Why wouldn’t you start Ashford in Week 2?

RunInRed

He's got the mentality. That deep ball was the best one I've seen here in years. Question is can he execute intermediate game? I still think Calzada needs a series or two just to see if he's a gamer. At the very least, we have a full blown QB controversy

• Like 1

• RunInRed changed the title to Why wouldn’t you start Ashford in Week 2?

I like the idea of a mobile qb to open up the run game. But what if tonight was a fluke Nd not what is being seen in practice. Im not saying that's the case but a lot more than what we saw tonight goes into the equation

23 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I would.

I think he’s going to. Only reason I could think to explain why he got the garbage time snaps is Harsin wants him to get as much game experience as possible, as it’s now Robby time. 

The appeal of Finley was leadership, getting everyone lined up, and keeping the ball clean. Basically a game manager. I don't know. I really like TJ as a person, but if he can't keep the ball clean his appeal is gone and Harsin gets driven nuts by that stuff, as does any coach. 

• Like 1

I mean I would say TJ but two atrocious picks against Mercer...that's tough. I believe  the gameplan will be about the same next game

• Like 5

After Georgia State last year you could have argued Finley should be the starter but Bo remained the starter and I think that was for the best. Maybe that same argument could be made after tonight but the difference is we had seen Bo play really well at times before the Georgia State game. We have not seen Finley play well for a complete game at any point. And those two interceptions were really bad. The defenders had to put little effort to get them, Finley just never saw them.

Ashford only threw 7 passes tonight so who knows how a complete game would play out but he threw some really nice near perfect passes a few different times. He just seems to have an it factor. 

Others had said it and I think it is the case, Finley earned the start tonight but it seemed this game was still a continuation of the competition for who should be QB1. Ashford definitely made a case.

• Like 3

Honest thoughts... the QB room is exactly what we thought it was before the season.  With the only surprise being that Calzada is barely a 3rd string.

I thought Robby played well.  That was a great deep ball, but the later (crap PI call btw on Mercer) deep ball was terrible.  I guess my point is, let's not hang our hats on just the good.

It's unfortunate AU had the off-season they did, and couldn't go (get alignment) and get an OL plus QB.  Seems like the other parts are there.

• Like 2

Play it just like today. Start TJ. Bring Robby in to do a few things differently. The one that makes the least mistakes, gets to take more snaps. 
The better Robby gets at passing, the closer he gets to taking over. 

Edited by CCTAU
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

Did y'all see Ashford getting downfield to make a block on Tank's TD after the weather delay? 

It was a great effort, but did you also see TJ's good block to spring the reverse for 10 yards?

Also, did ya'll also see Shenker have to literally drag Ashford away from the skirmish near the endzone?  Tossed him like a sack of potatoes.

• Like 7

Let the debates begin but in all fairness it’s hard to assess RA because in practice u not letting the guys go all out and risk them injury. Today’s game  actually game the full picture of what RA can and can’t do. All I know he made a helluva case. Also protecting the ball has to be in the top 3 keys of a team winning a game. Let’s see what happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

He's got the mentality. That deep ball was the best one I've seen here in years. Question is can he execute intermediate game? I still think Calzada needs a series or two just to see if he's a gamer. At the very least, we have a full blown QB controversy

One deep ball was great. The other, lousy. School’s still out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Honestly I don't mind giving TJ another start next week with also planning on giving Robby 20 to 30 snaps if the defense is playing well and giving AU a lot of chances on offense. They really were two BAD picks tonight but it could have just been nerves or trying to force the big play to cement his hold on the qb1 position.  What bothered me the most was if I remember correctly, neither of the picks were thrown under pressure. He had his feet set and time to read the defense. Just going off the last half of last season and today I would say Robby will be qb1 by Penn St if I was wagering, but TJ could just as easily have a superb game next weekend and erase some of the doubt. 

• Like 2