2022 3* LB Powell Gordon Commits To AU!

Paladin

Somebody said this kid was skinny. While he is not massive he is far from skinny he can easily add some more muscle mass.   At 6'3" good height for a LB or safety depending on his wheels, In seeing him squatting in gym clothes I can believe that 215 was a close to honest weight. I am betting he will be at least 220 by the time he graduates.  I also expect that it won't be long until the services get around to rating him and I would guess mid 3* at worse but probably high 3* or low 4*. I watched enough of his film to like him especially his motor. From what I saw he is good but not elite if he keeps adding mass to be a true ILB my opinion of him would go up. Right now he has OLB body but ILB skill set. Since still a junior in HS he has plenty of time to fill out. 

• Like 1

Heard from someone who knows the kid that if he gets bigger offers (Auburn/SEC caliber), then he will probably go elsewhere. As much as we always want the AHS/OHS kids, going to college in your hometown isn’t that appealing to some, which I understand. I know I would want to go “see the world”, given the chance. 

This source could be right or wrong. Not saying anything concrete. Just thought I’d throw this in here to let you know what someone relatively close to the situation said. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Heard from someone who knows the kid that if he gets bigger offers (Auburn/SEC caliber), then he will probably go elsewhere. As much as we always want the AHS/OHS kids, going to college in your hometown isn’t that appealing to some, which I understand. I know I would want to go “see the world”, given the chance. 

This source could be right or wrong. Not saying anything concrete. Just thought I’d throw this in here to let you know what someone relatively close to the situation said. 

I mean your source isn’t presenting anything ground breaking . That is always an option.  Bama or Clemson offering him always poses a risk. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DAG said:

I mean your source isn’t presenting anything ground breaking . That is always an option.  Bama or Clemson offering him always poses a risk. 

The person did say he wouldn’t go to Bama, so there’s that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DAG said:

True, but it's a good reminder that "locking down your backyard" can be harder when kids don't necessarily want to keep stomping the same grounds they always have.

It would be pretty hilarious, though, if we didn't land this guy because another big time program out hustled us for him. 

44 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

True, but it's a good reminder that "locking down your backyard" can be harder when kids don't necessarily want to keep stomping the same grounds they always have.

It would be pretty hilarious, though, if we didn't land this guy because another big time program out hustled us for him. 

It's happened quite a few times the last 5-10 years, sadly

6 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

They grow up so fast! 😢 Seems like just yesterday you were a non-rated recruit and today you’re a 3*

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

• ellitor changed the title to 2022 3* LB Powell Gordon

Anybody remember when it was a big ordeal that we offered an unranked player ?

Pepperidge farms remembers but that isn’t any of my business.

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148865jyey5q3zvlji7dx3x

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

Anybody remember when it was a big ordeal that we offered an unranked player ?

Pepperidge farms remembers but that isn’t any of my business.

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148865jyey5q3zvlji7dx3x

Probably gonna need to pull Eston Harris's offer, since he's ranked almost as low, and definitely Jarrell Stinson's. He's ranked even lower! 

#FireHarsin

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

Add for those wondering 88 is a high 3* for 247.

In a previous post I said when he got rated he would be a high 3* or low 4* based on his highlight film and measurables. I also think if he continues working out and adds 10 pounds of muscle and puts up similar numbers to last year he will end up a low 4*. He is not elite but he is really good constant motor and watches and reacts quickly. He reads play well and reacts to it instantly. I have seen elite athletes play below their potential because while they have all the physical tools they take to long to analyze a play and react or are out of position. Football IQ goes a long way at LB because of all the different reads. 

Are camps going to factor into this cycle much? Maybe a little less than in the past but still somewhat significantly? I can relocate this question to another thread if better but it seems particularly germane to prospects like Gordon who just kind of pop up out of nowhere. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Are camps going to factor into this cycle much? Maybe a little less than in the past but still somewhat significantly? I can relocate this question to another thread if better but it seems particularly germane to prospects like Gordon who just kind of pop up out of nowhere. 

@McLoofus If you asking about factoring in to recruiting rankings then for those who can afford to go to camps yes. They always do.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@McLoofus If you asking about factoring in to recruiting rankings then for those who can afford to go to camps yes. They always do.

It was me being too wordy as usual in asking if we think there are going to even be a lot of camps this year. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It was me being too wordy as usual in asking if we think there are going to even be a lot of camps this year. 

Not sure about a lot but my guess is more than last year. & If the NCAA finally ends the dead period after May 31st then yes there will be a lot as every team will scramble in June & July to get recruits to their on campus camps.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure about a lot but my guess is more than last year. & If the NCAA finally ends the dead period after May 31st then yes there will be a lot as every team will scramble in June & July to get recruits to their on campus camps.

Does NCAA dictate camps?  Dead period means they just can't tour facilities, right?  Could schools still hold camps?

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Does NCAA dictate camps?  Dead period means they just can't tour facilities, right?  Could schools still hold camps?

Can’t tour Or meet with coaches.

Edited by toddc

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Can’t tour Or meet with coaches.

I thought it was just tour facilities....let the players run the camps.  Problem solved

• Facepalm 1

33 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I guess I need to put yellow font for @toddc too

Some of your past comments make it a toss up sometimes. 😝 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1