All Things AU & SEC Football Schedules (Threads Merged)

auburn4ever

I would love to see them fill in games with all in state opponents...all though i know it will not happen...

No flying, no hotels, same day bus trips.

Plenty of teams to choose from; Troy, UAB, USA, UNA, A&M, etc...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get the stiff arm that is put on Troy by Auburn and Alabama. I can understand not wanting to play a team because they are seen as inferior, but are actually full of some good players that can sneak up and get you. The problem with that argument, though, is that Auburn plays a team or two like that every year. Arkansas State, Southern Miss, Tulane, Georgia Southern... we've played all of those teams in recent years. In my eyes, it's the same type of team. Don't get the fear of playing Troy, but the acceptance to play teams that are very similar in nature (full of some power 5 transfers and some 3 under-valued 3 stars).

2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I don't get the stiff arm that is put on Troy by Auburn and Alabama. I can understand not wanting to play a team because they are seen as inferior, but are actually full of some good players that can sneak up and get you. The problem with that argument, though, is that Auburn plays a team or two like that every year. Arkansas State, Southern Miss, Tulane, Georgia Southern... we've played all of those teams in recent years. In my eyes, it's the same type of team. Don't get the fear of playing Troy, but the acceptance to play teams that are very similar in nature (full of some power 5 transfers and some 3 under-valued 3 stars).

The problem is this- there is no upside to playing these teams. They are just good enough to show up and we become their Super Bowl. Remember Jacksonville State in 2015? In state team with talent.

If we win, we were supposed to. Take the W and move on, no big deal.

If it's close, we're not as good as advertised and it changes the perception of our program in state. Affects recruiting locally.

If we lose- it's open season on our ass from every program in the state and it's too close to home to deal with. And we've paid for the L.

If you're going to pay a team to play against, they better be beatable.

20 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

If we lose- it's open season on our ass from every program in the state and it's too close to home to deal with. And we've paid for the L.

Maybe you've got something there. If we pay for a win we dang sure better get one or we just refuse to pay. :cheers:

Or we could just take them seriously from the beginning of the week and that would have work too. 

On 7/25/2020 at 11:55 AM, auburn4ever said:

Maybe Auburn will fill that open date with South Alabama.

was talking with someone a few years ago he brought up the possibility of starting a football rivalry with one of the in state schools troy, uab usa, etc my responses was "well we could do that but. they would surely expect a return trip to their place and they may need to upgrade their stadium to hold the # of fans both Auburn &  Alabama would bring.  this was right before ASU had setup their new stadium in montgomery he was one of the guys working construction on it and he showed me pics and said "Like this?". i told him have to admit it its a nice looking stadium but doubt it'd be good enough to setup a rivalry with auburn or alabama

Here is my take:  I think we should pay these schools whether we play them or not.  In Alcorn State's instance, it was not their decision not back out of our game, it was their conference.  These schools depend on us to keep their programs alive.  That could be bad PR if we see in the news Alcorn State was forced to shutter it's football program because Auburn refused to pay them.  That could be negative recruiting gold against us too.  Have Auburn show we always follow through on our word.

11 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Here is my take:  I think we should pay these schools whether we play them or not.  In Alcorn State's instance, it was not their decision not back out of our game, it was their conference.  These schools depend on us to keep their programs alive.  That could be bad PR if we see in the news Alcorn State was forced to shutter it's football program because Auburn refused to pay them.  That could be negative recruiting gold against us too.  Have Auburn show we always follow through on our word.

I’m not sure how the contract reads, but all of college football is sitting on pins and needles at this point.  If no TV revenue comes in and we have to pay all of our coaching staff, training staff, scholarships, etc, I think the school will be looking how not to over spend.  Charity begins at home.

14 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I’m not sure how the contract reads, but all of college football is sitting on pins and needles at this point.  If no TV revenue comes in and we have to pay all of our coaching staff, training staff, scholarships, etc, I think the school will be looking how not to over spend.  Charity begins at home.

That is true, but I believe Alcorn State is paid ~$400,000 to play Auburn?  I would view it as an expense to keep negative PR from Auburn.  For example, if I knew UGA would not pay their schools and Auburn did, I would be writing a ton a negative articles about it right now and a lot of people would read it.  Don't view it as charity, but a means to not end up with bad PR.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

No way Greene is going to allow payment to schools that opt out of playing in the fall. He has to find ways to cut costs, to account for the hit the AD budget is going to take without fans in the stands and other revenues they need to support the other sports that all lose money except for basketball now (Men's only)...

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

No way Greene is going to allow payment to schools that opt out of playing in the fall. He has to find ways to cut costs, to account for the hit the AD budget is going to take without fans in the stands and other revenues they need to support the other sports that all lose money except for basketball now (Men's only)...

Alcorn isn’t the one that opted out though...  Their conference is the one that forced their hand.

While I’m all for helping the little guy I also think Auburn needs to take care of itself first.  Allen Greene made it sound like the athletic department will be strained if games aren’t played.

13 hours ago, Win4AU said:

While I’m all for helping the little guy I also think Auburn needs to take care of itself first.  Allen Greene made it sound like the athletic department will be strained if games aren’t played.

Agreed. It's not like big schools aren't going to be hit hard by everything that's going on, too. Sadly, organizational charity might not be much of a thing for awhile. 

16 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Alcorn isn’t the one that opted out though...  Their conference is the one that forced their hand.

semantics. Greene is still not going to have to pay them. 

Looks like that game is toast.  ACC just announced they are playing 11 games.  10 conference + 1 non-conference.  The non-conference game has to be played within the team's state borders.  This protects ACC/SEC rivalries, but changes a few other scheduled games.

As mentioned a couple weeks ago, this is a go as long as a couple people sign off...

Tenn is one opponent, and I believe we are haggling over the second. (I keep hearing Vandy to come here to replace UMass.) 

I’d like to see this become the norm. Play 10-11 conference games and 1 marquee non-conference game (post Covid of course).  It’d make the season more interesting and fun. 

13 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

As mentioned a couple weeks ago, this is a go as long as a couple people sign off...

Tenn is one opponent, and I believe we are haggling over the second. (I keep hearing Vandy to come here to replace UMass.) 

I remember you said Tenn was demanding us play at their place. Is that still true? 

5 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I remember you said Tenn was demanding us play at their place. Is that still true? 

I have heard nothing new on that front. It was my understanding that an additional East team would come to our place in the week marked for UMass. Yes, UT was bargaining for us to go there early in the year (maybe to replace UNC...or play in CFA-replacement.) 

In a perfect world I’d love for the SEC to have 12 members and to only play every team in the conference every year. Leave post season for out of conference games. This also gives you an additional off week because of 1 less game and you could use it because of the difficulty of schedule. 

53 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Looks like that game is toast.  ACC just announced they are playing 11 games.  10 conference + 1 non-conference.  The non-conference game has to be played within the team's state borders.  This protects ACC/SEC rivalries, but changes a few other scheduled games.

Too bad

Maybe take the final divisional standings from 2019 and have LSU vs UGA, ALA vs FLA, TEN vs AUB, etc

But please have a camera on Kirby when he sees he has to play LSU, ALA, and us all in 1 season!

If AU is willing to travel to N Carolina (say, Charlotte) then its doable. Its all in the details, and the $.

Archived