5 * CG Zion Cruz

johnjacob

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I went back and checked and I am still seeing the 19th for his announcement. 

Guess I was just remembering wrong. No worries.

Nick Smith is committing November 20th (and that’s assuming he doesn’t delay). If Bruce gets a 5 star to postpone 3 more months, after he already postponed once, give the guy a lifetime contract and then offer him another one whenever his lifetime ends. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Bruce has built up a lifetime of goodwill with me so I trust him, but it’s hard to avoid the gut reaction that we will regret this. Based on the film I think Smith has a higher ceiling than Zion (I believe rankings will eventually reflect that) but nothing in his recent public comments suggests he’s more likely to pick us than one of his other finalists (god forbid, but he seems higher on Bama). I just don’t believe we are a good enough program yet to be picky about 5-stars. Zion would be our second highest rated commit ever! 

(But again, trust Bruce.) 

• Like 2

I trust Bruce but to be honest I really wanted Zion so I have to admit I am a little disappointed.

3 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Bruce has built up a lifetime of goodwill with me so I trust him, but it’s hard to avoid the gut reaction that we will regret this. Based on the film I think Smith has a higher ceiling than Zion (I believe rankings will eventually reflect that) but nothing in his recent public comments suggests he’s more likely to pick us than one of his other finalists (god forbid, but he seems higher on Bama). I just don’t believe we are a good enough program yet to be picky about 5-stars. Zion would be our second highest rated commit ever! 

Something is causing BP to hold off accepting Zion in.

Is it personal fit? Is it skill issues that we keep hearing about?

Who knows...but it is going to be a uneasy next month or so..if we wait to get either someone else or end up with Cruz anyway...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

I get the thought process that the kid is a one trick pony, but if you’re that good at being a one trick pony, then I don’t really see the issue. The same thing applied to Cam Thomas…that guy does nothing else on the court except get his. And he looked like one of the 10 best summer league players. 

I imagine whatever defense concerns Pearl has about the guy is larger than his offensive ones though. I still don’t know how good he needs to be there, Sharife was horrendous at a position in the SEC that’s way more talented than Zion Cruz’s, and we made that work. Doubt Zion has the day one impact Cooper did, but it could maybe be close! 

Anyway, I think it leaves you in another 2019-20 situation where we basically kicked the wheel on the back half of that class chasing Green, Kuminga and Brown 

• Like 1

Saw a 247 post from a different insider from a different forum, and it mainly said Pearl is doing this with Cruz to get him to adjust his game and does want him to be a part of the team. Has apparently been a black hole when practicing with our team 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Saw a 247 post from a different insider from a different forum, and it mainly said Pearl is doing this with Cruz to get him to adjust his game and does want him to be a part of the team. Has apparently been a black hole when practicing with our team 

Explain that last sentence? Cruz has practiced with our team? I didn't think they could do that with a recruit?

I still totally don't understand Pearl's logic for holding off on Cruz bc of his D, and maybe other parts of his game. If he's a 5* he has to have exceptional skills so don't know what couldn't be dealt with when he got here. 

Maybe its a personality thing too? Is he a prima donna on the court or in the locker room? 

56 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Explain that last sentence? Cruz has practiced with our team? I didn't think they could do that with a recruit?

I still totally don't understand Pearl's logic for holding off on Cruz bc of his D, and maybe other parts of his game. If he's a 5* he has to have exceptional skills so don't know what couldn't be dealt with when he got here. 

Maybe its a personality thing too? Is he a prima donna on the court or in the locker room? 

Sorry I was skimming through the post. He scrimmaged in front of the Auburn coaches and the actual quote is "he did not gel with the team very well.”  Could’ve been randoms, walk ons, could’ve been with the actual team, who knows. I wouldn’t be shocked if they bring in recruits during practices, do something to make it fit within the rules. 

Other than Bryce, Pearl really hasn’t played many guards with tunnel vision since he’s had the pick of the litter. Im guessing Bruce still believes he has comparable options, and he definitely doesn’t seem to care much about rankings. 

here’s the rest of the relevant part: “Tried to control the ball, took bad shots, and was very cocky to some observers”

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Sorry I was skimming through the post. He scrimmaged in front of the Auburn coaches and the actual quote is "he did not gel with the team very well.”  Could’ve been randoms, walk ons, could’ve been with the actual team, who knows. I wouldn’t be shocked if they bring in recruits during practices, do something to make it fit within the rules. 

Other than Bryce, Pearl really hasn’t played many guards with tunnel vision since he’s had the pick of the litter. Im guessing Bruce still believes he has comparable options, and he definitely doesn’t seem to care much about rankings. 

here’s the rest of the relevant part: “Tried to control the ball, took bad shots, and was very cocky to some observers”

That fits what I was thinking. He just didn't show those other parts of a player's game in working within the team concept, and how he personally interacts with his other teammates. 

Probably why Pearl was mentioned as wanting to see his game better developed this year...and to work on those ball handling attributes too, in order for Pearl to bring him onboard....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

That fits what I was thinking. He just didn't show those other parts of a player's game in working within the team concept, and how he personally interacts with his other teammates. 

Probably why Pearl was mentioned as wanting to see his game better developed this year...and to work on those ball handling attributes too, in order for Pearl to bring him onboard....

I think the fella will be a take for the forseeable future, and I don't think Bruce will press for his replacement at this very moment. I'm sure if someone he values higher asked him right now to commit, he'd get him in, but I don't think the door is shut on this kid by any means. I hope he is wearing O&B soon enough 

On 8/19/2021 at 4:35 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think the fella will be a take for the forseeable future, and I don't think Bruce will press for his replacement at this very moment. I'm sure if someone he values higher asked him right now to commit, he'd get him in, but I don't think the door is shut on this kid by any means. I hope he is wearing O&B soon enough 

I agree. The kid just needs to show coach he is a team player. I, too hope he will. He has so much potential and can score. 

1 hour ago, johnjacob said:

I wonder if Coach is having Heron flashbacks? Remember how much he sulked his last season when the offense did not end with him shooting?

I wouldn’t call Heron not a team player, specifically because the guys on the team never seemed to dislike him. It was an adjustment on the fly for all those star talents from 2016, and Wiley and Purifoy got to see that they weren’t the hot shots anymore once they came back. Heron had to make the adjustment on the fly, and that’s more of a mental stress than it would seem from the outside 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johnjacob said:

I wonder if Coach is having Heron flashbacks? Remember how much he sulked his last season when the offense did not end with him shooting?

Doubt it. Heron was nowhere the biggest "All About Me" guy we had in Bruce's tenure.

• Like 4

Not to disparage the kid in anyway. Scoring ability is #1 no doubt. But are all the boxes checked when it comes to team chemistry? Potential players have to show the ability to mesh. The roster is about as deep and talented as it’s ever been. Got to make sure the new guy will be a good fit.

Edited by slyinsocal
  • Like 1