Voter concerns vs. media concerns...quite revealing

SLAG-91

The "unwashed masses" being primarily concerned about things very close to home (economy, safety, education), and the bloviating media being overly concerned about wedge issues...disappointing, but unsurprising. The wedge issues pay their freight.

It shouldn't be a surprise to the legacy media that more than a few folks really don't have much use for them. Any of them. They, along with many of our congress critters, really don't give a peanut-laden poop about us.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

What the media reports is of little consequence.  Unless, we believe that they are "educating" us.

The problem is not the media.  The problem is the blurred (erased) line between information and entertainment, news and propaganda.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good statement, but most new sources, especially the MSM, both right and left, are extremely biased.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Good statement, but most new sources, especially the MSM, both right and left, are extremely biased.

Agree.  However, shame on us if we cannot recognize bias, propaganda, lies, our own internal bias. 

Both sides would like to indoctrinate us so,,,  we no longer think, deeply, critically, for ourselves.  And, once you get sucked into either echo chamber, the ability to get out becomes more difficult.  You are encouraged to believe everything or,,, god forbid,,, you can't be in the club any longer.

• Like 2

So true.

I would add,,, not only are the parties doing it to us through the media but,,, we are doing it to each other.

I have been guilty of it.  I have said some things to some very good people in this forum that I deeply regret.  I did it just because they didn't agree with me.  Shameful.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

What the media reports is of little consequence.  Unless, we believe that they are "educating" us.

The problem is not the media.  The problem is the blurred (erased) line between information and entertainment, news and propaganda.

The problem is ideology over country. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

I would add,,, not only are the parties doing it to us through the media but,,, we are doing it to each other.

I have been guilty of it.  I have said some things to some very good people in this forum that I deeply regret.  I did it just because they didn't agree with me.  Shameful.

Yep ditto. Sometimes emotion overtakes the brain. I guess we are human.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

We all are guilty.

• Like 1

ok who hacked 78'S account?

• Haha 2

i am going to have to step in and say right now this committee is very important and clunker and shamity want no part of the truth.................

Meanwhile, inflation "unexpectedly" hits a 40-year high of 8.6% in May...but yeah, made-for-TV kabuki theater is more important. 🙄

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

More small potatoes...nothing to see here...

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i am going to have to step in and say right now this committee is very important and clunker and shamity want no part of the truth.................

It's important...to show the country that the house and senate ideologs could care less about the country and want to create theater and drama to shield from their failure to lead. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, autigeremt said:

It's important...to show the country that the house and senate ideologs could care less about the country and want to create theater and drama to shield from their failure to lead. 

Could there be any motive to preserve democracy? 

Has one party, by deed, shown us their answer to a dysfunctional government, to take over by force and, install THEIR leader?  To defy democracy?

Is democracy important?

2 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Could there be any motive to preserve democracy? 

Has one party, by deed, shown us their answer to a dysfunctional government, to take over by force and, install THEIR leader?  To defy democracy?

Is democracy important?

The Republic is very important. If you think we need this cinema to get to the bottom of the crime.........I mean seriously?

7 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

Meanwhile, inflation "unexpectedly" hits a 40-year high of 8.6% in May...but yeah, made-for-TV kabuki theater is more important. 🙄

Actually it is.

The investigation to account for 1/6 is FAR more important. The economy will eventually recover. 

Our democracy may not.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

30 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Actually it is.

The investigation to account for 1/6 is FAR more important. The economy will eventually recover. 

Our democracy may not.

Will democracy survive with a Trump 2024 failure? Just your thoughts on point of no return.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/01/biden-must-prove-trumpism-fails-democracy/621173/

But the most immediate threat to American democracy may not be the willingness of Trumpist toadies to manipulate election administration, but the White House’s failure to curtail the pandemic and ensure the broad-based prosperity that the former vice president vowed to provide.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Actually it is.

Our democracy may not.

Perhaps it is more important to you and maybe me. Not much of anything trumps economic concerns of people struggling.

6 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Will democracy survive with a Trump 2024 failure? Just your thoughts on point of no return.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/01/biden-must-prove-trumpism-fails-democracy/621173/

But the most immediate threat to American democracy may not be the willingness of Trumpist toadies to manipulate election administration, but the White House’s failure to curtail the pandemic and ensure the broad-based prosperity that the former vice president vowed to provide.

Agree but, you have to change COVID pandemic to inflation. 

2 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Agree but, you have to change COVID pandemic to inflation. 

I would think “broad based prosperity” can not be achieved given current inflation. Old article ICHY and you get it

5 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Perhaps it is more important to you and maybe me. Not much of anything trumps economic concerns of people struggling.

It isn't really an either/or situation.  We have to address both.  We have drifted far too close to fascism,,, again.  The danger of unfettered capitalism.

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

I would think “broad based prosperity” can not be achieved given current inflation. Old article ICHY and you get it

Yes sir.  That is the issue,,, BROAD prosperity.  Our economy has become far too narrow. 

And yes, I get.  Just making the point that after this crisis there will be another.  We cannot expect a weak government to effectively address any crisis. 

I’m just going to say what I think I saw happen using just my common sense and no research. It looked like a bunch of idiots marched to the Capitol not really knowing what they were going to do when they got there. When they got there, they meet no resistance and were let into the building. Why? Why weren’t they all shot if they were going to overthrow the government. They should have been if that was their intention. It looked like they were allowed to do what they did, so that the other side could use it as political ammunition later on. I can’t stand either side. 2 wings of the same bird all putting on a theater instead of protecting and leading this country. Shame on everyone. I’m sure everyone will tell me how stupid I am but that is what my simple mind saw. The show continues on today.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, wcware said:

I’m just going to say what I think I saw happen using just my common sense and no research. It looked like a bunch of idiots marched to the Capitol not really knowing what they were going to do when they got there. When they got there, they meet no resistance and were let into the building. Why? Why weren’t they all shot if they were going to overthrow the government. They should have been if that was their intention. It looked like they were allowed to do what they did, so that the other side could use it as political ammunition later on. I can’t stand either side. 2 wings of the same bird all putting on a theater instead of protecting and leading this country. Shame on everyone. I’m sure everyone will tell me how stupid I am but that is what my simple mind saw. The show continues on today.

I've referred to the "bunch of idiots", as you accurately described them, as LARPing morons...and yeah, you're probably going to get pilloried, but I agree with your take on it.

Here's the ironic part: If the Dems get their wish after all of this and Trump doesn't run, the R nominee will be much more difficult for them to beat. Dems can't trot Biden out there against a DeSantis, for instance.

I am pretty much certain the media wants Trump to run again, because he is cash money in their pockets.

Media doesn't care about inflation that is hammering us working class stiffs..."just go buy an electric car, guyz."

• Like 3