were in lots of trouble

AuburnBasketball

We just dropped almost $90 million on a roundball facility. I believe that is a pretty good sign that some folks at AU are interested in, concerned about and committed to basketball. My guess is some folks in the compliance office are having to work extrra hard with what we are doing in football and now basketball so they are a tad overwhelmed.

The big dogs need to get a handle on the compliance folks and tell them that we are all trying to get to the same place and start helping us instead of hurting us. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We just dropped almost $90 million on a roundball facility. I believe that is a pretty good sign that some folks at AU are interested in, concerned about and committed to basketball. My guess is some folks in the compliance office are having to work extrra hard with what we are doing in football and now basketball so they are a tad overwhelmed.

The big dogs need to get a handle on the compliance folks and tell them that we are all trying to get to the same place and start helping us instead of hurting us. 

As for Cothran at UMass. He isn`t on their roster and there is no news on their website that mentions him. Not saying he isn`t there. Just that he is in hiding if he is.

I appreciate the kind words guys. 

I wanted to share the latest quote from Trevor Lacey.  (As quoted by Jeff Lee). 

The sky is not falling.  He may not come to Auburn but it will be HIS decision.  War Eagle guys!

Lacey said the recent report from Kevin Scarbinsky in The Birmingham News about Huntsville-native Anthony Komara, a walk-on at Auburn, being told he could no longer be a part of the Tigers' basketball program, would not negatively impact the Tigers in his recruitment.

Komara's father, Mark Komara, has sponsored Huntsville-area AAU teams for several years. Lacey is familiar with both Mark and Anthony.

"I know them, but that won't affect my decision," said Lacey. "If I want to go to Auburn, if I think it's the best fit for me, that's where I will go."

The article sounded to me like Auburn was playing it safe in terms of this kid being allowed on the team. Which is smart in my opinion cause the ncaa seems to be policing people pretty hard these days. Whats unfortunate is that this could have been completely avoided with better communication between the staff and the office folks and AU. I would imagine that Barbee is a bit peeved with his biggest recruits not being allowed into school, but hopefully he'll continue to coach at Auburn and recruit players that aren't so questionable grade wise.

Having no inside info what-so-ever this is all just my speculation from reading articles. Hopefully its not as bad as stated here, but we will probably have a rough year this year so we'll have to all wait and see what happens the following one. Hope we come out the better for it!

As for Cothran at UMass. He isn`t on their roster and there is no news on their website that mentions him. Not saying he isn`t there. Just that he is in hiding if he is.

If Cothran is at UMass, he is a Prop 48 enrollee and would not be eligible until 2011. If that is the case being Prop 48; he would not be eligible to enroll at any SEC school. He would have to be a non-schollie student this year at UMass for 2010. If he is Prop 48, this validates the reason he couldn`t get in Auburn. UMass also apparently has a player that committed to Georgia that is a Prop 48 enrollee.

...the people of power at AU DO NOT WANT A SUCCESSFUL basketball program...

^^^^^

This could be the most ignorant statement ever posted on an Auburn Message Board.

Look guys...It is obvious that it will take a few years for Barbee to get the talent level where it needs to be, but I am convinced until I see otherwise that his first team this year will scrap for every loose ball and play hard for 40 minutes every game and end up being a team we look back on very proudly. No, we are not going to win the championship, but we will fight and that is all I ask this season. We have to be realistic, it will take time to compete on the top level...

Bryan Matthews just tweeted that Reggie Ragland would be in Auburn this weekend for the LSU game.  According to this Rivals poster, Reggie's dad said that we should stop recruiting him.  Something doesn't match up.

Bryan Matthews just tweeted that Reggie Ragland would be in Auburn this weekend for the LSU game.  According to this Rivals poster, Reggie's dad said that we should stop recruiting him.  Something doesn't match up.

Does anyone know who this rivals poster is? There are a lot of questions raised but not many answers.

Maybe it was Mark Komara posting on Rivals? :dunno: I don't know anything about this Ragland kid, but no way would I would let my football future be effected because some bum a$$ AAU coach got his panties in a wad, and wanted to drag me into it. I've learned that people have as much power as you allow them to have. AU is a well respected university with a huge multi million dollar athletic budget, a brand new 90 million dollar basketball arena, and a well paid basketball coach.

There is no excuse for letting 1 guy hold a program hostage, because we don't wanna piss him off. Mark Komara to me is the basketball equivalent of a groupie, yeah he knows all the players, but he can still be left at the truck stop on the way out of town, because there are plenty of other skanks in the next town.

It sounds like the compliance department needs to get some extra help so they can adequately handle their job. I guess they are not quite used to two major programs on the same campus having two young, ambitious head coaches and their staffs with this many demands all in the same season.

This is all a bunch of crap. Barbee isn't leaving because of this and I can see the school wanting to stay away from Komara. You wouldn't see one of Eric Ramsey's kids getting to play football.

Wow.... All I have to say is wow.... Are we really gonna base our future of AU basketball on what some poster on rivals says and an article by Scarbo.... And I'm sorry but if you think anyone at Auburn doesn't want to have a successful bball program then your a moron. They just built a new facility, hired an elite coach, and a winning program brings money

This is all a bunch of crap. Barbee isn't leaving because of this and I can see the school wanting to stay away from Komara. You wouldn't see one of Eric Ramsey's kids getting to play football.

^^^^^^^  THIS!  ^^^^^^^ :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We are still in the running for Ragland. The rivals poster is losing credibility by the second.

This is correct. Thanks Westie!

BTW....LOVE the new avatar. I might wear that houndstooth!

Basically we are responding mainly to rumor and inneundo..from faceless internet posters...Sorry about the Komara kid...but I see no sinister motive here....Barbee will be sucessful at Auburn and I guarentee you Jay is in control over all programs and phases of the Auburn Atheletics

I have a bammer friend in Huntsville who is a friend of Mr. Komara.  My bammer friend said that Mr. Komara is involved with something (I don't want to say what it is) that would definitely cause AU not to want to have any ties to him.

I believe that the situation with Mr. Komara's son is unfortunate but necessary.  And, that everything else blogged is simply over reaction.

If Mr. Komara is indeed in it ONLY to help young men with their futures in basketball then I admire him. 

With that said, I find it hard to believe that as much as his name comes up in certain 'dirty' situations, not just with the Auburn Program, but with all programs there is some 'dirt' somewhere.  I don't think it is a bad idea to distance ourselves from him at this time even if it does cost us a recruit or two.     

Archived