Oregon transfer QB Robby Ashford commits to Auburn!!!

Sizzle

Ashford and D Davis have similarities and differences.  First both have very good wheels and could be classified as dual threat QB's.  Ashford is a dual threat that is pass first will use his legs to buy time to pass but when needed will run. D Davis is a dual threat that is pass first who will also use his legs to buy time to pass but will run quicker then Ashford. Both seem to be fairly accurate when moving but that was in HS. Ashford is much taller and more traditional appearing QB. D Davis has an RB body.  Ashford has a cannon for an arm D. David has a solid arm but not a cannon. D Davis has had a year in the system so should be ahead in knowledge. 

TJ Finley, Geriner and Calzada would not really be considered dual threat QB's but both Calzada and Geriner are mobile. Geriner has a super quick release. All three have very strong arms.  

Who ever wins the competition this year will win it because of some things. 

1. Ability to read defenses and go through route tree.

2. The ability to hit the deep ball on a consistent basis.

3. Hitting a receiver on the break instead of waiting for complete separation.  We often wait just a tad bit to long and that give Defense time to recover.

4. Ability to buy time in pocket to allow receiver to get open. This can be multiple things stepping up making throw and taking the hit. Avoiding rush enough to buy time and set feet to make a good throw. Bailing out but with idea of throwing so keeping eyes downfield to find open receiver.

5. Ability to make the throw while running.

6. Finally keeping drive alive with feet if that is the only way.

Spring Practice should be interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Ashford and D Davis have similarities and differences.  First both have very good wheels and could be classified as dual threat QB's.  Ashford is a dual threat that is pass first will use his legs to buy time to pass but when needed will run. D Davis is a dual threat that is pass first who will also use his legs to buy time to pass but will run quicker then Ashford. Both seem to be fairly accurate when moving but that was in HS. Ashford is much taller and more traditional appearing QB. D Davis has an RB body.  Ashford has a cannon for an arm D. David has a solid arm but not a cannon. D Davis has had a year in the system so should be ahead in knowledge. 

TJ Finley, Geriner and Calzada would not really be considered dual threat QB's but both Calzada and Geriner are mobile. Geriner has a super quick release. All three have very strong arms.  

Who ever wins the competition this year will win it because of some things. 

1. Ability to read defenses and go through route tree.

2. The ability to hit the deep ball on a consistent basis.

3. Hitting a receiver on the break instead of waiting for complete separation.  We often wait just a tad bit to long and that give Defense time to recover.

4. Ability to buy time in pocket to allow receiver to get open. This can be multiple things stepping up making throw and taking the hit. Avoiding rush enough to buy time and set feet to make a good throw. Bailing out but with idea of throwing so keeping eyes downfield to find open receiver.

5. Ability to make the throw while running.

6. Finally keeping drive alive with feet if that is the only way.

Spring Practice should be interesting.

especially if it's true Calzada won't be able to throw at all during spring practice.

He's been in an SEC offensive system so he will learn the playbook, and go through the meetings, which helps. 

But, not getting those reps with totally new offensive players is a tough way to get your possible starting QB ready in the Fall.

Edited by steeleagle

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

especially if it's true Calzada won't be able to throw at all during spring practice.

I saw somewhere that it's his non throwing arm and that he'll be able to throw but not scrimmage, but I don't know if that's accurate. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I saw somewhere that it's his non throwing arm and that he'll be able to throw but not scrimmage, but I don't know if that's accurate. 

I think he bruised or hurt that shoulder during the season (the week before we played them?  I really don't recall).   He played through that injury the rest of the season.  May/may not have affected his numbers. 

But yeah, he was roughed up and finished the season bumped and bruised I read.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ahsford -  I know nothing, but I hear he is DT and is a throw first QB.   TREMENDOUS! That could be helpful to keep the play alive.  Great size....has played exceptionally well in HS and wanted to come to Auburn.  Pretty sure we didn't really recruit him. 

This could be a great, great pick up - -especially being here for winter and spring. 

I am quietly becoming very optimistic about August.  Could we build some competition in the OL room and maybe pick up another WR?  L King --  I wonder if he will slide to the WR room.  No point in him staying in the logjam that is the TE room.    He needs to be on the field.  All he does is catch the ball EVERY SINGLE TIME.

For my uneducated opinion, I am going for Robby Ashford to start. This is due to the fact, I don't see tremendous strive in the o-line last year and we might need a QB who can move and pass adequately. 

Ashford didn't take a snap in two years at Oregon and I don't think he took that many the year before due to injury. I'm uneducated too. But Robby may be the guy. Who know.? I'm going for whoever gives AU the best chance to win. I'll support our coaches . They are educated and know better than any of us

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are a couple of quotes from former Hoover High Coach Niblett as well as the Hoover baseball coach (Robby was rated as a top 200 MLB prospect but there were only 5 rounds in the draft that year).   The baseball coach said his straight line speed "is game changing."  Niblett said "everyone sees the speed and athleticism, but his arm talent is exceptional.  He can make every throw and his deep ball is probably better than any QB I have ever coached."   If we would have had a QB this year who was good at throwing the deep ball, we would have had a much better record.

1 hour ago, autan said:

Ashford didn't take a snap in two years at Oregon and I don't think he took that many the year before due to injury. I'm uneducated too. But Robby may be the guy. Who know.? I'm going for whoever gives AU the best chance to win. I'll support our coaches . They are educated and know better than any of us

Amen to that!!

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 9:50 PM, alexava said:

This is who I would like to see win it. I like to have a possibility of a Qb run. 

Forgive me if this has been asked. But did AU offer Robby out of high school? I realize it was different coaching staff.

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Forgive me if this has been asked. But did AU offer Robby out of high school? I realize it was different coaching staff.

May have, but was it a "commitable offer"?   

Maybe someone in the know can answer.  I thought the same, but remembered there were different kinds of offers.  I am pretty sure it was not, b/c I did not go look up his video during that recruiting season. 

3 hours ago, DAG said:

For my uneducated opinion, I am going for Robby Ashford to start. This is due to the fact, I don't see tremendous strive in the o-line last year and we might need a QB who can move and pass adequately. 

I think the Italian Hot Pocket will win the job, but Ashford will be a close second because he is mobile and can keep the play alive.  Calzone brings a ton of experience to the table and I suspect that will give him the edge.  Remember, these QBs didn't get a lot of coaching during the Covid year - it was a very disjointed off season with lots of limitations when they all got on campus (for Ashford and Calzone). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I think the Italian Hot Pocket will win the job, but Ashford will be a close second because he is mobile and can keep the play alive.  Calzone brings a ton of experience to the table and I suspect that will give him the edge.  Remember, these QBs didn't get a lot of coaching during the Covid year - it was a very disjointed off season with lots of limitations when they all got on campus (for Ashford and Calzone). 

Until he transfers or loses the job, I am pulling for DD.. he has just become a legend in my own mind and I want to see him play. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

We were after him at first but backed off later. 

36 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

Could also play baseball...

Not so sure he can this season seems like I saw something about having to be in school by a certain time to play this year. He only hit 200 batting av. and only 35 at bats

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I’m not sure. And ftr I don’t know if Robby has any chance at all of winning the job. I just see a 6’3” throw first guy with the ability to be a runner. That’s who I favor or how I draw it up on paper. If I’m betting, my money is on Zack. And I’m not really excited. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Not so sure he can this season seems like I saw something about having to be in school by a certain time to play this year. He only hit 200 batting av. and only 35 at bats

Bat avg of 200 is not that bad. I hit less, but my HS coach was Helen Keller. lol  wde

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

His 247 profile shows we offered and Garner and Dillingham were recruiting him. Looks like he had a pretty solid list of offers. I linked his recruiting profile below. I am curious why we backed off as Golf said. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Robby-Ashford-46043143/high-school-195786/

56 minutes ago, AU North said:

Bat avg of 200 is not that bad. I hit less, but my HS coach was Helen Keller. lol  wde

Frick you're an old fart I remember old Helen she like to party at times. I think she may have been bipolar

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Frick you're an old fart I remember old Helen she like to party at times. I think she may have been bipolar

The crazy ones are the best ones until they're not

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The crazy ones are the best ones until they're not

Duck guides in Arkansas, when the ducks aren't flying, are known for dispensing wisdom.   One told me once "women are different than people."   He got divorced for the third time 2 years later.  

• Haha 1