FDR and the Minimum Wage...

DKW 86

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/27/2021 at 6:58 PM, TexasTiger said:

Romney/Cotton are proposing a $10 an hour minimum wage by 2025. I’d like to see a bipartisan compromise at $12.50 by 2025 then indexed to inflation. The states with higher costs of living will need to be higher to be competitive. But Manchin knows $15 an hour in WV will probably result in significantly fewer jobs. I don’t think NYC and Bluefield, WV need to have the same minimum wage to both have living wages.

I agree with your assessment. 

Curious question? What would an increase in minimum wage do to my salary when it was once set based on the previous market value? Would I be in the market for an adjustment or would I just suck it up and deal with it? 

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

Curious question? What would an increase in minimum wage do to my salary when it was once set based on the previous market value? Would I be in the market for an adjustment or would I just suck it up and deal with it? 

Suck it up buttercup!! Pffft, an adjustment....that’s crazy talk. 

But I bet Congress will adjust their pay!! lol 

7 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

perhaps ask themselves..........What Would Trump Do?

He’d tweet that he’s a victim— never gave a damn about this issue.

So if we raise the minimum wage, my taxes will go down right? Isn’t part of the argument that huge corporations get indirectly subsidized by providing low wage workers with federal assistance? Those people who used to get assistance will theoretically now pay into the system right? So that should help rebalance things. 

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

We had a $15 phase-in the bag with Reconciliation and 50+ votes. Now, we are now going to have to clear the 60 Vote Hurdle which no one is even talking about being doable. 

There so far has been no contact between Romney or Cotton and the White House on minimum wage, according to two sources familiar with the matter. A Senate GOP aide said there are Republicans who are willing to have conversations about the wage floor, but that the e-verify mandate is likely a sticking point.

3 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

So if we raise the minimum wage, my taxes will go down right? Isn’t part of the argument that huge corporations get indirectly subsidized by providing low wage workers with federal assistance? Those people who used to get assistance will theoretically now pay into the system right? So that should help rebalance things. 

Not a direct correlation, but considering how massive our nation's deficit is and the deficit many states are in, There'll eventually need to be a lot of cutting of costs and benefits across the board with no reduction in taxes or revenue. 

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

We had a $15 phase-in the bag with Reconciliation and 50+ votes. Now, we are now going to have to clear the 60 Vote Hurdle which no one is even talking about being doable. 

There so far has been no contact between Romney or Cotton and the White House on minimum wage, according to two sources familiar with the matter. A Senate GOP aide said there are Republicans who are willing to have conversations about the wage floor, but that the e-verify mandate is likely a sticking point.

It wasn’t in the bag. Manchin opposed it.

4 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

It wasn’t in the bag. Manchin opposed it.

Well, I know you dont do numbers, but 50-1 is still a lot easier than 60-10

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Well, I know you dont do numbers, but 50-1 is still a lot easier than 60-10

I know you don’t do numbers but 50-1=49

7 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I know you don’t do numbers but 50-1=49

It would only take one Mitt Romney to make it work. Your idea is that we will now get 10 Republicans to support this. So would you give us the names of the 10 Republicans you think  are going to cross over and vote for it? We are waiting...

21 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

You are the one pointing to an article talking about passing it with 60 votes. 

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

It would only take one Mitt Romney to make it work. Your idea is that we will now get 10 Republicans to support this. So would you give us the names of the 10 Republicans you think  are going to cross over and vote for it? We are waiting...

You are the one pointing to an article talking about passing it with 60 votes. 

I never predicted success. I just said the direction I think they should go. Given how low the minimum wage is now and the fact that Republicans actually have sponsored a bill paying $10 indicates compromise is more likely on this bill than most. It wasn’t going to happen on reconciliation so the ranting about the parliamentarian is useless. Fire her, the Senate is still at 49, at best, with a $15 an hour wage. 

On 3/5/2021 at 8:25 AM, TexasTiger said:

I never predicted success. I just said the direction I think they should go. Given how low the minimum wage is now and the fact that Republicans actually have sponsored a bill paying $10 indicates compromise is more likely on this bill than most. It wasn’t going to happen on reconciliation so the ranting about the parliamentarian is useless. Fire her, the Senate is still at 49, at best, with a $15 an hour wage. 

IOW, like I said, it was dead and Biden and the Dems were never serious one second about it.

At some point we will be forced to work together to solve a lot of problems.

1. Healthcare

2. Debt

3. Runaway defense spending

4. Incarceration of citizens on a scale not seen around the world or in the history of mankind.

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

At some point we will be forced to work together to solve a lot of problems.

1. Healthcare

2. Debt

3. Runaway defense spending

4. Incarceration of citizens on a scale not seen around the world or in the history of mankind.

This Republican Party will never be problem solving focused anymore — that ship has sailed. The most we can hope for is 10 Republicans coming together on occasion for some issues. Unless the Dems get a bigger majority in the future willing to at least modify the current filibuster.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

But the proposal fell apart in the Senate, where centrist Democrats opposed it and special procedural rules forbid its inclusion in the relief package.

As a libertarian, I'm against any minimum wage law.  However, since the USA has one I do think it should be automatically increased for inflation.

4 hours ago, Trakem said:

As a libertarian, I'm against any minimum wage law.  However, since the USA has one I do think it should be automatically increased for inflation.

“If you’re gonna do it, at least have it make sense!”

Archived