Expectations of Bo this year?

gr82b4au

10 hours ago, Sizzle said:

No we need the team to be good in run blocking too. Not just one or the other. The oline not being good in run blocking affected our passing. Defenses sat back and waited on pass plays because they knew we couldn’t run effectively for the most part 

Ideally, you'd want them to be better, and they probably could be far more realistically than they could be comparable in pass blocking.  However,  I'm just thinking if you needed this new look unit to be good at one or the other, I think they really need to be good pass blocking and okay run blocking, versus the other. By the end of games last year, running wasn't the problem, but passing never really got better no matter where the run was at. Such as like LSU, when there was some semblance of running, passing still wasn't there. 

It's not an either or, you need both to be good (at least in this system), and you also need the play calls to be good for the QB to be good (and vice versa), but I don't think we'd be bad if we had the exact same OL performance as last year. The offense had some issues that were far more impactful than the OL

25 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Ideally, you'd want them to be better, and they probably could be far more realistically than they could be comparable in pass blocking.  However,  I'm just thinking if you needed this new look unit to be good at one or the other, I think they really need to be good pass blocking and okay run blocking, versus the other. By the end of games last year, running wasn't the problem, but passing never really got better no matter where the run was at. Such as like LSU, when there was some semblance of running, passing still wasn't there. 

It's not an either or, you need both to be good (at least in this system), and you also need the play calls to be good for the QB to be good (and vice versa), but I don't think we'd be bad if we had the exact same OL performance as last year. The offense had some issues that were far more impactful than the OL

If the oline performs the same as last year then we’re not getting that far imo. And that’s with Morris calling every play and Gus not meddling at all. Everything starts with the oline

To have a sophomore slump, you have to have an exceptional freshman year. Bo didn’t. He was very up and down. At times, he looked really good, and other times, skill wise, he played like a true freshman. What I like is that a) he never acted like a freshman and carried himself with the confidence of an upperclassman and b) he has a high ceiling. I do think he’ll look substantially better this year. 

Bo is a student of the game. He will definitely or already has been putting time in the film room and I am sure his dad has been helping.  I can’t help but think he and CCM have already been bonding and discussing film and the playbook. Now the real question is the amount of practice with he the OL, TE’s, RB’s and WR’s he can get in before the season starts. 

8 hours ago, Sizzle said:

If the oline performs the same as last year then we’re not getting that far imo. And that’s with Morris calling every play and Gus not meddling at all. Everything starts with the oline

You’re not giving me any reasons for this though. The Florida game is the only one where I can remember them being one of the 3 biggest reasons the offense stalled. And even then, they probably did enough to win; the running game showed out a few drives, guys were open for at least 10 more potential points, but Bo had a (this is a positive Bo thread and I’m being positive) horrible game and Gus kept forcing Bo when he clearly wasn’t comfortable. Every other poor offensive performance I really don’t think they’re worth mentioning 

With regards to the OL's lack of experience:

2019- Gus has officially taken over full play-calling duties for the first time since 2016. Kenny Dillingham leaves at the end of the year after only being here a year. JB Grimes leaves at the end of the season. True freshman QB. 

2018- Chip Lindsey is supposedly calling plays, yet he and Gus mutually agree to part ways after two years. It's JB Grimes's first year back.

2017- Lindsey's first year. Herb hand leaves at the end of the year. They still manage to put together a good season. Stidham's first season.

2016- Rhett Lashlee's last year. Also, Gus turns play-calling duties over to Rhett after 3 games. Herb Hand's first season. Much uncertainty at QB for much of the season.

2015- Ends up being a total rebuild in terms of talent that is riddled with non-football issues + benching our QB after 3 games. 

2014- This was probably the last time that we had real stability and an identity going into a football season.

I know that an OC or OLC change here and there shouldn't be that big of a deal, but our sideline has been in constant flux, even from one game to the next. Hell, even one half to the next.. Everything is dependent upon Morris 1) having a vision and an identity for the offense and 2) being enabled to implement it, but if he hits on 1 and 2 then I don't think this group's lack of game experience will put them behind most of our previous groups' starts to their seasons. 

I fully expect Bo to be more productive this season. He's got a year under his belt. He gets back his main pass catching weapons and he's adding new ones. I'm confident this will be the best stable of RBs we've had since the 2015 preseason. He should be playing in a much more competent passing scheme. And even if less experienced, his OLs should be more talented. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And even if less experienced, his OLs should be more talented. 

I agree completely! Addition by subtraction...we are more athletic and meaner

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Three things that are difficult, ranked in order of difficulty:

1. Making chicken salad out of chicken poop

2. Unlearning bad habits

3. Making chicken salad better

As for more athletic and especially meaner... :wub:  

You've gotta think he will be much more productive. He really had bright spots last season on the biggest stage, but he also left a lot to be desired in terms of his completion percentage.

There were many factors to contribute to some of the less than desirable results from Bo. Freshman, toughest schedule, 1-AA offensive line, etc. 

I believe we will see around 25-30 touchdowns, and expect the INTs to stay around the same at 6, but could increase some as he is comfortable taking more risks. I want to see us use his legs a lot more as well. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

ALL of that plus a better coach.  

It's all "who knows?" at this point, naturally, with the preparation, or lack thereof, due to the covid silliness going on.  Is the Auburn team handling their business well?  Better than other teams?  ...or have they been too distracted?  Phew, tougher preseason than any (maybe in history) to call.

All things being equal... If the o-line is up to the task of just being "respectable" then Bo Nix will be much better.  He's a young man who may have played like a freshman but handled himself like a pro.  As mentioned previously, he can't really have a Soph Slump as he wasn't good enough to really "slump".  I think he'll be much, much better setting up for magic his junior season.

My 2 rusty pennies....

IMO, had Bo hit HALF of the deep balls to open receivers he missed last season, he'd be a household name. He has the tools, a stable of good receivers, and I'll be shocked if he still has those freshman adrenalin explosions - so I have very high hopes for him. And fwiw, I can see this year's o line looking better mid October than our experienced line did same time last season. 

Been looking around for info on Avg Freshman vs Sophomore QB performance.  Found this from 2015...so raw completions increase dramatically; a whopping 63%.and TD's 70% up.   I expect that is due to most freshman not playing as much as they do during Sophomore year.   Completion % only goes up about 3%.  And INT's only go up about 21%.  

TRUE FRESHMAN SEASON

1,979 completions of 3,580 attempts (55.28 percent)

2,461 yards, 177 touchdowns, 143 interceptions

TRUE SOPHOMORE SEASON

3,235 completions of 5,556 attempts (58.23 percent)

39,847 yards, 302 touchdowns, 172 interceptions

https://www.nola.com/sports/article_b0ac2a89-daa3-5baf-baa9-85dab3292839.html

Archived