Bruce Pearl discusses Auburn's offseason roster plans

aubiefifty

• Like 1

I have heard some people say we will Red Shirt Donaldson. It didn't sound like Pearl wants to Red Shirt him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I have heard some people say we will Red Shirt Donaldson. It didn't sound like Pearl wants to Red Shirt him.

In general, across all sports, does redshirting make any sense at all with the current transfer rules and the portal available? Players put on the back burner are already leaving their schools in droves. Unless a player simply needs/wants to remain at his current school, there's no longer any reason to stay. Just jump ship and look for some NIL money from somewhere else to sweeten the pot.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

In general, across all sports, does redshirting make any sense at all with the current transfer rules and the portal available? Players put on the back burner are already leaving their schools in droves. Unless a player simply needs/wants to remain at his current school, there's no longer any reason to stay. Just jump ship and look for some NIL money from somewhere else to sweeten the pot.

If the player isn't ready to play and help the team win then yeah you would redshirt the guy. The transfer rules and freedom just ensures that redshirt decisions are for the benefit of the player and not the school. Definitely no more signing a guy and then trying to "save" him for the next season. Though i'm not sure how much of that happened in bball with the tight scholarship limits. Redshirts still make sense for players that need to develop. But that plan needs to be well understood and accepted by both parties if its going to work. 

• Like 4

On 6/14/2022 at 11:27 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

I'm not entirely sure that the idea might not be for Tre to redshirt as a freshman in football while focusing on basketball his first year, then maybe picking up with the football team after he's been on campus for a year and seeing if he can't contribute. I mean, he's not the traditional redshirt because he won't be working out with the football team, but he'll still have the extra year of eligibility, so it works out the same way.

I don't know that he was ever going to redshirt in basketball. I can't really think of a good reason for him to do so that isn't for the good of the team rather than the good of the player.

• Like 1

How many basketball games can a player participate in and keep his redshirt? In football it's 4 games, no clue about basketball.

I think that can only happen in football at the moment. I don’t think he could play in any basketball games to redshirt. I do think there is a proposal on the table to get that changed.

• Thanks 1

True. Although I thought the rule change for CBB had been adopted already and would go into effect this year. Might've made that up in my mind though.