Wagyu steaks....

I recently ran across a guy who farm raisess Wagyu cattle near where I live and was telling me about how great they are. He claims Wagyu has spoiled him to the point to where he just can no longer get excited about regular angus style steak or burgers  anymore.  No doubt they are a top notch quality meat, and I was sold on the sounds of it....Untilllll......... I find out its $55.00/lb for a Ribeye!!   So I understand it costs a lot more to raise, and alot more goes into raising them...but dang!! LOL......I am just wondering,  if anyone has tried Wagyu and has an honest opinion on them. Are they worth 4-5 times the price of a standard steak? 

1 hour ago, SaturdayGT said:

I recently ran across a guy who farm raisess Wagyu cattle near where I live and was telling me about how great they are. He claims Wagyu has spoiled him to the point to where he just can no longer get excited about regular angus style steak or burgers  anymore.  No doubt they are a top notch quality meat, and I was sold on the sounds of it....Untilllll......... I find out its $55.00/lb for a Ribeye!!   So I understand it costs a lot more to raise, and alot more goes into raising them...but dang!! LOL......I am just wondering,  if anyone has tried Wagyu and has an honest opinion on them. Are they worth 4-5 times the price of a standard steak? 

1. This belongs in the Powell Gordon thread.

2. $55/lb for ribeye isn't bad if it's legit wagyu. And I speak from a place of experience because I've eaten wagyu a grand total of once. Splurged on a Valentine's day special from the local butcher- 2 wagyu filets, 2 lobster tails, and sides for an obscene amount of money. And let me tell ya. Worth. Every. Penny. It is a completely different experience. The sticker shock is real but it really is Porsche vs Volkswagen IMO. The buttery umami juice explosion in every bite was completely new territory for me. 

Like I said, I've only had it once. I've had several "normal" steaks since and I still enjoy them very much. But they are indeed "normal" and wagyu is indeed "not normal". 

Let me take a few steps back, though. There are different grades of wagyu. It's not all the same. There's stuff in Japan that costs more than $55 an ounce. And it's so rich that you don't want to eat more than a couple ounces. I don't know what your guy has. But if he can show you a steak, you'll see the difference right away. These were my filets. Look at that marbling. You don't even see that on a ribeye normally. And yes, they were tender enough to hand-form into heart shapes for this pic (since it was V Day).

PXL_20210214_230652486.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

2. $55/lb for ribeye isn't bad if it's legit wagyu. And I speak from a place of experience because I've eaten wagyu a grand total of once. Splurged on a Valentine's day special from the local butcher- 2 wagyu filets, 2 lobster tails, and sides for an obscene amount of money. And let me tell ya. Worth. Every. Penny. It is a completely different experience. The sticker shock is real but it really is Porsche vs Volkswagen IMO. The buttery umami juice explosion in every bite was completely new territory for me. 

Like I said, I've only had it once. I've had several "normal" steaks since and I still enjoy them very much. But they are indeed "normal" and wagyu is indeed "not normal". 

Let me take a few steps back, though. There are different grades of wagyu. It's not all the same. There's stuff in Japan that costs more than $55 an ounce. And it's so rich that you don't want to eat more than a couple ounces. I don't know what your guy has. But if he can show you a steak, you'll see the difference right away. These were my filets. Look at that marbling. You don't even see that on a ribeye normally. And yes, they were tender enough to hand-form into heart shapes for this pic (since it was V Day).

Whoa. 

Those look good. I also came here to say that it's not all created equally. Most of the "Wagyu" beef I've seen looks nothing like those filets. Especially in a ribeye, the marbling should look like nothing you've ever seen before. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

LOL!...I had to read it twice to be sure you were telling me these were filets! lol.....But yes, he said to come and take a look before I pay.  Hes even offering sample hamburger meat, which is $9.00 a lb.  ....Ill actually pay that to give that a shot for sure. Im glad you responded though, Ill probably break down and give one of the steaks a shot one day.  He also mentioned that next year, they plan on breeding the wagyu / angus hybrids that will make for an incredible steak as well. He figured he could do that for around $35/lb for a ribeye or strip.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Whoa. 

Those look good. I also came here to say that it's not all created equally. Most of the "Wagyu" beef I've seen looks nothing like those filets. Especially in a ribeye, the marbling should look like nothing you've ever seen before. 

Bingo. The realer than Real Deal Holyfield stuff looks more like this:

image.jpeg

@SaturdayGT, my steaks didn't look like that obviously and neither will your guy's. But it should look substantially different than what you're used to and if it does, then it is probably worth trying it at some point. 

$9/lb for non-factory ground beef isn't awful to start with. Add in the wagyu factor and that seems like a fun treat to me. You won't get the full effect of a steak but you'll at least get an idea of the flavor imparted by what his cows are eating. 

I'll shup up and quit trying to sound like a know-it-all now. Please report back if you end up buying some!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

image.jpeg

@SaturdayGT, my steaks didn't look like that obviously and neither will your guy's. But it should look substantially different than what you're used to and if it does, then it is probably worth trying it at some point. 

$9/lb for non-factory ground beef isn't awful to start with. Add in the wagyu factor and that seems like a fun treat to me. You won't get the full effect of a steak but you'll at least get an idea of the flavor imparted by what his cows are eating. 

I'll shup up and quit trying to sound like a know-it-all now. Please report back if you end up buying some!

Shows what I know...If I saw steaks like that at a store, Id skip over them thinking it would be all fat and no meat! lol!!...Im liking the idea of the Hamburger meat. In fact, he actually kind of said the same thing as you as far as getting a feel for what your getting into. But yeah, Definately....I will report back!

Edited by SaturdayGT
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

image.jpeg

And what I meant was that most of the "wagyu" I've seen doesn't look as well marbled as your filets did. Those actually look better than most of what I've seen advertised and definitely more fat content than your average choice filet. I bet they were delicious. 

Those ones in the picture, I can't even imagine. 

21 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

And what I meant was that most of the "wagyu" I've seen doesn't look as well marbled as your filets did. Those actually look better than most of what I've seen advertised and definitely more fat content than your average choice filet. I bet they were delicious. 

Those ones in the picture, I can't even imagine. 

Yep, I read you. Was just pointing out more gradients on the scale.

16 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

Are we sure this isnt just a hunk of fat with some strands of meat in it?.......Thats insane!

It really is insane. And that meat is not meant to be consumed like we are used to eating a steak. It really is served just a few bites at a time. I can't imagine the richness and texture when that fat renders and you're just left with beef swimming in juice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

@NolaAuTiger knows Wagyu well. Set me up with some burgers a while back. From what I recall $55 not bad. Maybe he will pipe in on Waygu.

One thing to....may be a stupid question, but I think he said the meat was processed 10 days ago and are frozen. ...is that going to effect the taste and quality?

Have family who raise Wagyu cattle. With steaks, you want to actually cook to medium rare, or even medium. The rendering of fat content truly separates Wagyu from other beef. 

Their diets are expensive, and its not uncommon for Wagyu to go for $25/oz. I hunt on our Wagyu farm and can even tell a big difference in our venison meat, as the deer consistently get into the Wagyu feed. Also never a bad idea to send some Wagyu fat trim in with your deer meat - makes excellent ground beef. 

As loof alluded to, there are different grades of Wagyu. We are hopefully getting some Japanese Kobe this summer. Again, expensive to raise but truly worth it if you have a defined market not overly competitive. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Maybe @NolaAuTiger will let you come to his pasture and share large quantities of beer with his cows if you will massage them.......just a thought Golf.

https://notesofnomads.com/kobe-beef/

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Maybe @NolaAuTiger will let you come to his pasture and share large quantities of beer with his cows if you will massage them.......just a thought Golf.

https://notesofnomads.com/kobe-beef/

I was raise on a farm and if my Dad had told me to give one of our Black Angus a massage I wouldn't have lived to see the next day.

image.jpeg

• The first is that the cows are given beer to induce appetite.
  • The second is that they are massaged daily, sometimes with sake (Japanese rice wine), as a proxy for exercise in the tight living quarters and to further accentuate the marbling that Kobe beef is so well known for.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I was raise on a farm and if my Dad had told me to give one of our Black Angus a massage I wouldn't have lived to see the next day.

Forgot that you were raised on farm. Raised around cattle and worked with cows at Animal Health Research while in Auburn. Old old Suggs lab if you remember. 
Never had the chance to try mountain oysters and not sure I would have. You?

20 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Forgot that you were raised on farm. Raised around cattle and worked with cows at Animal Health Research while in Auburn. Old old Suggs lab if you remember. 

Lots of times and I remember the Suggs lab 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 10:32 AM, NolaAuTiger said:

Also never a bad idea to send some Wagyu fat trim in with your deer meat - makes excellent ground beef. 

Uhhh that sounds amazing

Edited by Barnacle
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Lots of times and I remember the Suggs lab 

Suggs still there. We raised calf’s and took care of cattle for parasite testing. Always had control cows and the research doctors always gave them to us for butchering after euthanized for test. Had a building at that time on site with a cooler and set up for processing. Great times then. Let us do things and have access to drugs needed for the animals that would not be allowed today. Our primary job was weekend and holiday care. We always stocked the drug refrigerator with beer on Friday afternoons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Suggs still there. We raised calf’s and took care of cattle for parasite testing. Always had control cows and the research doctors always gave them to us for butchering after euthanized for test. Had a building at that time on site with a cooler and set up for processing. Great times then. Let us do things and have access to drugs needed for the animals that would not be allowed today. Our primary job was weekend and holiday care. We always stocked the drug refrigerator with beer on Friday afternoons.

My Dad also own a slaughter house had me working the killing room when I was 10 after the kill we had to skin the cattle drain the blood out and send to the cutting room . Story's I could tell and you would never ever eat beef again..........trust me on that

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

My Dad also own a slaughter house had me working the killing room when I was 10 after the kill we had to skin the cattle drain the blood out and send to the cutting room . Story's I could tell and you would never ever eat beef again..........trust me on that

Believe you. When in Auburn always buy from Auburn Meat Lab. Folks that haven’t tried it see link. Love their hamburger and smoked sausage.

https://agriculture.auburn.edu/research/ansc/meats-lab/

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Certainly. It's nothing special. I'd rather have a good hamburger but if whoever got the calf cuts (Texas term for mountain oysters) ready to cook knows what they are doing, the dish is edible.

PS: I spent a lot of time evaluating hog carcasses at the meats lab while conducting various research projects when I was on staff at Auburn. I worked in the Animal Science department  for seven years after I graduated.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Certainly. It's nothing special. I'd rather have a good hamburger but if whoever got the calf cuts (Texas term for mountain oysters) ready to cook knows what they are doing, the dish is edible.

PS: I spent a lot of time evaluating hog carcasses at the meats lab while conducting various research projects when I was on staff at Auburn. I worked in the Animal Science department  for seven years after I graduated.

I will settle for the burger. Had one of the better Boston butts I have cooked in a bit last weekend. Bought at meat lab.

• Like 1