***** Police

AURex

Face palm all you want. It’s illogical to think this world or this country will stop hosting evil acts. Therefore we must provide the public with trained officers who are prepared to look evil in the eye and neutralize it. John Wayne or not. 🙄

It's certainly not illogical to think this country can do much better than we are:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/02/03/what-the-data-says-about-gun-deaths-in-the-u-s/

What the data says about gun deaths in the U.S.

It's certainly not illogical to think this country can do much better than we are:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/02/03/what-the-data-says-about-gun-deaths-in-the-u-s/

What the data says about gun deaths in the U.S.

I didn't say "Better"....I said eliminate. We must always have trained people willing to put it on the line in defense of others. 

I ask again...would you do it for what they're paid?

I DID. I wore the badge, the uniform and just to add I also wore a uniform around the world being paid even less to get fired upon in the name of our country and the citizens residing in it. Even those who don't like me, wish me ill will or even dead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I DID. I wore the badge, the uniform and just to add I also wore a uniform around the world being paid even less to get fired upon in the name of our country and the citizens residing in it. Even those who don't like me, wish me ill will or even dead. 

To add I made $29,500 as a police officer in my first year. Two years later I left making $32,250. 

To add I made $29,500 as a police officer in my first year. Two years later I left making $32,250. 

I wonder why my buddy is making close to 6 figures then? at least thats what he says he gets from his LEO job and his two sidejobs acting as paid security

I wonder why my buddy is making close to 6 figures then? at least thats what he says he gets from his LEO job and his two sidejobs acting as paid security

It all depends on where you work, what region of the country you work and how large the budget is. It’s an unfair assessment to compare NYC, Chicago and areas with unions v/s right to work states and cities/towns or rural areas where tax bases are so different. Pay disparity is very wide in public services. 

• Like 1

It all depends on where you work, what region of the country you work and how large the budget is. It’s an unfair assessment to compare NYC, Chicago and areas with unions v/s right to work states and cities/towns or rural areas where tax bases are so different. Pay disparity is very wide in public services. 

True. This answers my question. I should have figured that would impact it greatly. 

• Like 1

Also he had 2 side jobs. So basically working a full time job which probably included OT plus 2 side jobs to make almost 6 figures. That is not exactly great pay.

• Like 1

Also he had 2 side jobs. So basically working a full time job which probably included OT plus 2 side jobs to make almost 6 figures. That is not exactly great pay.

I thought about that but to be fair he said they were easy gigs where he just sat and slept in his car half the time?

I thought about that but to be fair he said they were easy gigs where he just sat and slept in his car half the time?

It doesn't matter that is time away from family. 

• Like 1

It doesn't matter that is time away from family. 

good point

I was offered 68,000 to start the beginning of this summer. Talked to multiple officers who said they make 6 figures easy

• Like 1

Problem isn't pay, it's they will allow low character people to have just as good or if not better chance to thrive. There's no weeding out. They equate a hard physical training to filter out people that aren't disciplined......and that's dumb. 

Then when you do get people in they aren't really looking for leaders they are looking for soldiers. They want people that will fall in line with the already placed culture. 

I can show many of the weaknesses as to why so many scumbag activity runs rampant with police. And it's also the style of training that's a problem. It's a problem in the nuclear industry as well as far as operations as most are from the military..........but with nuclear you are going to be pushed mentally as far as you can go and it's the authority of the plant that will be the issue, not the authority of people

• Like 3

I didn't say "Better"....I said eliminate. We must always have trained people willing to put it on the line in defense of others. 

And that's "illogical".

Problem isn't pay, it's they will allow low character people to have just as good or if not better chance to thrive. There's no weeding out. They equate a hard physical training to filter out people that aren't disciplined......and that's dumb. 

Then when you do get people in they aren't really looking for leaders they are looking for soldiers. They want people that will fall in line with the already placed culture. 

I can show many of the weaknesses as to why so many scumbag activity runs rampant with police. And it's also the style of training that's a problem. It's a problem in the nuclear industry as well as far as operations as most are from the military..........but with nuclear you are going to be pushed mentally as far as you can go and it's the authority of the plant that will be the issue, not the authority of people

I agree that's part of the problem too. 

police training and 'bro culture' can create a 'us against the world' mentality among departments which makes every day civilians and oversight the enemy of police and the preservation and defense of their own as the overall top priority. 

I think many police see defending their own from wrongdoing as the courageous and noble thing to do in most situations because they want all their fellow officers to have their back if they ever get in trouble or make a mistake and there is rarely ever any benefit or reward to calling out or opposing wrongdoing by their fellow officers. 

Saw it in Huntsville, Al with the William Darby case, where 2 officers were acting in a intervention role trying to talk a suicidal man into putting the gun he was pointing at his own head down, and officer Darby showed up on scene with a shotgun, stormed past the other officers and just blew the guys head off in seconds, claiming he saw the man's gun move even though he yelled at the man to lower the weapon right before he shot. 

Huntsville police commended Darby's actions and reprimanded the 2 other officers for not being more aggressive and for trying to talk to the man instead of shooting him for having a gun in his hand.

The Da's office and a jury disagreed. Darby was arrested and convicted of murder. 

The 2 officers that were punished by the department and testified against Darby "left" the Huntsville police, and the police chief and police leadership to this day says Darby was following proper department policy and did nothing wrong. 

Some officers try to be good stewards of their position and power and do the right thing and they typically will find themselves on opposing sides to their fellow officers and their own bosses, and there is no job security or career benefit to serving the public over serving your own Department and fellow officers. 

It's a whole cultural problem that involves the types of people recruited to police academies and the training and supervisory environment they receive and are hired into 

And that's "illogical".

No sir it's not. HISTORY is on my side. 

I was offered 68,000 to start the beginning of this summer. Talked to multiple officers who said they make 6 figures easy

Once again it depends on the agency, region/location and tax base. Auburn City officers make really well...they also must work a lot of OT. It's part of their job. "Barney" over in Notasulga makes a lot less. Both are subject to being shot while on duty and "Barney" is more likely to be on his/her own. 

In some cases you are correct. Once again it depends on the department. I worked with some really good officers. I also worked with some duche bags. 

In some cases you are correct. Once again it depends on the department. I worked with some really good officers. I also worked with some duche bags. 

In all groups of people there will be some good and some bad. The problem with police is the good ones may not join in with what the bad do, but they won't out the bad and they get offended and stand up for every thing providing the bad with an awesome blanket of protection.

It's funny how that is eerily similar to racist in this country

• Like 1

In all groups of people there will be some good and some bad. The problem with police is the good ones may not join in with what the bad do, but they won't out the bad and they get offended and stand up for every thing providing the bad with an awesome blanket of protection.

It's funny how that is eerily similar to racist in this country

That’s kind of a blanket statement. Outing bad cops isn’t that uncommon by good cops. You just rarely hear about it in the media. Plus unions can often get in the way where they exist. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another controversial police shooting. Here's the webcam video. 

Shooting happens about 15:45 in the video. The police are raiding an apartment , a guy is in a closed bedroom sleeping. The police yell for him to come out for awhile with no response, the police open the door and within about 1 second of opening the door the man sits up in his bed and and is immediately shot in the chest by the cop, his partner then starts yelling "there was something in his hands" It was later determined that the man was unarmed and if anything was in his hands, it appears it may have been a vape pen. 

The police then spend several minuets yelling at the dying man to comply with their commands to roll into the floor and later to stop 'resisting' as they cuff him. 

On one hand the police know he owns a gun and they do shout for awhile for him to come out and you would assume that'd wake him up, so the police might be reasonable in assuming he's 'doing something' in that room even though after the fact it appears he wasn't fully awake or cognizant of what was happening . On the other hand, being a police officer does come with some inherent risk and you are expected in certain instances to put others lives before your own individual safety and comfort. You can't shoot a person dead for being suspicious or for not coming out of their bedroom when you raid their apartment in the dead of night. 

I don't believe police should be legally protected from shooting people just because they think they 'see' something in their hands, or are afraid the suspect may have a gun or might possibly be trying to reach for one. I think police need to be more reasonably sure that their life is in immediate danger before  they are allowed to deploy lethal force....even if that puts their own life in more danger in some rare situations.  

Better training, better education, and updated police tactics and training need to be implemented. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Another controversial police shooting. Here's the webcam video. 

Shooting happens about 15:45 in the video. The police are raiding an apartment , a guy is in a closed bedroom sleeping. The police yell for him to come out for awhile with no response, the police open the door and within about 1 second of opening the door the man sits up in his bed and and is immediately shot in the chest by the cop, his partner then starts yelling "there was something in his hands" It was later determined that the man was unarmed and if anything was in his hands, it appears it may have been a vape pen. 

The police then spend several minuets yelling at the dying man to comply with their commands to roll into the floor and later to stop 'resisting' as they cuff him. 

On one hand the police know he owns a gun and they do shout for awhile for him to come out and you would assume that'd wake him up, so the police might be reasonable in assuming he's 'doing something' in that room even though after the fact it appears he wasn't fully awake or cognizant of what was happening . On the other hand, being a police officer does come with some inherent risk and you are expected in certain instances to put others lives before your own individual safety and comfort. You can't shoot a person dead for being suspicious or for not coming out of their bedroom when you raid their apartment in the dead of night. 

I don't believe police should be legally protected from shooting people just because they think they 'see' something in their hands, or are afraid the suspect may have a gun or might possibly be trying to reach for one. I think police need to be more reasonably sure that their life is in immediate danger before  they are allowed to deploy lethal force....even if that puts their own life in more danger in some rare situations.  

Better training, better education, and updated police tactics and training need to be implemented. 

Or just why use a gun in the first place? could a non-lethal weapon been used? I don't know but it seems one officer could have had his taser out and the other have his gun out with the protocol to be the taser LEO is in front with the gun LEO behind him at the ready.  Its just... why is shooting someone the auto response for these cops?

I understand that tasers don't always work but say the first officer tried to taze it fails, at that point LEO should be able to ascertain he doesn't have a gun. If he does have a gun the second LEO is ready to go with his gun.

38 minutes ago, Didba said:

Or just why use a gun in the first place? could a non-lethal weapon been used? I don't know but it seems one officer could have had his taser out and the other have his gun out with the protocol to be the taser LEO is in front with the gun LEO behind him at the ready.  Its just... why is shooting someone the auto response for these cops?

I understand that tasers don't always work but say the first officer tried to taze it fails, at that point LEO should be able to ascertain he doesn't have a gun. If he does have a gun the second LEO is ready to go with his gun.

Yeah.

It looks like the guy pulled the trigger the second he saw the suspect make any sort of movement. May have had it in his head that the guy was on the other end of the door just waiting to ambush them? I don't know. 

I know police jobs aren't easy and these situations are stressful, but you simply can't just be shooting and killing people because you imagine or are afraid of a threat that isn't matched by reality. 

A police badge can't be considered a license to kill without consequences. 

• Like 2