Coach Derek Mason out?

Tony4AU

7 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Reason to be concerned.  He hasn’t been seen much since before the bowl game.

Any ideas why Ok St.? Don't seem like a promotion to me. Is there more to it?

7 hours ago, au302 said:

A poster on another board after the Scar loss said that Schmedding was basically going to be the DC for the IB. Laughed it off until I watched the IB. Still probably not true, but has had me thinking since then

Does make u wonder. We saw schemes in the IB we hadn't seen all year

I’ve been happy with Mason as a DC but honestly I expected more from him as a recruiter. Maybe he’s one of those guys who does his job quietly but I don’t recall seeing his name brought up a lot by recruits. Just don’t get jumping to the Big 12 as their profile is shrinking with the loss of OU and Texas. 

Looks like he’s in “anywhere but Auburn” mood.  If I’m in charge of the defense but my boss has someone else craft the scheme for our biggest game of the year, I’m probably looking for a way out.  Based on the guys who’re hitting the portal and some recent IG story comments from outgoing draftees, looks to be a lockerroom divide…maybe a rift between HC and DC is part of that.

All speculation based on rumor.

Edited by AUDevil
  • Like 2

Just now, AuburnEagle79 said:

Seems strange, right? 

Yeah iono. I will say if Mason exits it will alarm the red flags for me . Of course, if he doesn’t , this will go into my ever increasing gossip mill that those in the know seem to push. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Does make u wonder. We saw schemes in the IB we hadn't seen all year

If that’s really what happened then maybe it’s for the best. It was our best defensive effort all year. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

And the roller coaster ride continues. Recruited his rear off, so if he leaves, that's my biggest disappointment. 

Which recruits did he play a big role in landing? I don’t remember him being mentioned a lot on the recruiting front. Not saying he didn’t have a big impact, I just don’t remember hearing his specific impact as much as I expected. 

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Who would want to work for that mullet sporting nub job, piece of trash?

Because he's a MAN! HE'S 40! 50!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

So no Texas A&M, but Oklahoma state? Okay 

This was my initial thought.  He's turned down a lot better jobs he's been a "candidate" for or he's trying to get a pay raise.  Which I can't really hate him for.

BUT, it's weird now that every site is talking about the apparent disfunctions.  Him and Harsin aren't getting along both personally and philosophically.  He hasn't been around the complex much since the bowl game, he can't get "his" coaches hired.  That's a lot of ugly smoke....why is coming up now with this job and not the others??

Always some drama.  I expect some coaches to always leave, but leaving for Oklahoma State doesn't seem right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

This was my initial thought.  He's turned down a lot better jobs he's been a "candidate" for or he's trying to get a pay raise.  Which I can't really hate him for.

BUT, it's weird now that every site is talking about the apparent disfunctions.  Him and Harsin aren't getting along both personally and philosophically.  He hasn't been around the complex much since the bowl game, he can't get "his" coaches hired.  That's a lot of ugly smoke....why is coming up now with this job and not the others??

Always some drama.  I expect some coaches to always leave, but leaving for Oklahoma State doesn't seem right.

Feldman is normally the most reliable source Ive seen for coaching news. He wont put something out like this if theres not a solid chance it happens.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

If that’s really what happened then maybe it’s for the best. It was our best defensive effort all year. 

I don't think I would be very thrilled.  I don't think he is all that great of a recruiter and Mason is.  If Harsin puts in another one of his guys as the DC, why not just do that in the first place?  Harsin should have just let Mason do his own thing on defense.  That is one of the things I did appreciate about Gus Malzahn is he left the DC's completely alone.  Steele had complete control and hired his own guys.  I don't know why Harsin is trying to butt heads with Mason.  The defense was not the problem this past season, it was his offense.

28 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Right? It is like wouldn't this have come out much earlier? Everything seems to be so reactive with our group.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 90s Distortion said:

This reeks of a bammer like attempt to kill recruiting momentum. The timing of the release after the big win over Georgia and right here close to signing day is mighty fishy. Kirby learned from the best. 

This is nothing but hysteria.

We blow out teams constantly.  UGA is the worst basketball team in the conference, destroying them isn't news.  We were 22 pt favorites.  NSD is in 2 or 3 weeks, but outside a edge rusher, it's not like we have a massive amount of defensive targets.  We have 1 edge who is a 50/50 player, then the rest are offensive targets.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

This is nothing but hysteria.

We blow out teams constantly.  UGA is the worst basketball team in the conference, destroying them isn't news.  We were 22 pt favorites.  NSD is in 2 or 3 weeks, but outside a edge rusher, it's not like we have a massive amount of defensive targets.  We have 1 edge who is a 50/50 player, then the rest are offensive targets.

It doesn't matter which position group the remaining scholarships go to. If there is a perceived disruption in the program it can have an impact on the kids decision. Feldman tweeted his "sources." Everyone else is just quoting Feldman. Maybe I have missed something between last night and this morning, but I doubt it. 

• Like 1

Whoever schemed up the defense for the IB, I want that person to coach the defense. I don't care who it is. I liked that aggressiveness. If Mason wasn't the architect for that then let him go to Okie State. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

it seems to me like after we won the natty we just cannot get out of our on way.we want to blame the red elephant clubs or jawja folks or whatever when most times we just need to look inward. how many times have you ever read where our money folks connected to sports are on the same page? do we blame leath on bama? good grief. looking back it is a miracle we got bruce and word was some wanted him gone but look at the joy and the positivity he has brought. we are responsible for our own failures and the sooner we look inward and fix it and quit blaming others the better off we will be. i know this will not be popular but sometimes the truth is hard to swallow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

it seems to me like after we won the natty we just cannot get out of our on way.we want to blame the red elephant clubs or jawja folks or whatever when most times we just need to look inward. how many times have you ever read where our money folks connected to sports are on the same page? do we blame leath on bama? good grief. looking back it is a miracle we got bruce and word was some wanted him gone but look at the joy and the positivity he has brought. we are responsible for our own failures and the sooner we look inward and fix it and quit blaming others the better off we will be. i know this will not be popular but sometimes the truth is hard to swallow.

I thought some of this was being corrected when Harsin was hired.

• Haha 1

When Harsin came in I thought he has the tough no nonsense kind of attitude that will toughen the players and the team will be stronger for it.

When Barbee was hired I remember thinking the same thing and in the end it just turned out that Barbee was an a-hole that drove away players and ruined the team.

Who knows, maybe Harsin's approach will work or maybe he is indeed just an a-hole that nobody wants to be around. We are a year in with two coaches fired and another coach that has left. Certainly doesn't look great for staff chemistry at this point.  

• Like 7