Statues of Junipero Serra, lyricist of 'Star-Spangled Banner' Francis Scott Key torn down in San Francisco

Auburn85

https://abc7news.com/statues-torn-down-francis-scott-key-junipero-serra-golden-gate-park/6257760/

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- As monuments and statues are being torn down across the U.S., three more are now down in San Francisco and marked with red paint.

Video shows a monument of Junipero Serra being pulled to the ground Friday night.

Serra established the California missions and is accused of committing atrocities against Native Americans.

A statue at Golden Gate Park of Francis Scott Key was also torn down.

6257767_062020-kgo-francis-scott-key-vid

Francis Scott Key statue comes down at San Francisco's Golden Gate Park

RELATED: Christopher Columbus statue removed at Coit Tower in San Francisco

Video shows a group pulling the statue down with rope.

Key wrote the national anthem and was a known slaveholder.

A bust of Ulysses S. Grant was also brought to the ground and another statue of Spanish writer Miguel Cervantes was vandalized.

This come a day after San Francisco city officials removed a statue of Christopher Columbus from Coit Tower.

San Francisco police confirmed Saturday that officers were sent to the area of Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive for "a large civic gathering."

The department said officers observed people vandalizing statues.

They also threw things at the officers, SFPD said.

The group dispersed around 9:30 p.m. and no arrests were made, according to police.

In a statement to ABC7 News, San Francisco Mayor London Breed writes:

"There is very real pain in this country rooted in our history of slavery and oppression, especially against African-Americans and Indigenous people. I know that pain all too well. But the damage done to our park last night went far beyond just the statues that were torn down, and included significant damage to Golden Gate Park. Every dollar we spend cleaning up this vandalism takes funding away from actually supporting our community, including our African-American community. I say this not to defend any particular statue or what it represents, but to recognize that when people take action in the name of my community, they should actually involve us. And when they vandalize our public parks, that's their agenda, not ours.

If we are going to make real change, let's do the work with our impacted communities to make that change. To do that, I have asked the Arts Commission, the Human Rights Commission, and the Recreation and Parks Department and its Commission to work with the community to evaluate our public art and its intersection with our country's racist history so that we can move forward together to make real changes in this City. Who and what we honor through our public art can and should reflect our values."

Vandalizing a memorial to U.S. Grant shows just how little these riots have to do with racial issues. Instigated by the communist ANTIFA group, they are an attack on America, pure and simple.

screw sherman. not only did he destroy atlanta he pretty much helped destroy the indian nations. he gets no love from fiddy.

also i bet if they had a monument of the ol mighty fiddy folks would be bringing flowers and stuffed animals and such because i am so awesome. ask me if you do not believe it.

56 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

screw sherman. not only did he destroy atlanta he pretty much helped destroy the indian nations. he gets no love from fiddy.

On quiet nights down here you can still hear the howls of indignation off in the distance. Can't say we weren't warned. 

10 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

YES! Grant, Sherman, Custer tear them all down.

nwa.jpg

i read somewhere that folks said sherman was a psycho path. it was either during the special on grant or someone talking about the grant thing in comments. same for jackson. the trail of tears and all that.

10 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i read somewhere that folks said sherman was a psycho path. it was either during the special on grant or someone talking about the grant thing in comments. same for jackson. the trail of tears and all that.

He may have suffered from some form of mental illness (and it may be part of the reason he thrived) but "psychopath" is probably an incorrect descriptor. One can read his letter to the mayor of Atlanta and it would be hard to come away with the idea he didn't understand the suffering of others, a key trait that psychopaths lack. 

Gentlemen:

… You might as well appeal against the thunder-storm as against these terrible hardships of war. They are inevitable, and the only way the people of Atlanta can hope once more to live in peace and quiet at home, is to stop the war; which can only be done by admitting that it began in error and is perpetuated in pride.

We don't want your negroes, or your horses, or your houses, or your lands, or anything you have, but we do want and will have a just obedience to the laws of the United States. That we will have, and, if it involves the destruction of your improvements, we cannot help it.…

I myself have seen in Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, hundreds and thousands of women and children fleeing from your armies and desperadoes, hungry and with bleeding feet. In Memphis, Vicksburg, and Mississippi, we find thousands upon thousands of the families of rebel soldiers left on our hands, and who we could not see starve. Now that war comes home to you, you feel very different. You deprecate its horrors, but did not feel them when you sent carloads of soldiers and ammunitions, and moulded shells and shot, to carry war into Kentucky and Tennessee, to desolate the homes of hundreds and thousands of good people who only asked to live in peace at their old homes and under the Government of their inheritance.…

But, my dear Sirs, when peace does come, you may call on me for any thing. Then will I share with you the last cracker, and work with you to shield your homes and families against danger from every quarter.

Now you must go, and take with you the old and feeble, feed and nourish them, and build for them, amid quiet places, proper habitations to shield them against the weather until the mad passions of men cool down, and allow them in peace once more to settle their old homes at Atlanta.

Yours in haste,

W. T. Sherman, Maj.-Gen., commanding

21 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

No way Sherman was a psychopath.  To the contrary, he was an intellectual who understood modern war and the quickest way of ending it. (Though he was prone to bouts of depression and anxiety.)

Even so, he accepted the surrender of Confederate Armies in the Carolina's, Georgia and Florida on terms that were considered too lenient by the Secretary of War. 

Interesting fact: Before the war, he was superintendent of Louisiana State Seminary of Learning and Military Academy (which is now LSU). 

11 minutes ago, homersapien said:

No way Sherman was a psychopath.  To the contrary, he was an intellectual who understood modern war and the quickest way of ending it. (Though he was prone to bouts of depression and anxiety.)

Manic-depressive (bipolar disorder) is the best theory IMO. He had a s***ty time of it early in the war and was relieved of his command at one point, but contrast that with the brilliance (yes, brilliance) of his March to the Sea, waging a total war when it was necessary before total war was a thing, and it sort of fits.

And he was a ruthless a**hole, but he had a framework and standards.

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Sherman was a murderer/racist. He used his same strategy by almost making an animal extinct in the Indian wars.

Here is what happened if you were Jewish and under Sherman's command:

Sherman himself certainly did not believe that "each man is as good as another." For example, in 1862 Sherman was bothered that "the country" was "swarming with dishonest Jews" (see Michael Fellman, "Citizen Sherman," p. 153). He got his close friend, General Grant, to expel all Jews from his army. As Fellman writes, "On December 17, 1862, Grant . . . , like a medieval monarch . . . expelled ‘The Jews, as a class,’ from his department."

Most of the raids on Indian camps were conducted in the winter, when families would be together and could therefore all be killed at once. Sherman gave Sheridan "authorization to slaughter as many women and children as well as men Sheridan or his subordinates felt was necessary when they attacked Indian villages" (Fellman, p. 271). All livestock was also killed so that any survivors would be more likely to starve to death.

Sherman was once brought before a congressional committee after federal Indian agents, who were supposed to be supervising the Indians who were on reservations, witnessed "the horror of women and children under military attack." Nothing came of the hearings, however. Sherman ordered his subordinates to kill the Indians without restraint to achieve what he called "the final solution of the Indian problem," and promised that if the newspapers found out about it he would "run interference against any complaints about atrocities back East" (Fellman, p. 271). Eight years into his war of "extermination" Sherman was bursting with pride over his accomplishments. "I am charmed at the handsome conduct of our troops in the field," he wrote Sheridan in 1874. "They go in with the relish that used to make our hearts glad in 1864-5" (Fellman, p. 272)

https://coyoteprime-runningcauseicantfly.blogspot.com/2009/05/native-americans-general-shermans-final.html

Hitler praised men like Sherman and the United States tactics during the Indian Wars. He also almost lead an animal to extinction in his attempt to make Native Americans extinct.

27 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Sherman was a murderer/racist. He used his same strategy by almost making an animal extinct in the Indian wars.

https://coyoteprime-runningcauseicantfly.blogspot.com/2009/05/native-americans-general-shermans-final.html

Hitler praised men like Sherman and the United States tactics during the Indian Wars. He also almost lead an animal to extinction in his attempt to make Native Americans extinct.

All the reputable sources on that and you went with Thomas ******* DiLorenzo lol. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

All the reputable sources on that and you went with Thomas ******* DiLorenzo lol. 

Shouldn't even need sources.

Pulled something fast cause I am working on some Covid stuff for work tomorrow. I could always spend more time on proper source hunting and less on the other if it pleases you.

6 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Shouldn't even need sources.

Pulled something fast cause I am working on some Covid stuff for work tomorrow. I could always spend more time on proper source hunting and less on the other if it pleases you.

Oh, buzz off. My ass has been in the fire due to COVID for several months now and I have a 12-14 hour day scheduled tomorrow as a result. Don't play that bull**** for sympathy. You aren't the only one having to deal with it.

That you sourced one of the foremost lost causers alive today is hilarious to me, true or no. No one here denies that Sherman was a racist, anti-semite and an asshat, especially with regards to our native populations. Almost like history and historical figures are complicated, go figure. 

25 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Go **** yourself also. Nothing to do with sympathy.

Oh, look. Found me a whiny asshat that reacts like the indignant dillweed he is because he has the temerity to name drop COVID smd then melt hard when challenged on his sources.

"I have more important things to do! COVID COVID COVID! HOW DARE YOU CALL ME ON IT WHEN I SOURCE MISES INSTITUTE ASSHATS! **** YOU, DUB!"

I'm frustrated with some people over me. I should of just said that and I have no issue owning that frustration. So I will apologize for my naming the source of my frustration.

Yeah welcome to real life, as if most here aren't familiar with putting up with bull**** in our respective professions. 

You've demonstrated you will call people out for petty s*** while not holding your own clique to the same standards. You've done it with me.

Yeah, next time one of my "clique" sources an a**hole, point me that way and I'll rip them a new one for your sake. 

Maybe if you would of explained your reasoning on said source my reaction would of been different and said that's fair

I did. DiLorenzo is a hilarious lost-cause pseudohistorian. 

The last two sentences are why you got the response you did. I don't give a **** about sympathy, its the job, it was in the description, and I signed up for it.

Yeah bull****. "I have more important things to do than check my sources! I'm dealing with COVID!"

54 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Nm. Done. Place isn't worth it

Jeez I guess I hit close to home with that one. 

21 hours ago, Mikey said:

Vandalizing a memorial to U.S. Grant shows just how little these riots have to do with racial issues

Have serious doubts that anyone is truly "offended" by a meaningless statue that most people pay no attention to. 

11 hours ago, AUDub said:

Quoting Sherman: "We don't want....... anything you have, but we do want and will have a just obedience to the laws of the United States. That we will have, and, if it involves the destruction of your improvements, we cannot help it."

That would be a great message to send to the communist inspired and financed hoodlums who are rampaging in the streets these days.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That would be a great message to send to the communist inspired and financed hoodlums who are rampaging in the streets these days.

Commies? They have money to spare?

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Commies? They have money to spare?

They've had the money to finance ANTIFA from the ground up.

Have you forgotten so soon that according to congressional Dems Putin wants to re-establish the USSR and Trump's (alleged) buddy in China wants to rule the world??

5 hours ago, AUDub said:

Jeez I guess I hit close to home with that one. 

I erased it cause I decided I'd unfairly projected frustration with a person on chat( I was actually in a zoom thing with people telling us we were wrong but couldn't show us any of their material to back it) into your remark based on previous engagements. No clue if you read it, didn't see a response.  I was gonna settle down and post a better apology. You see the erased post actually admitted that.

And you didn't explain why you didn't originally like the source, which is why I snarked back with I had better things to do atm while doing those things. If you had explained your reasoning in the first response that would of been the end of it. I actually would of been interested in your reasoning why. I posted the first thing that came up on google and admitted it when I said i spent no time on it.

The **** off was for the looking for sympathy comment, not the questioning of sources lol.

If I misread your original comment, I apologize for projecting my frustration on you.

And no, it isn't worth it for me to get irritated with people on this board.

11 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

yes i agree. he is vile and i believe he used hi position and the wars,etc, to do what he enjoys best.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

They've had the money to finance ANTIFA from the ground up.

Have you forgotten so soon that according to congressional Dems Putin wants to re-establish the USSR and Trump's (alleged) buddy in China wants to rule the world??

If you consider Oligarch money commie money, the commies back Trump.

Archived