership or what was expected from him but OK, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the other stuff.

Enjoyed the conversation even if it was a bit long and more than I've written in any month I've been on here.

I brought up Bentley as an example of a QB who would love to have these resources but plugs along anyway and people don't say it's not his fault. 

But yes good convo you should post more often

57 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Good post.  Another thing to consider in all this is how our offensive line's lack of ability to get the 'push' needed to get our running game going affected the play calling.  Did Gus call more pass plays because we were unable to establish our ground game? 

Also, I feel like if our ground game could have been more of threat, it would have forced opposing defenses to 'play honest' and opened up things in the passing game as well (even with our rudimentary passing concepts).

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Yes not even with that too many different convos still leads to confusion. I remember us having one that we were confused on

Saw this from another board and bringing it over here:

Bo Nix was ranked 101st of all QBs this year by Pro Football Focus:

101. BO NIX – AUBURN

Preseason Rank: 96; Week 6 Rank: 88; Week 12 Rank: 96

The SEC Freshman of the Year was certainly not in the running to win such an award from us at PFF, as Nix continually didn’t grade well all season long, finishing with 18 turnover-worthy passes (T-28th) to just 17 big-time throws (T-47th). His highlight-reel plays were something, but he was far too often inaccurate with the ball, throwing an uncatchable, inaccurate pass on 26.5% of his throws. He finished as just the 105th-ranked quarterback in passing grade while his 63.0% completion percentage from a clean pocket ranked just 128th. He did some things well, however, as he was rather sharp on throws across the middle of the field, seeing an 81.5 passing grade and completing 93-of-133 passes for 1,036 yards and eight scores on throws targeted between the numbers last season.

Archived