The Fox News moment that revealed a dangerously confused president

homersapien

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

Trump wants Americans to flock to churches on Easter Sunday.

One moment during President Donald Trump’s Fox News appearance on Tuesday served as the starkest example yet of how much he does not understand the seriousness of the coronavirus pandemic: He urged Americans to flock to churches on Easter Sunday, just 19 days away.

Trump told Fox News anchor Bill Hemmer he selected Easter as the day he wants businesses to reopen, saying he’d like to see “packed churches all over our country” — the exact type of large gatherings that the CDC, the WHO, and Trump’s top health advisers have all urged suspended to help stop the spread of the virus.

“I would love to have it opened by Easter,” Trump said, speaking about when he sees the country returning to normal life.....

What he said that it would be nice if this would be relaxed by Easter. He did not urge Americans to flock to churches.

OK, so you want to make this an etymological argument.  I'm game.

Etymologically speaking, one typically "wants" what is nice, or what they would "like to see", or what "they would love". 

In other words, from an etymological standpoint, saying I want is equivalent to saying:

- I'd like to see

- I would love (for)

- it would be nice

So from an etymological standpoint, there is no conflict or difference between anything literally  Trump said and the bolded headline in the above example.

Regarding the word "urges" (even though I never claimed he literally said that) you have a slightly better case, but it's still pretty desperate.

Given the context

- we are in a crisis, we would presumably be looking to the POTUS for guidance or leadership (since that's the job of the POTUS)

- Trump was making an address to the country specifically concerning that crisis

It's certainly reasonable to infer Trump was urging us pack the church this Easter.  After all, as our leader that is what he wants or would like to see.

This inference is further supported by the fact experts immediately starting walking back his statements followed by Trump himself.  

In fact, this inference is directly supported by the several MAGA pastors who immediately starting planning Easter services:

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/pennsylvania-pastor-slams-coronavirus-precautions-plans-woodstock-like-easter-gathering

https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronavirus/bs-md-ci-pastor-to-hold-services-20200331-sso3qw7vmncnjmlgbptewc3xhy-story.html

Bottom line, if you want to make some sort of principled stand on the fact Trump didn't literally say the word "urge", you're welcome to it.  

But it's a pitiful, pendantic argument that reveals how desperate it has become for MAGAs to excuse the incompetent, narcissistic, psychopath excuse of a president that is Trump.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Bottom line, if you want to make some sort of principled stand on the fact Trump didn't literally say the word "urge", you're welcome to it.  

You do this all the time, why shouldn’t I?

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

Example please.  Should be easy if I do it "all the time".

This is nothing but "I am not a puppet, Your the puppet!"  post. :rolleyes:

And sometimes, making an argument based on the literal words in a statement is appropriate or significant.  But not this time. 

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The mental gymnastics this one goes through are quite simply sad. 

Just now, homersapien said:

Example please.  Should be easy if I do it "all the time".

This is nothing but "I am not a puppet, Your the puppet!"  post. :rolleyes:

And sometimes, making an argument based on the literal words in a statement is appropriate or significant.  But not this time. 

A list of topics:

Coronavirus is a hoax,

Russia, Russia, Russia,

Impeachment,

Ukraine and the Bidens,

this should take awhile as I’m not going to play you game. 

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Perhaps you misunderstood me.  I asked for a specific example of my making a faulty argument based on erroneous "facts" (falsehoods) or a miss interpretation of what was said or meant by principles.

You simply provided a list of topics for which I may disagree with you, depending on your position, but a list of topic does not represent the sort of example of a faulty arguments you accuse me of. 

Regardless, I provided a short statement on each. Perhaps that will help you to locate and identify the example in question.

A list of topics: 

Coronavirus is a hoax, I have covered that in depth (SEE ABOVE) To recap, that is not a position (that "Trump said Coronovirus is a hoax" I have argued.  Please go back, review the thread and ask any additional questions you may have about my position.

Russia, Russia, Russia, There is a world of substantive facts we know and additional substance contained in the Mueller report that doesn't get discussed.  Those facts constitute grounds for impeachment IMO. The real hoax that is being perpetuating is the one that insists there is NOTHING there.  In fact, the term "Russia, Russia, Russia" is nothing more than a meme created by ******* crazy DKW to perpetuate the hoax NOTHING IS THERE.  I don't really want to delve into it as it's in the same category of AGW.  Deniers are going to deny.

Impeachment,  What's your point?  The evidence that Trump asked for an investigation in exchange for U.S. material support is overwhelming - certainly enough to justify the inquiry.  Some of it consisted of TRUMPS OWN WORDS. The outcome was due only to McConnell and the repub senate.

Ukraine and the Bidens,  Have anything concrete on this beyond Hunter taking advantage of his fathers name and his father letting him get away with it?  BTW,  I am fine with the whole situation being investigated with a fine tooth comb.

this should take awhile as I’m not going to play you game.  No I am playing YOUR game and you suck at it. 

Again please explain what your specific meaning was by posting a list of topics. 

Where's the SPECIFIC example of my making an argument based on an erroneous assertion of facts are or miss interpreting said fact such as what was said vs what was actually meant. 

THATS what you accused me of and that's the example I asked you for.

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

The mental gymnastics this one goes through are quite simply sad. 

At least I am capable of mental gymnastics. 

You are a mentally paralyzed, as you continually demonstrate. 

17 minutes ago, homersapien said:

At least I am capable of mental gymnastics. 

You are a mentally paralyzed, as you continually demonstrate. 

Why would I or anyone else choose mental gymnastics or masturbation as one called it? You act if that's a badge! Wholly sh!# batman, it isn't!

Calling out nonsense is far from paralysis. That your are the recipient is your problem. 

3 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Why would I or anyone else choose mental gymnastics or masturbation as one called it?

Because you are incapable of either?

(You do use the term effeminate a lot.) :laugh:

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Because you are incapable of either?

(You do use the term effeminate a lot.) :laugh:

Why would I or anyone else desire either? To escape a lie? No thanks.

Most earn the moniker. ;)

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Trump wants Americans to flock to churches on Easter Sunday.

One moment during President Donald Trump’s Fox News appearance on Tuesday served as the starkest example yet of how much he does not understand the seriousness of the coronavirus pandemic: He urged Americans to flock to churches on Easter Sunday, just 19 days away.

Trump told Fox News anchor Bill Hemmer he selected Easter as the day he wants businesses to reopen, saying he’d like to see “packed churches all over our country” — the exact type of large gatherings that the CDC, the WHO, and Trump’s top health advisers have all urged suspended to help stop the spread of the virus.

“I would love to have it opened by Easter,” Trump said, speaking about when he sees the country returning to normal life.....

What he said that it would be nice if this would be relaxed by Easter. He did not urge Americans to flock to churches.

My church is planning a "Drive In" Easter Service where we will set up a stage right outside the church with a screen and speakers, and the congregation will stay in their cars to celebrate Jesus' resurrection in unison, without breaking government ordinances. i believe Trump would give us a thumbs up on this. I know God will.

Archived