Null



Sign in to follow this  
Paladin

2020 Grad Transfer OL Brandon Council Commits to AU!

Recommended Posts

Quote

Graduate transfer OL Brandon Council sets official visit to Auburn

Woody Wommack • Rivals.com

Recruiting Analyst

@rivalswoody

THE LATEST

Fresh off an official visit to Baylor, one of the nation's hottest graduate transfer prospects is ready for his next trip. Brandon Council, a graduate transfer from Akron who entered the transfer portal last month, confirmed with Rivals.com that he will be taking an official visit to Auburn on March 28.

Since entering the portal Council has gathered offers from USC, Baylor, LSU, Auburn, Missouri and several others.

AS A RECRUIT

A North Carolina native, Council didn't garner much interest as a recruit outside of Akron and he committed to the Zips a month before National Signing Day in 2016.

AT AKRON

Council redshirted his first year on campus but moved into the starting lineup as a sophomore, starting nine games at left guard and playing 533 snaps. He got off to a great start in 2018, starting the first three games at right tackle, including the Zips' upset victory over Northwestern, but his season was cut short due to an injury.

Council bounced back in 2019, starting 12 games while playing every position on the offensive line. Rather than return to Akron, Council entered the portal earlier this month. He will have two years of eligibility remaining and as a grad transfer will be eligible to play in 2020.

FARRELL'S TAKE

"Council was a big and physical lineman out of high school who lacked great feet and athleticism and became a late Group of Five pickup for Akron. Now after a solid career he can be a plug-and-play guy on the interior for someone at the Power Five level. He’s going to be a starter somewhere." -- National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell

Impact Rating: 6.9 out of 10

IMPACT METER

The Transfer Portal continues to change the way college football programs recruit and mange their rosters so we here at Rivals.com continue to evolve our coverage. Each time a player of note enters the portal, we will examine their potential impact on the college football landscape and assign an impact rating, both when they enter the portal and when they choose a destination. The scale is from 1-10 and the description below explains the scoring scale.

1.1-4.0 — Not a big impact expected, likely a non-starter and down the bench depth player.

4.1- 6.0 — A solid impact can be expected in the right scenario and has the potential to battle for a starting job.

6.1-9.0. — A high impact player who won’t change a program but will certainly be a very good contributor and starter.

9.1- 9.9 — A very high impact player who should start the moment he steps on the field and will change the outlook of a program immediately.

10 — A franchise transfer who has a chance to be an All American and one of the elite players in college football.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Gladly take him. Need

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alexava said:

Do we have a scholarship to give?

Yup. I think a transfer OT was always the backup plan for Bro Jones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Driscol if we get him it is for 2 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Needs to be a tackle

Or long snapper. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yup. I think a transfer OT was always the backup plan for Bro Jones.

Actually it was in the plan had we landed Jones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, alexava said:

Do we have a scholarship to give?

Yes. The thread wouldn't have been created & us bringing in him for an OV if we didn't.

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Actually it was in the plan had we landed Jones.

Which one of Burks, Butler or Frazier would we have passed on had we landed Jones and still saved a spot for a transfer OT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Which one of Burks, Butler or Frazier would we have passed on had we landed Jones and still saved a spot for a transfer OT?

Supposedly we can take 28 Per all the AU recruiting reporters. There’s a clause in the NCAA rule book where a freshman leaving can sign away his initial enrollee spot If he leaves in the fall. The team can replace him in the winter/spring semester. Charles Moore would fall under that category.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Supposedly we can take 28 Per all the AU recruiting reporters. There’s a clause in the NCAA rule book where a freshman leaving can sign away his initial enrollee spot If he leaves in the fall. The team can replace him in the winter/spring semester. Charles Moore would fall under that category.

Cam'ron Kelly left in the spring, would he not fall under this  category also?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Supposedly we can take 28 Per all the AU recruiting reporters. There’s a clause in the NCAA rule book where a freshman leaving can sign away his initial enrollee spot If he leaves in the fall. The team can replace him in the winter/spring semester. Charles Moore would fall under that category.

Well that's a new wrinkle. According to the recruiting reporters, the "absolutely final hard limit" has wavered from 25 to 27 the entire cycle. I suppose that depended on which way the breeze was blowing. Now they're saying 28. As you well know, I've stuck with 27 since this time last year. Now we learn this, if they are indeed correct.

As mentioned above by @Paladin, why won't this apply to Kelly as well? So we'd actually have 29. Can we "assign" two of this cycle's signees to those two slots, thus leaving us with 27 again next season?

We currently have 26 signees   (for 27 slots) plus the two newly discovered slots which totals 29. Which means, after adding a grad transfer, we'd have used 27 of 29.

Hint to all college coaches: If a kid shows up and after summer workouts and fall camp you see he's not going to help, run him off and get the scholarship back. Ezy-peezy. This must be a new rule or Saban would have had moving vans lined up outside the dorms in Tuskaloser every November 1st.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like he doesn’t have the quick feet to be an SEC OT.   I would like to hear about a solid G5 OT that wants to finish his career playing SEC ball!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Sounds like he doesn’t have the quick feet to be an SEC OT.   I would like to hear about a solid G5 OT that wants to finish his career playing SEC ball!

I mean, this sounds pretty solid, no?

Quote

but will certainly be a very good contributor and starter

I agree that we need blue chip guys but I don't know if we're in a position to turn our nose up at this dude. Not sure how many better OLs we're going to find on the transfer market. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I mean, this sounds pretty solid, no?

I agree that we need blue chip guys but I don't know if we're in a position to turn our nose up at this dude. Not sure how many better OLs we're going to find on the transfer market. 

And if Morris and Bicknell are interested in him then we should at least entertain the idea. They know what they have already on hand and this guy has experience at every position. A journeyman doesn't sound so bad to me if you have a spot to fill. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I mean, this sounds pretty solid, no?

I agree that we need blue chip guys but I don't know if we're in a position to turn our nose up at this dude. Not sure how many better OLs we're going to find on the transfer market. 

Yeah, we’re desperate!  We’ll take whatever we can get.  It sounds like BC is a better OG than OT, though.   But, there’s at least a chance he can play OT, so it’s definitely worth a shot.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Yeah, we’re desperate!  We’ll take whatever we can get.  It sounds like BC is a better OG than OT, though.   But, there’s at least a chance he can play OT, so it’s definitely worth a shot.  

AU OT situation: Troxell- recovering from third ACL surgery, Zierer- no D1 experience and coming off ACL surgery, Coffey- no D1 experience, the potential of Council- Akron transfer, and converted DL Alec Jackson. Only Jackson is participating in spring ball. Roster mismanagement at its finest. We better hope Hamm stays healthy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

AU OT situation: Troxell- recovering from third ACL surgery, Zierer- no D1 experience and coming off ACL surgery, Coffey- no D1 experience, the potential of Council- Akron transfer, and converted DL Alec Jackson. Only Jackson is participating in spring ball. Roster mismanagement at its finest. We better hope Hamm stays healthy. 

Bro-Hamm was coming on strong and expected to be the starting right tackle before the death of his son. I’m hoping he can rebound mentally to continue to come on as strong as he was. I know that’s beyond difficult though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

AU OT situation: Troxell- recovering from third ACL surgery, Zierer- no D1 experience and coming off ACL surgery, Coffey- no D1 experience, the potential of Council- Akron transfer, and converted DL Alec Jackson. Only Jackson is participating in spring ball. Roster mismanagement at its finest. We better hope Hamm stays healthy. 

It's okay, we just need to slide Brahms to the outside and we'll be fine

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ellitor said:

He's already been outside at least since the regular season ended.

So are they looking at Brahms outside and Irvin and Bell at Center possibly? I thought Brahms was locked in at C for continuity since all the other positions are going to be first time starters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

looking at Brahms outside and Irvin and Bell at Center possibly

Disregard my post. I thought we were still talking Bro-Hamm.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Bro-Hamm was coming on strong and expected to be the starting right tackle before the death of his son. I’m hoping he can rebound mentally to continue to come on as strong as he was. I know that’s beyond difficult though.

Yes, that is an indescribable tragedy. Bro-Hamm and his family is going to need to feel that full love of the Auburn family. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this