Saturday Night Scrimmage Thread

toddc

3 hours ago, kennypowers said:

Gus won on pure recruiting talent and schemes...there was no development of players because he didn't know how to teach.  He is not capable of helping players get to the NFL...the few that went went solely on talent and their efforts.  

And then his scheme got figured out and hampered by rule changes. He never adapted. It was gonna get bad quick. 

Edited by Didba
  • Like 7

Ok back to the topic. The big question marks this season, well I guess everything's a question mark, but the really big ones are QB, LB, and WR.

Seems we got encouraging progress updates on 2/3 last night, especially LB's. I'm worried sick about them, but I've heard good things about Steiner, Riley, Woodyard, and yes, Powell Gordon respectively.

Receiver I am downright excited. A lineup of Camden (X), Koy (Z), and JJ (slot) excites the hell out of me. Still worried about this group until the lights come on, but reason for hope seems like a fair statement. 

QB though, yikes. Calzada seems to have 2 issues working against him

1. Behind TJ in "operating" the offense, which Hars puts major, major emphasis on. Pre-snap stuff, knowing the offense, etc.

2. His footwork is reportedly very rough and has not improved. I'm not a QB expert by any stretch, but I'd wager this causes his inaccuracy issues. We knew he had some issues with that last year, but I was hopeful Ray Isaac would help him make improvements there. 

Interesting note is that Calzada did not seem to get much burn compared to the others. He was with the 3's, and had a drive derailed due to a horrible snap. His one time with the 1's was his TD, but regardless, he was bad.

No clue, but my guess is that this QB battle goes to the very end. Maybe into Mercer. Not ideal, but where we're at.

I noticed that as well Calzada not getting PT with the 1s. Maybe being injured really did affect his PT more than let on. 

robby and TJ got way more playing time with 1s

• Like 1

So you think he is going to resign b4 the end of season? Not a likely occurrence for a coach with the wherewithal that this coach has (IMO).

Did you read the second part of the post you quoted?

My biggest concern is,and we won't know for a while, but has Finley peaked as a QB, and is his future in coaching?

People say he has tough times with short throws because he's so tall, but I'm like dang MFer....he's been 6'-13" for a while now.  I think, if truly happy at Auburn, he's a guy that comes back and jumps on the coach train.  

CBH said in his press conference TJ has been like a second coach out there because he is so knowledgeable of the offense. 

• Like 1

Personally, I'm kinda rooting for Ashford 

image.gif.352aab223243e232e097a1246bcf5238.gif…big time 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

How many coaches in the HISTORY of college football have beaten two #1 teams in back to back games? Malzahn did. Love Harsin but the Gus Dementia Syndrome is nuts.

Kurt.gif.65bf42f34dc7420364a2576221c791a9.gif

3 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

image.gif.352aab223243e232e097a1246bcf5238.gif…big time 

The beauty with Robbie is we don’t know what he is yet. We got a pretty good idea with the other two, and i don’t think we can compete for championships with them. My hope all off season has been that we struck gold with Robbie Ashford.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Wonder if Alston could jump to RB2?  Sounds like he had a great scrimmage.  Heard Tank was having trouble with his footing all night.  

What I got was that tank would try to make a 3yard gain into a 10 yard gain and get tackled for a 3 yard loss 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Builder said:

Yes. I was there. If I had to guess Harsin has TJ at #1. I believe Finley took all the snaps after warm up just before the start of the scrimmage. He was also teamed up with Tank for most if not all the scrimmage. 

I like Robbie. Just not sure he is ready to make decisions.

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind sharing, will you be at the upcoming one on Friday as well? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

Kurt.gif.65bf42f34dc7420364a2576221c791a9.gif

image.gif.9b6d5ef52ed0b370a0d317931888a434.gif
I understand completely. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

What I got was that tank would try to make a 3yard gain into a 10 yard gain and get tackled for a 3 yard loss 

The Boobee effect is what we call it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

He's never had a losing season. That alone removes him from the "bad head coach" category. Great head coach? No, but bad head coaches lose more games than they win. Gus wins more than he loses.

You are correct.  You don't coach for long (let alone win) in the toughest division, of the toughest conference, in college football if you are a bad coach. 

There is no reason to praise Gus or, bash Gus.  It does nothing for this team and this coach.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It's no where near as bad as the bunker.  Seems like a decent mix.  The bunker is 100% of ppl trying to play a character on the internet.  On3 seems to only have 3-4

I just joined Auburnlive/on3 and it’s on par with this forum. Mostly good posters with the occasional group of trolls

1 hour ago, AUx said:

Regardless, I'll take it over, "The future is bright," then ....

giphy.gif

Now that’s funny right there. 

47 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Not jumping in to this argument. Just trying to remember if the Kentucky game was also questioned that year because it looked like they might have scored then threw a pick the next play? 

I know for sure Arky and Ole miss were given to us by the refs but I don’t think they were the same year but consecutive years

8 minutes ago, Didba said:

I know for sure Arky and Ole miss were given to us by the refs but I don’t think they were the same year but consecutive years

The bad calls were Arky and Ky in 2020. Ole Miss is a wash.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Didba said:

I just joined Auburnlive/on3 and it’s on par with this forum. Mostly good posters with the occasional group of trolls

I did too because $1 is only slightly more than free.  I won’t be renewing.  I’ve never paid for a message board and nothing they’ve delivered has been anything worth paying for.  They apparently dont have any inside sources.  Hoke’s articles about the scrimmage were basically regurgitation of what other members stole off other boards and one ex player who broke down every drive.  They’re decent on recruiting but there is something very cringe about the way people hunt down these kids to find how how they’re feeling that day.  Wish JLee never left JGTate.  The clown that Tate brought on makes his podcast almost unlistenable and I space out half the time listening to On3s.  They’ve got 10 months to change my mind.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

They apparently dont have any inside sources.  Hoke’s articles about the scrimmage were basically regurgitation

I'm howling over here at the fact that Hoke told everyone on Friday that ZC was the clear cut favorite, has been the best in camp, etc....now he was running with the 3s, everyone saying how bad he was, etc.

Dude needs to back to selling tools and getting inside info on basketball from his boss.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Harsin apologist alert!. He took over a team that hadn't had a losing season in eight years and promptly guided it to a losing season. Yet, somehow the losses aren't Harsin's fault, the losing season is somehow the fault of the guy who never had a losing season. I don't think that type of thinking would pass a freshman Logic course at Auburn.

Gus coached ten SEC games his final year and had a 6-4 record in those ten games. Harsin coached eight SEC games his first year and had a 3-5 record. Harsin wasn't left with a mess, Harsin made a mess.

image.gif

4 hours ago, au302 said:

Ok back to the topic. The big question marks this season, well I guess everything's a question mark, but the really big ones are QB, LB, and WR.

Seems we got encouraging progress updates on 2/3 last night, especially LB's. I'm worried sick about them, but I've heard good things about Steiner, Riley, Woodyard, and yes, Powell Gordon respectively.

Receiver I am downright excited. A lineup of Camden (X), Koy (Z), and JJ (slot) excites the hell out of me. Still worried about this group until the lights come on, but reason for hope seems like a fair statement. 

QB though, yikes. Calzada seems to have 2 issues working against him

1. Behind TJ in "operating" the offense, which Hars puts major, major emphasis on. Pre-snap stuff, knowing the offense, etc.

2. His footwork is reportedly very rough and has not improved. I'm not a QB expert by any stretch, but I'd wager this causes his inaccuracy issues. We knew he had some issues with that last year, but I was hopeful Ray Isaac would help him make improvements there. 

Interesting note is that Calzada did not seem to get much burn compared to the others. He was with the 3's, and had a drive derailed due to a horrible snap. His one time with the 1's was his TD, but regardless, he was bad.

No clue, but my guess is that this QB battle goes to the very end. Maybe into Mercer. Not ideal, but where we're at.

Based on everything so far, I would but my money on Ashford if he has a firm grasp of the offesive plan. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I did too because $1 is only slightly more than free.  I won’t be renewing.  I’ve never paid for a message board and nothing they’ve delivered has been anything worth paying for.  They apparently dont have any inside sources.  Hoke’s articles about the scrimmage were basically regurgitation of what other members stole off other boards and one ex player who broke down every drive.  They’re decent on recruiting but there is something very cringe about the way people hunt down these kids to find how how they’re feeling that day.  Wish JLee never left JGTate.  The clown that Tate brought on makes his podcast almost unlistenable and I space out half the time listening to On3s.  They’ve got 10 months to change my mind.

Hoke, JLee and Co. aren't why I left. They're working hard. 

Edited by Swamp Eagle

I think Ashford may not fit the scheme the best, but I think he gives us the best chance to win. And the best chance at a dynamic offense. Just my thought….

18 minutes ago, AUwartigerAU said:

Based on everything so far, I would but my money on Ashford if he has a firm grasp of the offesive plan. 

Agreed if he also has improved with not tucking to run too quick and turnovers. I know Cubelic said that Harsin told him that was a big issue for him in the spring. I don't get the vibe that Harsin is anti-dual threats. I think he just wants a QB to look to pass as long as possible before taking off. Don't fault that logic.

• Like 1