Giving Coach Harsin a pass this season

tbone4jc

16 hours ago, e808 said:

So u telling me a go for broke play instead of running tank or Finley on 4 and 1 is short sighted . That bad play lead to them having a short and making the game tied. Again u are entitled to ur opinion. 

Assuming that they would automatically convert with Finley or tank is very short sighted.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Assuming that they would automatically convert with Finley or tank is very short sighted.

Surely with the way the game had gone Tank getting a yard is much higher probability than that called pass play.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Surely with the way the game had gone Tank getting a yard is much higher probability than that called pass play.

Even Todd Ellis, SC radio broadcaster, questioned the 4th and 1 play selection -  “I don’t understand the call”.  So, its not just us that doesn’t understand the reasoning for such a call given the field location and how the game had been going to that point. Totally flipped the script in the home team’s favor. 

I think firing Bobo would be a problem, because we would lose Drew Bobo, and likely Eston Harris as well. It might make more sense to designate Kiesau as "Co-Offensive Coordinator" or "Passing Game Coordinator", and Friend or Bedell as "Running Game Coordinator" and have "OC by committee", in order to address the play calling issues.

Would firing Mason negatively impact recruiting? I don't know. Again, if Harsin made Schmedding "Co-Defensive Coordinator" and went to a "DC by committee" would that resolve anything?

Would firing Bert Watts impact things? Not likely. But would it be better to let him continue as a position coach and move the special teams responsibility to someone else?

My guess is all of this will be resolved between Sunday and Tuesday.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I am beginning to believe the coaching staff simply did not have the confidence in our offensive line to push a defense expecting a run two yards off the LOS to allow a running back to make one yard needed to convert.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, meh130 said:

I am beginning to believe the coaching staff simply did not have the confidence in our offensive line to push a defense expecting a run two yards off the LOS to allow a running back to make one yard needed to convert.

I think it’s that they thought that South Carolina was going to load up and prevent the run.  They believed that they could hit an easy big play and South Carolina was not fooled at all and there wasn’t any secondary option that TJ went to.   

Ole Miss just beat MSU 31-21. They held MSU almost the entire game using the same 3 man front Mason used. The difference was their edge rushers were still able to put on pressure.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

I think firing Bobo would be a problem, because we would lose Drew Bobo, and likely Eston Harris as well. It might make more sense to designate Kiesau as "Co-Offensive Coordinator" or "Passing Game Coordinator", and Friend or Bedell as "Running Game Coordinator" and have "OC by committee", in order to address the play calling issues.

Would firing Mason negatively impact recruiting? I don't know. Again, if Harsin made Schmedding "Co-Defensive Coordinator" and went to a "DC by committee" would that resolve anything?

Would firing Bert Watts impact things? Not likely. But would it be better to let him continue as a position coach and move the special teams responsibility to someone else?

That sounds like a lot of Chiefs running one tribe.

7 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Ole Miss just beat MSU 31-21. They held MSU almost the entire game using the same 3 man front Mason used. The difference was their edge rushers were still able to put on pressure.  

Sure, but when 3 isn't working, send 4, then 5

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I think it’s that they thought that South Carolina was going to load up and prevent the run.  They believed that they could hit an easy big play and South Carolina was not fooled at all and there wasn’t any secondary option that TJ went to.   

The "hit the big play" part is where the problem lies.  When you need a yard or less, and you have decided not to hand it to your rb that is averaging 7 yards a touch, pitch it over the rush and take the 3 or 5 yard gain. Run another play and if you have success you are sitting at 2nd and short.  That is when you go for the big play.

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

If that's what our coaches thought, then Tank should have been in the game as a decoy. With Tank out, the defense knew to look for something stupid.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Sure, but when 3 isn't working, send 4, then 5

I can't disagree. If you don't have the edge rushers like Ole Miss to put the pressure on, you have to make some kind of adjustment.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

If that's what our coaches thought, then Tank should have been in the game as a decoy. With Tank out, the defense knew to look for something stupid.

I wasn’t saying it was a call I would have made.  I think it was a stupid call.   I don’t know if the offense ran it correctly or not, but it didn’t fool anyone.   They had every receiver covered,  And the guy he threw it to had three defenders around him.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yup - you are 100% correct (and I don't usually see things the same as you, but  I do today!  Happy Holidays - WDE)

13 hours ago, meh130 said:

Yeah, crazy to think and believe that isn't it?   I bet you are right.   Where is that transfer portal button?  

9 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

I can't disagree. If you don't have the edge rushers like Ole Miss to put the pressure on, you have to make some kind of adjustment.

I'll bite. Why don't we have the edge rushers like Ole Miss? WDE

15 hours ago, meh130 said:

Are any of those coaches any better? Do they have extensive SEC experience? If not.....then things would be worse.

Boise State philosophies won't cut it in the SEC. Harsin needs to find coaches that understand the competition. I'm not sure Harsin understands it yet either. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Are any of those coaches any better? Do they have extensive SEC experience? If not.....then things would be worse.

Boise State philosophies won't cut it in the SEC. Harsin needs to find coaches that understand the competition. I'm not sure Harsin understands it yet either. 

Maybe you are right.   

I would give $100 to share a long neck with Harsin, but he has to tell the truth - what has he learned this year in the SEC?  Would be fun to be part of that conversation.  

I think he knows a lot more than he states, but he is a little awkward and so private we will never know.  Also,  with new staffs being built at rivals LSU and UF, might be a bad time to be trying to be upgrading our coaching staff.  Sure would be nice if we could get a couple NFL coaches.

I was watching Kellen Moore of the Cowboys yesterday.   Could you imagine if we had him as our OC?   Didn't he play for Harsin? 

15 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

And Ole Miss offense scored 21, 2nd half points 

22 hours ago, auburnphan said:

So u think a long pass play is a very high percentage play when u have no go to receiver and the qb has accuracy problems . If Finley at 6’7 can’t lean over for one yard against a collegiate defense then I guess I am short sighted

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

And Ole Miss offense scored 21, 2nd half points 

Well, that means they only scored 10 in the first half.   So what’s your point?   Look at the other side’s final, only 21.   If Auburn held to 21, 28-21 would have been final without any scoring by the tigers in the second half 

4 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Well, that means they only scored 10 in the first half.   So what’s your point?   Look at the other side’s final, only 21.   If Auburn held to 21, 28-21 would have been final without any scoring by the tigers in the second half 

My point is I wish our offense could score touchdowns in the 2nd half

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

My point is I wish our offense could score touchdowns in the 2nd half

I agree.  But sometimes other teams make adjustments and Auburn doesn’t click as well as it did in the first half.   That’s when the other side has to step up and make a play.   When special teams has to make a kick and stop shi$$ing the bed on kick returns.   Honestly, I’m just slightly less disappointed in special teams as I am with the offense and defense.   Auburn can’t  return a kick without a holding or block in the back 

Edited by aubaseball