i am curious so i have a question

aubiefifty

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just seems like there's effort on your part to not use that particular word. 

Also, I've never once heard or seen racism defined strictly as a behavior and not also as a system of thought.

I don't have any issues using that word. I'm just not cavalier with it's use.

Maybe that's an issue. The generalization of the idea/concept of racism shouldn't be so broad, IMO. There are absolutely racist, racial policies, and racial practices that infect our world. However, not everything about race or culture is racist. IMO, Being able to differentiate between a generalization, a stereotype, prejudice, bigotry, and racism is paramount to move a conversation forward about race and/or culture. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I don't have any issues using that word. I'm just not cavalier with it's use.

Maybe that's an issue. The generalization of the idea/concept of racism shouldn't be so broad, IMO. There are absolutely racist, racial policies, and racial practices that infect our world. However, not everything about race or culture is racist. IMO, Being able to differentiate between a generalization, a stereotype, prejudice, bigotry, and racism is paramount to move a conversation forward about race and/or culture. 

I agree with you that much of what gets called racism can be more appropriately categorized as something else.

But Trump is super duper racist. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I agree with you that much of what gets called racism can be more appropriately categorized as something else.

But Trump is super duper racist. 

Been a good conversation. Enjoyed it.

@McLoofus I'm not sure if you saw this link earlier, it kinda got burried in a bunch of post.

https://debbyirving.com/are-prejudice-bigotry-and-racism-the-same-thing/

It explains the differences I was trying to identify. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

@McLoofus I'm not sure if you saw this link earlier, it kinda got burried in a bunch of post.

It explains the differences I was trying to identify. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

It’s a great read. Great breakdown of the systemic racism we’ve had in the US since it’s founding. 

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'm not sure if I'd call him a racist per se because he belittles, demeans, and degrades almost every group of people. I do think he is extremely ethnocentric and from that he has developed a lot of cultural insensitivity and prejudice. 

Agree, pretty much an equal opportunity a**hole to all people he does not agree with.  

48 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I skimmed it earlier but spent a little more time with it just now. It's a very reasoned take. I think what you and this author call racism is what I and, I think many others, call systemic or structural racism. You probably already know that. And you obviously already know that I and many of those same others tend to lump racism in with bigotry. Which I do separate from prejudice. 

I agree that there is no reverse racism, but for a different reason. Racism- or bigotry- is racism- or bigotry. But I also agree that there is no structural or systemic anti-white racism. That's definitely just semantics to me.

I see where you're coming from with how you classify various thoughts and behaviors. I guess it's the next part where we diverge. And you're right, that's totally ok.

Agreed, good conversation. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I’ve seen different definitions. From most definitions I have seen previously I concluded that it’s not possible to not be racist. For any person of any race. I have been lambasted for this recently but it has more to do with how people get caught up in the definitions of words than hate or intent. There’s also a big problem with honesty when the discussion comes up. That doesn’t help either. 

On 6/2/2020 at 9:12 PM, aubiefifty said:

man most of these cats are ungrateful. i sent all of them a nude pic of me and they still hate me. lol hell some are even on the same side of the aisle as me. i normally get six bucks a pop for those pics............

I didnt get a pic....dammit....:lmao:

17 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Don't fret, it wasn't much...

😁

18 hours ago, bigbird said:

To me, that would be considered an ethnic or national stereotype in same manner as, "Jews are good with money", "Irish are drunks", " the Polish are dumb", "Asians are good at math" or "Mexicans are hard workers".  

Those are stereotypes and prejudices. Those statements are based on culture and not necessarily race...Although they can easily be both a stereotype/prejudice and racist.

"Prejudice" is to racism as beer is to bourbon.

Yeah there's times when prejudice is a more appropriate term to use than racism. (I didn't say beer and bourbon were the same.) 

And perhaps some stereotypes are the equivalent of "light" beer.  (I once had a superior at work say the reason that blacks were such good athletes was that okra is high in protein and it came from Africa. :rolleyes:)

Perhaps the term racist is overstated in some of the examples you cite - I don't disagree with that - but it is still a part of the same spectrum. 

I think it's better for all of us to realize that we are probably guilty of operating in that spectrum - even if only at the "prejudice" end of it.  I know I am guilty of it from time to time. I suspect most of us are. (Perhaps that's the crux of the problem.)

But trying to establish clear differences and distinctions within that spectrum sounds like a way to avoid an uncomfortable truth about yourself.  You may not be "racist", but you are still operating on that spectrum.

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

i will send you a close up! with a bernie hairdoo...........lolol  better?

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

That is a very prejudice statement.

It may seem like semantics to you but to me, there is a real difference between the two. 

Prejudice refers to a preconceived idea about a particular group, while racism involves an unequal distribution of power on the basis of race.

racism-vs-prejudice-3026086-v3-5b562afa4

https://www.thoughtco.com/racism-vs-prejudice-3026086

i am prejudice for you bird baby...........

some one said trump likes gays but did yhe not bang the trannies? i would look but i just woke up and on my first cup of black silk...........

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am prejudice for you bird baby...........

Me too!

Just now, bigbird said:

Me too!

what about golf........?

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

some one said trump likes gays but did yhe not bang the trannies? i would look but i just woke up and on my first cup of black silk...........

Dude.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Dude.

what? did i do something wrong? black silk is folgers coffee which i love.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dude.

i meant to  say bad things...............bang is just a term. a bad one...............

thats my middle name. lol i honestly meant no shot at trump. hey maybe we will end up with a singles threat out of all this..............

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

thats my middle name. lol i honestly meant no shot at trump. hey maybe we will end up with a singles threat out of all this..............

Singles threat? Or did you mean thread? 😂😂

Just now, wdefromtx said:

Singles threat? Or did you mean thread? 😂😂

lol thread. man i need to quit. i am sick with the crud and can barely get my name right. thanks. i guess i can leave it for laughs.........

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i will send you a close up! with a bernie hairdoo...........lolol  better?

I am more into the video aspect than pics come to think about it.

And I defintely prefer manscaped... 😉

8 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I am more into the video aspect than pics come to think about it.

And I defintely prefer manscaped... 😉

if i did not manscape i would be hid in the bushes so to speak.............grins

Archived