Trust in government

creed

I was watching a segment on GMA with Evan Osnos and he stated the trust in government is only 18 percent. To me that indicates a major failure of the executive, legislative and judicial branches of our system, which begs the question WHY? 

2 hours ago, creed said:

I was watching a segment on GMA with Evan Osnos and he stated the trust in government is only 18 percent. To me that indicates a major failure of the executive, legislative and judicial branches of our system, which begs the question WHY? 

Could it be the cult leading former President and his minions spreading of blatantly false information? The same mindset that thinks it is cute for portions of stadium crowds to chant "f*** Joe Biden" at football games? The list is long, but must include right wing media that simply lives in a fantasy world of their own making.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

29 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Could it be the cult leading former President and his minions spreading of blatantly false information? The same mindset that thinks it is cute for portions of stadium crowds to chant "f*** Joe Biden" at football games? The list is long, but must include right wing media that simply lives in a fantasy world of their own making.

Why must people look to the past to explain away their own failures?  If something needs to be fixed, fix it.  Lead, follow or get out of the way.  Joe needs to get out of the way.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, creed said:

I would say it's a failure of our political system, not the elements of our government.  We could start by removing the outdated systemic features of our election system that allow for minority political parties to assume power.

Edited by homersapien

23 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Why must people look to the past to explain away their own failures?  If something needs to be fixed, fix it.  Lead, follow or get out of the way.  Joe needs to get out of the way.

Whether or not you like it, Joe Biden won a presidential election.  He doesn't need to get out of the way until he is legally defeated in the next election.

You do believe that, do you not?

Edited by homersapien

16 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Whether or not you like it, Joe Biden won a presidential election.  He doesn't need to get out of the way until he is legally defeated in the next election.

You do believe that, do you not?

I believe he is the President and he is the reason we have no unity as he preached during his inauguration.  His *unity* is his way or the highway.  I just hope he will not make it even worse for the next 3+ years.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

By your own words, you are unwilling to allow him to lead effectively.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

I believe he is the President and he is the reason we have no unity as he preached during his inauguration.  His *unity* is his way or the highway.  I just hope he will not make it even worse for the next 3+ years.

Where were you between 2016 and 2020?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Yep, that's the reason.  Biden squandered all of the unity that president Trump so carefully nurtured during his time in office. :lmao:

I don't know if the problem here is that you don't think before posting, or you do.

Edited by homersapien
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Where were you between 2016 and 2020?

15 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yep, that's the reason.  Biden squandered all of the unity that president Trump so carefully nurtured during his time in office. :lmao:

I don't know if the problem here is that you don't think before posting, or you do.

After 2016 through 2020 it was felt we were divided more than ever.  One of Biden’s goals was to unite the country and it was highlighted during his inauguration speech.  I’ve been somewhat quiet on his handling of affairs to see if his unity would take hold.  His actions are anything but unifying in my opinion.

I don’t know if the problem is that you can’t see past your own partisanship or you don’t want to.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I don’t know if the problem is that you can’t see past your own partisanship or you don’t want to.

I will freely admit my "partisanship".  (After all, this is a political forum.)

I think Trump tried to stage a coup, thus establishing an authoritarian government. I think the Republican party continues to act in that same mode and represents a direct threat to our democracy. If you support Trump and/or the Republican party in their efforts to subvert our democracy I am against you.

None of that determines the logic or rationality of any arguments I have made on this forum, which I defend using facts.

Edited by homersapien

4 hours ago, creed said:

That must be the approval rating for the federal government. Trust in local government is always highest since the citizens are closer to their elected and appointed officials and things get accomplished much quicker.

At the federal level, and somewhat at the state level, citizens don’t feel their elected or appointed officials listen to them or give a care about their needs or opinions. Throw in all the waste, corruption, mismanagement and political Pickering, then you have a higher level of distrust.

Remember, one of the most common lies is “Hi! I am from the federal government and I am here to help you!”

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, creed said:

Abhorrent border crisis, crime at all time highs, inflation through the roof, tragic blunder that was Afghanistan withdrawal. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, AU9377 said:

hey-guys-iheard-that-it-is-fruit-week-imgflip-com-richard-50741835.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Abhorrent border crisis, crime at all time highs, inflation through the roof, tragic blunder that was Afghanistan withdrawal. 

The man could broker peace between Israel and Iran and some of you would still find a reason to assign some sort of failure.  That is likely how the Democrats will retain control of the White House.  You all blatantly endorse being lied to over and over and then over play your hand.  That forces people to choose between the lesser of evils and nobody can honestly argue that the Trump puppets are the most devoid of self interest in any facet of their leadership decisions.

12 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

The man could broker peace between Israel and Iran and some of you would still find a reason to assign some sort of failure.  That is likely how the Democrats will retain control of the White House.  You all blatantly endorse being lied to over and over and then over play your hand.  That forces people to choose between the lesser of evils and nobody can honestly argue that the Trump puppets are the most devoid of self interest in any facet of their leadership decisions.

If you and others would stop deflecting with nonsense and quit making this a partisan issue it would be beneficial. 

Let the administration address issues impacting all citizens, take responsibility for blunders and I suspect things will improve. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PUB78 said:

That must be the approval rating for the federal government. Trust in local government is always highest since the citizens are closer to their elected and appointed officials and things get accomplished much quicker.

At the federal level, and somewhat at the state level, citizens don’t feel their elected or appointed officials listen to them or give a care about their needs or opinions. Throw in all the waste, corruption, mismanagement and political Pickering, then you have a higher level of distrust.

Remember, one of the most common lies is “Hi! I am from the federal government and I am here to help you!”

There are plenty of faults like the waste from mismanagement etc that do exist.  What we don't usually talk about are the things that government has been able to do right.  We too often, without valid reasoning, push back at every suggestion of change that is promoted by the Federal government.  If we were being completely honest, we would have to admit that without the powers of the Federal govt, Alabama would look more like a 3rd world country than one of the 50 states. 

The difficulty in getting everyone vaccinated is an example of the extent to which we have allowed engineered paranoia to run wild.  We actually do still control the actions of government, both locally and nationally.  The problem is that until something causes them personal pain, most don't take the time to be involved. 

We actually endorse waste if the waste fits within the way we have traditionally done things.  You could take 7 or 8 middle school kids and present to them all the basic data showing how much the U.S. spends on health care per resident, plus what the individual pays, and compare that to the level of care and cost of that same care provided by other similar countries to their residents.  There isn't an objective 7th grader that cannot look at the data and see that we have a problem and that others appear to be doing a better job.  Even so, people want to fight tooth and nail for their right to pay hundreds more and get less. 

7 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

If you and others would stop deflecting with nonsense and quit making this a partisan issue it would be beneficial. 

Let the administration address issues impacting all citizens, take responsibility for blunders and I suspect things will improve. 

What does that mean?  It is only a partisan issue because the far right is determined to promote fairy tales and refuse to acknowledge facts.  Then they have the nerve to say that if they were treated nicer that they would do the right thing?  We are 9 months into being nice in response to nonsense.

5 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

What does that mean?  It is only a partisan issue because the far right is determined to promote fairy tales and refuse to acknowledge facts.  Then they have the nerve to say that if they were treated nicer that they would do the right thing?  We are 9 months into being nice in response to nonsense.

Talk about fairy tales. Jeez. I think you lost sight of the OP.

So back to it: The far right is responsible for the border crisis? Crime? Inflation? Afghanistan withdrawal blunder?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Talk about fairy tales. Jeez. I think you lost sight of the OP.

So back to it: The far right is responsible for the border crisis? Crime? Inflation? Afghanistan withdrawal blunder?

No, but the assignment of blame to the current executive alone is just horse hockey.

5 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

No, but the assignment of blame to the current executive alone is just horse hockey.

Maybe I missed it, but do not recall anyone solely blaming Biden. Personally, I said this administration.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, AU9377 said:

This is really and truly one of the dumbest post ever put on this forum.   It’s was literally the day of Trump’s inauguration that people were walking down streets saying not my president.  4 years of the democratic congress going through impeachment after impeachment.   And you want to act the hatred just started this last campaign.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Trump actually did broker peace deals in the middle east.  Where is the love?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

This is really and truly one of the dumbest post ever put on this forum.   It’s was literally the day of Trump’s inauguration that people were walking down streets saying not my president.  4 years of the democratic congress going through impeachment after impeachment.   And you want to act the hatred just started this last campaign.  

I've read plenty on here that are truly in a league of their own. 

You act as though the impeachment hearings were in some way unjustified.  In any other point in history, he would have been removed from office for his blatant abuse of power.  Members of his own NSA team, in addition to multiple ambassadors that he appointed, testified that he used his office and U.S. military aid in an effort to coerce a foreign country (Ukraine) to publicly announce an unwarranted investigation of a former U.S. Vice President to damage his candidacy and enhance the sitting President's own re-election bid. 

The actions that were proven were much more damaging to the U.S. than anything that occurred during the Watergate scandal.  The differences between now and when Nixon resigned can be boiled down to a lack of decency now compared to the 1970s and the presence of tv entertainment news that has one purpose.... to support their guy... truth be damned. You can tune into other networks today and see Biden taking heat for decisions his administration has made.  In 2018, you seldom, if ever, saw Fox or the even more lunatic fringe at OAN being critical of DJT.