DL Depth Chart For The 2020 Season

steeleagle

Let's say Burks signs with Auburn. What could our depth chart look like now? 

It just seems that we are overloaded some w/ all the DEs and DTs.

I see:

DE: Kat(Sr), Johnson(So), Walker(Fr), and now Butler(So.)

DT: Truesdale(Sr), Handy(So), Foster- Allen(Fr), or Butler(So)

DT: Miller(Jr), Newkirk(Sr), Hardy(Fr), Burks(Jr).

Someone in here is going to be RS'd(Foster-Allen, Walker)?

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Let's say Burks signs with Auburn. What could our depth chart look like now? 

It just seems that we are overloaded some w/ all the DEs and DTs.

I see:

DE: Kat(Sr), Johnson(So), Walker(Fr), and now Butler(So.)

DT: Truesdale(Sr), Hardy(So), Foster- Allen(Fr), or Butler(So)

DT: Miller(Jr), Newkirk(Sr), Hardy(Fr), Burks(Jr).

Someone in here is going to be RS'd(Foster-Allen, Walker)?

10 guys for 3 spots seems about right to me, especially when 3 of them are seniors and 2 of them are juniors. And BKB might put in a lot of reps at Buck. 

Plus, Garner's guys have been producing and have made everyone else's job on defense much easier. If any of the assistants are going to get an "extra" body, it's probably going to be him. And there's always the possibility of one of these guys moving to OL. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And BKB might put in a lot of reps at Buck. 

Somebody HAS to step up in that position next season.  We've gone way too long without a pass rush from the position.

17 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Somebody HAS to step up in that position next season.  We've gone way too long without a pass rush from the position.

Totally agree. Was really expecting it to happen this past season. It... didn't. Brown and Davidson mostly made it okay, buuuut...

• WarTiger changed the title to DL Depth Chart For The 2020 Season
7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I expect Hall to take the Buck position... JMO

I think he's got to be next man up.  TD and BK have shown their ceilings at the position.

I'm expecting something like this:

DE:  Bryant/Butler/Walker

DT:  Truesdell/Handy/Burks

DT:  Newkirk/Miller/Handy

Buck End:  Hall/Moultry/Wooden

Walker and Hardy have the talent to make me eat my words, but I don't expect any of the freshmen to make a huge dent on the depth chart. We typically cut the rotation to 10 guys. I have 11 listed above. Moultry, Wooden, Walker and Hardy are going to be in a battle royale for major rotation minutes on the edge. Hall and Bryant and (in my opinion based on his film) Butler are the only locks. It's possible Butler shifts inside to compete with Burks.

I think we have four locks for the DT rotation in Trues, Newkirk, Miller, and Stone Handy. I really can't think of a year where we played more than a five-man DT rotation. That's typically the cut off. Two deep with a fifth guy. At least one (here, Handy) swings between both spots. Once we settle on a 10-man group, I suspect you'll see a LOT of positional flexibility between Bryant, Butler, Handy, Moultry, and maybe Walker too. All those guys can play multiple positions.

1 minute ago, mcgufcm said:

I'm expecting something like this:

DE:  Bryant/Butler/Walker

DT:  Truesdell/Handy/Burks

DT:  Newkirk/Miller/Handy

Buck End:  Hall/Moultry/Wooden

Walker and Hardy have the talent to make me eat my words, but I don't expect any of the freshmen to make a huge dent on the depth chart. We typically cut the rotation to 10 guys. I have 11 listed above. Moultry, Wooden, Walker and Hardy are going to be in a battle royale for major rotation minutes on the edge. Hall and Bryant and (in my opinion based on his film) Butler are the only locks. It's possible Butler shifts inside to compete with Burks.

I think we have four locks for the DT rotation in Trues, Newkirk, Miller, and Stone Handy. I really can't think of a year where we played more than a five-man DT rotation. That's typically the cut off. Two deep with a fifth guy. At least one (here, Handy) swings between both spots. Once we settle on a 10-man group, I suspect you'll see a LOT of positional flexibility between Bryant, Butler, Handy, Moultry, and maybe Walker too. All those guys can play multiple positions.

Are you expecting Height to RS?  That would be the one FR I could see getting worked into the rotation.

Personally, yes, I expect him to redshirt. He seems too light in the butt to play in the SEC right now. Like Dee Ford was. He was forced into action and spent the latter portions of the 2009 season getting abused to a level that felt like reckless endangerment.

I expect to see all of these guys in the cupcake games, but I don't expect Height or DFA or Hardy (because he's not there in spring) to play in more than four games.

3 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Personally, yes, I expect him to redshirt. He seems too light in the butt to play in the SEC right now. Like Dee Ford was. He was forced into action and spent the latter portions of the 2009 season getting abused to a level that felt like reckless endangerment.

I expect to see all of these guys in the cupcake games, but I don't expect Height or DFA or Hardy (because he's not there in spring) to play in more than four games.

Remember the year we played Brandon King at DE at like 220 lbs because we were so desperate to create a pass rush? Hopefully those days are gone but man... all our ends have been a step slow getting to the QB since Holland left. 

5 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Are you expecting Height to RS?  That would be the one FR I could see getting worked into the rotation.

6"5 216ish? I think he has better odds of playing time at WR this season with his weigh where it is. I hope he gains about 20 lbs min. and is too explosive to keep off the field. I expect D. Hall to have a breakout season.

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Wooden is a DE now. Don’t think he’s a buck. Buck would be Big Kat, TD, and Hall with Height as the 4th

I thought Big Kat moved to DE last year. IIRC there was an article out about Big Kat moving to DE. I know he played at Buck most of the year....just goes to show how CKS and CRG move these guys around. I like what we have to work with.

19 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

6"5 216ish? I think he has better odds of playing time at WR this season with his weigh where it is. I hope he gains about 20 lbs min. and is too explosive to keep off the field. I expect D. Hall to have a breakout season.

I think Height is an early enrollee so I’m sure he’ll put some weight on by the time the season rolls around 

Just now, Sizzle said:

I think Height is an early enrollee so I’m sure he’ll put some weight on by the time the season rolls around 

Absolutely. Also, who knows what he actually weighs now? I have seen those weights on 247 be off by 15-20 or more by the time they enroll.

12 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Wooden is a DE now. Don’t think he’s a buck. Buck would be Big Kat, TD, and Hall with Height as the 4th

I think you’ll see Bryant slide into Narlob’s spot because that allows us to get our best four on the field. I expect Hall or Moultry to start unless Butler or Walker are just too good to keep off the field. 

Yeah, seems that DE is BKB's landing spot, with him spending some time at Buck either out of necessity (hopefully much less likely with the names mentioned above) or if we do jumbo run stuffing packages. 

Agreed about Wooden moving to the other side. IIRC, he's bulked up significantly already.

Somehow I keep forgetting about Hall. I was really hoping that Moultry would make the same leap last year that Holland did going into his final year, but it didn't happen. So yeah, fingers crossed for Hall. 

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

I think you’ll see Bryant slide into Narlob’s spot because that allows us to get our best four on the field. I expect Hall or Moultry to start unless Butler or Walker are just too good to keep off the field. 

Narlob?

edit okay now I see you meant Marlon lol and I personally don’t see Butler or Walker as bucks. I see them as DE’s and maybe buck every now and then to mix and match

Oh. I agree. I’m saying I think Bryant plays the DE position to allow Hall to start. I don’t think Bryant will start at Buck unless Butler or Walker lay claim to the DE position. 

Archived