Zac Etheridge for DB Coach

Tony4AU

1 minute ago, Paladin said:

Sounds like Keith is right again as usual.  Should see an announcement by Auburn Football any moment now.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

all im saying is its not an exact comparison. Ethridge could end up being a HOFer, but as of right now, I don't think he's anywhere near as accredited for the position as T-Will. Not saying it's bad or good, it just is

Sounds like he’s been coaching for a decade already and spent time at a respectable FB program.  

4 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Is BOOM! still a no no?

It does kinda fit, but dang does it bring back frustrating memories. Lol

7 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Not sure about this one . That’s why I don’t make the big bucks to coach at AU . I would have paid Robinson 

@JDUBB4AU T-Rob wasn't about the money.

Another "Good Fit" hire. Young, inexperienced DB coach under a DC who is a legendary DB coach.

High upside. Should be able to become a good recruiter because of his youth and closeness to the game.

We did not need a home-run DB coach hire.

4 hours ago, AUBwins said:

TRob likely not coming back so a chance for ZE.

No way TRob takes a demotion to come back.  TRob doesn't strike me as a guy who gets into the alma mater thing, he is a professional and career oriented.  I suspect TRob will take a DC position at a G5 school to build his resume out from under Muschamp a bit.  Or he might even get a shot at P5 this season.  I hear there are 19 DC spots open across FBS.

I am happy with Zac.  He has been through a lot with that injury that coulda killed him.  This tells me he will put emphasis on player safety and proper form tackling.

20 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Not sure about this one . That’s why I don’t make the big bucks to coach at AU . I would have paid Robinson 

You make it seem like Robinson for sure wanted to come here. We don’t know that . 

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

No way to prove it, but I have actually been keeping tabs on him ever since he was a GA at Georgia Tech.  I remember the student managers for the football team telling me in 2009 and 2010 he was really good at coaching up the younger players.  

Same here. Again no way to prove it since I didn't put it down in writing but was just thinking about him and I was hoping he would at least get an interview. Glad to see that whatever he did/said impressed Coach Mason enough to take a chance on him.

I don't think *every* coach needs to be a great recruiter out of the gate if you surround him with other great recruiters and coaches that he can learn from. Very excited to see what Coach Etheridge can do with some really good mentors.

4 hours ago, AUGoo said:

What's the "need' for a former player?

A HUGE part of Auburn's recruiting is selling the family angle, including being able to point to examples of where we support, cultivate and develop our own AFTER their life as a player is over. 

64B562A1-DC6F-44B1-B987-253CA05F8545.thumb.jpeg.536d0e5f8a4cfcd2b870f1223566ffe3.jpeg

Very excited about this hire.  Truly knows how to fight through adversity. I remember vividly being in the stands when he broke his neck.

29 minutes ago, DAG said:

You make it seem like Robinson for sure wanted to come here. We don’t know that . 

I don’t know that . Maybe he didn’t , But maybe he did 

1 minute ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I don’t know that . Maybe he didn’t , But maybe he did 

Exactly so just saying I would just pay someone is shortsighted . If it were that easy, he probably would be here 

19 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

64B562A1-DC6F-44B1-B987-253CA05F8545.thumb.jpeg.536d0e5f8a4cfcd2b870f1223566ffe3.jpeg

Very excited about this hire.  Truly knows how to fight through adversity. I remember vividly being in the stands when he broke his neck.

CB coach, specifically. Who's coaching safeties? Mason or ... ?

Just got home from coaching a tournament. We went 3-2 today (I'm at a new program and have 8 middle school kids starting against high school competition).

Anyway without reading comments here's my knee jerk reaction. 

Hope he can recruit well.

He seems to have a good track record at CB. He has more experience then some guys we've done this with before.

Mason is a DB guy so I'm sure he'll grow and improve.

Has one of the greatest motivational backgrounds ever. Try and tell him you can't do something or make an excuse.

I still have my ZEtheride wrist band/watch somewhere.

Good hire! Not as solid as a TRob but you don't have to give him a bunch of fluff titles and unnecessary money to appease an ego.

Zac seems like a solid up and coming coach vs a sympathy AU hire. 

8 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Obviously Mason wanted him and I trust his judgment.  

This x100

Very wise of CBH to hire/rehire Auburn men in Zac and Caddy. That goes a looooong way for someone like me who wants to see a contiuation of some kind of connection between our coaches and the Auburn way. I don't want Auburn to all of the sudden be Boise State or USCe or some other university. Auburn needs to stay Auburn and we do that by continuing to have a few coaches that have that connection. This is just my opinion.

Archived