2022 4* LB Robert Woodyard Signs With Auburn

Paladin

Just now, bigbird said:

Me too

Scary I would have thought Mikey would have been first one to say that since it is about needing quality LB's.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's definitely the mystery position going into next year, but if Pappoe returns, I don't think there's any real concern.

Personally, I love what we've seen from Joko Willis. Not in defensive reps but on special teams. He's more than just that one big hit. Steiner has looked pretty good in spot duty, and Willis flies around. He's a guy that needs time to learn the defense but should take off once he's comfortable. If you add those two to Pappoe, I'm not particularly worried.

If Pappoe leaves... all bets are off. We've seen how rudderless this defense looks without a leader in the middle. I didn't love that experience.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

It's definitely the mystery position going into next year, but if Pappoe returns, I don't think there's any real concern.

Personally, I love what we've seen from Joko Willis. Not in defensive reps but on special teams. He's more than just that one big hit. Steiner has looked pretty good in spot duty, and Willis flies around. He's a guy that needs time to learn the defense but should take off once he's comfortable. If you add those two to Pappoe, I'm not particularly worried.

If Pappoe leaves... all bets are off. We've seen how rudderless this defense looks without a leader in the middle. I didn't love that experience.

I agree with you as long as we have a leader we should be good with returning players. Nobody mentioned Cam Riley, as he has the skill set. Steiner, Riley, and Willis will have also had a year in this system so I would expect that to be improved next year. Once you know a system you react from muscle memory it is when players are thinking to much instead of reacting that they are slow to the ball.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree with you as long as we have a leader we should be good with returning players. Nobody mentioned Cam Riley, as he has the skill set. Steiner, Riley, and Willis will have also had a year in this system so I would expect that to be improved next year. Once you know a system you react from muscle memory it is when players are thinking to much instead of reacting that they are slow to the ball.

I agree for the most but LB next year is going to have a have a big drop if Owen goes pro..I really hope he continues the tradition and stays for his senior year. I have faith in the young guys and this Staff but we need that leader in the middle to get guys in place, make a big play when we need it and teach them the ways of the war eagle. 

I like this cat out of Auburn High.. and that kid from Indiana but we need some continuity. Fingers crossed

Edited by Randman5000

On 11/2/2021 at 3:44 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

That's how I feel about it. If Pappoe stays we will be extremely good. Without him we will be good. We do have talented, albeit very young and inexperienced, LBs 

5 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

That's how I feel about it. If Pappoe stays we will be extremely good. Without him we will be good. We do have talented, albeit very young and inexperienced, LBs 

I don't think so. If Pappoe leaves, we will be sub-par at the LB position. It's past time for some of those young guys to show something and we've seen very little from them to date.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's past time for some of those young guys to show something and we've seen very little from them to date.

I wonder why that is? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

I wonder why that is? 

Because they aren't good enough to earn more playing time? Even with Pappoe out, little was seen from the three sophomores. Cam Riley played more last year than he has this season, but that was under different coaching.  Tisdol and Steiner have played some on special team, but so has walkon LB Jake Levant. So, they are about dead even with walkons.

It may take these guys being into their third year before they show out but so far their performance has been underwhelming.

Just now, Mikey said:

Because they aren't good enough to earn more playing time? Even with Pappoe out, little was seen from the three sophomores. Cam Riley played more last year than he has this season, but that was under different coaching.  Tisdol and Steiner have played some on special team, but so has walkon LB Jake Levant. So, they are about dead even with walkons.

It may take these guys being into their third year before they show out but so far their performance has been underwhelming.

Do you know the difference between Steele and Mason's philosophy on substitution?

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Do you know the difference between Steele and Mason's philosophy on substitution?

I've never seen a philosophy in which quality players who are ready don't get a chance to play. Steiner & Co. are nearing the end of their second full season of college ball. Sometimes it can take a while for the cream to rise to the top, but this trio is being mighty slow about it.

As far as Mason's substitutions, he's played three deep at most positions, except McCreary doesn't come out much and the three LB's are all we see until the clock reads 0:00 or we have a 30-point lead.

On 11/4/2021 at 9:34 AM, Mikey said:

I've never seen a philosophy in which quality players who are ready don't get a chance to play. Steiner & Co. are nearing the end of their second full season of college ball. Sometimes it can take a while for the cream to rise to the top, but this trio is being mighty slow about it.

As far as Mason's substitutions, he's played three deep at most positions, except McCreary doesn't come out much and the three LB's are all we see until the clock reads 0:00 or we have a 30-point lead.

Just asking if you knew.

Mason substitutes far less than Steele ever did.  His preference is to find the best 11-15 and rely on them. Steele believed in building the depth on the field.

I prefer Steele's way, but reading into a underclassmen not playing over two potential all-team players and not knowing Mason's proclivity for limiting substitutions will lead to a faulty assumption, IMO.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I've never seen a philosophy in which quality players who are ready don't get a chance to play.

Do you think Lee Hunter can't play? What about Brooks? 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Do you think Lee Hunter can't play? What about Brooks? 

I do wonder why those plus a few other freshmen weren't put in the two blowout games we had early on. They could have played in up to four games and still redshirted. Why did Loy play QB instead of D. Davis?

• Like 1

Also, most of our games have still been undecided late. Also, Mason is still installing a new defensive system, so the 1s are still learning, much less the 2s and 3s. Also, Harsin and Bobo are still installing a new offense and the offense still needs all the help it can get from the defense. Also, our special teams weren't much help in beating the top-10 team we faced this week. 

There has been great need to have the best possible defense on the field for most of this season. Comparisons to other coaches and other seasons aren't particularly valuable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Why did Loy play QB instead of D. Davis?

Why didn't DD play? I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with their substitution philosophy, are you?

I was at a school once where the HC never separated freshman in order to build their chemistry.  He said culture starts when the new fish learn how to swim. Dumb saying, but a solid sentiment at that level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Steiner has played in most of our games on defense. He’s getting reps. 

Also, you should look again at those snap counts. In the last game, until Knighten and Puckett left due to injury, the only guys getting snaps at DB were McCreary, Simpson, Pritchett (at nickel), Monday, Puckett, and Knighten. That was six guys for five spots. After Knighten went out Tennison got some reps. After Puckett left, we played Askew and Torrence a bit. There was certainly no 3-deep.

We’ve really, really tightened the rotations since the bye week. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Steiner has played in most of our games on defense. He’s getting reps. 

Has he? I don’t remember seeing him on defense just special teams. Only time I remember him on defense was the Georgia state game and he was bad 

Edited by Sizzle

He played in both of the first two games, and he replaced McClain after his ejection in the Penn State game. Then, he played against GSU, and he got reps against Arkansas. I don't know about last week.

Edited by mcgufcm
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Also, you should look again at those snap counts. In the last game, until Knighten and Puckett left due to injury, the only guys getting snaps at DB were McCreary, Simpson, Pritchett (at nickel), Monday, Puckett, and Knighten. That was six guys for five spots. After Knighten went out Tennison got some reps. After Puckett left, we played Askew and Torrence a bit. There was certainly no 3-deep.

We’ve really, really tightened the rotations since the bye week. 

Auburn played 23 players on defense against Ole Miss. (ITAT participation sheet) None of the younger LB's played, only the three upper classmen. That's defense only, special teams not included.

@Mikey Yeah, I didn't remember seeing Steiner out there last week, but that 23 number supports my point. Our rotations are tight across the board, not just at LB. They played three guys at two spots at LB. They played three guys (Hall, Moultry, Leota) at two Edge spots. They played (essentially) one guy at Nickel (Pritchett). They played eight CBs and Safeties, but that only happened because Knighten and Puckett went down with injury. Tennison, Torrence, and Askew only played after those guys were hurt. Otherwise, it would've been five guys. They played six guys at the three DT/DE spots (Harris, Wooden, Pegues, Fair, Burks, and Walker).

That's not a three deep at any position. This was @bigbird's point about our rotation philosophy. Mason has cut our rotations way, way down since the bye week. It's basically two-deep for some positions and starter-never-leaves-the-field at others. McClain, McCreary, and Monday never come off. When we're in Nickel, two of Pritchett, Simpson, and Knighten are on the field are out there 100% of the snaps. Lately, Puckett and Knighten have played close to every snap.

That's not because we have no talent behind any of those positions. That's because we're clearly shortening rotations at every spot. It's not unique to Steiner. Torrence and Askew and Kaufman were getting PT earlier this year. Same for Butler at DT/DE. Steiner too, but all those guys are sidelined now. Mason has essentially done what basketball coaches do in the Tourney or the playoffs. Shorten the rotation and improve the team by playing your best guys larger minutes. You can't do it all season, but you can down the stretch run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

@Mikey Yeah, I didn't remember seeing Steiner out there last week, but that 23 number supports my point. Our rotations are tight across the board, not just at LB. They played three guys at two spots at LB. They played three guys (Hall, Moultry, Leota) at two Edge spots. They played (essentially) one guy at Nickel (Pritchett). They played eight CBs and Safeties, but that only happened because Knighten and Puckett went down with injury. Tennison, Torrence, and Askew only played after those guys were hurt. Otherwise, it would've been five guys. They played six guys at the three DT/DE spots (Harris, Wooden, Pegues, Fair, Burks, and Walker).

That's not a three deep at any position. This was @bigbird's point about our rotation philosophy. Mason has cut our rotations way, way down since the bye week. It's basically two-deep for some positions and starter-never-leaves-the-field at others. McClain, McCreary, and Monday never come off. When we're in Nickel, two of Pritchett, Simpson, and Knighten are on the field are out there 100% of the snaps. Lately, Puckett and Knighten have played close to every snap.

That's not because we have no talent behind any of those positions. That's because we're clearly shortening rotations at every spot. It's not unique to Steiner. Torrence and Askew and Kaufman were getting PT earlier this year. Same for Butler at DT/DE. Steiner too, but all those guys are sidelined now. Mason has essentially done what basketball coaches do in the Tourney or the playoffs. Shorten the rotation and improve the team by playing your best guys larger minutes. You can't do it all season, but you can down the stretch run.

Well stated

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Under Mason, Auburn will likely try to maintain the same 11 players the majority of the game to limit substitution. 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/StatTiger-Column-a-look-at-new-Auburn-coach-Derek-Masons-style-as-a-defensive-coordinator-161355836/