The Portal is Ruining College Football

Old fan 47

There is no loyalty to a school that signed you and took a chance on you in many cases. The NCAA is a complete joke. Everyone knows you can be one and done in BB, but that’s a whole different story. Yes, I realize the top programs deal with this as well, but it is becoming absurd. These kids agree to play a sport on a scholarship at a particular school. I’m just not sure enough of them understand that most of them have no future in the NFL even if on a scholarship, but yet they bolt at the first chance they get. Let’s take a second and think back to some “greats” that transferred before it became as easy as unpacking. Roc Thomas, 5 star, never heard of again, woody ? Forget his last name, basically never amounted to his ranking. My point is, these guys could at the very least have earned a degree from a major university. In choosing not to honor their signing, how did things work out for them. Of course I forgot about Mike Dyer until just now. I wish nothing but success for these guys, but some of them of course have off field issues and some just don’t want to accept new regimes or coaching and rules in general. I expect flak from this post, but I would love to argue the fact that the NCAA is not responsible for this. The Pandemic is one thing, but how many of these players are truly leaving due to that. Just my $.25 worth. Have at it. 

27 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

The NCAA is a complete joke

We agree on this part for sure. But the portal didn’t ruin college football. Corporate entities taking in billions of dollars on the backs of kids who can’t have a summer job or take a sandwich without violating some rule. Throw in coaches who lie to sign them, then bolt at the first opportunity to better themselves. The kids figured out the NCAA, ESPN, and their coaches were looking out for their own interest first, now they’ve been empowered to do the same. And they are not wrong for taking advantage of it. I don’t like what has happened, mind you. But much overhaul is needed to correct course and return the game to some sense of stability. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

We agree on this part for sure. But the portal didn’t ruin college football. Corporate entities taking in billions of dollars on the backs of kids who can’t have a summer job or take a sandwich without violating some rule. Throw in coaches who lie to sign them, then bolt at the first opportunity to better themselves. The kids figured out the NCAA, ESPN, and their coaches were looking out for their own interest first, now they’ve been empowered to do the same. And they are not wrong for taking advantage of it. I don’t like what has happened, mind you. But much overhaul is needed to correct course and return the game to some sense of stability. 

I mean, this entire post is spot f*cking on.

Same as 20 years ago, players just get an "education"...but now schools making 40mm a year in TV revenue, coaching salaries up 5-10x, countless coordinators making million+....can be cut when ever they want b/c scholarships are 1 year deals.

Everyone else is making money except the kids.  Everyone else has their hand out except the kids.  Everyone making millions, but they can't host a camp or a use their own self to make a dime

Coaches come and go all the time. Coaches make all these promises then just leave as soon as a better opportunity arises, players are now doing the same.

You used Roc and Woody as examples of guys transferring and it not working out. But what about Cam? That worked out. Worked out for Baker Mayfield, worked out for Kyler Murray, worked out for Jalen Hurts

Treat the coaches and players the same and I'm good with it. Want to go to Tennessee, they reimburse Auburn for the amount of the scholarship they used. Same as a coaches buyout. And, if someone wants to pay them to watch grass grow, get after it. There are no amateur athletics anymore.

11 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Great points brother. I think at my age,  I worry about some of the advice these kids are getting. I realize almost all of them have dreams of the next level and that is what drives them, but honestly, the window to get to the NFL and make a team (many are signed as FA’s and sent to a practice squad, but even that’s no guarantee), is really small. Even the great college ball players aren’t good enough to make it in the NFL. I honestly would have no argument with scholarship players being given a stipend on top of their scholarship. I’m not going to pretend I know the right or wrong amount, but something is deserved. Good points by you. 

I think I saw Woodie Barrett back in the transfer portal yesterday! 😂 

woody ? Forget his last name,basically never amounted to his ranking

29 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Treat the coaches and players the same and I'm good with it. Want to go to Tennessee, they reimburse Auburn for the amount of the scholarship they used. Same as a coaches buyout. And, if someone wants to pay them to watch grass grow, get after it. There are no amateur athletics anymore.

What would you need to reimburse?  The athlete was valuable during their time on their 1 year scholarship.  Players should have an option to not renew just like the school does.  

31 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Good points by you. 

And by you. A lot of these players are getting bad advice. 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

What would you need to reimburse?  The athlete was valuable during their time on their 1 year scholarship.  Players should have an option to not renew just like the school does.  

So should athletic Scholarships be a one year contract with the option for renewal at the end of each season?

If they're truly Student-Athletes with an emphasis on the first part then shouldn't they be able to change schools like any other college student?

I understand where you're coming from but the NCAA sitting quietly while Bama buys the best team money can afford every year has damaged college football more than anything. No team stays that consistent that long without something being incredibly wrong.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

The part of the athlete being valuable is subjective as well. Who determines how valuable that player was? We as fans love to talk about how our 5 star QB was way overrated. Who determines whether the school got their moneys worth?

12 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So should athletic Scholarships be a one year contract with the option for renewal at the end of each season?

That's what they are right now. There was a push for 4 year scholarships that I don't think really went anywhere 

4 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I'm hoping the NCAA hurries up with the 1 year waiver and we land some OTs and a backup RB.

I'm not sure some disgruntled 2nd teamer from another school will help us that much. Plus, most people who follow such things say the one-time free transfer is out for this year, maybe even out for good.

9 hours ago, Zeek said:

If they're truly Student-Athletes with an emphasis on the first part then shouldn't they be able to change schools like any other college student?

I understand where you're coming from but the NCAA sitting quietly while Bama buys the best team money can afford every year has damaged college football more than anything. No team stays that consistent that long without something being incredibly wrong.

Can auburn fans please stop the bama buys players bull****. 

Elite talent goes to bama because they win, because they have the best coach to ever grace a college campus, because they have a real shot of making it to the show. 

UAT does nothing more or less than any other school. Well except maybe tenn

Major college football needs to break away from the NCAA and operate like a semipro league. Salary caps, contracts, etc. Let those who honestly have no business in higher academics major in football. Those who can pass muster for general. admittance let them do as they please schooling wise. 

12 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I mean, this entire post is spot f*cking on.

Same as 20 years ago, players just get an "education"...but now schools making 40mm a year in TV revenue, coaching salaries up 5-10x, countless coordinators making million+....can be cut when ever they want b/c scholarships are 1 year deals.

Everyone else is making money except the kids.  Everyone else has their hand out except the kids.  Everyone making millions, but they can't host a camp or a use their own self to make a dime

Players at Auburn receive well over $100k a year in resources.  Paying them is a joke unless they're going to turn around and pay for tuition, room, Board, nutritionist, strength development, tutoring,etc.

1 hour ago, AUGunsmith said:

Can auburn fans please stop the bama buys players bull****. 

Elite talent goes to bama because they win, because they have the best coach to ever grace a college campus, because they have a real shot of making it to the show. 

UAT does nothing more or less than any other school. Well except maybe tenn

Everyone cheats.  Bama Cheats, we cheat, UGA cheats, UT obviously cheated.

Bama cheats and can guarantee a national championship if you stay 3 years.  That plus the biggest payoff which is countless NFL draft picks.  That's more important than the cheating

3 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Players at Auburn receive well over $100k a year in resources.  Paying them is a joke unless they're going to turn around and pay for tuition, room, Board, nutritionist, strength development, tutoring,etc.

This is such a ridiculous argument.  I'm not really surprised as it is consistent with some of your other posts.

Yes, players have benefits.  Why?  Because everyone else is making hand over fist of them.

13 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

This is such a ridiculous argument.  I'm not really surprised as it is consistent with some of your other posts.

Yes, players have benefits.  Why?  Because everyone else is making hand over fist of them.

And they are well compensated for it.  Years of private training out of high school to prep for the NFL would have an astronomical cost. 

24 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Players at Auburn receive well over $100k a year in compensation.  Paying them is a joke unless they're going to turn around and pay for tuition, room, Board, nutritionist, strength development, tutoring,etc.

6 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

And they are well compensated for it.  Years of private training out of high school to prep for the NFL would have an astronomical cost. 

It's still not their worth.  How much do professional athletes make?  And they get every damn thing you listed for free as well.

These kids can't even have a job.  Let them make money off their likeness.  Blocking it while everyone else gets rich is why we're in this situation 

7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's still not their worth.  How much do professional athletes make?  And they get every damn thing you listed for free as well.

These kids can't even have a job.  Let them make money off their likeness.  Blocking it while everyone else gets rich is why we're in this situation 

I guess I need to say it again,  Auburn football players are extremely well compensated. 

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

I guess I need to say it again,  Auburn football players are extremely well compensated. 

That really doesn't matter when it's not even close to what they are worth.  They get the exact same thing players received 2 decades ago, but everyone around them is filthy rich making 5x more than they did in that same time frame.

Why do you get to decide how much these kids are worth?

Archived