Somebody educate me

JuscAUse!

We've got many threads devoted to or evolving into Harsin vs Gus and fire him and hire this guy. I want to be educated about the actual play, or lack of it, I watched yesterday. So I have some questions for the coaches and football guys out there to see if what I believe is correct. 

1. If one or both of your tackles can't handle his assignment, why not use one of your experienced tight ends to help? This game reminded me of the sack Brody game. It was obvious to everyone very quickly that Capps(?) needed help then, and our guy needed help yesterday. 

2. It looked to me that when our line did not get physically beat, they were terribly confused with assignments. Three men blocking air and the D player going unblocked. That's the way the 3 man rush consistently got pressure on our entire O line, if I'm right. So....at what point do you as a coach just line them up in tight, use the tight ends and just zone block? 

3. WTH were our LBs doing ? What were the D coaches actually trying to get them to do? I couldn't figure it out at all.

So help me with these questions, if you please.

Just an observation, # 55 is a grown man.

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 2

• JuscAUse! changed the title to Somebody educate me

I usually put most of the blame on the QBs cause their mistakes are easy to see when you focus on watching the ball.  Every now and then I'll watch a lineman and cringe when you see one just standing there not blocking anyone.   The loss on saturday was a team and coaching letdown.  Bet they are having fun in the film room today.  Hope the mistakes can be fixed.  

• Like 1

You assume too much credit to these coaches. The Boise Boys are in way over their heads. And they're gonna stick around as long as possible and take our money, which we owe them, while putting on a barely-get-by football program each Saturday their still employed. Only then will we truly see they've poured concrete into our talent pool and taken a big creamy crap on the red carpet relationships we had with local, state, and regional high school football coaches. Then they'll laugh as they drive off and call us redneck idiots. These guys don't have any answers - and why should they. WDE!

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

This is cute..I am not going to go through every tidbit here but the "experienced" folks are some of the worse disciplined. Have you seen Shenker this year? That is your answer? The problem is not only do we lack talent. We lack discipline and we lack recruiting. That is the death penalty for the program. It is what it is.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

Issue number one is we have no oline. Same song and dance as the last few years. It's what happens when your team has like 7 o line recruits in the last 5 years. Auburn needs to take advantage of the portal for olinemen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, I guess I'm stupid for wanting someone with football knowledge to answer the questions. Should've just said ' please pick out a word in my post and tell me how "cute" it is of me for asking questions. ' I'm aware we have coaches that don't seem to be able to recruit and that they aren't doing their job on the field. I'm aware of the lack of talent on the team, especially at OL. I simply want to know why or if a coach could come up with a better scheme with the liabilities we have, because the next coach is gonna have the same problems. But whatever.

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1

Specifically regarding the linebackers from Britt to McClain. Some might have thought they weren’t the greatest but those guys brought leadership and quarterback led the defense. Right now do we know who that person is. Currently a good amount of the veterans are the problem and not the solution.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hutchids said:

Issue number one is we have no oline. Same song and dance as the last few years. It's what happens when your team has like 7 o line recruits in the last 5 years. Auburn needs to take advantage of the portal for olinemen. 

Only thing more disgusting than our play is that avatar.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

3. WTH were our LBs doing ? What were the D coaches actually trying to get them to do? I couldn't figure it out at all.

Noticed this often.  Pappoe left his gap wide open on one TD run and ran into a pile of blockers on the other side of the formation

Talent and coaching. These guys simply not that good, and the coaches aren’t helping the situation at all. Terrible play calling and terrible situational awareness. Even Bobo was better than this and he’s horrible 

• Like 1

Agree w OP, the LBs looked like it was their 1st game (other than pappoe hit at the beginning). I’m not sure if they made any more tackles as group after that.  On the short psu td run, our LB was 2yd deep in EZ and never moved his feet.  Expected somewhat poor OL play which we may could scheme around (guess not) but very disappointed in the Entire D

30 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Talent and coaching. These guys simply not that good, and the coaches aren’t helping the situation at all. Terrible play calling and terrible situational awareness. Even Bobo was better than this and he’s horrible 

I'm having a hard time making my thoughts clear and for that I apologize. How about this- you are hired as Coach during the summer and you know you lack talent and all the issues our team has. But you have what you have now. What would Coach Sizzle do to negate the strengths of PSU and the weakness of your team?

With a line this bad. Just play into it with your tall QB and get in the shotgun with 5 wide. Let them through and throw quick screens and middle screens hoping for the best lol.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Noticed this often.  Pappoe left his gap wide open on one TD run and ran into a pile of blockers on the other side of the formation

When we (rarely) get the 5* recruit, they regress to 3* by the time they’re a senior😡

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Systems said:

You assume too much credit to these coaches. The Boise Boys are in way over their heads. And they're gonna stick around as long as possible and take our money, which we owe them, while putting on a barely-get-by football program each Saturday their still employed. Only then will we truly see they've poured concrete into our talent pool and taken a big creamy crap on the red carpet relationships we had with local, state, and regional high school football coaches. Then they'll laugh as they drive off and call us redneck idiots. These guys don't have any answers - and why should they. WDE!

You didn’t even attempt to actually answer his questions lmao

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

We've got many threads devoted to or evolving into Harsin vs Gus and fire him and hire this guy. I want to be educated about the actual play, or lack of it, I watched yesterday. So I have some questions for the coaches and football guys out there to see if what I believe is correct. 

1. If one or both of your tackles can't handle his assignment, why not use one of your experienced tight ends to help? This game reminded me of the sack Brody game. It was obvious to everyone very quickly that Capps(?) needed help then, and our guy needed help yesterday. 

2. It looked to me that when our line did not get physically beat, they were terribly confused with assignments. Three men blocking air and the D player going unblocked. That's the way the 3 man rush consistently got pressure on our entire O line, if I'm right. So....at what point do you as a coach just line them up in tight, use the tight ends and just zone block? 

So help me with these questions, if you please.

Just an observation, # 55 is a grown man.

So for your first question I believe this offense places a ton of weight on the center and QB to communicate the protection for the line as it changes based upon what the defense is showing. I also believe that this type of scheme is fairly complex, both the center and QB must understand it well. 

so why you see guy standing around confused is I think they are not getting the protection calls right either TJ or the Center. As for them getting help for the tackles. That is on playcalling TJ can’t call for a max protect with TEs if the personnel for the play doesn’t allow for it. 

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Didba said:

So for your first question I believe this offense places a ton of weight on the center and QB to communicate the protection for the line as it changes based upon what the defense is showing. I also believe that this type of scheme is fairly complex, both the center and QB must understand it well. 

so why you see guy standing around confused is I think they are getting the protection calls right either TJ or the Center. As for them getting help for the tackles. That is on playcalling TJ can’t call for a max protect with TEs if the personnel for the play doesn’t allow for it. 

Thanks. Excellent points. My son said Brahms would be missed for that very reason when he announced his retirement.

It appeared to me that when PSU blitzed both run and pass our OL was confused as to their assignments.  That goes to coaching.  Shortening the pass pattern and getting the ball out of the QBs hand more quickly would have helped.  Defensive problems not sure but our DC spent probably 90% of his coaching career at the FCS level which probably explains the vast majority of problems.

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

I'm having a hard time making my thoughts clear and for that I apologize. How about this- you are hired as Coach during the summer and you know you lack talent and all the issues our team has. But you have what you have now. What would Coach Sizzle do to negate the strengths of PSU and the weakness of your team?

‘I’m keeping it simple offensively and making sure my 1st round pick caliber running back has more carries than the QB’s do. Also I’m not killing my offensive momentum by subbing QB’s on the same drive. That’s the LEAST I could do if I’m an offensive minded HC

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

Thanks. Excellent points. My son said Brahms would be missed for that very reason when he announced his retirement.

Counters and traps in the run game.  Screens in the passing game (Tank made a huge play with one).  Multiple TE sets.  Confuse them, take advantage of their aggressiveness, and make them back off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We've had a decade of historically competent-to-terrific assistant coaches that just mail it in when they come to Auburn. Like somebody(s) outside the university insentivises them to suddenly be bizarre. They then leave and frequently become normal again. Friend is a recent candidate IMO.

44 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Counters and traps in the run game.  Screens in the passing game (Tank made a huge play with one).  Multiple TE sets.  Confuse them, take advantage of their aggressiveness, and make them back off.

Give our weakness in the OL (push, size, strength) I do not know why we don't run more trap plays, and split-zone.

The angle advantage on a trap play can work well for an undersized OL. It also provides the opportunity for a double-team block against the interior DL at the point of attack.

We have TEs that can work as wingbacks or sniffers and make trap and especially split-zone blocks.

A split-zone running play gives an advantage of more double teams on the play side, and a preferable angle block on the backside EDGE. If Tank makes it through the DL to the LB level, he is going to get some yardage.

I would run 12 personnel 90% of the time so we have 2 TEs in the game to give us additional run game flexibility, but I would also throw to the TEs on short middle routes were possible so the opposing D is forced to respect them.

Harsin loves to run outside zone/stretch plays, but our OL are just not that fast, and outsize zone creates poor angles. It takes a good OL to run outside zone well. In 2010 we were the masters at it with OMac at RB. But we had a good OL then.

• Like 1