Saturday Night Scrimmage Thread

toddc

2020 Record 6-5(This is after Gus has had 8 years to build the program)

Yes, we went 6-5. And sure, if the refs accurately call Nix's backwards pass  a fumble, we finish 5-6 and have a losing season. But on paper it as a winning season if the on field results said different. 

And just because the QB room consisted of Bo Nix and Grant Loy when Harsin took over, I still fail to see how that isn't Harsin's fault for not recruiting the position better before he was hired as coach.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Ok back to the topic. The big question marks this season, well I guess everything's a question mark, but the really big ones are QB, LB, and WR.

Seems we got encouraging progress updates on 2/3 last night, especially LB's. I'm worried sick about them, but I've heard good things about Steiner, Riley, Woodyard, and yes, Powell Gordon respectively.

Receiver I am downright excited. A lineup of Camden (X), Koy (Z), and JJ (slot) excites the hell out of me. Still worried about this group until the lights come on, but reason for hope seems like a fair statement. 

QB though, yikes. Calzada seems to have 2 issues working against him

1. Behind TJ in "operating" the offense, which Hars puts major, major emphasis on. Pre-snap stuff, knowing the offense, etc.

2. His footwork is reportedly very rough and has not improved. I'm not a QB expert by any stretch, but I'd wager this causes his inaccuracy issues. We knew he had some issues with that last year, but I was hopeful Ray Isaac would help him make improvements there. 

Interesting note is that Calzada did not seem to get much burn compared to the others. He was with the 3's, and had a drive derailed due to a horrible snap. His one time with the 1's was his TD, but regardless, he was bad.

No clue, but my guess is that this QB battle goes to the very end. Maybe into Mercer. Not ideal, but where we're at.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

He's never had a losing season. That alone removes him from the "bad head coach" category. Great head coach? No, but bad head coaches lose more games than they win. Gus wins more than he loses.

Gus won on pure recruiting talent and schemes...there was no development of players because he didn't know how to teach.  He is not capable of helping players get to the NFL...the few that went went solely on talent and their efforts.  

• Like 5

At least be honest. Gus didn't coach the 2020 bowl game. 6-4 against SEC competition isn't something to brag about but it beats the devil out of Harsin's 3-5. 

Going back to when Coach Jordan was hired for the 1951 season, only two AU coaches have had a first year record worse than their predecessor's final season. Doug Barfield and Bryan Harsin. Chew on that for a minute.

Add Tubbs to that list.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Yes, we went 6-5. And sure, if the refs accurately call Nix's backwards pass  a fumble, we finish 5-6 and have a losing season. But on paper it as a winning season if the on field results said different. 

And just because the QB room consisted of Bo Nix and Grant Loy when Harsin took over, I still fail to see how that isn't Harsin's fault for not recruiting the position better before he was hired as coach.

and the fumble by shivers on the kickoff in the ole miss game.

• Like 2

Ok back to the topic. The big question marks this season, well I guess everything's a question mark, but the really big ones are QB, LB, and WR.

Seems we got encouraging progress updates on 2/3 last night, especially LB's. I'm worried sick about them, but I've heard good things about Steiner, Riley, Woodyard, and yes, Powell Gordon respectively.

Receiver I am downright excited. A lineup of Camden (X), Koy (Z), and JJ (slot) excites the hell out of me. Still worried about this group until the lights come on, but reason for hope seems like a fair statement. 

QB though, yikes. Calzada seems to have 2 issues working against him

1. Behind TJ in "operating" the offense, which Hars puts major, major emphasis on. Pre-snap stuff, knowing the offense, etc.

2. His footwork is reportedly very rough and has not improved. I'm not a QB expert by any stretch, but I'd wager this causes his inaccuracy issues. We knew he had some issues with that last year, but I was hopeful Ray Isaac would help him make improvements there. 

Interesting note is that Calzada did not seem to get much burn compared to the others. He was with the 3's, and had a drive derailed due to a horrible snap. His one time with the 1's was his TD, but regardless, he was bad.

No clue, but my guess is that this QB battle goes to the very end. Maybe into Mercer. Not ideal, but where we're at.

My biggest concern is,and we won't know for a while, but has Finley peaked as a QB, and is his future in coaching?

People say he has tough times with short throws because he's so tall, but I'm like dang MFer....he's been 6'-13" for a while now.  I think, if truly happy at Auburn, he's a guy that comes back and jumps on the coach train.  

Edited by kennypowers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

He's never had a losing season. That alone removes him from the "bad head coach" category. Great head coach? No, but bad head coaches lose more games than they win. Gus wins more than he loses.

plus with the buy out and all that i would imagine folks were trying to interfere with gus as well right? it is what we do........

On 8/14/2022 at 11:12 AM, Mikey said:

How many coaches in the HISTORY of college football have beaten two #1 teams in back to back games? Malzahn did. Love Harsin but the Gus Derangement Syndrome is nuts.

Edited by aucanucktiger
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

My biggest concern is,and we won't know for a while, but has Finley leaked as a QB, and is his future in coaching?

Pople say he has tough times with short throws because he's so tall, but I'm like dang MFer....he's been 6'-13" for a while now.  I think, if truly happy at Auburn, he's a guy that comes back and jumps on the coach train.  

By all accounts a great teammate, great team leader, and an Auburn guy as soon as he stepped on campus. But .... Just gonna have to have somebody breaking free at 30 yards on every passing play in record time, and stay out of goal-and-short - consequently we'd lead nation in passing yardage and scoring efficiency. Another season where the nation would tune in to see the Auburn spectacle where it compensates for one thing unconventionally and creates miraculous results. :) *sigh* but in reality.

At least be honest. Gus didn't coach the 2020 bowl game. 6-4 against SEC competition isn't something to brag about but it beats the devil out of Harsin's 3-5. 

Going back to when Coach Jordan was hired for the 1951 season, only two AU coaches have had a first year record worse than their predecessor's final season. Doug Barfield and Bryan Harsin. Chew on that for a minute.

Are you seriously placing these two coaches in the same bucket? You aren't the only one on here who remembers Barfield. Jordan was a gentleman and a coach and he hand picked Barfield without even a fake coaching search. He picked him out of loyalty.  At least Harsin has been successful and we had something to base his hiring off of. Don't kid yourself, Gus was heading down the same path as last year. He was ousted before he got outed in that regard. It was coming. 

• Thanks 3

My biggest concern is,and we won't know for a while, but has Finley peaked as a QB, and is his future in coaching?

People say he has tough times with short throws because he's so tall, but I'm like dang MFer....he's been 6'-13" for a while now.  I think, if truly happy at Auburn, he's a guy that comes back and jumps on the coach train.  

I agree, and it's hard for me to get excited about him in scrimmage settings due to his lack of mobility. Whereas non-live settings hurts a guy like Ashford in showing what he can do, it helps TJ. Because you could tell last year his internal clock gets sped up when the rush comes and causes his mechanics to go to hell.

Calzada has clunky footwork but at least has the arm talent to bail him out at times when the rush is coming. I do think TJ has improved, and will pull like hell for him, but I'm not buying the hype right now, either.

Wonder if Alston could jump to RB2?  Sounds like he had a great scrimmage.  Heard Tank was having trouble with his footing all night.  

• Like 2

is it fair to robby to not let the QB's go live since his running ability is a huge part of his game?

• Like 2

I agree, and it's hard for me to get excited about him in scrimmage settings due to his lack of mobility. Whereas non-live settings hurts a guy like Ashford in showing what he can do, it helps TJ. Because you could tell last year his internal clock gets sped up when the rush comes and causes his mechanics to go to hell.

Calzada has clunky footwork but at least has the arm talent to bail him out at times when the rush is coming. I do think TJ has improved, and will pull like hell for him, but I'm not buying the hype right now, either.

It's crazy how much a QB decision consistently affects our preseason mentality 😹

Trying to rid myself of my previous thoughts on Finley.  The guy was a 4*  Just eye test isn't amazing.  Whoever it is, just don't be scared to get hit.  And don't scramble on the snap.  That eye test on Finley and the fear of someone with Ashfords legs just bolting on pass plays is the only reason I settle on calzada.  However I was at A&M and he was trash against us but for 2 or 3 throws.  I mean, I was embarrassed lost to the guy.  

• Like 2

i was just asking was it fair to ashford not letting them go live to let him bring all his gifts to the table to the table. is it that big of a deal or will coaches figure it out anyway?

• Like 1

is it fair to robby to not let the QB's go live since his running ability is a huge part of his game?

I think so because you want them to be QBs first.  If he's not the best QB, do you want him out there playing the Nix game just because he's fast?  Pocket QB, to me, seems like it takes a load off the OLine

• Like 2

Remember our scrambling QB transferred to Oregon. Wait, our scrambling QB came from Oregon. No, wait ......

Edited by AUx
  • Haha 8

Wonder if Alston could jump to RB2?  Sounds like he had a great scrimmage.  Heard Tank was having trouble with his footing all night.  

That dude does slip a lot.  Probably cutting before fully planted.  I wish he'd just surprise a guy and bowl his ass over.  He's got the power to do so.  

• Like 3

I wish we had the edge guys to test him.  The pass to Camden on Twitter-He had plenty of time, zero push by guys in the middle of the DL, just being stood up.  You are not going to get that time for those clutch passes on 3rd and 10. 

Eh, don't really buy the complaints about our OL in pass pro.  We were adequate last year and plenty of times the QB had time.  Also, that drop back on the pass in the scrimmage wasn't 8s or anything.  It was pretty quick

• Like 2

Let me guess. The same individual character derailing a perfectly good thread about the current auburn football team. Let me add another , this same character bought up the previous coach I am betting. 

let’s get back to the scrimmage guys. 

Certain posters, myself included, usually get their wrist slapped for it.  IDK why some just have free reign to defecate on any thread they with 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Certain posters, myself included, usually get their wrist slapped for it.  IDK why some just have free reign to defecate on any thread they with 

Back on topic!!!

• Like 2

Auburn has never fired a coach in the middle of the season.  They didn't fire Chizik and Bowden resigned.  Harsin will last until the end of the season guaranteed. 

I didn't say he would be fired midseason, either. I said he might not last the season. The two statements are not synonymous.

Also, just because they don't technically fire a coach until the season is over, that doesn't mean he can't be gone before that time and just not know when the hammer is going to drop.